955 replies to this topic

#31 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:24 AM

I have just read over my initial posting, and nowhere therein do I see any reference whatsoever to a man's looks or demeanour.

Please enlighten me.

View Post

Second post then. Silly me, I was rendered bored; such a scatterbrain.

Enlightened?

Thanks for the post about Goldfinger.

View Post

Re the Goldfinger post: you are welcome. I do think it's an interesting anecdote, because I have since watched the movie several times on TV, and that closing comment is never visible; unfortunately, the way movies are run on TV here nowadays, the end credits are never seen -- or, if they are, they are illegible, because the screen is split into half-credit and half-commercials or network previews.

Re the remainder of your post: with all due respect, may I deal with it tomorrow? it's 3:22 am here, and I do have to go to work tomorrow. I assure you, though, that I shall respond at that time.

#32 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:27 AM

Pleasant dreams.

#33 Eye Of The Tiger

Eye Of The Tiger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:30 AM

Ah, thank you Eye of the Tiger for not letting us go a full page without a cheap Craig bash. :)

I'm still waiting on this thread to deliever on the promise of providing a "female viewpoint" on Bond. Come on ladies, you must be out there.

View Post

Your welcome. :)

You know I find it funny how so many people who bash Pierce Brosnan, are getting mad that anyone dare say anything bad about Daniel Craig! They are taking the attitude that it's alright to bash Brosnan till the cows come home, but that we have to bow before Daniel craig.

I know that you were a Brosnan supporter, Zencat, so I'm not referring to you.

But come on Brosnan bashers, don't be hypocrites! :)

#34 AnGer 007

AnGer 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:31 AM

Great thread!
We all know that James Bond is someone that every man wants to be him and every woman wants to go to bed with. That was the case with Connery, Moore and Brosnan. Lazenby and Dalton came pretty close too. (Sorry Wendy!) I just don't see that with Daniel Craig (yet).
So I would love to hear the female fans point of view. Do they think that Craig is handsome, attractive and fits the Bond description? I am also interested to learn how they got the "Bond Bug" and got involved with what is essentially a male fantasy figure. So girls... write.
I don't think this is another Craig-bashing "Is-Craig-Ugly?" thread or that it separates female 007 fans into a ghetto.

#35 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:36 AM

Ah, thank you Eye of the Tiger for not letting us go a full page without a cheap Craig bash. :)

I'm still waiting on this thread to deliever on the promise of providing a "female viewpoint" on Bond. Come on ladies, you must be out there.

View Post

I, too, thank Eye of the Tiger, and I would like -- no, I intend -- to respond to his post tomorrow. But I have to go to work tomorrow. My mistake was making the first post of this thread at 12:50 a.m. Additionally, I rarely post without taking the time first to check through for spelling, grammatical, and libelous errors. So my replies tend to be a bit slow in coming.

I sincerely hope there are other ladies out there, and I know that there are. Nevertheless, on the chance that there are not, please trust that I will respond to any unanswered posts tomorrow. As I stated in the above paragraph, my timing in this case was atrocious.

And -- please believe that I did not open this thread with any intention whatsoever of it turning into an Anti-Craig fest. There are already enough threads in which this sentiment is expressed to handle this matter.

Now, please give me the benefit of the doubt, at least for a day or two, and bear with me. At worst, I can always delete all -- at best, you will be entertained, and, it is to be hoped, see another side of things, which side I have not yet had a chance to present, because I have spent the past two and a half hours on the firing line.

#36 Eye Of The Tiger

Eye Of The Tiger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:38 AM

Here's an idea...

Can someone post the photo from GQ of Pierce Brosnan and Daniel craig standing next to each other? But if possible remove Brosnan's beard from the picture?
And I'm being serious, in other words don't make any joke pictures, just post the photo altered just enough to remove the beard, but don't change anything else from the picture, or add anything either.

Can and will someone please do that?

#37 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:39 AM

Pleasant dreams.

