Goldeneye Game....

34 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 December 2001 - 08:36 AM

I don't wish to sound ignorant, but what is "Goldeneye 64" all about?

I've been seeing this forum heading for a while now, but no one seems to want to post anything about it.

Signed: A Non-Games Person. :)

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 30 December 2001 - 03:16 AM

level007 (30 Dec, 2001 02:23 a.m.):
hi blofeld cat.

you are wrong ! Goldeneye is one of th ebest game ever made. When it went out in 1997 it was a huge success and considered by many as one of the best game !!

I never said it wasn't. If it was "one of the best game ever" I'm surprised no one wants to talk about it.

#3 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 04:16 AM

I'll talk about it! GoldenEye is an amazing game, and quite possibly the best multiplayer game of all time. When it came out, it was game of the year. And it is still huge now. Even TWINE, which came out a few years later, was not close to competing with it. The company Rare made GoldenEye, and then EA took over and the games haven't been as good. I haven't played Agent Under Fire however.

Rare was able to get the Bond licence so the beginning has a nice N64 rendered gunbarrel sequence. The sound is very good, and the graphics are very nicely detailed and crisp, better than TWINE in my opinion. The single player levels are very fun to play, and model the film, although some are the creation of Rare, including the whole part leading up to the bungee jump.

The multiplayer option is great, with a lot of characters and options and weapons and levels. If you want to play like Bond, select Licence to Kill mode and one bullet kills. Or there's flag tag or team play. The controls of the N64 controller are very good also, so you can kneel and move sideways.

I recommend that you try out this game! It will not disappoint you. It was very well done and I know if you like video games and the Bond series you will love GoldenEye 64.

#4 Elmo 009.5

Elmo 009.5

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 03:27 PM

Blofeld's Cat (30 Dec, 2001 02:22 a.m.):
Thanks for that Elmo. :)

I was wondering when someone was going to say something about it. It would appear that the Games Forum is not moderated by anyone in particular.

You sound like a games person, so compared to other games, Bond or otherwise, how does it stack up?

I get the impression that GoldenEye 64 is a bit of a non-event, because no one wants to talk about it.

Goldeneye is indeed a great game (Or was) It came out in late '97 and remained in the Nintendo top 10 well into '99. It is still enjoyed by many :) (Even by me, mainy because Ive had the game since it came out, I can beat ANYONE at MP :) )

Its SP missions are fun (you may get bored of them now and then but the Cheats can be funny, LOL Slow Anime! )
And the MP was always fun, with little games like Flag Tag, and You could make your up own little games like "Ammo Box Football!" ;D

IMO TWINE for the N64 wasn't as good. Its SP was good, and the levels were detailed but in MP the blokes were hard to see in the levels and the choice of weapons wasn't good (Though the guns themselves were good.)

Its not that hard to compare Goldeneye to 64 games now, Mainly because all the new ones aren't that good. (Things like Bango Tooie, or any of the Pokemon games), the only ones I can think of are "Winback" and "Perfect Dark" (PD was supposed to be Goldeneye 2)

Having only played Winback, I can say that Goldeneye has nowt to worry about :)

And congrats to you Blofelds Cat, for making me write the longest post I have ever done! :)

#5 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 04:09 PM

Goldeneye has been the best Bond game ever. I haven't played AUF, but what I'm hearing from Mr. Moon - it's great.

TND on the PSX was absolutely rubbish!

TWINE made a better attempt at being more like GE, but I found that the graphics quality wasn't as good.

Perfect Dark was a lot like GE, except totally different story and character. You was able to play the classic GE levels in MP, but that was about it.

GE will always be the best Bond game for me. I wish they bought out a new version for the PC - updated and all.

#6 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 04:28 PM

Well, ive got an enjoy playin AUF, athough im my opinion there are not enough characters in MP, also it is a bit 2 easy, it'll tell u ot 2 do wen u get 2 certain points, wen u walk 2wards a man hdin, u c a truck with flamable tanks on it, itll tel u "mmmmm Fireworks" tellin u 2 blo em up, u do that an u kill about 3 men hidin! But, like u sed, the graphics of GE are not as good as AUF. TND, TWINE and 007Racing were jut experiments 2 get a great game, an it seem theyve dun it!!

