1182 replies to this topic

#211 hartley_bond

hartley_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:19 PM

Hartley_bond, you might be interested in knowing there is a poll at the site: http://www.jamesbond...com/detectives/ that is seeking to determine the most popular Sherlock Holmes actor. Right now Basil Rathbone is in first place and Peter Cushing in second. Brett has no votes.

View Post

My top 2 Sherlocks haven't got one vote! Merrison and Brett are both bereft!

#212 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:16 PM

Hartley_bond, you might be interested in knowing there is a poll at the site: http://www.jamesbond...com/detectives/ that is seeking to determine the most popular Sherlock Holmes actor. Right now Basil Rathbone is in first place and Peter Cushing in second. Brett has no votes.

View Post

My top 2 Sherlocks haven't got one vote! Merrison and Brett are both bereft!

View Post

Thanks for pointing out the Merrison omission. He has now been added so feel free to vote for him.

#213 Sun Tzu

Sun Tzu

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:35 PM

Brett has no votes? Twaa? He was my favourite. Several years ago CBC (the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) needed filler for summer so every night they played one of the Sherlock Holmes productions with Brett and I watched faithfully every night.

BTW I'm new here, and I'm also a big Holmes fan. My favourite short story is The Dancing Men and my favourite novel is Hound Of The Baskervilles.

#214 hartley_bond

hartley_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 05:25 AM

I've always founf it interesting how popular Baskervilles is, as its the least Holmesian of the four novels. The same is true for Hercule Poirot and Orient Express.

#215 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:28 PM

Brett has no votes? Twaa? He was my favourite. Several years ago CBC (the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) needed filler for summer so every night they played one of the Sherlock Holmes productions with Brett and I watched faithfully every night.

View Post

Easy to correct that....just jump on over there and vote. If you are a Sherlock Holmes fan then the forum should be right up your alley. I'd like to start a Sherlock Holmes dedicated forum one day, but I'm not sure there would be much of an interest.

#216 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:33 PM

Incidently, The Sherlock Holmes Society of London is looking for a new ISP.

Until they get one all radio play downloads are suspended.

#217 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:29 PM

Here's one for the CBn Sherlockians today. :)

Posted Image

Gardner to Pen New Moriarty Novel
Plus, the Sherlock Holmes-James Bond Connection

But I forget who tipped us off to this book? (I was quite a while ago.) I wanted to put a thanks in there...I thought the tip was in this thread, but I couldn't find it. :)

#218 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:48 PM

Speaking of Holmes and Moriarity I just wanted to say that the Anno Dracula series of books, by Kim Newman, which take place from the turn of the century to the mid sixties are great fun. Of course they deal with Dracula's successful takeover of England but also include references to Holmes, James Bond and the Man from Uncle. It chronicles the adventures of Englands first secret agent, Charles Beauregard and his Emma Peel-like vampire side kick Genevieve Diedonne. In the third novel the mysterious villain with a white cat is thwarted with the help of another secret agent with a fondness for silver Aston Martin DB5's.

#219 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:06 AM

I have that third book, delfloria. Signed first edition, in fact. I consider that a little-known literary Bond cameo. :)

#220 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:21 PM

The DVD for A STUDY IN TERROR just shipped from Amazon UK. I'll test it on several US televisions and DVD players John. If it fails to work on any of them I'll let you know.

#221 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:33 PM

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking is out on region 2 dvd:
http://www10.cd-wow....&subcat=region2

-It's the recent BBC production starring Rupert Everett as Holmes.
Just ordered it from cd-wow. Has anybody seen it? Is it any good?

MM

#222 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:36 PM

I've seen it recommended for purchase on my Amazon UK homepage (probably based on all the Region 2 Holmes DVDs I have purchased) but I'm wary of getting a movie I have heard nothing about.

#223 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:26 PM

Actually now that I think about it, I think there was a thread about this movie when it was shown.

#224 hartley_bond

hartley_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:10 PM

I'll repost what I posted at the time:
I just recieved a VHS copy of this from an English friend of mine and my feelings are mixed. I was let down by Everrett's performance, which was far too low-key and rather boring. Hart's Watson is even better than in the Hound, adding an extra layer of warmth to make it an almost perfect portrayal in every way except for appearence. I liked that it was Watson who actually tracks down the killer at the end. Lestrade and Mrs. Hudson were both perfectly cast and this is the best written Lestrade I've seen, apart from in the Coules and Co. cannon. Like the recent Hound, this would've worked a lot better following an adaptation of The Sign of the Four. They kept the drug use fairly accurate this time, Holmes only resorting to it during the case when he's stumpted. I didn't dislike Watson's psychiatric fiancee as much as some other people here seem to have. This film shows potential for a possible series of pastiches or canonical adaptations, probably with a different Holmes, seeing as Everrett looks set to retire. Richard E Grant perhaps? Toby Stephens?

