http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#332 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

I really like the new credits! I like the new theme arrangement (was it Giacchino?), which almost sounds like it's got a bit of Mission: Impossible mixed in there. I LOVE that they actually do pay homage to the original, and I think they do a good job making the right modern equivilents of the old shots when it could have turned out very cheesy. (I just wish that the first two cast members were different. Oh well.) Also, in one of the comments on the Hollywood Reporter's post about this, someone says that they'll be swapping out the character shots in the montage each week to reflect scenes from that night's show, ala Mission: Impossible. I love the retro-ness of the concept... and all this M:I talk is really, REALLY making me crave a new TV version of THAT! Seriously, that's a show that's really ripe for a TV remake now. It would fit right in with all the things it's inspired, like Leverage and Burn Notice. And it's much easier to update than Hawaii 5-O, because instead of having to recast iconic characters, you just need to assemble a new team. There's plenty of precedent for team changes--even in the leader. I think that the brand would be SO MUCH better served by a new TV series true to the original concept than by Tom Cruise star-vehicles mostly M:I in name (and music) only.

#333 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

There's a group shot of the new Five-O team and they look more like The Mod Squad than a state police force.

I will say that Scott Caan's Danno has promise. I don't know if he's got his old man's acting chops, but he has his old man's mug; he's a spitting image of his dad. Scott also looks bad-a** enough to dish out some hurt and would be good to have on your side in a brawl.

Is Scott Caan a good actor? I've never seen anything with him in it.

#334 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

I would have placed Daniel Dae Kim in the lead, instead of Alex O'Loughlin. There is no need for the lead to be named McGarrett in this new series.

#335 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

I was really looking forward to a good modern take on the Hawaii 50 theme (one of the best TV themes of all time). Unfortunately this version is not quite what I was looking forward to.

#336 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

I was really looking forward to a good modern take on the Hawaii 50 theme (one of the best TV themes of all time). Unfortunately this version is not quite what I was looking forward to.

It's amazing that there's even a theme song at all, what with the need to maintain the 7 minutes of show/5 minutes of commercial ratio!

#337 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:01 AM

It's amazing that there's even a theme song at all, what with the need to maintain the 7 minutes of show/5 minutes of commercial ratio!

That's only a slight exaggeration. When Five-O debuted, an hour of prime time consisted of 50-51 minutes of show (including titles) per hour. Now, it's 43 minutes.

#338 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

That's only a slight exaggeration. When Five-O debuted, an hour of prime time consisted of 50-51 minutes of show (including titles) per hour. Now, it's 43 minutes.

In the case of the JESSE STONE TV movie I watched May 9, they played the first 20 minutes uninterrupted and then limped the remaining hour and forty minutes using the 7/5 ratio! BBC America does that with its airing of Doctor Who, sans the 20 uninterrupted minutes.

It's easy to see why people record everything, unless there are many out there who enjoy commercials, like when they get excited about the ad onslaught in things like the Super Bowl.

Anyway, as for the new theme, the look of the credits reminds me of every other CBS show.

P.S. CSI Miami ain't filmed here.

#339 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

Finished the first disc of Five-O's eighth season and so far it's a considerable improvement over the previous year, though I've even warmed to that one, as well.

Murder--Eyes Only: The two-hour season-opener has Wo Fat but not enough of him. Still, it's an excellent episode that's a well-written and well-directed spy thriller with McGarrett doing USN reserve duty to solve a murder in Naval Intelligence. I wonder if Thomas Magnum served under McGarrett...wasn't TM in that department?

Terminate with Extreme Prejudice: Another international intrigue with McGarrett and company dealing with wiley fox Harry Wells (Dan O'Herilhy) who brings an MI-6 caper to the islands. Another excellent story with clever direction from Dan O'Herlihy's brother Michael, who's directed many an episode of Five-O.

#340 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:42 PM

Finished the first disc of Five-O's eighth season and so far it's a considerable improvement over the previous year, though I've even warmed to that one, as well.

