The CBn Sherlockians

1182 replies to this topic

#241 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:19 AM

I don't know how far behind we are here in getting CSI (Vegas), but the latest ep was about a trio of Sherlockians, and "Sherlock" is murdered. Anyone catch it?

#242 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:39 AM

Came across this...

Keeping Secrets: A Speculative History of the Modern British Secret Service

#243 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:55 PM

Yay! Holmes is back.

http://www.reuters.c...storyID=8665093

#244 TortillaFactory

TortillaFactory

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:04 PM

Ah, Holmes...my first literary love. I met him when I was twelve and my life was never the same.

For me, Jeremy Brett is the definitive Holmes, and ol' what's-his-nose from Shadowlands is the perfect Watson. The best story, for my money, is The Adventure of Abbey Grange. I think it was an adventure, anyway...not a case...it's been a long time.

I'm in a minority here, probably, but I absolutely despise Laurie R. King's books and the way in which they characterize Holmes...not to mention the BLATANT Mary Sue who stars in them. Ugh. Gag me with a rake.

#245 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:30 PM

Its good to have another CBn Sherlockian...and its great to hear that Holmes is back!

#246 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:38 PM

I don't know how far behind we are here in getting CSI (Vegas), but the latest ep was about a trio of Sherlockians, and "Sherlock" is murdered. Anyone catch it?

View Post

I've set my TiVo to record this twice and twice it has not recorded. :)

A mystery indeed...

#247 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:31 AM

I've set my TiVo to record this twice and twice it has not recorded. :)

A mystery indeed...

View Post

Wierd....and there was no recording conflict?...I had some TiVo issue last night. It would not let me set to record Michael Apteds THUNDERHEART. So, I restarted the TiVo and then have not had any problems. It was wierd though.

#248 JKD68

JKD68

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:07 PM

Did anyone(DLibrasnow) ever see the episode of "Sliders" where John Ryes-Davies portrays a Holmes-like detective in a Victorian setting? Very interesting I thought.

#249 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:11 AM

I just heard about this book on NPR. Has anyone read this? A Sherlockian SilverFin? I think I might give this a read.

The Childhood of Sherlock Holmes

Posted Image

The same NPR segment also highly recommended this book:

A Slight Trick of the Mind

#250 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:21 PM

Didn't we already have a Sherlock Holmes Silverfin with Young Sherlock Holmes?

#251 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:48 PM

Didn't we already have a Sherlock Holmes Silverfin with Young Sherlock Holmes?

View Post

I mean a good one. I think Young Sherlock Holmes was the equivalent of James Bond, Jr. :)

I also wanted to ask th CBn Sherlockians if there is a webiste out there that is the CBN of Sherlock Holmes. I've found some good sites, but not really an up-to-the-minute Holmes news site that keeps track of all the new productions, books, etc.

#252 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:54 PM

Well Bondian asked me if I would be interested in spearheading a Sherlock Holmes site, but I didn't really see much interest from Sherlockians that I talked to so it never got off the ground. If any CBn Sherlockians are interested, let me know and maybe Ian would be up to looking into it again.

I'd love to see a site like CBn that caters to Sherlock Holmes. Right now the closest thing is "The Detectives," but thats got a more broad appeal.

#253 Methos

Methos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

Be alert my fellow Sherlockians!!!! :) There's a Basil Rathbone/Holmes marathon on tonight on Turner Classic Movies!!!! :) Sorry for the late notice, as it kicks off at 8pm EST. To those of you who catch this message, enjoy!!! :)

#254 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for the tip, Methos.

Also, that Rupert Everett Holmes film will be airing on PBS in October. Just saw a promo the other day.

#255 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:20 AM

Thanks Methos, I noticed that on my TiVo listing.

Also, Fox is releasing a Basil Rathbone movie on DVD called PRELUDE TO MURDER which the studio is claiming was Rathbone's swan song as Holmes, but the plot sounds very similar to DRESSED TO KILL (1946) which was Rathbone's last.

It's all very confusing so I shot off an email to my contact at Fox to come up with some answers. It's possible it is DRESSED TO KILL and that Fox has changed the name since it has a 1941 movie titled DRESSED TO KILL also coming out around the same time.

#256 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:22 AM

Thanks Methos, I noticed that on my TiVo listing.

Also, Fox is releasing a Basil Rathbone movie on DVD called PRELUDE TO MURDER which the studio is claiming was Rathbone's swan song as Holmes, but the plot sounds very similar to DRESSED TO KILL (1946) which was Rathbone's last.

It's all very confusing so I shot off an email to my contact at Fox to come up with some answers. It's possible it is DRESSED TO KILL and that Fox has changed the name since it has a 1941 movie titled DRESSED TO KILL also coming out around the same time.

View Post

Here you go, Dlibs. Looks like it is Dressed To Kill, only a colorized version.

http://www.amazon.co...il/-/B0009X75JC

#257 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:37 AM

Okay...thank zencat. The studio rep said they would send out a review copy and now I'm really curious to see how it looks in color. It's not the only Holmes movie that Fox is releasing that day, there is a spate of them but I don't have the press release in front of me to tell me what the other ones are.

