2) A Thousand Pardons--You're Dead!
3) Ten Thousand Diamonds and a Heart
4) No Bodies, No Cans, No People
5) The Jinn who Clears the Way
6) Death with Father
7) The Computer Killer
8) Murder--Eyes Only
-----------

"A Thousand Pardons" is my favorite episode of the entire series, but "No Bodies, No Cans..." and "Death with Father" are right behind it.

#363 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:37 AM

The Hawaii Five-O Home Page has revealed that the S9 packaging will be like those of CBS/Paramount's DVD releases of MANNIX. I believe this is called the "Barclay" case, which is like a flipper page style of holding the discs. The case is the width of the keepcase DVD package. It makes for a noticeable change in packaging.

#364 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:25 AM

The Hawaii Five-O Home Page has revealed that the S9 packaging will be like those of CBS/Paramount's DVD releases of MANNIX. I believe this is called the "Barclay" case, which is like a flipper page style of holding the discs. The case is the width of the keepcase DVD package. It makes for a noticeable change in packaging.

The 1969 soundtrack album is also being re-released, both on iTunes and (date uncertain) as a Film Score Monthly CD.

#365 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

The 1969 soundtrack album is also being re-released, both on iTunes and (date uncertain) as a Film Score Monthly CD.

I've had that for years, and while it's a faitful recreation of the season one sound, I'd really like FSM to give Five-O the UNCLE treatment by releasing two-CD sets of the original recordings--if they can be found.

#366 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

I've had that for years, and while it's a faitful recreation of the season one sound, I'd really like FSM to give Five-O the UNCLE treatment by releasing two-CD sets of the original recordings--if they can be found.

I think it's more than recreating season 1 sound, I'm pretty sure it's an actual soundtrack, with most of it coming from the pilot, including: main titles, quiet piece immediately after the titles when we see McGarrett going to the office for the first time, the chase music (McG tailed by the CIA agent) and the end titles. Two tracks are "hippie music" (for episodes involving drugs), which seems like a bit much. One of the tracks includes music you'd hear in bars or when someone had their radio on while at the beach.

But yes, I'd love a full FSM treatment. "Mr. Mike," proprieator of probably the leading Hawaii Five-O fan sites, has indicated that CBS has the recordings.

#367 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:02 PM

I think it's more than recreating season 1 sound, I'm pretty sure it's an actual soundtrack, with most of it coming from the pilot, including: main titles, quiet piece immediately after the titles when we see McGarrett going to the office for the first time, the chase music (McG tailed by the CIA agent) and the end titles. Two tracks are "hippie music" (for episodes involving drugs), which seems like a bit much. One of the tracks includes music you'd hear in bars or when someone had their radio on while at the beach.

But yes, I'd love a full FSM treatment. "Mr. Mike," proprieator of probably the leading Hawaii Five-O fan sites, has indicated that CBS has the recordings.

That's what I meant, though the LP consists of re-recorded cues that did in fact appear in season one. There's one for sure that doesn't but it still fits that style. The hippie cues you refer to are indeed heard in "Up Tight", one of my favorite first season episodes.

#368 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:52 PM

I wonder how SPIKE TV's ratings were during their Hawaii Five-O marathon? Whatever the case, they sure slashed several scenes from the episodes they aired.

#369 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

There's a group shot of the new Five-O team and they look more like The Mod Squad than a state police force.

I will say that Scott Caan's Danno has promise. I don't know if he's got his old man's acting chops, but he has his old man's mug; he's a spitting image of his dad. Scott also looks bad-a** enough to dish out some hurt and would be good to have on your side in a brawl.

Is Scott Caan a good actor? I've never seen anything with him in it.

I reserved my judgment for a few episodes but I have to say I really enjoy this show. Of course any show that puts Grace Park in a bikini is up there on my list. Scott Caan's Danno is real treat and his mannerism and voice really mimic his Dad's to the point where I could imagine a young James Caan playing Danny Williams. O'Loughlin's a fine 21st century McGarrett though edges towards the Dirty Harry end of law enforcement. The banter between him and Caan is great. I agree with someone else saying that Daniel Dae Kim could have been the lead. I mean plenty of Asian-American have totally Anglo names. I knew a Chinese girl named Robin Schwartz so Kim could play McGarrett,
My only disappointment ? Where the hell is Wo Fat?! I was hoping the guy behind Steve's father's murder would turn out to be him. I mean c'mon, Wo Fat was McGarrett's Moriarty or Blofeld since he was a Red Chinese agent. I'm hoping to at least see a glimpse of him before the season one cliffhanger.