View Post

Thank you, Jim! (I'm trying to get to them!)

#38 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:39 AM

View Post

I, too, thank Eye of the Tiger, and I would like -- no, I intend -- to respond to his post tomorrow.

View Post

Um, you do know I was being sarcastic, don't you?

Here's an idea...

Can someone post the photo from GQ of Pierce Brosnan and Daniel craig standing next to each other? But if possible remove Brosnan's beard from the picture?
And I'm being serious, in other words don't make any joke pictures, just post the photo altered just enough to remove the beard, but don't change anything else from the picture, or add anything either.

View Post

I believe we have a thread with the cover already, Eye. I don't know why you're making that request here. Please let this thread remain on topic (or try to get on topic :)).

#39 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:43 AM

So I just turned on TV-Land expecting to see Cheers, but instead it's some list of the top ten "Sexiest Men."

I've watched the top ten Sexiest Women list before, but since I have this on in the background I have been listening to it a little bit while I surf the web.

Anyway, they are asking female celebs who they think the "sexiest men" are, and right off the bat one of the women said Pierce Brosnan.

Which got me to thinking that 5 or 10 years from now you will never be hearing any female celebs naming Daniel Craig as being one of the ten "sexiest men."

View Post

Actually . . . and very surprising to many readers of this thread . . . I may have a different opinion on that last question you posted, but it is not for any reason you might guess.

However, may I please address it tomorrow? And I promise that I shall: it's actually one of the first discussions I had intended to present.

Promise I shall respond tomorrow

#40 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:43 AM

Go to bed!

#41 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:44 AM

Here's an idea...

View Post

I believe we have a thread with the cover already, Eye. I don't know why you're making that request here. Please let this thread remain on topic (or try to get on topic).

View Post

Brosnsn doesn't have a beard in on the GQ Cover with Daniel Craig. Here's a link to the thread with the photo in it: http://debrief.comma...topic=25496&hl= <--please keep discussion about the photo in that thread, thank you. :)

#42 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:46 AM

This thread is hanging by a thread.

#43 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:47 AM

Go to bed!

View Post

Thank you!

Goodnight!

#44 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:52 AM

This thread is hanging by a thread.

View Post

NO, IT IS NOT!!!

I have a theory which I am going to present tomorrow, but I just can't do it now. The theory is already written, it's valid; however, if I present it now, I am simply not in a position to debate it. I'm in the worst of all possible time zones for a discussion: I'm in Eastern Daylight, which makes it 3:50 a.m. for me, as opposed to you on the west coast for whom it is only the start of the evening (slightly after midnight), and you in England, for whom it is breakfast-time.

Now, please be fair! GIve me a day or two! Evidently, I'm the only female from New York to Toronto who is still awake! (but no more!)

#45 Alessandra

Alessandra

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:45 AM

View Post

Well one is here now (due to just a little time difference which wouldn't allow me to post before... :))
I need to think and then file.
Because despite what some seem to be hinting, we (female bond fans) do have thoughts on a lot of different topics. AND THINK! :) :) :)
Many experienced members here will certainly shread us to pieces in a James Bond contest, but I'm positive I would very likely shred them to pieces in a soccer, tennis, cycling and rugby European contest. (hhh!! typical male topics!! surprise surprise!) And possibly also in a tv-show contest since I'm very keen on quite a few series.
now ok, these aren't serious subjects! :) but that's what movie forums are made for, to have fun discussing stuff which really isn't either serious or essential to life! isn't that just wonderful? :)
Not to mention fashion (where both Wendy and I have knowledge, and I'm not talking about taste, but about the real deal of making a suit!) :)
Now sorry.. need to get thinking before my "one-theme focussed" girl brain fries. (not a chance, I'll keep ice over my head to make sure it doesn't happen!! :) :))

