418 replies to this topic

#91 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:50 PM

What a relief! I'm pretty happy with the season two set, even if we were denied "BSHH". Nice picture and some great scores by Richard Shores and Harry Geller. It'll be interesting to compare the DVDs with the 45 minute butchering jobs I have on tape. Most of the eps on the set run about 51:03 give or take a few seconds and I am content that they aren

#92 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:35 AM

[quote name='Brian Flagg' post='759749' date='4 August 2007 - 22:50']What a relief! I'm pretty happy with the season two set, even if we were denied "BSHH". Nice picture and some great scores by Richard Shores and Harry Geller. It'll be interesting to compare the DVDs with the 45 minute butchering jobs I have on tape. Most of the eps on the set run about 51:03 give or take a few seconds and I am content that they aren

#93 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

If they're in the 50-51 minute range, they're almost certainly uncut. That was the standard running time in the 1960s-'70s for a one-hour television show (25 minutes for a half-hour show). Today, it's probably around 45 minutes for a first-run show. I think the Family Channel, in the late '90s, cut some Five-O episodes to around 41-42 minutes, abruptly fading out in the middle of scenes. When it showed "Strangers in Our Own Land," they cut out Milton Selzer out entirely, despite the fact he was billed as one of the major guest stars in the end titles.

Right. The 50 minute average is about right. I'm completely convinced that Five-O is uncut, other than the obvious absence of "BSHH." On the other hand, my DVDs of the Persuaders run about 52:00 apiece! Very generous!

Anyway, here's my top ten for Hawaii Five-O, season two, for what it's worth:
1) A Thousand Pardons--You're Dead!
2) Leopard On the Rock
3) Sweet Terror
4) Forty Feet High and It Kills
5) Which Way Did They Go?
6) A Bullet For McGarrett
7) The Joker's Wild, Man, Wild!
8) The Singapore File
9) The Devil and Mr. Frog
10) Just Lucky, I Guess

It's great to see these full and uncut, especially after having watched those butchered syndicated prints for so many years. Based on what you've mentioned about The family Channel, I'm GLAD I didn't watch the show during it's time there! 41 minutes??? Aaargh!

#94 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:21 PM

Season Three Due Out january 22, 2008!!!!

http://tvshowsondvd....O-Season-3/8179

http://tvshowsondvd....-3-Box-Art/8194

Edited by Brian Flagg, 04 October 2007 - 09:21 PM.

#95 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:23 AM

The third season is a contender for best season of the show (season 5 also is a contender). The third season had two Wo Fat stories and two, two-part stories. One multi-part show was a Wo Fat story ("FOB Honolulu"), the other was not ("The Grandstand Play"). Many of the season's episodes were written by Eric Bercovici and Jerry Ludwig.

#96 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:55 PM

Seasons three, four, and five are all uniformly excellent! Season three's "Ten Thousand Diamonds and a Heart" is a great heist episode with a catchy score by Don B. Ray.

Note to everyone: FIVE-O is not "just a cop show", folks! It's got so many espionage/international intrigue episodes and if you're a Bond fan, and I know you all are, you really need to give HAWAII FIVE-O a try!

#97 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:48 PM

Seasons three, four, and five are all uniformly excellent! Season three's "Ten Thousand Diamonds and a Heart" is a great heist episode with a catchy score by Don B. Ray.

Note to everyone: FIVE-O is not "just a cop show", folks! It's got so many espionage/international intrigue episodes and if you're a Bond fan, and I know you all are, you really need to give HAWAII FIVE-O a try!

Brian is absolutely correct. Here's the opening to "Nine Dragons," a two-hour episode that led off the ninth season:

Clips runs 2:35

#98 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:59 PM

"Nine Dragons" looks like a powerhouse episode! I can't recall any season nine episodes and only know "Nine Dragons" by reputation...I guess I'll have to wait the three years until that set comes out!

BTW, set three comes out ten years and one day after Jack Lord's death.

#99 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:44 AM

"Nine Dragons" is probably the most Bond-like episode of Five-O. In previous years, they had used Hawaii to stand-in for Singapore and other Asian countries at time. This time, they went to Hong Kong for extensive location shooting, with Air Siam apparenty paying much of the freight (in return for lots of plugs; everyone in the show flies on Air Siam).

It was the next-to-last Wo Fat story and quite a doozy. I once saw a copy of the original script. It was a charity auction and I got outbid. It was writeen as if it would be a two-part show. Instead, it was aired as a single, two-hour show.

No spoilers here. It does sport yet another outstanding Morton Stevens score and was also the final episode directed by Michael O'Herlihy and the next-to-last script by Jerome Coopersmith, who penned something like 32 episodes.

#100 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:56 AM

This YouTube video contains the episode preivews you'd see at the end of a show.

"Assault on the Palace" is a ninth-season episode (I believe it was the final one written by Jerome Coopersmith) while "Up the Rebels" was the premier episode of season 10.