#7 Elmo 009.5

Elmo 009.5

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 06:37 PM

wow I really got this GE post buzzing ;D

I haven't got a PS2 (yet) and have not had the chance to play AUF, but its sounds pretty good.
Though Im still thinking whether or not to wait for the Game Cube or get a PS2

I take it 007Racing wasn't that good? :)

#8 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 09:02 PM

I think that they took the fun out of TND by having a third-person perspective, unlike GE, which was first-person.The neat thing about PD is that you can also recieve the GE weapons :-) if you complete training in certain times, and GE MP levels, as Dave pointed out.

#9 007_JamesBond

007_JamesBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 February 2002 - 05:00 PM

in my opinion, Goldeneye is one of the best games for N64

#10 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 12:07 AM

GoldenEye is one of those games (the other is Mario Kart) that practically everyone with an N64 has. The single player game is awesome, the backgorunds look alot like the film in many cases and the level objectives make the game really cool, its not just blowing everything out of site. Get three friends over for multiplayer and its the most fun you'll have playing video games. some many great weapons, levels and all the cheats you can use in the deathmatches, GoldenEye rocks, the best Bond game.

TWINE was okay, I remember playing it for the first time, I thought "Yeah, I guess this is pretty good", it doesn't excatly blow your socks off though. The guns are a little sluggish in my opinion and while the multiplayer aspect has more options (like AI bots, King of the Hill, etc) it falls a little behind GE. Still a good game though

#11 Parasyte

Parasyte

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 12:35 PM

GE is simply THE BEST GAME EVER. When Rareware released it 97, they thought it wouldnt sell, as it started life as a side-scrolling 2D SNES platformer. A year later, Nintendo are releasing speacial edition N64's packaged with the bloody thing!!

Thr multi is great, they 1P is ace, and the cheat function thing is good. Having to earn them is one of the simplest and best ideas in the game. Also, the array of weapons is great, and the AI is really quite good for the time it was made. It was also nice to have FPS trhat didnt involve shooting zombies with a mini-nuclear weapon, but instead having to complete objectives and stealth techniques.

Okay, I'm rambling, but I suggest that anyone who sees an N64 who doesnt have one, snap one up now b4 they become extinct (as they will be in about 1 months time) and get GE to go with it.

#12 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 07:17 PM

I have found that Goldeneye is the best N64 game ever. It is just the greatest. I play Goldeneye over all of my james Bond games because it is so much fun.

#13 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 03:05 AM

GoldenEye definitely sets the standards of first-person shooters. Anything below it is not even worth buying.
GoldenEye is based on James Bond 17th adventure. In the game you are Bond

#14 Elmo 009.5

Elmo 009.5

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2001 - 09:21 PM

You play the film, so to speak. Like at the start you have the Dam mission, where you have to get to the point where you jump off, Or theres the St Petersburg Street mission, where you are in a Tank ;D and you have to get to the end of the mission before the timer runs out (There ppl shooting at you and there land mines on the roads)

Theres a good multiplayer thing as well, with some of the levels from the game. You pick a guy i.e Bond, or Boris (Even Odd Job or Jaws :) ) and you kill each other.

#15 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for that Elmo. :)

I was wondering when someone was going to say something about it. It would appear that the Games Forum is not moderated by anyone in particular.

You sound like a games person, so compared to other games, Bond or otherwise, how does it stack up?

I get the impression that GoldenEye 64 is a bit of a non-event, because no one wants to talk about it.

#16 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 02:23 AM

hi blofeld cat.

you are wrong ! Goldeneye is one of th ebest game ever made. When it went out in 1997 it was a huge success and considered by many as one of the best game !! It s fantastic to play to it. Maybe some will find the graphism a little bit old now, but the game is still the best bond game (still better than agent under fire).

So if one time you can get a Nintendo 64 and goldeneye for a cheap price, get it !