Wendy.. Voltaire is kind of a big deal for us Europeans..(can't talk for Americans, since as much as I love them, I am not one of them!) and southern Europeans (like myself) especially, because it's a big part of our culture. I am delighted you used his sentence to start our thread. :)
I would also add the following, which isn't at all from Plato, or Aristotle, or my beloved Cicero... but from.. Anthony Hopkins (LOL :)):
"stay open.... lightning could strike".
The meaning of which, we'll discuss later in the thread, since it has to do with some of the topics here. :)

#46 Alessandra

Alessandra

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:02 AM

ok now.. ahem ahem.
First, I apologize to those kind readers and "repliers" who posted interesting questions and whose names I don't mention, I have the main questions inside my head but if I get started with names I'm sure I will forget someone, and that just wouldn't be fair!
I promise I will take time to reply to each one later :)
but here's a general answer.
I have been seeing Bond (like soccer, and sports in general!) since I was uh... probably two! (that's the earliest of which I clearly remember something) :)
now.. how can a two-year old see Bond movies?? :)
Well..my parents have always loved Bond movies, and I didn't either have a separate television or, least of all, the permission to move to a different room and watch cartoons (which weren't on at night in Italy at those times, so no way) when my parents tuned in! :) :)
now, I've always been a little girl with a hell of a lot of imagination, and an interest in stylish protagonists of detective-spy stories, since I remember discussing with my mom when I was about four on the fact I preferred Tony Curtis to Roger Moore in "the persuaders" lol :) (now no i'm not THAT old!! lol :) it started in Britain earlier than in Italy, it arrived here a few years later).
My mom of course told me she couldn't believe I would prefer Curtis when Moore was so evidently better looking, but I heard no reasons, I preferred Tony and he was the best :) (infact, Moore is my least favourite of Bonds together with Lazenby).
The first thing that I vividly remember as stiking me about Bond at two was... Ursula Andress! Now now, I was wondering.. how can that girl be almost as beautiful as my mom? and have that very elegant sir who chases away all the bad guys?? who is he daddy? it's james bond! it's a movie, he's the good guy!
So off I am, I want a guy like that! :)
That's how it all started.
My favourite Bond movie (again, a little girl's memory has the biggest influence ever!) is "from russia with love". I haven't been watching it in a long time, probably because now that I'm a big girl, I tend to watch more recent movies, but since every once in a while it's on TV, I do enjoy seeing it with my mom.. who laughs out loud at the thought of what I said when I was two and totally uncapable of understanding what on earth that James Bond guy -- whom I saw as Prince Charming -- was like. :)
The fact that Daniela Bianchi was in the movie was value added to me, proud to see that someone from my country could actually get Bond! so why not me, I thought when I was little?? (lol ok that's sick, but hey, a child just doesn't know! :))
Besides, I still today find her one of the most charming Bond girls ever, together with Carey Lowell.
So that was it, sold, and ever since I've always been watching Bond movies.
Goldfinger really scared me, but I liked that fabulous car! and of course my parents wouldn't let me watch scenes which were too violent and all that... so the main attraction to me in Bond has always been.. BOND HIMSELF! :)
now, the fact I'm Italian, and from a family involved in fashion and food and wine businesses, plays quite a great role in my passion for Bond.
Seeing such a well dressed, stylish man, who was goodlooking, strong against his enemies and a spy... AND drinking champagne, definitely impressed me. Which is probably why those are features that, nowadays too, I value a lot in Bond, and in a Bond actor. (together with the priceless humour! But that as a child can hardly be understood!)
Growing up (and I know that purists will kill me for this, but it's the truth) I came to like Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan just as much as Connery in the role, though of course he remains "the original" :D.
What I like in Bond, is that it's not simply a spy/action movie. It is a classy, stylish, witty spy/action movie, where women always play a role, and fight over the sexy, goodlooking spy! (who will dump all of them at the end, ready for the next movie, but who cares! :D)
Men probably focus more on the fact he A) kicks his enemies a...s and drives fast cars and :D sleeps with all the girls. But that's just not all about Bond, there's a lot of what I mentioned here above, and my guess (I can't speak for every woman on the planet!) is that us ladies notice those things far more than the opposite sex, and like Bond because of those!
I don't want Bond films to become in any way similar to action movies that pay out well at the box office now, (like the bournes) because they would lose the characteristics that make them so enjoyable and special to me! (of course, others are free to think the exact opposite, I'm just expressing my point of view.)
I don't like the cuts on style, gadgets (well compared to the last few ones, ok, cut a bit. but one of the things I still enjoy most seeing is when Bond is given his new car and I see all those fabulous gadgets it is equipped with!) and least of all a change in the good looks and style of the protagonist.
but this is another matter. I will reply to specific questions later.
As far as Fleming is concerned, my dad read a lot of those and I crossed paths with a couple of them, but still enjoyed watching more than the read.
I basically only read "serious" literature, mainly English. (because I had too much of Italian and French until the end of high school!).
My favourite authors are Jane Austen, E.M. Forster and Henry James, so that has little to do with Fleming!
But I still enjoyed that coupla Fleming novels, out of curiosity aroused by the movies. :D
I am deeply fascinated by Bond and his world still as of today, and I enjoy Bond movies a lot.... and I feel like this new turn is stripping me of my dreams, which started when I was a little girl! :D
Now is this long and explanatory enough? probably not, but I guess it'll do for now.
"the name is Bond... James Bond... and yes I'm about to serve you a glass of champagne Alessandra!" now THIS is my favourite Bond line! :)