Edited by Von Hammerstein, 16 October 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#370 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:05 AM

Hawaii Five-O's tenth season DVD is due December 14, 2010. Hard to believe we're getting close to the end.
---------------------------

Now, the new series:

I'm pleased at how my Scott Caan comments have proven to be true. He's the best thing about the new show.

I've watched every episode so far and I cannot and have not compared it to the original show; it's just totally different. I enjoy the new program for what it is--a cop/adventure filmed on Hawaii. It stands on its own merits but it doesn't have a Five-O "feel" to it. My criticisms are largely with the bombastic music score and distracting color filters; Hawaii's already beautiful, it doesn't need digital enhancement!

This new show succeeds more when it's *not* trying to be Hawaii Five-O. I hope it finds its identity apart from its namesake.

As for the new incarnations of McG and Danno, these guys have spoken to each other more in one car ride scene than the original McGarrett and Danno said to one another in eleven seasons--on screen or off! The new guys are veritable "Chatty Cathys"!

#371 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

My only disappointment ? Where the hell is Wo Fat?! I was hoping the guy behind Steve's father's murder would turn out to be him. I mean c'mon, Wo Fat was McGarrett's Moriarty or Blofeld since he was a Red Chinese agent. I'm hoping to at least see a glimpse of him before the season one cliffhanger.

The TV Guide fall preview article had the production staff hinting we may get Wo Fat 2.0 later in the season. The guy who killed McG 2.0's father clearly is coming back (they still haven't found the body, of course) and it'd be a natural for Wo Fat to surface when the killer resurfaces.

I did find it interesting they re-recorded the Five-O theme after the pilot was filmed to make it give it more of a full orchestra sound. CBS uploaded a video on YouTube showing the recording session (which occurred in June, after the pilot was filmed in March).

#372 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

The season 10 set of the original Five-O also has more general interest for Bond fans. Maud Adams and Luciana Paluzzi each guest star in an episode. Adams is a villain while Paluzzi is an Italian journalist. It also has the last performance of Stephen Boyd and has the death of Chin Ho in the season's final episode.

Edited by Napoleon Solo, 18 October 2010 - 03:55 PM.

#373 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Hey Bill, how 'bout a spoiler shield for that last bit of your post? ;)

Tenth season box art:

Posted Image

#374 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:21 AM

Hey Bill, how 'bout a spoiler shield for that last bit of your post? ;)

Tenth season box art:

Posted Image

I forgot to also mention that Rosebud is the sled. :-)

The TV Shows on DVD site commented how it appears somebody did some Photoshop work on the Jack Lord picture to make him look younger.

Edited by Napoleon Solo, 22 October 2010 - 02:23 AM.

#375 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

I forgot to also mention that Rosebud is the sled. :-)

Just make sure not to mention that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father, the planet of the apes is really Earth, or that Quentin Tarantino is a hack. ;)

BTW, I finally picked up a copy of Karen Rhodes' Booking Hawaii Five-O book. It recieved some harsh criticism from Amazon.com reviewer folk, but I'm pleased with it, as it makes some good points, provides background info, and definitely makes for some convenient reading. It's certainly better than trying to hold up my "McGarrett Blue" binder with Mike Quigley's episode reviews and your own Blood Feud article.

Finally broke down and ordered the ninth season. I waited two and a half months for the price to go down but it never did! Also have season ten pre-ordered.

#376 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

BTW, I finally picked up a copy of Karen Rhodes' Booking Hawaii Five-O book. It recieved some harsh criticism from Amazon.com reviewer folk, but I'm pleased with it, as it makes some good points, provides background info, and definitely makes for some convenient reading. It's certainly better than trying to hold up my "McGarrett Blue" binder with Mike Quigley's episode reviews and your own Blood Feud article.

Finally broke down and ordered the ninth season. I waited two and a half months for the price to go down but it never did! Also have season ten pre-ordered.

I've been watching season 9, but haven't finished. In some ways, the season made such a big impact with Nine Dragons, many of the rest of the episodes almost seem anti-climatic. Some interesting shows that year, though. Sutton Roley directed three and he uses his trademark unusual camera angles. In "Double Exposure," there are some scenes that utilize Bourne "shaky cam" shots (and obviously this is 15-20 years before Bourne) effectively without overusing the technique. Roley also directs the epside with Barnard Hughes where we hear a rare reference to the governor's actual name AND appears in the show as a judge. And we have Jack Lord back as a director with the Rich Little episode.

