This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Timothy Dalton James Bond Film

408 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Timothy Dalton James Bond Film (505 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Timothy Dalton James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#391 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

I will always defend Timothy Dalton and his Bond movies. 

License to Kill will always be my favorite. I loved both the title song and the ending song (If you Ask Me To) I would love for that song to be played at my wedding. I also love both the Bond women for different reasons. I like how ruthless the villain is. He can be taken seriously because of how vicious he is and scary. I just really enjoyed this Bond movie a lot.

LTK will always be my fav of the Bond movies as well. I love everything about that movie. The actors & actresses, the way it was written, and directed, just everything. The scores were both great songs.

I know! I still listen to Gladys Knight's License to Kill. It's a really sexy song. That sounds weird to say but it's true. Whenever I listen to it, I imagine myself in a ball gown walking around all beautiful and such :P 

#392 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

I feel ya! Everytime I hear those two songs, I end up rewinding the discs at least 2-3 time each lmao!

#393 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

I feel ya! Everytime I hear those two songs, I end up rewinding the discs at least 2-3 time each lmao!

Exactly! I also love the Bond women. They are stunning and are great for different reasons. We have the Bond girl who needs to be rescued and is beyond beautiful but also the Bond girl who actually helps Bond and kicks ass. I love it.

#394 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

Exactly! I also love the Bond women. They are stunning and are great for different reasons. We have the Bond girl who needs to be rescued and is beyond beautiful but also the Bond girl who actually helps Bond and kicks ass. I love it.

And they compliment each other & Dalton perfectly. Love how multi talented Carey Lowell was in the movie, and her & Soto are both two of the most beautiful women in the series.

#395 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

I think that I was probably far too young when I first saw Licence to Kill. I don't think I was even ten years old at the time. Violence in films don't really bother me anymore but back then I was a very sensitive child so the level of violence shocked and upset me. Although it was one of the Bond's I watched the most so I guess at the same time I was fascinated at how a Bond film could be so violent. I had the same reaction to Batman Returns, watching it made me feel uncomfortable but I still watched frequently.

#396 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:36 AM

I think that I was probably far too young when I first saw Licence to Kill. I don't think I was even ten years old at the time. Violence in films don't really bother me anymore but back then I was a very sensitive child so the level of violence shocked and upset me. Although it was one of the Bond's I watched the most so I guess at the same time I was fascinated at how a Bond film could be so violent. I had the same reaction to Batman Returns, watching it made me feel uncomfortable but I still watched frequently.

Dalton played a very aggresive & vengeful Bond in LTK. I remember being like wooo, this Bond is very different from the Moore or Connery style Bond I grew up with lol!

#397 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Yeah Dalton is very different but I like that though. I mean reading through Fleming's novels, Dalton had the look of Bond but certainly not the attitude.

#398 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

I'm a long-time literary Bond fan (though I also love the movies), and I have to disagree with you, Iceskater101.  Timothy Dalton is James Bond.

#399 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:50 AM

I think he isn't James Bond in the novel. When I read the novels, I think of Sean Connery

#400 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

I've chosen TLD, because LtK is for me a very slow, boring movie. Not that I like TLD that much. The first half is great, but afther that it gets more boring every minute.

#401 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

The Living Daylights does fall apart at the second half, I do agree with you there. 

#402 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

I first read the Fleming novels in my pre teen-early teen years. The Bond I had in mind was Connery, even though the language used by the book Bond didn't always fit that of the screen Bond. Re-reading them aged eighteen, one a day, it was still Connery. Now, listening to them on CD, I'm not sure - by which I mean I'm not sure I see any of the Bond actors as the Bond of the books. Instead I now think of him as a separate character from the actors playing him on screen, very much reflecting the tastes of the man who created him.

That said, in terms of actors being influenced by this "book" Bond, I think Dalton is one of the closest to him. He is a great actor and I wasn't surprised when he said, on taking up the part, that he wanted to play Ian Fleming's Bond. Unfortunately, Ian Fleming's Bond has a dark side, which was translated to the screen by Dalton in some ways - tougher, more serious, more ruthless than Moore or, in some aspects Connery - but not others. Fleming's Bond is a bit of a snob, and can sometimes be callous with people in general and women in particular. This callous side of Bond, I think, is present in Daniel Craig's interpretation. Look at Skyfall - the way he uses Severine to get to Silva and then merely comments about a "terrible waste of Scotch" when Silva executes her. Or the way he dumps the body of Mathis in a skip in QoS, not forgetting to remove his wallet first - "He won't need it."