PS: and I am one of those girls who firmly believes in a)prince charming b)santa c) seeing my parents, everlasting love.
So, aside from c), I have good points to like Bond, since he's sort of a prince charming brought by Santa! :D

Edited by Alessandra, 19 October 2005 - 10:06 AM.

#47 AnGer 007

AnGer 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:49 AM

"...Men probably focus more on the fact he kicks his enemies a...s and drives fast cars and sleeps with all the girls..."

Yeah, that's pretty much it actually. You mean there is more in Bond than that? (Just joking.)
So... what's your take on Bond #6 Alessandra?

#48 Alessandra

Alessandra

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:10 PM

"...Men probably focus more on the fact he kicks his enemies a...s and drives fast cars and  sleeps with all the girls..."

Yeah, that's pretty much it actually. You mean there is more in Bond than that? (Just joking.)
So... what's your take on Bond #6 Alessandra?

View Post

lol :)
Hi AnGer, and thank you for reading us! :)
well yea there's a LOT more to Bond.
for example.. have you guys learnt how to make a woman SWOON from Bond??? Yes! because Bond makes us SWOON! :)
well well... I have expressed my thoughts elsewhere, but the answer to your quesiton is that based on my views on Bond and what I like in Bond, I feel like the no.6 doesn't respond to my personal requirements! :)
not exactly prince charming (as per my points above), and, like Wendy said, he doesn't have the style and the IT to me. (the IT cannot be defined.. it's just IT.. it's the je ne sais quoi which makes a man irresistible like Bond! that paired with good looks, wit and class :))
I loved Brosnan, I loved Dalton...I don't like the new guy. I've seen him act and he's very good, don't misunderstand me! just doesn't fit my image of Bond.
what worries me most is that it seems like they want to completely change the general "allure" of Bond in the new movie.. and he seems fitting this idea. So as far as producers' idea is concerned, I'm sure he'll do great :)
But I don't share that idea! :)
as I said above, I feel like they're stripping me of my dreams! (wendy would add.. well men always want to strip us of something, how could we blame them?? lol :))
let's put it like this. From Russia with love is my favourite.
now, I can't exactly picture this dialogue taking place between the new bond and the whatever Bond girl (Please please NOT angelina jolie!!):
tatiana: "you're even nicer than your photograph!" (:))
bond: "you're the most beautiful girl I have ever seen"
lol :)
Still, I'm sure other women are perfectly happy with him. not among my friends, but on here I've read of women who find the guy hot! :).. am waiting for their views to be posted on here, this is DA PLACE! :)
and what do YOU think.. why do you like Bond.. for the reasons I listed as more common to men?? :)

#49 tonymascia1

tonymascia1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:28 PM

This may well be the most interesting and fun thread on the entire site, thanks to the two "ultimate Bond Girls" who started this.