#377 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

In some ways, the season made such a big impact with Nine Dragons, many of the rest of the episodes almost seem anti-climatic. Some interesting shows that year, though. Sutton Roley directed three and he uses his trademark unusual camera angles. In "Double Exposure," there are some scenes that utilize Bourne "shaky cam" shots (and obviously this is 15-20 years before Bourne) effectively without overusing the technique.

If "Nine Dragons" is as good as everyone claims it is, then perhaps I'll save that one for last. As for Five-O and shaky cam, try twenty-five years before Bourne!

Sutton Roley is one of the great TV directors. His work on Mission: Impossible and Mannix caught my attention. Michael O'Herlihy is my favorite Five-O director, though.

#378 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:47 AM

If "Nine Dragons" is as good as everyone claims it is, then perhaps I'll save that one for last. As for Five-O and shaky cam, try twenty-five years before Bourne!

Sutton Roley is one of the great TV directors. His work on Mission: Impossible and Mannix caught my attention. Michael O'Herlihy is my favorite Five-O director, though.

Nine Dragons is O'Herlihy's finale and the next-to-last script from Jerome Coopersmith, one of the better writers (Assault on the Palace, the second show of the season is Coopersmith's final Five-O story).

If Five-O ever gets the Film Score Monthly treatment, that is a release of episode soundtracks beyond the re-issue of the Capitol Records album, Nine Dragons would be a great place to start. It's one of Morton Stevens's best scores of the series. One slight warning: there's a product placement deal in Nine Dragons that must have been used to help finance the location shooting in Hong Kong. I'll say no more. To me it seemed obvious (and it's confirmed in the end titles) but that may have come from repeated viewings.

#379 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

Has anyone seen the Season One episode with Bond alumni Yaphett Kotto? It's pretty powerful. I believe that the name of the episode is called "King of the Hill". Another excellent episode featured Danny taking control of Five-O, while Steve was in the hospital after being shot. That one is called "Yesterday Died and Tomorrow Won't Be Born".

#380 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

Has anyone seen the Season One episode with Bond alumni Yaphett Kotto? It's pretty powerful. I believe that the name of the episode is called "King of the Hill". Another excellent episode featured Danny taking control of Five-O, while Steve was in the hospital after being shot. That one is called "Yesterday Died and Tomorrow Won't Be Born".

I remember both of those episodes well. Kotto's use of the word "N****r" must've been controversial back in '68. Danno uses it in season 11 when he's undercover as a neo-Nazi. I have to wonder if Danno's use of the word will be cut for DVD.

I haven't watched seasons 1-3 in quite awhile because I've seen them dozens of times. Seasons 6-10 are largely unknown to me, so those are more of a new discovery for me. After all the DVDs have been released, I'll probably go back and rewatch those early ones.

I recently got season 12 from tape dubs and it really isn't as bad as it's often made out to be. I think season 11 is pretty weak, if not worse, than the often-maligned season 12.

But it's all Hawaii Five-O, and I like it all!

#381 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

I remember both of those episodes well. Kotto's use of the word "N****r" must've been controversial back in '68. Danno uses it in season 11 when he's undercover as a neo-Nazi. I have to wonder if Danno's use of the word will be cut for DVD.

I haven't watched seasons 1-3 in quite awhile because I've seen them dozens of times. Seasons 6-10 are largely unknown to me, so those are more of a new discovery for me. After all the DVDs have been released, I'll probably go back and rewatch those early ones.

I recently got season 12 from tape dubs and it really isn't as bad as it's often made out to be. I think season 11 is pretty weak, if not worse, than the often-maligned season 12.

But it's all Hawaii Five-O, and I like it all!

Season 11 probably gets a bit of a pass because Danno is still there, where he's gone in season 12.

Still a few notes:

1) No Morton Stevens scores in season 11, the only one he didn't contribute at least one episode score.

2) Season 12 does have one of the most blatant McGarrett lecutes. In the late 1980s, an independent station in Indianapolis got a Five-O syndication package of mostly season 10-12 episodes. The station ran on a very cheap budget. Still, it produced one promo that began, "Another lecture from Steve McGaarrett," followed by the ENTIRE lecture

3) Season 12 finally has a Five-O woman investigator, played by Sharon Farrell, who had been a guest star in several episodes.

4) Stevens, after being away in season 11, returned in season 12.

5) Season 11 includes George Lazenby as a guest star. Two Bond women -- Maud Adams and Luciana Paluzzi -- are in the upcoming season 10 set.