#101 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

"Nine Dragons" is probably the most Bond-like episode of Five-O. In previous years, they had used Hawaii to stand-in for Singapore and other Asian countries at time. This time, they went to Hong Kong for extensive location shooting, with Air Siam apparenty paying much of the freight (in return for lots of plugs; everyone in the show flies on Air Siam).

Is it actual on location shooting, or merely second unit-type stuff? It'd be interesting to see McGarrett running through the streets of an actual foreign nation! As for Hawaii standing in for other countries, the worst use of the islands was in an episode of Magnum, P.I. when Hawaii doubled for Ireland!!!

#102 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

Is it actual on location shooting, or merely second unit-type stuff? It'd be interesting to see McGarrett running through the streets of an actual foreign nation! As for Hawaii standing in for other countries, the worst use of the islands was in an episode of Magnum, P.I. when Hawaii doubled for Ireland!!!

"Nine Dragons" was definitely filmed on location with the first unit. The way the episode is structured, we see McGarrett dive off that boat (from the end of the YouTube clip), he is picked up by a fishing boat that takes him ashore. He doesn't remember who he is, but there's a newspaper about the search for McGarrett. McGarrett and a woman from the boat are then chased through Hong Kong. Then starts a flashback sequence...

In the end titles, there's a credit that reads something like "a promotional consideration" or some such from Air Siam was provided. Wo Fat takes Air Siam from Hong Kong to Hawaii. McGarrett flies to Hong Kong on Air Siam. Danno and Chin fly to Hong Kong on Air Siam. McGarrett, Danno and Chin fly back to Hawaii on Air Siam. I presume that's the "prmotional consideration." (It's NOT as obtrusive as this may sound, just something you notice on subsequent viewings.)

One more note about "Nine Dragons." While Morton Stevens contributed many fine scores during the series, this was one of his best. Also, because it was shown as a two-hour episode, the end titles runs longer than usual (because of the extended cast listings). That means an longer-than-usual version of the end theme. So it's a musical treat all around.

#103 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:43 AM

Just finished watching "3 Dead Cows from Makapuu" and, towards the end of the 2nd part of the two part episode, this surfer is reading a Matt Helm novel. The cover was torn off but was recognizable from the back cover, which has a shot of Dean Martin in "The Silencers".

#104 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

Just finished watching "3 Dead Cows from Makapuu" and, towards the end of the 2nd part of the two part episode, this surfer is reading a Matt Helm novel. The cover was torn off but was recognizable from the back cover, which has a shot of Dean Martin in "The Silencers".

I need to check that episode out. I just watched the 1st season episode where McGarrett was battling a quack doctor and was checking through the death certificates at a county office and a blond lady wearing glasses practically through herself at him. I was surprised by the Bondian moment where right before he left, McGarrett laid a big kiss on her mouth without even knowing her name.

Is season 2 worth buying? I was thinking of putting it on my Christmas wish list.

#105 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

If you liked season 1, you'll like season 2.

#106 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:32 AM

Definitely. The quality of show, IMO, didn't substantially weaken until the 10th season. James MacArthur has said that Leonard Freeman was such a strong influence the show was able to get by on momentum for a few years after Freeman's death in early 1974.

#107 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:52 AM

Definitely. The quality of show, IMO, didn't substantially weaken until the 10th season. James MacArthur has said that Leonard Freeman was such a strong influence the show was able to get by on momentum for a few years after Freeman's death in early 1974.

Thanks, dudes. I watched the episode today where McGarrett had to solve the murder of an anti-war activist.

Here's the opening-

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

and the one for the pilot that was different-

Interesting on that second one, it didn't have as much of the quick cuts at the front.

#108 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:14 AM

Thanks, dudes. I watched the episode today where McGarrett had to solve the murder of an anti-war activist.

Here's the opening-

and the one for the pilot that was different-

Interesting on that second one, it didn't have as much of the quick cuts at the front.

That second version of the theme you linked to is my favorite, perhaps because it's 90 seconds long instead of a minute.

In the titles for the pilot, I like how the "Khiegh Dhiegh as Wo Fat" is superimposed over flames. Perhaps title designer Reza Badiyi wanted the visual to remind the viewer of hell and the devil.

#109 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:59 PM

Here's wishing a Happy 7-0 to James "Danno" MacArthur!

#110 BS 007

BS 007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:25 PM

The Persuaders, Hawa

#111 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:44 PM

Just got the 2nd season of Hawaii 5-0. I've watched the first two episodes with Harry Guardino and Loretta Swit concerning insurance fraud and bar girls posing as widows and one where a Japanese saboteur escaped from a mental hospital, kidnapped his daughter and thought it was December 1941. Looking forward to McGarrett's 2nd encounter with Wo Fat which is the 3rd episode.