#17 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 05:52 PM

Goldeneye 64 is a game producted by Nintendo about the movie GoldenEye. It's a good game.

#18 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 05:57 PM

Made by RareWare for Nintendo.
Just a shame Rare only make games for the Big N. :)
Ive defected to the Sony Playstation 2, and cant get any of their games anymore. I really want Perfect Dark 2 too! :)

#19 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 12:08 PM

Ge64 was a great game, but I have always said that PD was better game. The whole layout, weapons, everything. And there was even the '4 Bond's' in multiplayer, an extra that was promised in GE64, but never came. PD even included training facilities, and if you get golds on evrything, you get 6/7 GE guns, including the PPK. On the whole, Rareware improved with PD:D

#20 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 02:30 PM

Its a shame Rare turned down the Tomorrow Never Dies license, and let it go to Electronic Arts. EA made such a mess of that game.

#21 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 04:11 PM

I spent many sleepless nights in the dorms playing this game, both single player and multiplayer. It is exactly like the film and the multiplayer is so addicting (especially for a bond fan). I've been trying to track down an N64 with goldeneye for several months now for a decent price. AUF for PS2 is in my opinion not near as good. But the graphics and found out recently that multiplayer for AUF is actually pretty cool if set up right. For those of you that own it try setting up a game with the plasma cannon in the Village level with Q-claw, Jet Pack, and Low gravity turned on :), it's very cool. You can swing from building to building like spiderman, it's a wonderful evasion tactic. I'm very anxious to see Nightfire, looks to be a big improvement on AUF, we can only hope it's as good as goldeneye.

Rich

#22 BondChick007

BondChick007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 02:41 PM

I also agree that GE is the best bond game. I have never played PD though, is that for N64 or something else?

#23 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 04:17 PM

Yes, PD is for the Nintendo 64 Game Console. Although, PD has many new features ala Secondary modes on all their weapons and a MUCH better multiplayer than GE64, Goldeneye is better due to the fact of its classic playing ability, you cannot get sick of the old 'Eye :)

~LTK~

#24 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 08:32 PM

Originally posted by ShockTroop22
Its a shame Rare turned down the Tomorrow Never Dies license, and let it go to Electronic Arts. EA made such a mess of that game.

EA mess up every game...:)

#25 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 12:53 AM

yes, TND was pitiful, except for the skiing and driving, after seeing the film at first, I was imagining a huge cool game like goldeneye, I didn't play anything else but GE until TWINE.........

#26 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 12:54 AM

as for PD being better multi players, okay, they had bots, new levels, and a few other improvments, but I'm yet to find a multiplayer game that beats GE, I could play that game forever.

#27 0010

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 04:15 AM

I believe that Goldeneye is the best Bond game ever made so far. Perfect Dark was really cool, but it just wasn't the same without all the cool Bond stuff. TWINE 64 was a step up from TND for ps and is a good game that I would rank as the 3rd best fps for N64. As far as AUF goes, well I didn't really like it. It was too easy and short and doesn't have any replay value for me. I think Nightfire will be much better though. I also heard recently that when the Bond license goes back up for grabs, Rare might buy it again. I think that would be about the only way a game could beat Goldeneye is if it were made by Rare.

#28 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 02:41 PM

well said

#29 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 07:23 PM

Does anyone know or remember how to get the paint brush?
I remember getting it once a long time ago but now I can never get it. From what i remeber you had to start the Dam level and walk up the first tower and pick up the sniper rifle without killing anyone. Then you press A a bunch of times and then magicaly a paint brush comes out.
Anyone recall how to do it? Maybe i was just imagining it?

#30 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Jeff007
Does anyone know or remember how to get the paint brush?
I remember getting it once a long time ago but now I can never get it.  From what i remeber you had to start the Dam level and walk up the first tower and pick up the sniper rifle without killing anyone.  Then you press A a bunch of times and then magicaly a paint brush comes out.
Anyone recall how to do it?  Maybe i was just imagining it?

I remember that...can't remember exactly how I did it though. Supposedly, Bond pulled out his arm instead of a gun and when it was backwards and held in front of him it looked like a paintbrush.