#225 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:07 AM

My DVD copy of A STUDY IN TERROR just arrived from Amazon UK (along with Silverfin, but thats only secondary). I have never seen this Holmes movie before so I have high hopes.

And yes it says on the packaging that it's Region 0. But its also in PAL.

#226 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

TV ALERT

The weekend of April 23 and 24promises to be a treat for US-based Sherlockians.

On the 23rd TCM will be showing:

THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES and
THE SEVEN-PERCENT SOLUTION.

Then on Sunday, April 24 the HALLMARK channel will be giving an encore showing of the recent Hallmark movie adaptation of
THE SIGN OF FOUR

#227 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:54 PM

But I forget who tipped us off to this book? (I was quite a while ago.) I wanted to put a thanks in there...I thought the tip was in this thread, but I couldn't find it.  :)

D and I were talking about it. I believe the thread had to do with Gardner's website.

#228 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:09 PM

[quote name='clinkeroo' date='14 April 2005 - 10:54'][quote name='zencat' date='22 March 2005 - 12:29']
But I forget who tipped us off to this book? (I was quite a while ago.) I wanted to put a thanks in there...I thought the tip was in this thread, but I couldn't find it.

#229 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:23 PM

DLibrasnow,

I seem to remember A Study in Terror was pretty creepy. :) :) There were lots of slow-motion tracking shots down foggy alleyways - very atmospheric. What did you think of the film?

#230 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:25 PM

I'll repost what I posted at the time:
I just recieved a VHS copy of this from an English friend of mine and my feelings are mixed. I was let down by Everrett's performance, which was far too low-key and rather boring. Hart's Watson is even better than in the Hound, adding an extra layer of warmth to make it an almost perfect portrayal in every way except for appearence. I liked that it was Watson who actually tracks down the killer at the end. Lestrade and Mrs. Hudson were both perfectly cast and this is the best written Lestrade I've seen, apart from in the Coules and Co. cannon. Like the recent Hound, this would've worked a lot better following an adaptation of The Sign of the Four. They kept the drug use fairly accurate this time, Holmes only resorting to it during the case when he's stumpted. I didn't dislike Watson's psychiatric fiancee as much as some other people here seem to have. This film shows potential for a possible series of pastiches or canonical adaptations, probably with a different Holmes, seeing as Everrett looks set to retire. Richard E Grant perhaps? Toby Stephens?

View Post

Thanks. I have now seen the film, and I share your feelings about Everrett. IMO he's also way too pretty for the part. I second your choice of Richard E Grant as Sherlock. He would be great!

MM

#231 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:53 PM

[quote name='Hitch' date='14 April 2005 - 12:23']DLibrasnow,

I seem to remember A Study in Terror was pretty creepy.

#232 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:10 PM

DLibrasnow,

I seem to remember A Study in Terror was pretty creepy.  :)  :)  There were lots of slow-motion tracking shots down foggy alleyways - very atmospheric. What did you think of the film?

View Post

Sounds more like MURDER BY DECREE to me.

MM

#233 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:15 PM

Well STUDY IN TERROR is better than MURDER BY DECREE as far as Holmes versus Jack the Ripper goes, but the DVD presentation is simply horrible - there are niches, tears and dirt everywhere in the print. Plus, its also in full-frame.

Still it was good to finally see it.

#234 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:57 PM

Martine Mystery,

Thanks, I did mean Murder By Decree. :)

#235 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

Oooops.

I made an error in my initial TV ALERT.

PRIVATE LIFE and THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION are both on the 24th and THE SIGN OF FOUR is on the 25th.

#236 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:27 PM

Sherlockians at CBn might be interested in a new book by Caleb Carr - The Italian Secretary: A Further Adventure by Sherlock Holmes. It's due next month.

American members in particular should enjoy Carr's previous novels, The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness, two page-turners drenched in gaslight, fog and dread. Heh. :)

#237 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:31 PM

I'm not familiar with his work.

Incidently....which Sherlock Holmes continuation authors do CBNers like?

#238 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:01 AM

Hey Darren!

I found a hack at videohelp.com and we just tried it out on our DVD player and, bingo!, we just turned our Region 1 player into a Region free player! I now have the Cushing Holmes DVDs to watch. :)

#239 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:20 AM

Excellent news John....

There is so much more selection in Region 2 for Sherlock Holmes and Roger Moore fans.

Let me know what you think of the Cushing BBC Holmes adventures! I for one really liked them.

#240 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:45 PM

I've submitted a new So You'd Like To... guide on Amazon at

http://www.amazon.co...0940418-2939169