Murder--Eyes Only: The two-hour season-opener has Wo Fat but not enough of him. Still, it's an excellent episode that's a well-written and well-directed spy thriller with McGarrett doing USN reserve duty to solve a murder in Naval Intelligence. I wonder if Thomas Magnum served under McGarrett...wasn't TM in that department?

I just got the set yesterday. As I remember it, Wo Fat seems kind of grafted onto the plot. He's mostly seen playing chess on a boat. Apparently Orville H. Hampton (who had written a lot of episodes of Perry Mason) submitted a script, then Jerome Coopersmith (one of the main Five-O writers during seasons 4-8) got brought in to expand it and add Wo Fat.

#341 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:08 PM

I just got the set yesterday. As I remember it, Wo Fat seems kind of grafted onto the plot. He's mostly seen playing chess on a boat. Apparently Orville H. Hampton (who had written a lot of episodes of Perry Mason) submitted a script, then Jerome Coopersmith (one of the main Five-O writers during seasons 4-8) got brought in to expand it and add Wo Fat.

Wo Fat's being behind the plot was enough for me as the story was so well executed.

On a non-spy episode note, the Susan Dey episode--Target? The Lady was a fine reminder of how gorgeous she was then. Dey gives an excellent performance in what could've been a one-note role. A young Marc Singer acquitted himself quite well, too.

So far, the best line of the season must belong to Andrew Prine-as-hitman Wally Hatch in 'Target? The Lady": When Prine and his hitman sidekick, "Kimo", are at the airport and checking in with their grubby-looking lookout man, Hatch says dryly: "Kimo, why don't you go and get your friend shampooed and pressed." LOL!

Something that's noticeable is the use of easy listening source music, which makes for some fun '70s nostalgia. Reminds me of when Muzak was played in elevators and shops when I was a kid.

#342 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:24 AM

I just finished disc 1. Near the start of act II of "Termination With Extreme Prejudice," Lord Danby pulls up at the Wo Fat Chop Suey restaurant, which was the inspiration for naming Wo Fat.

#343 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:37 AM

Trivia note concerning season 8.

During the first seven seasons, the last credit in the end titles read, "A Leonard Freeman Production In Association With The CBS Television Network."

The first five episodes of season 8 have this at the end: "A CBS Television Network Production Filmed Entirely On Location in Hawaii."

Staring with the Vashon sequel episode on disk 2 of Season 8, they tack this on following that credit: "Developed by Leonard Freeman Productions."

My guess is there was some kind of legal dispute between Leonard Freeman's estate and CBS and this was a compromise. The "Developed by Leonard Freeman Productions" credit would run through the end of the series.

Edited by Napoleon Solo, 10 June 2010 - 12:38 AM.

#344 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:08 AM

Honor is an Unmarked Grave- Easily in my top ten for the eighth season. Eileen Heckart was positively perfect as the monied Mrs. Henderson. Before this role, I'd often see her as a more "earthy" dame. I recognized her but couldn't place the name until about fifteen minutes into the episode; her wig probably threw me. Anyway, Heckart was great in this. The story reminded me of S4's "Highest Castle, Deepest Grave" with Stevens' Herrmannesque score and the missing body storyline.

#345 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

I'm five discs in and so far most every episode has been above-average. However, two episodes stand out as the clunkers of the season: Deadly Persuasion and especially Anatomy of a Bribe. The latter wastes Allan "Dr. Sidney Freedman" Arbus and his lunatic ranting at the end seems tacked on and underdeveloped. The episode takes some time getting started and doesn't even come off as a Five-O episode for several minutes.

Meanwhile...

Turkey Shoot at Makapuu-

Easily the episode with the most "1970s-ness"! In this one we get:

Hang gliders
custom vans
eight-track tapes
funk music
bright orange headphones
a Paul Williams lookalike
a "Honey Blonde" in the form of Lee Purcell

The warmed-over late '60s era of the early '70s is finally gone. The '70s really didn't start until 1975, or rather the 1960s didn't end until 1975...