#382 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

Season 11 probably gets a bit of a pass because Danno is still there, where he's gone in season 12.

2) Season 12 does have one of the most blatant McGarrett lecutes. In the late 1980s, an independent station in Indianapolis got a Five-O syndication package of mostly season 10-12 episodes. The station ran on a very cheap budget. Still, it produced one promo that began, "Another lecture from Steve McGaarrett," followed by the ENTIRE lecture

3) Season 12 finally has a Five-O woman investigator, played by Sharon Farrell, who had been a guest star in several episodes.

James MacArthur looks and acts like a zombie in the season 11 ep I watched the other day, "Skyline Killer"; even when he was there, he was "gone."

Sharon Farrell is in and out of season 12. She appears in maybe ten episodes and is not in the opening credits all the time.

I LOVE those McGarrett lectures! However, they all pale in comparison to his reciting of a poem about gold in the episode "A Bird in Hand." It goes on for an uncomfortable length of time, and co-star William Smith and guest star Lara Parker wear expressions that look like the old lady who's enduring one of Robert Hays' Ted Striker stories in Airplane!

#383 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

James MacArthur looks and acts like a zombie in the season 11 ep I watched the other day, "Skyline Killer"; even when he was there, he was "gone."

Sharon Farrell is in and out of season 12. She appears in maybe ten episodes and is not in the opening credits all the time.

I LOVE those McGarrett lectures! However, they all pale in comparison to his reciting of a poem about gold in the episode "A Bird in Hand." It goes on for an uncomfortable length of time, and co-star William Smith and guest star Lara Parker wear expressions that look like the old lady who's enduring one of Robert Hays' Ted Striker stories in Airplane!

Skyline Killer, if it's the episode I think it is, is the highlight (such as it is) of the Beau Van Den Ecker-directed episodes of seasons 11 and 12. That's not a high bar, based on the episode reviews on Mr. Mike's Five-O page.

I think over time MacArthur was just given less and less to do as JL took over control of the show. Season 9's Double Exposure may be one of the last episodes where Jimmy Mac gets more screen time than the Big Kahuna. At the 1996 Five-O convention in LA, he was very discreet about what he said. Zulu or somebody like that might give you some behind-the-scenes anecdote about conflict, but MacArthur stayed quiet. That's not a criticism (of either MacArthur or Zulu) but that was my impression. MacArthur made jokes about his multiple marriages, but very careful of what he said of the show's production.

#384 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

I couldn't wait to see Nine Dragons, so I watched that one first!

Great stuff. Typically creative directing by Michael O'Herlihy, a fantastic score by Morton Stevens, good use of location shooting in Hong Kong, and of course Khigh Dhiegh as Wo Fat. The entire proceedings felt more like a movie than a TV show. Some amusing '70s fashions made their presence known like bell bottoms, halter tops, and platform shoes as well as McGarrett's peach-colored suit. Not much of the Five-O supporting team or the governor in this one. It was pretty much McGarrett vs. Wo Fat. I loved the scene filmed on the cliff side overlooking the coast. The overcast weather added to the drama.

#385 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

James MacArthur has died at age 72. He always came off as such a nice, unassuming guy. I wrote him an email a couple years back and it was nice of him to take the time and respond.

Man, I'm really depressed about this. :(

R.I.P.

Actor James MacArthur from `Hawaii Five-0' dies
(AP) LOS ANGELES - Stage and screen actor James MacArthur, who played "Danno" in the original version of television's "Hawaii Five-0," died Thursday at age 72.

MacArthur's agent, Richard Lewis, said the actor died in Florida of "natural causes," but no direct cause was specified.

In a career that spanned more than four decades, MacArthur was most recognized for his role as Detective Danny "Danno" Williams on "Hawaii Five-0," which aired from 1968 to 1980. Episodes often ended with detective Steve McGarret, the lead character, uttering what became a pop culture catch phrase: "Book 'em, Danno."

Jack Lord, who starred as McGarret, died in 1998.

MacArthur quit the role of McGarret's sidekick a year before the program's final season.

"Quite frankly, I grew bored," he explained on his website. "The stories became more bland and predictable and presented less and less challenge to me as an actor."

"Hawaii Five-O," one of the longest running crime shows in TV history with 278 episodes, was shot on location in the Hawaiian islands. It was the first Hawaii-based national TV series.

The drama has been remade by CBS with a new cast this season.

