This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Timothy Dalton James Bond Film

408 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Timothy Dalton James Bond Film (505 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Timothy Dalton James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 BLOFELDSKAT

BLOFELDSKAT

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:08 AM

Don't understand this nonsense about Dalton's hair in LTK. Looked fine to me. So what if it's slicked back? He's hardly balding!
I think it added to his air (no pun intended) of dangerousness... slick it back and come on if you think you're hard enough!!!
My thoughts anyway......meaoow!

#212 Carolinabond007

Carolinabond007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:19 PM

TLD...no contest.

#213 Barry the Saint

Barry the Saint

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:15 AM

Im not a great fan of either of Daltons films to be honest but i would pick LTK for its faster pace and Robert Davi as Sanchez who was brlliant in the role.

#214 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

Licence To Kill

#215 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

Licence to Kill. :D

#216 The White Tuxedo

The White Tuxedo

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:47 AM

I voted for THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, but I'm a fan of both. I prefer difference things about each. I think that somewhere between them lies one helluva film!

TLD is more polished. It also has a terrific cast all round. LTK has some weak supporting actors in there. Mostly tertiary parts. Though TLD does have a terrible Leiter.

LTK has a wonderful atmosphere in parts. Key West is kinda trashy, but I like Ithmus. Even in the locations weren't used as well.

LTK's biggest weakness is that it doesn't go all the way. Bond is one his own, until Q shows up with a magic gun.

#217 MissDalton99

MissDalton99

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:58 AM

Dalton is my favorite Bond. Don't ask me why, because I can't explain. (I think the green eyes have something to do with it, considering I have them too...) :D

And LTK, even though the plot has many faults, seems to be the best display of Dalton's talents. It's a dark movie, but Dalton is a very dark Bond. TLD has a great plot, but LTK works better for him in my opinion.

#218 Licence_007

Licence_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:30 PM

I think these 2 films are just brilliant. Dalton really brought a more realistic edge back to Bond after Moore (even though he is good as well) and I think The Living Daylights just edges it.

#219 Felix Heavier

Felix Heavier

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:43 AM

I prefer Licence to Kill, but only slightly. Both of Dalton's Bond films are amazing, in my opinion.

#220 tama_drummer91

tama_drummer91

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:35 AM

For some reason I don't get around to watching the Dalton films as much as I should. I sometimes forget how great he was as Bond. Both The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill are awesome. I prefer Licence to Kill myself. I have found it to be more entertaining, much more darker, and just a great action film in general. Great hard edge Bond flick.

#221 Scaramanga'74

Scaramanga'74

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:51 AM

The Living Daylights remains an all time favourite. Licence To Kill could have been better. John Barry is sorely missed.

#222 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:42 PM

I love both of these. I voted for LTK, but I really do love TLD too. LTK has better villains and girls, plus it has a great plot. And Q has his biggest role in a movie to date.

TLD is more of a proper Bond movie however, with better locations and PTS. Also I love the car chase, scenes in Vienna and Necros.

#223 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:05 AM

Yes, Dalton had a much better chance to stamp his authority on LTK. Good plot and villains you hate really drives the story forward.

#224 George Lazenby

George Lazenby

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

My vote would have to go to LTK, IMO Dalton at his best :tup:

#225 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:58 PM

This is a great thread. I anticipated it to be a close contest, as both of Dalton's contributions were marvellous. My vote went to Licence To Kill, but I think The Living Daylights has just as much right to be number 1. It's an absolute tradgedy Dalton was unable to do any more Bond films (although I don't think he would've suited Goldeneye, as it took a step back from Dalton's gritty portrayal and had a touch of Roger Moore about it in the script) :tup:

Edited by Conlazmoodalbrocra, 05 May 2008 - 10:59 PM.

#226 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

Defeinetly The Living Daylights.

#227 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:33 PM

License to Kill.

#228 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:05 AM

Licence To Kill. My favourite Bond movie of all time. But TLD is not far behind. It's just that its first quarter is too Moorish for my taste.

#229 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

I have a confession to make. I haven't seen either one! I'm willing to give them a shot though. See when I was a girl my mother was anti-Dalton, and so we stopped seeing Bond flicks at the cinema after Roger's era ended. I know I should have then as an adult watched the movies myself, but I've been very bad.. But I will honestly sit myself down one of these days and watch them.

