51 replies to this topic

#1 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:37 PM

Thanks to Qwerty & JohnBoy: From CBn's Main Page...

[center]Posted Image
"Young Bond

#2 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:01 PM

Pure dumbluck that it was found. :)

Listened to the audio snippet that they had. Can't say that fishing is really all that exciting to watch, nonetheless listen to being described. :)

#3 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:03 PM

Seems decently written.

#4 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:40 PM

I'm pretty impressed by the marketing so far. Someone seems to have actually put some thought in, which makes a change - the clock ticking down to the publication date in the form of a Bond-like bomb to defuse is fairly obvious stuff, but I'm amazed they've actually gone to all this effort. After years of neglect of the continuation novels, it comes as a bit of a shock to see something so well organised.

#5 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:51 PM

Poor old Benson, was there ever a website for his work?

Amazing that there is faith in this when one would/might have thought there was greater scope for success with the adult thrillers.

Still what has this web cost,

#6 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:48 PM

I wonder what's going to be on the site once they pass the "teaser" stage?

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:59 AM

Wow!

How nice to come home, log onto CBn, and be completely surprised by a main page story! And a SilverFin story at that! Great find Johnboy. :)

It's a good lookig site. Looks like this is the start of Young Bondmaina.

Here's another tease. I'm currently reading SilverFin...I'll post my review on the day of the UK release (March 3).

Don't ask me anything more. :)

#8 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 03:29 AM

Looks like this is the start of Young Bondmaina.

View Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

........may I ask if you like it so far?

Edited by Athena007, 28 January 2005 - 04:19 AM.

#9 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 03:34 AM

Yeah we need a young Bond tv show. It'll have a boy hood age Blofeld as his best buddy who eventually will turn to the dark side becuase Bond stole his girl away from him by using his superior good looks, sex appeal and sociall adeptness; Blofeld will naturally have to destroy humanity...unless they pay reparations.And it'll have "cool" music everyweek announced at the end of the show. "Tonights episode featured the music of CREED". :)

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:04 AM

Obviously in the absence of having read it, but when one reads "George Hellebore, Lord Randolph Hellebore" does anyone else get a "Malfoys" feeling? I may turn out to be entirely wrong in that respect. But I can't help me feelings, I can't I tells yer.

#11 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:00 PM

Well, this looks like it's going to be a fairly pedestrian affair. This Randolph Hellebore smacks of a cross between a John Gardner villain and Mike Myers' Dr. Evil, in other words, rather lame.

#12 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

Well, this looks like it's going to be a fairly pedestrian affair.  This Randolph Hellebore smacks of a cross between a John Gardner villain and Mike Myers' Dr. Evil, in other words, rather lame.

View Post

I was half-heartedly ready to accept this series for what it was until going to that site.

As soon as I read the Hellebores description it reminded me of Draco and Lucius Mallfoy (spelling) of the Harry Potter series as Jim said. But in looking at it further, this whole things sounds like Harry Potter - an orphan with special talents goes to a prestigious private school where he runs afoul of a rich jerk and his rude dad, and becomes friends with a lanky boy (don't know if he has red hair but his name is Red, close enough) and a spirited girl. They then go on adventures where his talents will be tested.

Will it be long before Bond finds out one of the villains is responsible for causing his parents' climbing accident and his influence will haunt Bond in future books? All we need is a whomping willow and we're all set.

#13 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:17 PM

A few years from now, E will do another one of those top 100 what were they thinking specials. Young Bond will be on there near the top of the list.

#14 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:30 PM

Obviously in the absence of having read it, but when one reads "George Hellebore, Lord Randolph Hellebore" does anyone else get a "Malfoys" feeling?

View Post

Oh, absolutely. But perhaps it is also because you could draw an Eton - Hogwarts parallel. :)

#15 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:44 PM

I'd be interested to know what an American and an Indian were doing at Eton in the mid-30s.

#16 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:50 PM

I'd be interested to know what an American and an Indian were doing at Eton in the mid-30s.

View Post

Whereas Fleming's villains with giant squid and mountaintop lairs were perfectly realistic?

So what if it turns out to be a bit derivative? The concept already is (hallo Alex Rider) and heaven knows the film James Bond isn't exactly the only action hero out there- all it needs is a bit of style and a fun adventure plot, together with decent writing (which it seems to have judging by the extract- improvement on Benson, anyway) and that's all you need isn't it?