Both authors have expressed their misgivings on Mr. Craig as Bond, which appear to center on 1) his looks, 2) his "class" (Or perceived lack thereof), and 3) not having "it". --- with Numbers 2 and 3 being the most important.

Sean Connery was very much the working-class Scot when he auditioned for Doctor No. As Ian Fleming first said about him: "...that...lorry driver". No class, right? Terence Young (the first Bond movie director) took Sean under his wing, and taught him about wines, food, clothing, etc., and transformed him to the point that Fleming's last Bond novels revealed Bond was part-Scot, admittedly a tribute to the man he was now proud to have represent his creation.

Surely, Daniel Craig could eliminate the "lack of class" perception.

So far as having "it": sometimes, it's the role that makes the man. Off the top of my head, two of People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" winners were Harry Hamlin and William Katt --- would these guys show up on ANYONE'S Top 1000 List today (they still look good)? My sense is Daniel Craig will be up for these lists for the forseeable future, strongly due to the major films in release with him in the next thirteen months.

A comment I have on the Bond series: growing with (or maybe ahead of) public opinion, Bond movies may well be among the very first --- without being trendy or having a political agenda --- to have capable, resourceful, dynamic characters as Bond Girls. As a fan, I'm particularly proud of this. No more slap on the butt and saying "Man talk", Bond shows empowering his distaff sidekicks (or, being comfortable with them empowering themselves) works for the best --- a message some people still don't get today.

Questions? Comments? Opinions?

Good luck with this, Dalton's Wendy and Alessandra. If only there were Bond Girls like you in the lovely Garden State of New Jersey... :)

#50 tonymascia1

tonymascia1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:47 PM

One more point which should be "obvious", but isn't always...

Purely from a statistical and/or "business" reference, as much as I think my opinions are well-formed and well-reasoned, other moviegoers' opinions, must be acknowledged and respected. This includes women, especially women who would not consider themselves "Bond fans" (putting Our Beloved Dalton's Wendy and Alessandra in the minority).

A very high percentage of women I know who are avid moviegoers, and who enjoy good action/adventure films, loved Sean Connery and Roger Moore, really liked Pierce Brosnan, thought there was something missing with Timothy Dalton (one reason I'm not seeing them anymore :) ), and couldn't remember George Lazenby. So, unless I pay to see Casino Royale several hundred times, my strong support of Craig weighs as much as someone weighing whether they'll see CR, or pop in a DVD of Fried Green Tomatoes --- an extreme example, but it illustrates my point.

By all accounts, Barbara Broccoli was Craig's champion. Also, SONY (without EON's blessing) offered Craig the role back in April, with the responsibility going to Amy Pascal. The question: how much of their decision was based on their own views, and how much was based on seeing something that would appeal to the larger female population?

I'm not afraid to say I have no idea...

#51 tonymascia1

tonymascia1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:10 PM

Questions for this thread's sponsors (and all other female members)...

What is it that makes a Bond film --- or a Bond actor --- special for you?

What changes in the movies/in Bond himself over the last 40 years you've liked the most? What changes do you like the least (or out-andout dislike)? If you could write/produce/direct Your Ultimate Bond Movie, what would you do (other than casting me :) )?

Edited by tonymascia1, 19 October 2005 - 01:11 PM.

#52 Alessandra

Alessandra

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:32 PM

This may well be the most interesting and fun thread on the entire site, thanks to the two "ultimate Bond Girls" who started this.

Tony darling, now about that dinner I would pay that we discussed before you posted this.... LOL :) :)
I thank you VERY much for this wonderful contribution of yours.. and for the compliments of course.