Dalton was unlucky in following the light hearted period of Moore - was the audience quite ready for a hard edged Bond yet, even if critics were? Unlucky in playing a "girl in every port" agent in the era of AIDS - so, little or no womanising beyond one leading lady. An opportunity to re-vamp more than just the way Bond was played was missed - we had Dalton pulling Bond one way with a production team still used to the gags & gadgets approach. And of course unlucky in being around for most of the six year production hiatus. A pity. I thought he was a darned good Bond.

But a Bond which reflected the man in the books might, I think, combine Connery's animal magnetism and dry humour, Dalton's looks and depth of character, and Craig's attitude, toughness and "borderline psychopath" moments. It would be asking a lot of a future actor to mix all that. But, you never know!

#403 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

Much gets said about Timothy Dalton being the closest to the books, which I entirely disagree with. However, Fleming did apparently often describe his creation as a "cardboard dummy". Not sure how much of a compliment it is, or what it says about Dalton's performances in the role, to say that Dalton captured the spirit of the book Bond.

And yes, I know that Fleming's comments about his creation were long before Dalton ever got the part. Not unless we've got some extreme revisionists who believe that Dalton was first approached for CR'54 and DN!

The award-winning film critic Jay Scott - who was Canada's most famous and influential film critic and I believe was sometimes called Canada's Pauline Kael - said this about Dalton:

"The new Bond has been widely described in feature stories as a throwback to the Ian Fleming original (studying the Fleming novels, Dalton was pleased to discover that Bond was a human being, he says), and that may be true, if the Fleming original lacked charm, sex appeal and wit. Timothy Dalton's Bond is a serious bloke who swallows his words and approaches his job with responsibility and humanity, and eschews promiscuity – Dirtless Harry. You get the feeling that on his off nights, he might curl up with the Reader's Digest and catch an episode of Moonlighting – he'd try to memorize the jokes – before nodding off under the influence of Ovaltine. The British reviews of The Living Daylights have been laudatory, perhaps because this Bond is the most British of all, if British is to be understood as a synonym for reserved."

Exactly my own feelings!

#404 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

I rate both films pretty highly.  The Living Daylights is the more audience friendly film and I would recommend that to anyone.  Licence to Kill to me has greater impact but I would only recommend it to those who like harder edged films.

#405 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:44 PM

TLD.

#406 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

I'll agree with you all about Licence to Kill having the better Bond girls.

Me too, Tim was a lucky guy...

Edited by MISALA1994, 01 December 2016 - 08:40 PM.

#407 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:33 AM

If we could only marry the two films together, there would be something really great there. 

Though, If I had to pick one, I'd go with The Living DaylightsSome areas of License To Kill are spread too thick with American made-for-television cheese. Robert Davi and Benicio del Toro were a great duo of baddies.

#408 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:04 AM

If we could only marry the two films together, there would be something really great there. 

Though, If I had to pick one, I'd go with The Living DaylightsSome areas of License To Kill are spread too thick with American made-for-television cheese. Robert Davi and Benicio del Toro were a great duo of baddies.

In retrospect if Dalton was only going to make 2 Bond films then he appeared in 2 that complemented each other very well. Whatever falls short in one is usually corrected in the other so the two of them make a great Bond film collectively. I prefer TLD myself but LTK does have the stronger villains.

#409 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

They do compliment each other very well, and I don't think the tonal change is completely out of left field. Dalton's Bond in TLD is very caring and loyal. He develops real feelings for Kara over the course of the film. It's more deep and meaningful. And even though he has a reputation for being professionally efficient - the interrogation of Pushkin, anyone?, he actually smiles a lot and has a good old time at the amusement park.

This is a man who develops relationships. So his reaction to the violation of Felix and his wife is totally believable to me. He knew the guy for a long time, not just a matter of days like Kara, so he really took what happened to heart. Which makes the villain choice of Sanchez so appropriate as well, given how much he also values loyalty. Sanchez demands loyalty of others, whereas Bond demonstrates loyalty to others.