308 replies to this topic

#121 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

Yes, it's tough :tup: All are appealing, and there are at least 4 that I would like as a book title (which is not exactly the same as a single story title). The task of picking one is particularly tough for a centenary tribute, 'cause we need a classic flemingesque title! I need to let them "grow on me" before voting...

#122 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

SKELETONS OF YESTERDAY got my vote. Sounds Flemingishly mysterious, scans well, and has the appropriate feel for a centenary celebration exhuming his historic creation.

(And, I've just realised, it's taken from Pulp's excellent Tomorrow Never Lies track.)

#123 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

Some of these are phenomenal.

#124 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

‘Forever Yours, with Regret’ seems the most in celebration of Fleming, so I gave it my vote. They’re all quite nice though. Also like ‘Quality of the Stone’, but right now it’s too much like Quantum of Solace. Any other year it might’ve received my tally.

#125 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:34 PM

"Between the Shadow and the Soul" got my vote. Wasn't an easy choice though.

#126 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

At the moment, I'm balancing between three titles:
- Forever Yours, with Regret: I like it very much as a short story title, and Forever Yours would be perfect for a Centenary tribute, but maybe "with Regret", though no doubt perfectly appropriate for the short story, has a negative touch if it's meant to refer to Fleming, hasn't it? I'm not sure.
- Skeletons of Yesterday: nice too, but maybe a bit too macabre for a centenary tribute :tup:
- Between the Shadow and the Soul: good one, that could refer to the dark atmosphere of the Fleming novels.

#127 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

Some of them are a bit 'John le Carre' to me, others really evoke Fleming. They're all stunning, not a bad one on the list. I have to say that fanfiction titles usually put me off for being a bit sketch, but this has to be the best collection of titles I've ever seen in one place.

#128 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

The Mercurius Affair got my vote. Sounds seriously exciting, sexy and dangerously intriguing.

Regards and well done to all to all
Harry Fawkes

#129 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:43 PM

SKELETONS OF YESTERDAY got my vote. Sounds Flemingishly mysterious, scans well, and has the appropriate feel for a centenary celebration exhuming his historic creation.

(And, I've just realised, it's taken from Pulp's excellent Tomorrow Never Lies track.)

So it is.

...but this has to be the best collection of titles I've ever seen in one place.

Yes, they're very good.

#130 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

I'll go for SKELETONS OF YESTERDAY. There were a few really good ones but in the end Skeletons of yesterday was the most Fleming-esque I think.

I really looking forward to may 28. I didn't thought this idea would take off like it did, but I'm so happy it did. Let's see - 12 weeks before christmas...oh sorry..."publishing day". :tup:

#131 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:48 PM

Finally decided on Forever Yours, With Regret. :tup:

#132 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

Finally decided on Forever Yours, With Regret. :tup:

Same here (without regret)! :tup:

#133 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

Went for 'All's Hell That Ends Well'.

#134 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:07 PM

I think I know which one Clink's is...

Now, I never said I submitted anthing, did I :tup: ? I just hope you were able to finish that bit you were working on, My Friend. Very interested to see how this turns out.

You and Fenna may recognize parts of my story from an idea that I was playing with a long time ago, in a different form, at a different place. I don't want to write the best story, just the bleakest.

#135 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:22 PM

I don't want to write the best story, just the bleakest.

Bleak is his middle name. :tup:

#136 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:57 PM

I'm looking forward to what people have come up with. I'm also curious to know what era most of the writers selected for their stories, and how many entries were sent in.
I voted for No. 6.

#137 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:36 AM

Finally finished my mulling and coming back to look agains.

I am a Forever Yours, With Regrets fan as of right now!

#138 AMVanish13

AMVanish13

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

Blunt Instrumental is pretty cool. Sounds like a Radiohead song.

I'm a little confused... Has the selection of what stories to include already happened? How is that all working out? If you've already explained this, please be patient with me!