Season 3 comes on DVD January 22, 2008-

http://www.amazon.co...n...7225&sr=8-3

#112 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:06 AM

Just got the 2nd season of Hawaii 5-0. I've watched the first two episodes with Harry Guardino and Loretta Swit concerning insurance fraud and bar girls posing as widows and one where a Japanese saboteur escaped from a mental hospital, kidnapped his daughter and thought it was December 1941. Looking forward to McGarrett's 2nd encounter with Wo Fat which is the 3rd episode.

...And season four is rumored for June, according to http://www.mjq.net/fiveo

#113 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

...And season four is rumored for June, according to http://www.mjq.net/fiveo

I may wait until I finish season 2 before I buy anymore. I like knowing that when I finish a season, the next one is either already available for purchase or not long from being released.

#114 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

Just to let you know: Seasons 3-5 are IMO the show's finest, so expect some international intrigue, or in other words: "Be here, Aloha!"

P.S. Season three's release was mentioned in this here thread way back in October! Get with it, Kamal Khan! :D

Kamal Khan: Love the avatar as I rec'd the Ultimate Flint Collection DVD for Christmas!

Edited by Brian Flagg, 03 January 2008 - 12:47 AM.

#115 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:00 AM

Season 2 has *two* Wo Fat appearances, but the second is just a cameo only (though any appearance is a treat, no matter how fleeting).

Season 3 has three full-fledged Wo Fat episodes (the season opener and a two-parter later in the season).

And season 4 has a memorable 2-part Wo Fat story.

#116 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:12 AM

Just to let you know: Seasons 3-5 are IMO the show's finest, so expect some international intrigue, or in other words: "Be here, Aloha!"

Looking foward to them. I have to admit, I think I prefer the earlier seasons to the later episodes I've catched on my local channel but that may be because I like watching them on DVD, clean and remastered replete with the wave shots for commercial breaks.

P.S. Season three's release was mentioned in this here thread way back in October! Get with it, Kamal Khan! :D

I know. I'm way behind. I never even watched an episode of Hawaii 5-0 until 2007, but better 39 years later than never :P

Kamal Khan: Love the avatar as I rec'd the Ultimate Flint Collection DVD for Christmas!

Flint was cool. Do you prefer Our Man Flint or In Like Flint? I'm the rare one who prefers ILF though I think OMF has a better finale.

Season 2 has *two* Wo Fat appearances, but the second is just a cameo only (though any appearance is a treat, no matter how fleeting).

Season 3 has three full-fledged Wo Fat episodes (the season opener and a two-parter later in the season).

And season 4 has a memorable 2-part Wo Fat story.

Looking forward to it. He made a menacing communist villain in the original Manchurian Candidate.

#117 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:23 AM

Just watched "40 Feet and It Kills!" with Wo Fat and Grandpa Walton. I think it was the best episode I've seen yet! I think Wo Fat is like a combination of Blofeld and Dr. No. My favorites from the first season were the ones with Ricardo Montalban and Sal Mineo and the one where McGarrett goes undercover as a prisoner. Great show. I'm now a 5-0 addict! Can we get some McGarrett avatars now?

#118 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

Just watched "40 Feet and It Kills!" with Wo Fat and Grandpa Walton. I think it was the best episode I've seen yet! I think Wo Fat is like a combination of Blofeld and Dr. No. My favorites from the first season were the ones with Ricardo Montalban and Sal Mineo and the one where McGarrett goes undercover as a prisoner. Great show. I'm now a 5-0 addict! Can we get some McGarrett avatars now?

We should...and since Jack Lord was the original Felix Leiter, it'd be quite appropriate for a second reason.

I always thought Wo Fat was a world class villain. Kheigh Dheigh (who wasn't Chinese at all) was also in the original version of The Manchurian Candidate and plays that character in a very similar manner -- absolutely ruthless but displaying the occasional bit of cynical humor.

#119 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

BTW, S3 of Mission: Impossible has Khigh Diegh as a Red Chinese Communist general bidding on some plutonium with Philip Ahn as his advisor. I can easily imagine him as Wo Fat doing the same with Mcgarrett trying to stop him.

"Whatta burn!"

~Steve McGarrett undercover in the S1 H50 episode "The Ways of Love."

#120 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

Looking foward to them. I have to admit, I think I prefer the earlier seasons to the later episodes I've catched on my local channel but that may be because I like watching them on DVD, clean and remastered replete with the wave shots for commercial breaks.

I know. I'm way behind. I never even watched an episode of Hawaii 5-0 until 2007, but better 39 years later than never :P

Flint was cool. Do you prefer Our Man Flint or In Like Flint? I'm the rare one who prefers ILF though I think OMF has a better finale.

I love both films, but I'll give the edge to Our Man Flint, if only for the interplay between Flint and Cramden and that great action music that accompanies Flint as he springs into action while on Galaxy Island (climbing the ladder).

As for Five-O, I'd like to start compiling a season-by-season list of "international intrigue" episodes that showcase the Bondian aspects of hawaii Five-O. As I've mentioned before, it is definitely *NOT* a mere "cops and robbers" show!