#258 hartley_bond

hartley_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:53 AM

DVD Cover I made for a hypothetical Holmes show:

Posted Image

#259 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:22 AM

Just watched The Case of the Silk Stockings on PBS tonight and I thought it was pretty darn good. I really like how Rupert Everett played Holmes. I found it very courageous and interesting that he elected to play Holmes as more laconic and thoughtful than manic. Having finally been able to see some of the pre-Rathbone seminal Holmes' (Ellie Norwood, Arthur Wonter, Clive Brook) I realize that this is how Holmes was played for the first 30 years of his cinematic life. Rathbone seems to have introduced the more manic Holmes, which was then carried on by Peter Cushing and brought to perfection, IMO, by Jeremy Brett. Almost all the actors who have played Holmes post Rathbone have affected this manic style. Yet here Everett chucks this and goes back to the laconic, almost sleepy Holmes of the 20s and 30s. Very interesting choice.

Oh, and the music was excellent!

Is this the same producer who did that most recent version of The Hound of the Baskervilles (same Watson)?

#260 TortillaFactory

TortillaFactory

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:11 PM

Re: the Rupert Everett show - I taped it and haven't had the chance to check it out yet - my dad, who's another hardcore Sherlockian, informed me that they took way, WAY too many liberties with the whole Holmes dynamic, but that it was nevertheless enjoyable. Looking fwd to watching it tonight.

I loved Jeremy Brett's portrayal, of course, but Everett's the first one who's been the proper age for Holmes' early adventures. And he's got that sort of "oh, ho hum, normal guy, WAIT A SECOND...WEIRD" appearance that works very well for Holmes.

#261 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:37 PM

Actually, this Everett film is not an early adventure but a very late one. Watson is engaged and there's lot of talk about the old days, etc. That's one thing I didn't like about Everett was his age. Too young and too good looking to be Holmes at this time in his life, IMO. But I got over it.

BTW, I wonder if the media and Sherlockians lost their nut in '76 when Nicole Williamson was cast as Holmes in The Seven Per Cent Solution because, you know, HE'S BLONDE!!! :) :)

#262 Streetworker

Streetworker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:44 PM

Hey, I don't see this as completely OT. Like Bond, Sherlock Holmes is an icon of Britain and British literature who (whom?)

View Post

Definitely "whom"... :)

Best has to be Brett by a long way. But Robert Stephens was good in Billy Wilder's "The Secret Life..." and Christopher Plummer was good in the underrated "Murder By Decree".

#263 CharlieBind

CharlieBind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:37 PM

Top Five Sherlock's

01. Clive Merrison
02. Peter Cushing
03. Basil Rathbone
04. Robert Stephens
05. Christopher Plummer

Top Five Watson's

01. Andre Morell
02. James Mason
03. Nigel Bruce
04. Michael Williams
05. E. Hardwicke

Top Five movies

01. THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
02. THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES 1959
03. THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
04. MURDER BY DECREE 1979
05. THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES 1939

#264 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:18 AM

View Post

It was an okay episode

"Well Grissom, aren't you going to say 'The game is afoot!'
-I didn't know you were an Arthur Conan Doyle fan, Greg!
-I'm not, I saw a Sherlock Holmes movie once, by mistake"

I read Hound of the Baskervilles in 7th grade, and part of A Study in Scarlet. School reading got in the way of me reading more the stories. Fortunately, I picked up The Complete Volumes of Sherlock Holmes 1 and 2 today at Borders of $7.95 each. I look forward to diving back in Holmes. :tup:

#265 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:15 PM

Top Five Sherlock's

01. Clive Merrison
02. Peter Cushing
03. Basil Rathbone
04. Robert Stephens
05. Christopher Plummer

Top Five Watson's

01. Andre Morell
02. James Mason
03. Nigel Bruce
04. Michael Williams
05. E. Hardwicke

Top Five movies

01. THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
02. THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES 1959
03. THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
04. MURDER BY DECREE 1979
05. THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES 1939

View Post

Wow....we seem to have very similar tastes, except I think Rathbone is the very best of all the actors to play Sherlock Holmes. It comes from eagerly waiting for those movies to come on BBC2 every Friday evening after supper when I was young.

#266 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:18 AM

Sherlock Holmes Birthday

Friday Jan. 6

January 6th is Sherlock Holmes' birthday, be sure to raise a glass of your favourite beverage to toast him.

#267 Captain Grimes

Captain Grimes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

I really like how Rupert Everett played Holmes. I found it very courageous and interesting that he elected to play Holmes as more laconic and thoughtful than manic...Almost all the actors who have played Holmes post Rathbone have affected this manic style.

This is interesting. As a casual fan of the Holmes books who is almost totally unfamiliar with cinematic Sherlock, I was thought Everett was too manic in his portrayal. Mania is something I've never associated with Conan Doyle's Holmes.

Has my reading just been too scanty? The literary Holmes always struck me as quiet, aloof, and lethargic. Occasionally he had bursts of enthusiasm, especially in the heat of an investigation, but shouting down Mrs Hudson? Not something I would think him capable of.

What, then, is the source of this manic Holmes? Rathbone? Conan Doyle stories I've missed? The theory that Holmes was bipolar?

:tup:

#268 Q's step brother

Q's step brother

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:43 PM

http://www.imdb.com/...ath_key=0039017

have these Rathbone DVD's been 'colourised?' Has anyone seen them? Are they any good?

i can't imagine how Rathbone Holmes films would look like 'colourised'.

#269 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:34 PM

Personally I really hate this movie, but some people might like it.

I noticed in the slew of press releases sent out by Fox today that "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother" will be released on DVD April 4.

I TiVo'd this once and made it about 10 minutes in before I had to stop.

Q's step brother - I believe they have, but I have never seen them.

#270 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

I agree with you Dlib. That movie is pretty unwatchable.