Both authors have expressed their misgivings on Mr. Craig as Bond, which appear to center on 1) his looks, 2) his "class" (Or perceived lack thereof), and 3) not having "it". --- with Numbers 2 and 3 being the most important.

Sean Connery was very much the working-class Scot when he auditioned for Doctor No.  As Ian Fleming first said about him: "...that...lorry driver".  No class, right?  Terence Young (the first Bond movie director) took Sean under his wing, and taught him about wines, food, clothing, etc., and transformed him to the point that Fleming's last Bond novels revealed Bond was part-Scot, admittedly a tribute to the man he was now proud to have represent his creation.

Surely, Daniel Craig could eliminate the "lack of class" perception.

Author no.2 (as Dalton's Wendy is for merit on the field of course no.1 :) ) thinks that Connery had one thing which made him special: he was "sex on legs". I mean seriously, the guy had such an amazing amount of sex appeal that a girl was blown away immediately!
On the class thing in fact, I find he didn't have all the class that both Pierce Brosnan and Timothy Dalton have, but that he certainly acquired a certain taste and greatly made up for the (so to say) "lack of class" with an incredible amount of sexiness. Which I don't see in Craig (again, surely other women will have opposite views on this!:))
let's say that class can be acquired (which I don't think. As Valentino would say "people either have class or don't. you are born with it."). now... I don't have a clear image of Terence Young in my head (I was TOO YOUNG!! :D), but considered attitudes and tastes of the era, I'm sure he was very accomplished. Ahhh the movies of the 50s and 60s... I just love them! gimme Audrey (Hepburn), Grace (Kelly) and Cary (Grant) any time!! :D My all-time favourites. [censored] (Sabrina being my all time favourite movie).
Times have changed... and now we have Martin Campbell.
now, surely he is a great director of Hollywood blockbuster movies... but.. err.. teaching how to acquire class???? :) Zorro and Tomb Raider? :D :D
Seriously, I don't know anything about Campbell tastes, but looking at him and hearing him talk, he looks very similar to Craig, rather than someone who could take him under his wing and get him into the stylish, refined tastes that Bond has. Just an impression, I may as well be mistaken. But as of now, this is my impression.

So far as having "it": sometimes, it's the role that makes the man.  Off the top of my head, two of People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" winners were Harry Hamlin and William Katt --- would these guys show up on ANYONE'S Top 1000 List today (they still look good)?  My sense is Daniel Craig will be up for these lists for the forseeable future, strongly due to the major films in release with him in the next thirteen months.

Aaah one of my favourite subjects, those lists! I may have agreed with those probably... ONCE or TWICE in my life! lol :)
now are you serious Tony dear??? William Katt was in that list?!??!?! Man! :D
This being the premise, I am certain that Craig will be in one of those sooner or later, based on the success of his movies. (if they aren't successful, probably not, but if they are, surely so!). He won't take my vote in any case for that! lol :D

A comment I have on the Bond series:  growing with (or maybe ahead of) public opinion, Bond movies may well be among the very first --- without being trendy or having a political agenda --- to have capable, resourceful, dynamic characters as Bond Girls.  As a fan, I'm particularly proud of this.  No more slap on the butt and saying "Man talk", Bond shows empowering his distaff sidekicks (or, being comfortable with them empowering themselves) works for the best --- a message some people still don't get today.

now this, I have to clap hands at you for. :) :) It is so true that many people don't even notice! :D
Bond may as well resource to slap on the butt when it's the case, but he doesn't do it out of disrespect, but out of his thorough enjoyment for women. (and women slap him back also!! :) :) )
Which is another of the big themes that thrill me about him: women have A LOT of power in his movies (yes, that's even if he dumps them before his next mission! [censored]) and he treats them like the sole object of his attention (aside from enemies trying to kill him of course :)) for the whole time he is with them. He likes the challenge with them, and he likes women who challenge him. That's something which is so fantastically intelligent and at the same time, sexy, that I can barely explain. Do you guys have an idea how much a situation like that intrigues a woman?? well watch Bond and you'll know!! lol [censored] [censored]
Of course it's not for a long-term relationship, but who cares!! we all look for a good dose of undying passion every once in a while! [censored] Plus, it's a movie, let me enjoy it and leave my dreams alone! lol [censored]

Questions?  Comments?  Opinions?