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:01 PM

It's a good lookig site. Looks like this is the start of Young Bondmaina.

View Post

Quite so! Glad to see them really getting publicity out for this.

#18 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:02 PM

View Post

Fairly common to have them there - sons of the wealthy, sons of princes etc.

Unless he's a Red Indian [am I allowed to say that any more?]. Significantly less likely.

#19 Loyal Terrior

Loyal Terrior

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:52 PM

This is very cool! Nice find Johnboy007. I'll buy the book.

#20 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:31 PM

View Post

Fairly common to have them there - sons of the wealthy, sons of princes etc.

Unless he's a Red Indian [am I allowed to say that any more?]. Significantly less likely.

View Post

Good point now you mention it, Jim. Doesn't pretty much every drama set in an English public school feature at least one Indian boy prince?

#21 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:38 AM

Personally, this piece about teeming eels and an injured finger seems a bit repellent to me. Besides, I'd really like to know who designed this book cover? Does this person realise that this 'thing' resembles some strange hybrid between a decapitated spermatozoon and a tapeworm! Sorry for being too explicit. I doubt I'm gonna buy this book.

Edited by Grubozaboyschikov, 29 January 2005 - 09:41 AM.

#22 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:36 AM

What do you mean by 'repellant'? Is the subject matter too strong for you? What?

I hate the fact that so many of you that have already decided to hate this- you're James Bond fans but you can't even take one little change to your character? You cry out for more Bond books and demand them to be bestsellers (usually trotting out the 'warm blooded hetreosexuals' line), but you want one written in crayon by that Benson scribbler more than one which actually stands a chance of being successful written by a proven thriller writer?
Yes, it may turn out to be rubbish, but why don't you actually try the thing before you moan about it? For god's sake- the guy above is actually judging this book by its cover. You lot don't deserve new Bond.

#23 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:40 AM

I mean IMHO the excerpt is not that presentable. As well as the design of the cover.

#24 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:53 PM

What do you mean by 'repellant'? Is the subject matter too strong for you? What?

I hate the fact that so many of you that have already decided to hate this- you're James Bond fans but you can't even take one little change to your character? You cry out for more Bond books and demand them to be bestsellers (usually trotting out the 'warm blooded hetreosexuals' line), but you want one written in crayon by that Benson scribbler more than one which actually stands a chance of being successful written by a proven thriller writer?
Yes, it may turn out to be rubbish, but why don't you actually try the thing before you moan about it? For god's sake- the guy above is actually judging this book by its cover. You lot don't deserve new Bond.

View Post

Always a hoot to be criticized for one's criticism.

#25 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:30 PM

View Post

Absolutely. I am quite happy to give the thing a try, PARTICULARLY after Benson.

However, my first concern based upon what's been released (other than the fact that James Bond seems to go fishing - gee wisz, golly gosh!) is that the quote from the book on the website say "James did this", "James said that".

I would have prefered even from a teen (and one who would be fighting in WW2 only a few short years later) a darker, more mysterious "Bond said..."Bond did...".

#26 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:42 PM

Always a hoot to be criticized for one's criticism.

View Post

I think any criticism of something you haven't actually seen or had any experience of is a very valid thing to criticise, don't you?

What are you actually judging Silverfin on? An extract of some fishing (because there's never been a detailed description of a leisure activity in a Bond novel before, has there?) a vague description of the concept and a book cover. Is that really enough to damn or praise it?

#27 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:45 PM

I mean IMHO the excerpt is not that presentable. As well as the design of the cover.

View Post

An excerpt isn't 'presentable'? What does that mean? It doesn't look good enough? Or do you mean it isn't finished yet? What definition of the word 'presentable' are you using? If you're abusing his grip of the english language I think you'd better look in your own back yard first.

#28 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:56 PM

Hey, marktmurphy. I agree with some of your points, but why not try and pull back a bit from the overly confrontational approach? I'd like people to still be around CBn when SilverFin comes out. Then we can direct our "passion" (negative or positive) at the book instead of each other. :)

(And I'm sorry if this is overly confrontational. I just seem to be weirdly sensitive to this sort of thing today. Could be just me...)

#29 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:51 AM

A few years from now, E will do another one of those top 100 what were they thinking specials.  Young Bond will be on there near the top of the list.

View Post

You really think that Silverfin will make that much of a ripple hrabb?

#30 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:59 AM

I'm really excited for this book! It's going to be awesome! :)

*ducks*