Voice Dubbing in the Bond movies...

76 replies to this topic

#61 BMT-216A

BMT-216A

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

omg! wow now that u mention it honey and domino ARE the same voice! never realised that! haha~

#62 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

omg! wow now that u mention it honey and domino ARE the same voice! never realised that! haha~

Yes, it's funny isn't it? :D

#63 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

For those discussing voice dubbing, here is the full list.

#64 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:49 AM

Pretty mind blowing information. I only ever know of Sylvia Trench's voice being dubbed, what a mind trip. Once you know about Largo and Tigers voice being the same you can't help but notice how much.

Monica vander Syl also does Kissy Suzuki from YOLT according to IMDb and various other voices.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0886424/

#65 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:13 AM

I'va always thought Tania Mallet (Tilly in GF) sounds just like 'Freelance' in Dr. No.
Is that another Minica van der Syl performance?

#66 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:16 AM

I was looking online early for more information but it doesn't seem like there is much I'm guessing because I think a lot of them are 'uncredited.'

IMDb says Monica vander Syl did the voices of
Honey Ryder / DN
Syliva Trench / DR, FRWL
Jill Masterson / GF
Domino / TB
Vesper / CR(67)
Kissy / YOLY
Various / OHMSS
Solitaire / LAD
Various / TMWTGG
Corinne Dufour / MR

She is like a the secret Bond Woman.

"Shocking, positively shocking."

#67 Dan Gale

Dan Gale

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

I was looking online early for more information but it doesn't seem like there is much I'm guessing because I think a lot of them are 'uncredited.'

IMDb says Monica vander Syl did the voices of
Honey Ryder / DN
Syliva Trench / DR, FRWL
Jill Masterson / GF
Domino / TB
Vesper / CR(67)
Kissy / YOLY
Various / OHMSS
Solitaire / LAD
Various / TMWTGG
Corinne Dufour / MR

She is like a the secret Bond Woman.

"Shocking, positively shocking."

#68 Dan Gale

Dan Gale

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

I wouldn't ever contest IMDb but are we sure Jane Seymour was dubbed in Live and Let Die? I'd say it's pretty clear she isn't - she even speaks in the same voice during interviews. Unless Monica redubbed all of those as well. Dubbed dialogue, even when looped by the same actor speaking on screen to get a better recording, nearly always sounds slightly muffled or echoey, the ecoustics change as the scene plays because some lines were recorded on set, others in a sound studio (listen to Lazenby saying "Please stay alive," and then "at least for tonight" straight after as an example. All of Tanaka and most of Goldfinger's voices have this different acoustic making the re-recording very obvious (though some of Gert Frobe's real dialogue does still get used ocassionally). There is no evidence to suggest Jane Seymour is dubbed anywhere by anyone except herself (in some scenes, a perfectly normal film making procedure).

#69 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

Cool titles and question mark logo. Looks great. BOND MYSTERIES #7: HAVE WE MET MR BOND? will be something historians will be debating for 100s of years.

#70 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

That's Seymour's voice in LALD, no question.

#71 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

I would agree her voice is pretty noticeable is it possible that just some of it is dubbed?

#72 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

It sounds like her voice, although it is possible that some of her dialogue is dubbed.

#73 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

Roger Moore, in his Live and Let Die diary talks about having to re-do location dialogue. He says that it is pretty common practice and that he endeavours to remember what he was thinking about at the time of shooting, in order to get the inflection right. He says that he and Jane Seymour had to re-record bits of the poppy field dialogue and that she found it quite difficult.

#74 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

As a kid in Jamaica I always enjoyed Dr No with some of our more illustrious local actors like Reggie Carter as the driver at the airport, a form Ms Jamaica, etc. It wasn't till I moves to the US that I realized that outside of Jamaica these people's voices were all overdubbed. It was funny considering the locals talked quite clearly and were speaking English, heck, at the time of the movie Jamaica has only recently gotten it's independence from England and many of the locals (even those overdubbed) did sound quite English themselves.

#75 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

I can understand those European beauties from the 60s being dubbed as it was the done thing at the time, but why couldn't Anglophone actresses and actors like Ursula Andress and some others speak their own lines? Seems strange to me.

#76 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Probably because Honey wasn't meant to be Italian, and Andress couldn't overcome her native accent (at the time).

It comes down to providing both a face and voice that suits the director's vision (see Singin' in the Rain).

I've always thought that the dubbing work was well-done. Honey and Domino might not have been as appealing, nor Goldfinger and Largo nearly as menacing with their real voices.

#77 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

I always thought Rietti did a lousy job dubbing Celi. Too much sneer in the dubbed voice. Ruined Celi's villainy for me.