scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 11:02 AM

mccartney007 (02 Nov, 2001 04:02 a.m.):

Trevelyan (01 Nov, 2001 09:04 a.m.):
I wonder if this was RB original title? Perhaps he came up with a much better title...which seems more likely.

This was one of Raymond's titles, but it wasn't his first choice. I'm a very, very big fan of the working title Raymond had, but unfortunately I can't disclose what it was. I will let you know when I'm allowes to tell you what it was.

Does that mean that Glidrose picked this title? They don't seem to like any of Benson's title choices, except NDOD, which lets face it, isn't the best title is it? Didn't Glidrose do the same thing with Gardner's book titles?

#62 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 11:04 AM

mccartney007 (02 Nov, 2001 04:02 a.m.):

Trevelyan (01 Nov, 2001 09:04 a.m.):
I wonder if this was RB original title? Perhaps he came up with a much better title...which seems more likely.

This was one of Raymond's titles, but it wasn't his first choice. I'm a very, very big fan of the working title Raymond had, but unfortunately I can't disclose what it was. I will let you know when I'm allowes to tell you what it was.

Ah ha !...I knew it !. I knew Glidrose picked something other than Benson's first choice. To me THE MAN WITH THE RED TATTOO sounds so bad I thought it had to have been a chapter title, or something like that. This revelation serves to confirm my negative feelings towards the new title.

#63 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 12:39 PM

I don't think its a great title either, and I think as time goes by more people will realise that its not that great. It looks like it tried to be a 'Bondish' title (which isn't always bad), it just doesn't feel right. If your going to have "The Man with...." then what the Man has with him has to be something fantastic, like a Golden Gun, not a red tattoo. Makes it sound like an Agatha Cristie title ala 'The Man in the Brown Suit' to me. I could picture it as chapter title definatly, and I know I'm in the manority, but as the books title I don't think its that special (but then again 'High Time to Kill' and 'DoubleShot' are my fav Benson titles, so make of that what you will). :)

#64 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 02:07 PM

zencat (26 Oct, 2001 06:41 p.m.):
Thanks all! :)

Has anyone else noticed that CB.N is the ONLY Bond website to break this news? Maybe they're all waiting for an official announcement from Eon. :)

MKKBB and the Ian Fleming Foundation just "officially" announced the title!
http://www.ianflemin...bond20web.shtml

CBN beats the official news... again!

#65 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 07:11 PM

freemo (04 Nov, 2001 12:39 p.m.):
If your going to have "The Man with...." then what the Man has with him has to be something fantastic, like a Golden Gun, not a red tattoo.

This is a good point, and one that I'm sure Raymond understands as well. Perhaps he had something better than a "Red Tattoo." The amount of time that passed before we had a title suggests there was a lot of "discussion" about this one. My understanding is not only does Glidrose have to sign off on the title, but so does the UK publisher Hodder & Stoughton and the U.S. publisher Putnam. Like anything that's decided by committee, you usually end up with vanilla. To quote John Gardner; "The title thing has become a nightmare."

Still, I like this title more The Facts of Death or even High Time To Kill which sound more like titles for a Steven Segal action movie.

#66 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 10:43 PM

James Page (04 Nov, 2001 02:07 p.m.):

zencat (26 Oct, 2001 06:41 p.m.):
Thanks all! :)

Has anyone else noticed that CB.N is the ONLY Bond website to break this news? Maybe they're all waiting for an official announcement from Eon. :)

MKKBB and the Ian Fleming Foundation just "officially" announced the title!
http://www.ianflemin...bond20web.shtml

CBN beats the official news... again!

Thy only announced this because I emailed them asking about whether TMWTRT was the title and then they put up the article without so much as a credit. The same thing happened with NDOD last December. I emailed them asking why we had no news on it and the next day there was a full interview with Raymond Benson about it!

#67 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 10:54 PM

Thy only announced this because I emailed them asking about whether TMWTRT was the title and then they put up the article without so much as a credit. The same thing happened with NDOD last December. I emailed them asking why we had no news on it and the next day there was a full interview with Raymond Benson about it!

MKKBB staff, if you are reading (no doubt), this is very lame indeed.

You know my name, you know my number - come and get me if you want a proper job doing :)

#68 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 11:15 PM

scaramanga (04 Nov, 2001 10:43 p.m.):
Thy only announced this because I emailed them asking about whether TMWTRT was the title and then they put up the article without so much as a credit.

At least they reported it. The IFF is a good site, but lately they've a little slow. I'm sure things will pick up when Bond 20 kicks in. Did they answer your email, btw?