MacArthur, born Dec. 8, 1937, seemed destined to become an actor. He was the adopted son of playwright Charles MacArthur and Helen Hayes, an award-winning actress often referred to as "First Lady of the American Theatre." Silent film star Lillian Gish was his godmother.

"They did teach me a lot about the theatre just through my life with them," he said of his parents in a 1957 interview in Teen Life magazine. "They never pushed me in any direction. Any major decision has always been my own to make."

James MacArthur made his stage debut at age 8 in a summer stock production of "The Corn is Green."

His breakout role was in the 1957 "Climax!" television series production of "The Young Stranger," in which he starred as the 17-year-old son of a movie executive who has a run-in with the law.

He entered Harvard that same year, but dropped out in his sophomore year to pursue an acting career.

As a young actor, MacArthur appeared in the Walt Disney movies "Kidnapped," "Third Man on the Mountain," "Swiss Family Robinson" and "The Light in the Forest."

He also had roles in "The Interns, "Spencer's Mountain," "Battle of the Bulge" and "Hang 'Em High," as well as many guest roles on TV series such as "Gunsmoke."

He performed in many stage plays, including the lead role of Hildy Johnson in a 1981 production of "The Front Page," which was co-written by his father in the late 1920s, at the Stanford Community Theatre in Palo Alto, Calif.

His live acting career won him the 1961 Theatre World Award for best new actor for his performance in "Invitation to a March."

MacArthur said that one of his favorite "Hawaii Five-O" episodes was a 1975 segment called "Retire in Sunny Hawaii Forever" because it marked one of the rare times that he worked on screen with his mother. Hayes played Danno's Aunt Clara, who visits Hawaii and helps the detectives solve a murder.

Asked by the Hawaii Star Bulletin newspaper in 2003 about his fondest memories about working on "Hawaii Five-O," MacArthur replied: "Living in Hawaii."

http://movies.yahoo....i-five0-dies-ap

#386 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:42 PM

From the James MacArthur website, some of his favorite Hawaii Five-O episodes:

"I think [season two's] Three Dead Cows at Makapuu was one of the best shows we ever did. It was a tight story, full of intrigue, human drama, and a gripping race against time. The 'villain' of the piece wasn't really a bad guy, but simply a man who had gotten caught up in events beyond his control. Not only that, but it was one of several opportunities I had to work with Ed Flanders, a talented actor whose skills I admire very much and who became a good friend.

I also enjoyed [season five's] Pig in a Blanket because it provided a lot of insight into the character of Dan Williams and gave me a chance to stretch as an actor.

Other favorites were [season three's]Over Fifty? Steal and [season four's]Odd Man In because I got to work with Hume Cronyn, who is an extraordinary actor and a fine gentleman.

Of course, [season eight's]Retire in Sunny Hawaii Forever is high on my list because it was one of the rare times I got to work with my mother. We had quite a lot of excellent opportunities to work with exceptional writers, actors, and directors throughout the run of Five-O; if I listed every one of them here, I'd never finish!"

#387 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:52 AM

EDIT: I'm sorry, I had links to a couple of links to photos on James MacArthur's Web page from March but I thought better of it (post as originally written just had the links with no comments).

#388 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

Here's my top 10 episodes for the ninth season. These lists always change, but after viewing all of these for the first time, this is how the ten rank:

10) To Kill a Mind- I love the Grant Ormsby shows. Pat Hingle was Nick Nolte before Nick Nolte!

9) The Bells Toll at Noon- Rich Little is surprisngly good in this tale of twisted vengeance.

8) Oldest Profession Latest Price- Ned Beatty as a sweaty "enforcer" who's killing off hookers who refuse to pay the local syndicate boss.

7) Man in a Steel Frame- Schmaltzy flashbacks and the fact that every Five-O girlfriend must die doesn't prevent me from ranking this in the top ten.

6) The Last of the Great Paperhangers- Kevin McCarthy is charming as a forger. Five-O often used "elderly" villains through the years.

5) Double Exposure- I love Meg Foster and the super-creepy, over-the-top crooks are wonderfully bizarre. Danno plays up his studliness.

4) Nine Dragons- Michael O'Herlihy is Five-O's best director and this is another fine and memorable effort. Wo Fat reconsitioning McGarrett is classic.

3) Elegy in a Rain Forest- McGarrett dresses "cool" again, with plantation hat and safari jacket when chasing an escaped rapist/murderer who's captured attorney general John Manicote's daughter.

2) Blood Money is Hard to Wash- Comical and engrossing at the same time. Dane Clark was always so good, despite the bad rugs he wore.