#346 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:14 AM

A couple of observations/questions about disk 2:

Death's Name is Sam: Sorry if this has been noted earlier, but is the villain based at the same house/compound that Robin Masters had in Magnum, PI?

The Case Against McGarrett: In addition to bringing back Harold Gould as Honore Vashon, the production staff seemed to bring back some of the extras/small bit players from the original three parter, in particular the warden (we even see the actor in the long flashback sequence, he has the V cut into his cheek) and the assistant warden (who was the gay attorney on the Vashon take in part 3 of the original).

A more general observation: Jack Lord is now in control, production wise. Lord had feuded with William Finnegan, producer of seasons 4-7. The production team for season 8 was two veterans: Philip Leacock (who had earlier overseen three seasons of Gunsmoke and a few first-season episodes of The Wild, Wild West) and Richard Newton, who'd previously worked on Burke's Law and Honey West. Newton would only be around this season, while Leacock would hang around for season 9.

#347 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

Death's Name is Sam: Sorry if this has been noted earlier, but is the villain based at the same house/compound that Robin Masters had in Magnum, PI?

Yes. The Anderson Estate also makes an appearance in this season's "Love Thy Neighbor, Take His Wife."

The Case Against McGarrett: In addition to bringing back Harold Gould as Honore Vashon, the production staff seemed to bring back some of the extras/small bit players from the original three parter, in particular the warden (we even see the actor in the long flashback sequence, he has the V cut into his cheek) and the assistant warden (who was the gay attorney on the Vashon take in part 3 of the original).

Didn't notice the assistant warden/attorney connection. However, when my wife watches The Golden Girls, anytime I see Harold Gould on screen I feel compelled to shout: "Look out Rose, it's Honore Vashon!" B) Before the Vashon Quadrilogy, I associated Gould with his role as the pompous nobleman in Woody Allen's Love & Death.

#348 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:22 PM

My top ten for Five-O's eighth season, always subject to change. The episodes marked with an asterisk (*) are spy/international intrigue stories:

10)Sing a Song of Suspense
9) The Defector*
8) Wooden Model of a Rat
7) Legacy of Terror*
6) Termination with Extreme Prejudice*
5) Target? The Lady
4) Turkey Shoot at Makapuu
3) Retire in Sunny Hawaii---Forever
2) Honor is an Unmarked Grave
1) Murder--Eyes Only*
--------------

Lots of excellent episodes for the 1975-76 season and a big improvement over year seven. Five-O was always a cut above the rest when they handled international intrigue stories.

#349 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:00 AM

A few notable directors in season 8:

-- Philip Leacock, the lead producer directed 2 episodes, including, "Wooden Model of a Rat," with Ed Asner as an appropriately smarmy villain. Leacock was primarily a director during his career with some forays into producing.

-- Michael O'Herlihy, Mr. Five-O director, got to direct his brother Dan (Termination With Extreme Prejudice) and the two-hour Wo Fat episode.

-- David Friedkin, co-creator of I Spy (with his longtime writing partner Morton Fine). By the mid-1970s, Friedkin and Fine apparnetly went their separate ways. Friedkin's Five-O directing credit came near the end of his life and must have been one of his last credits.

#350 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

-- Michael O'Herlihy, Mr. Five-O director, got to direct his brother Dan (Termination With Extreme Prejudice) and the two-hour Wo Fat episode.

O'Herlihy could always be counted on to deliver a quality show. I like his "arty" and creative camera angles which I've come to associate with the late '60s-early '70s style of direction. One of my all-time favorite Five-O episodes is S4's "No Bottles, No Cans, No People." In addition to a brilliantly slimy performance by Henry Darrow, the show has the aforemtioned directorial flash we've come to expect from O'Herlihy. Morton Stevens' score is another plus.