#69 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 11:17 PM

zencat (04 Nov, 2001 11:15 p.m.):

scaramanga (04 Nov, 2001 10:43 p.m.):
Thy only announced this because I emailed them asking about whether TMWTRT was the title and then they put up the article without so much as a credit.

At least they reported it. The IFF is a good site, but lately they've a little slow. I'm sure things will pick up when Bond 20 kicks in. Did they answer your email, btw?

No, they just sneakily put up an article. Did the same last year as well.

#70 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 11:27 PM

Weird. They should have at least emailed you back. Maybe their way of answering you was to post the article. I'm sure they must have received the Benson title info the same day we did and from the same source. I don't know why they didn't report it. Maybe you gave them a kick in the pants.

#71 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 11:27 PM

scaramanga (04 Nov, 2001 11:17 p.m.):
No, they just sneakily put up an article. Did the same last year as well.

Cheeky blighters. I guess you are going to "think twice (007") before you tip them off again?

Maybe MKKBB should have a "Donate News" button on their site :)

#72 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 11:35 PM

In the future, scaramanga, email me if you need some clarification, especially in regards to Benson. (I'm sure Daniel and Dave would extend the same invitation.)

I've passed news to MKKBB before and never revived a credit. I think it's their policy to not give credit (or name their source) -- unless maybe you ask for it.

#73 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 11:44 PM

Thanks Zencat, I'll bear that in mind.

#74 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 02:12 AM

Next year give 'em a made up title and confuse them. :)

No, seriously thats pretty slack, they could come over here and learn a thing or two, I've sent a few things to Blue Eyes before and have always been credited.

I'm suprised it took them so long anyway, we've been staved of real (you know what I mean) Bond news of any kind for what seems like ages until recently (the wheels are starting to turn :) ). I would have thought they'd pounce on news like this, full report and interview and so on.

#75 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 05:19 AM

zencat (04 Nov, 2001 11:35 p.m.):
In the future, scaramanga, email me if you need some clarification, especially in regards to Benson. (I'm sure Daniel and Dave would extend the same invitation.)

We definetley do. :) We like to be used as a source of information by the fans.

As for crediting for articles. We always give it unless specifically requested. I must admit there have been a few times when we've forgotten. But we have an estimated 600+ articles online and only about two are missing their proper credit.

And as James Page said, another first! :)

#76 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 11:08 AM

zencat (31 Oct, 2001 06:08 p.m.):
I don't think being "Flemingesque" should a requirement. The title should fit the book, that's all. I'm sure once the book is released RB will reveal the origins of the title and what other titles may have been considered...if any.

The revelation that Glidrose overruled Benson again serves to make me dislike the new title even more. I've heard a rumour that a future Austin Powers movie may be titled-
AUSTIN POWERS #?:
"THE MAN WITH THE RED TATTOO ON HIS BUTT".

That's a better title...yeah baby...yeah !.

#77 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 03:30 PM

zencat (31 Oct, 2001 06:08 p.m.):

sainttemplar (31 Oct, 2001 02:52 p.m.):
Mind you its a poor title anyway.There is nothing Flemingesque about it.I'd guess this is one of Glidrose's.

I don't think being "Flemingesque" should a requirement. The title should fit the book, that's all. I'm sure once the book is released RB will reveal the origins of the title and what other titles may have been considered...if any.

Fair point.Flemingesque is probably the wrong word.However a Bond title should be distinctive and memorable which most of the 80's and 90's ones weren't.TMWTRT is so bland they could call it the Man With Two Hands.

#78 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 07 November 2001 - 01:31 PM

sainttemplar (05 Nov, 2001 03:30 p.m.):
Fair point.Flemingesque is probably the wrong word.However a Bond title should be distinctive and memorable which most of the 80's and 90's ones weren't.TMWTRT is so bland they could call it the Man With Two  Hands.

Up till now I've been kind of happy with the Benson titles...but this new one makes me wonder whether I'm dreaming.

#79 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 06:09 PM

Raymond has revealed that the tattoo of the title "is a full body tattoo, yakuza-style."

Nice.

And re the title. "It's the marketing people at both the British and American publishers that have final say on these titles. All the titles are chosen by committee."

FYI: The above info came via the mighty mccartney007 as was published here without his permission. (Hope that was okay.)

#80 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 06:41 PM

I have to say when I first heard the title for the last book was "Never Dream of Dying" I actually cringed. After awhile, though, it started to grow on me and then after I read the book it all made sense and I loved it.

I don't think anyone is thrilled with "Tattoo's" title. I know Raymond isn't.