Good luck with this, Dalton's Wendy and Alessandra.  If only there were Bond Girls like you in the lovely Garden State of New Jersey... :)

View Post

Sure, right above for you Tony! many thanks for the contribution and for the good luck wish.. now on New Jersey and our possible presence there... beware, I may be visiting my American friends on the East Coast soon!! :)
you ready for a challenge? [censored] [censored]

#53 tonymascia1

tonymascia1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:44 PM

[quote name='Alessandra' date='19 October 2005 - 09:32'][quote name='tonymascia1' date='19 October 2005 - 13:28'][quote]
This may well be the most interesting and fun thread on the entire site, thanks to the two "ultimate Bond Girls" who started this.[/quote]

Tony darling, now about that dinner I would pay that we discussed before you posted this.... LOL :) :)
I thank you VERY much for this wonderful contribution of yours.. and for the compliments of course.

[quote]Both authors have expressed their misgivings on Mr. Craig as Bond, which appear to center on 1) his looks, 2) his "class" (Or perceived lack thereof), and 3) not having "it". --- with Numbers 2 and 3 being the most important.

Sean Connery was very much the working-class Scot when he auditioned for Doctor No.

#54 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:50 PM

Minor request:
Could you keep the excessive qouting of qouted quotes a bit in check?
Makes it much easier for the eye. Thanks.

#55 Alessandra

Alessandra

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:59 PM

One more point which should be "obvious", but isn't always...

Purely from a statistical and/or "business" reference, as much as I think my opinions are well-formed and well-reasoned, other moviegoers' opinions, must be acknowledged and respected.  This includes women, especially women who would not consider themselves "Bond fans" (putting Our Beloved Dalton's Wendy and Alessandra in the minority).

A very high percentage of women I know who are avid moviegoers, and who enjoy good action/adventure films, loved Sean Connery and Roger Moore, really liked Pierce Brosnan, thought there was something missing with Timothy Dalton (one reason I'm not seeing them anymore  :)  ), and couldn't remember George Lazenby.  So, unless I pay to see Casino Royale several hundred times, my strong support of Craig weighs as much as someone weighing whether they'll see CR, or pop in a DVD of Fried Green Tomatoes --- an extreme example, but it illustrates my point.

By all accounts, Barbara Broccoli was Craig's champion.  Also, SONY (without EON's blessing) offered Craig the role back in April, with the responsibility going to Amy Pascal.  The question:  how much of their decision was based on their own views, and how much was based on seeing something that would appeal to the larger female population? 

I'm not afraid to say I have no idea...

View Post

this is a very good point, and I really have no answer to it. If it's true it has to be given credit only to Barbara Broccoli and Amy Pascal for casting him, then I tend to think that two women for sure have seen potential in him (difficult to get two women to agree on something easily, unless there's a big diamond involved!! :)), thus potentially representing a part of the larger female population. Of course, they may as well have chosen based solely on their views, but I cannot know.

As for the moviegoers, I totally agree. And it's one of the points that Dalton's Wendy made in our introduction, regarding female viewers. We're a large part of the population (in Italy, we're the vast majority, no kidding! one man every three women!), and our opinion (I'm going, I'm not going) can certainly influence the good box office result of a movie.
it's really difficult to talk for every woman, because we're so diversified and capriciously complicated that one cannot read in the thoughts of the other! :)
But I think it would be a good move for Eon and Sony to think about well advertising the movie to women specifically.. like "a Bond girl dress will be awarded to one lucky fan who goes to see the movie at xxx theatre"!! I'm just kidding :)
Seriously, appealing the girls is a big part of it I think. Connery did it very well without needing to talk much (his sexiness spoke for him! lol), Dalton was very handsome and detachedly intellectual (which also is a great attraction to women) and Brosnan.. well he was too handsome to resist!
Craig may have to work on it more, but I think for example with some good humour (I found him funny during the press conference at times) he could reach out to much more women fans than he has now. :)