#351 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

O'Herlihy could always be counted on to deliver a quality show. I like his "arty" and creative camera angles which I've come to associate with the late '60s-early '70s style of direction. One of my all-time favorite Five-O episodes is S4's "No Bottles, No Cans, No People." In addition to a brilliantly slimy performance by Henry Darrow, the show has the aforemtioned directorial flash we've come to expect from O'Herlihy. Morton Stevens' score is another plus.

I think you'll like Nine Dragons on the season 9 set. After seeing, compare it (if you can) to another O'Herlihy-directed effort, "The Say U.N.C.L.E. Affair" on the last season of The A-Team.

#352 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:22 PM

I think you'll like Nine Dragons on the season 9 set. After seeing, compare it (if you can) to another O'Herlihy-directed effort, "The Say U.N.C.L.E. Affair" on the last season of The A-Team.

I have no doubts about that, as Nine Dragons looks to be as definitive a spy adventure as Five-O's other notable tales: Cocoon, The Ninety-Second War, and The Jinn Who Clears the Way. Wo Fat always brought out the best in Five-O* and Nine Dragons just looks impressive--even from the opening teaser!

*"Presenting in the Center Ring--Murder" and "Woe to Wo Fat" nothwistanding, though I like the latter in a camp sort of way. I've noticed that in the two below-average seasons of Five-O--seven and twelve--that even the Wo Fat stories suffer a drop in quality.

#353 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

Mike Quigley of the Hawaii Five-O Homepage has posted his early review of the remake. Warning: Tons and tons o'spoilers:

2010 Five-O Pilot Review

#354 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:08 PM

Mike Quigley of the Hawaii Five-O Homepage has posted his early review of the remake. Warning: Tons and tons o'spoilers:

2010 Five-O Pilot Review

Got halfway through and had to bail out. Not sure how I feel about how Ford Motor Co. retains its ties to Five-O.

#355 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:29 PM

Rather pumped for the new version and revisiting the original via discs from lovefilm.com after having watched the odd episode or two during my childhood. Just watched the first disk today - really enjoyed the Bondesque romp of the pilot (it really was just Felix Leiter: The Series, wasn't it?) and the second episode was interesting but felt the third episode lacked something - still, the sheer beauty of the scenery and Lord's scene chewing makes every episode enjoyable enough so far.

Rather disappointed they toned Chin Ho down between the pilot and the series though, rather enjoyed his 'Chin Ho Kelly' strikes again moments but that could have rapidly become irritating if maintained through the whole season.

#356 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:44 AM

Rather pumped for the new version and revisiting the original via discs from lovefilm.com after having watched the odd episode or two during my childhood. Just watched the first disk today - really enjoyed the Bondesque romp of the pilot (it really was just Felix Leiter: The Series, wasn't it?) and the second episode was interesting but felt the third episode lacked something - still, the sheer beauty of the scenery and Lord's scene chewing makes every episode enjoyable enough so far.

Rather disappointed they toned Chin Ho down between the pilot and the series though, rather enjoyed his 'Chin Ho Kelly' strikes again moments but that could have rapidly become irritating if maintained through the whole season.

Another Bond veteran, Lt. Hip appears in the pilot. I really like "Samurai", the one with Ricardo Montalban as a Japanese gangster from the first season.

#357 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:23 AM

Another Bond veteran, Lt. Hip appears in the pilot. I really like "Samurai", the one with Ricardo Montalban as a Japanese gangster from the first season.

Lt. Hip, aka Soon-Tek Oh, shows up in eight episodes altogether, according to his imdb.com profile. He has a critical role in The Jinn Who Clears the Way, one of the best of the Wo Fat episodes (season 5).

#358 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

It's quite obvious that the new show is not for those who love the original Five-O and vice versa, though I hope that those introduced to the remake will find a lot to enjoy from the first series.

However, I believe that the new and old show will end up being split into two camps, much like Mission: Impossible is, with those who like the original show and the others who were introduced to the concept by the movies starring Scientology Boy.

#359 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:28 AM

Just finished Season 1, Disc 2. Rather liked the one with the kidnapping.

#360 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

And the one that begins with the doohickey in the fish was rather good too.