#139 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:19 PM

Tricky, isn't it? I liked Blunt Instrumental and Skeletons of Yesterday, almost went for Eyes Without A Face before deciding it was too Barbra Streisand-y, and finally landed on Forever Yours, with Regret. If it was this much fun weighing up the titles then how much fun is it going to be reading the actual stories? Brace yourselves. :tup:

#140 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:21 AM

Tricky, isn't it? I liked Blunt Instrumental and Skeletons of Yesterday, almost went for Eyes Without A Face before deciding it was too Barbra Streisand-y, and finally landed on Forever Yours, with Regret. If it was this much fun weighing up the titles then how much fun is it going to be reading the actual stories? Brace yourselves. :tup:

Eyes Without a Face is also a French horror film from 1960, just FYI; not sure if that'll skew anyone's consideration of it. And yes, it is rather tricky to pick just one. Stuck between The Blunt Instrumental and Skeletons of Yesterday.

#141 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

I like Eyes Without A Face, but can't help think of this. :tup:

#142 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

I like Eyes Without A Face, but can't help think of this.

Ohh, that one I almost forgot. Soo...80th and...not very Bond-ish but a lovely song...great memories to that one. Thanks alot spynovelfan. (a bit off-topic)

#143 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:16 AM

I was wondering if I would be the only one who would enjoy a .LIT eBook version of this collection, as a complement of the PDF eBook?

PDF eBooks are nicer, but they are a hell to read on mobile devices with tiny screens. Besides, it's quite tricky to create a LIT eBook from a PDF one, but it's very easy to create one from a MSWord or HTML source (thanks to freewares like ReaderWorks).
Of course, I could lend a hand if necessary.

#144 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:23 AM

Quality of the Stone; it just sums up the collection as a solid piece of work, in my opinion. :tup:

#145 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

The poll ends in two days... Hurry, hurry to express your opinion! :tup:

#146 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

It was close there for a while, but no longer. Unless something dramatic happens in the next two days, it looks like we've got a clear-cut winner here!

That said, I'm with MkB. Everyone who can vote should vote. Who knows? It's entirely possible that something dramatic could happen in the next two days! Isn't democracy wonderful?

Edited by MicroGlobeOne, 18 March 2008 - 02:52 PM.

#147 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

It was close there for a while, but no longer. Unless something dramatic happens in the next two days, it looks like we've got a clear-cut winner here!

That said, I'm with MkB. Everyone who can vote should vote. Who knows? It's entirely possible that something dramatic could happen in the next two days! Isn't democracy wonderful?

Maybe everybody's waiting to pull an "E-Bay Trick" here. The bid will remain relatively unchanged on some hot item until the last few minutes when everybody starts bidding, and you have to keep hitting refresh just to keep up to date.

I suggest posting an exact time when the poll will be closed, so that we can all refresh the page on this board during the last five minutes or so to watch how many votes suddenly come in.

#148 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

Maybe everybody's waiting to pull an "E-Bay Trick" here. The bid will remain relatively unchanged on some hot item until the last few minutes when everybody starts bidding, and you have to keep hitting refresh just to keep up to date.

I suggest posting an exact time when the poll will be closed, so that we can all refresh the page on this board during the last five minutes or so to watch how many votes suddenly come in.

[mra]But wouldn

#149 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

It ends when it ends.

Which is Thursday.

#150 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' post='851384' date='18 March 2008 - 11:40'][quote name='Single-O-Seven' post='851377' date='18 March 2008 - 09:33']Maybe everybody's waiting to pull an "E-Bay Trick" here. The bid will remain relatively unchanged on some hot item until the last few minutes when everybody starts bidding, and you have to keep hitting refresh just to keep up to date.

I suggest posting an exact time when the poll will be closed, so that we can all refresh the page on this board during the last five minutes or so to watch how many votes suddenly come in.[/quote]

[mra]But wouldn