1) Target...A Cop- Don Stroud's finest moment. He always came off as Brandoesque. Here, he's excellent as a crippled ex-con who's listening in on police radio to snipe off cops who answer emergency calls. McGarrett and Danno don police uniforms to smoke Stroud out in the finale.

Another strong season with only two duds, "A Capitol Crime" and the primary stinker, "To Die in Paradise"

#389 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:13 AM

Here's my top 10 episodes for the ninth season. These lists always change, but after viewing all of these for the first time, this is how the ten rank:

10) To Kill a Mind- I love the Grant Ormsby shows. Pat Hingle was Nick Nolte before Nick Nolte!

9) The Bells Toll at Noon- Rich Little is surprisngly good in this tale of twisted vengeance.

8) Oldest Profession Latest Price- Ned Beatty as a sweaty "enforcer" who's killing off hookers who refuse to pay the local syndicate boss.

7) Man in a Steel Frame- Schmaltzy flashbacks and the fact that every Five-O girlfriend must die doesn't prevent me from ranking this in the top ten.

6) The Last of the Great Paperhangers- Kevin McCarthy is charming as a forger. Five-O often used "elderly" villains through the years.

5) Double Exposure- I love Meg Foster and the super-creepy, over-the-top crooks are wonderfully bizarre. Danno plays up his studliness.

4) Nine Dragons- Michael O'Herlihy is Five-O's best director and this is another fine and memorable effort. Wo Fat reconsitioning McGarrett is classic.

3) Elegy in a Rain Forest- McGarrett dresses "cool" again, with plantation hat and safari jacket when chasing an escaped rapist/murderer who's captured attorney general John Manicote's daughter.

2) Blood Money is Hard to Wash- Comical and engrossing at the same time. Dane Clark was always so good, despite the bad rugs he wore.

1) Target...A Cop- Don Stroud's finest moment. He always came off as Brandoesque. Here, he's excellent as a crippled ex-con who's listening in on police radio to snipe off cops who answer emergency calls. McGarrett and Danno don police uniforms to smoke Stroud out in the finale.

Another strong season with only two duds, "A Capitol Crime" and the primary stinker, "To Die in Paradise"

Double Exposure has a basic plot, but it gets dressed up quite nicely. Thayer David often played weird, physical types and did so again. Actual good use of "shaky cam" in the opening when the hood gets double crossed and killed.

Also, I'm wondering if there was a conscious decision to make Manicote the attorney general or if the Five-O production staff lost track. The character was originally district attorney, which made sense because the DA's office would work closely with Five-O in prosecuting the people Five-O arrests. In Steel Frame, Manicote seems to act like a DA, but I'll have to go back and rewatch. But his daughter definitely says Attorney General in Elegy.

Something similar happened with Jonathan Kaye. In the beginning, he was clearly an intellegience type ("office is in the Pentagon"). Yet in later epiosodes, we were told he was in the State Department. (Promtoion? Lateral move? Or did the production staff forget what job Kaye was supposed to have?)

#390 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

Double Exposure has a basic plot, but it gets dressed up quite nicely. Thayer David often played weird, physical types and did so again. Actual good use of "shaky cam" in the opening when the hood gets double crossed and killed.

Also, I'm wondering if there was a conscious decision to make Manicote the attorney general or if the Five-O production staff lost track. The character was originally district attorney, which made sense because the DA's office would work closely with Five-O in prosecuting the people Five-O arrests. In Steel Frame, Manicote seems to act like a DA, but I'll have to go back and rewatch. But his daughter definitely says Attorney General in Elegy.

Something similar happened with Jonathan Kaye. In the beginning, he was clearly an intellegience type ("office is in the Pentagon"). Yet in later epiosodes, we were told he was in the State Department. (Promtoion? Lateral move? Or did the production staff forget what job Kaye was supposed to have?)

That's why I like Double Exposure: it's comical in its eccentricities! Seth Sakai eating his fruit cup like an angry child and wearing that one huge hoop ear ring, Thayer David eating baby food; it's insane!

The one thing that no one ever mentioned before the DVDs arrived was the fact that Five-O temporarily moved their headquarters to the Territorial Building! It's since been noted on Mike Quigley's site but for years before that--nothing!

As for Manicote, I like to think the guy got promoted--right out of the series! He, Che, and Doc Bergman rarely appear in S9; same goes for the Governor. At least the Governor remained in the series, though I don't have him in any of the few S11 eps I have recorded.