#230 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:50 PM

See when I was a girl my mother was anti-Dalton, and so we stopped seeing Bond flicks at the cinema after Roger's era ended.

Anyone who prefers latter day Moore to any Dalton, should be fed to Blofelds' Piranha Fish! :tup:

Anyway, I like both films equally really but I'm going for LTK 'cos Davi and Lowell are both great - plus it's greatness needs defending against the Heathens....

#231 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

I voted for The Living Daylights, because it's simply better and a good Bondfilm. More action, better locations and great music.

Licence to Kill is one of the weakest Bondfilms for me, but Dalton is very good in this one.

Edited by ChrissBond007, 31 May 2008 - 08:56 PM.

#232 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:06 PM

Licence to Kill is one of the weakest Bondfilms for me

Booh!
Booh!
Booh! :tup:

Edited by Peckinpah1976, 01 June 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#233 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:20 PM

The Living Daylights!

LTK is too slow and boring for me.

#234 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

LTK is too slow and boring for me.

It depends what mood i'm in, some times it can be Licence to Kill other times it can be Licence to Bore. But I see The Living Daylights as Daltons strongest Bond movie.

#235 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:56 PM

You see, this is the funny thing. I'd say LTK is a much better paced movie than TLD (in fact it's one of the tightest and leanest of the entire series); sure it lacks the big action set-pieces normally associated with the Bond films but not a single second is wasted; everything that happens is fully in service of advancing the plot (unlike say, the car chase in the preceding film which is there entirely for it's own sake and only because we're an hour in and it's about time we got a few explosions etc).

#236 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

For some reason I am in the mood to watch LTK...go figure.

#237 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

Licence to Kill wins this one for me. In plot, pacing, and characterization, I believe that it's far superior to its predecessor. As others have said, it's Dalton at his best.

Edited by MicroGlobeOne, 01 June 2008 - 06:58 PM.

#238 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

The Living Daylights would be my choice. I think this is the best bond movie of the 1980's. Wonderful score and title song, direction, script, and performances. LTK is very good, but too American for me, and devoid of the sophistication James Bond requires. I always felt that LTK was a too bigger step away from the Bond character that was presented in TLD. I don't think audiences were ready for such a tougher, violent harder Bond in 1989. I think LTK would have served better at the box office as Tims third film, with a second film being more transitional in developing the tougher character presented in LTK. It didn't help that in LTK Tim didn't even look like the Bond he played in TLD!

#239 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

You see, this is the funny thing. I'd say LTK is a much better paced movie than TLD (in fact it's one of the tightest and leanest of the entire series); sure it lacks the big action set-pieces normally associated with the Bond films but not a single second is wasted; everything that happens is fully in service of advancing the plot (unlike say, the car chase in the preceding film which is there entirely for it's own sake and only because we're an hour in and it's about time we got a few explosions etc).

I wouldn't call LTK "paced" at all. The plot (or whatever we should call it) is moving forward extremely slow. The scenes in Key West seems to go on forever, forever and forever... and when they go to "Isthmus" we enter a new eternity. When Sanchez finally holds his speech for the druglords you have to start using all kind of tricks to stay awake.

But I dont blame Glen for this. There was a true lack of inventive ideas from the writers and simply not enough story to tell for a film this long. I mean, imagine what would've happened if Lewis Gilbert ever got this script in his hand... he would've film the first 50 pages in one take.

#240 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

No offence but I think that says more about your own expectations of what a Bond film should be than it does anything else. I don't find this film remotely boring, yet GE (for instance) really is tedious IMO -despite it having more and bigger action scenes. Personally, I don't equate pacing with action (which possibly you do) but rather plot momentum which (unusually for a Bond film) LTK has plenty of - this has nothing to do with how strong the story is (which admittedly is fairly routine here) but how events unfold. Of course it's all a matter of personal taste but my point is that in LTK the action is dictated by the plot and not (as it is in most Bond movies) the other way round. I think your comments about Lewis Gilbert are pretty strange, considering two of his three Bond films (YOLT & MR) are two of the worst structured and ill-disciplined films of the entire series.

Edited by Peckinpah1976, 01 June 2008 - 08:20 PM.