#56 Alessandra

Alessandra

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:01 PM

Minor request:

View Post

oops. you're right, i noticed that too after posting. :)

#57 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:05 PM

Craig grows on you. I can see it in Dalton's Wendy and Alessandra's posts already. :)

I think women understand Bond more than blokes give them credit for. I'm always surprised how astute my wife is when talking Bond (which is rare). She's not interested in him to the same degree I am (which anyway is only mildly interested, ahem), but she knows what works. Watching NSNA on TV a few months ago, I asked her what she thought of Connery as an older Bond, and she just said 'It's Connery. He is Bond.' Sounded like a complete fanboy. :) She loved the Bourne fillms, hated DAD, loved OHMSS but thought Lazenby was a bit awkward and Blofeld's plot a bit silly. I tend to listen to her views. She's not going to discuss the Hargreaves/Messervy thing, and indeed often can't articulate what she likes or dislikes about Bond or any other artistic endeavour. But her instincts are usually pretty spot-on. I think that may be a female thing. Men tend to analyse to death (I'm a clear exception). Women just call it.

:)

#58 Alessandra

Alessandra

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:16 PM

Craig grows on you. I can see it in Dalton's Wendy and Alessandra's posts already. :)

I think women understand Bond more than blokes give them credit for. I'm always surprised how astute my wife is when talking Bond (which is rare). She's not interested in him to the same degree I am (which anyway is only mildly interested, ahem), but she knows what works. Watching NSNA on TV a few months ago, I asked her what she thought of Connery as an older Bond, and she just said 'It's Connery. He is Bond.' Sounded like a complete fanboy. :) She loved the Bourne fillms, hated DAD, loved OHMSS but thought Lazenby was a bit awkward and Blofeld's plot a bit silly. I tend to listen to her views. She's not going to discuss the Hargreaves/Messervy thing, and indeed often can't articulate what she likes or dislikes about Bond or any other artistic endeavour. But her instincts are usually pretty spot-on. I think that may be a female thing. Men tend to analyse to death (I'm a clear exception). Women just call it.

:)

View Post

now now..introduce your lady to us Spy! :)
we are eager to listen to her views too! (not that yours don't matter to us :))
Thought on Connery absolutely shared by myself.. infact as I said above, although I like the latest two (Dalton and Brosnan) as much, he is "the original".
now gentlemen, would you kindly tell us if what strikes you most in a Bond movie is as I said A)he kicks his enemies' a...s and drives fast cars and b)he sleeps with all the girls
..or what other things strike you most??
I am curious on this, and I like to compare the different views.. :)

#59 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:01 PM

I'm comfortable with my sexuality so I'm gonna weigh on the 'prettiness of the fellas'.

Personally, I think Craig is fairly average in terms of looks. He's not ugly as most would put it, again my opinion, but he's not drop dead, knee-buckling gorgeous either.

Really though, I think he's getting a raw deal because Brosnan was a very, very handsome man and to go from him to Craig, is a bit of a step down in terms of sheer physical facial beauty. It would've been the same with Owen too. There's a certain 'Realness' to their looks.

Mind you, there is an interesting sort of cruelty in Craig's face, that Brosnan didn't really have, that I think will work extremely well for the character of Bond.

However, there is so much more to being attractive than just your face. It's how someone talks, walks, really, how comfortable they seem in their skin.

I have yet to see Craig act as Bond yet so who knows, maybe the entire package is more appealing than the photos flying around.

Just my two cents.

~Felix

#60 tonymascia1

tonymascia1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:01 PM

Minor request:

View Post

You've shot your bolt, Stromberg. Now it's my turn... :) :)