30 replies to this topic

#31 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:18 AM

No I am not joking. FRWL is always been considered as the most realistic, the Bond film close to Fleming etc. However in todays world FRWL just seems like ultimate fantasy. In our 'new' world and especially in the new film sector, surfing, going to outer space, big explotions are all very usual things. But stealing the lector from the Russians? This is what I call fantasy.

I just tried to look at FRWL from another point of view  :)

I think YOLT's been brainwashed by the Soviets...(stealing from Russia is fantasy! We will win the Cold War! :) )

Seriously though, FRWL doesn't take place in our 'new' world. Intelligence isn't called what it is because of explosions and moonraker lasers. The plot of FRWL is hardly fantastic. SPECTRE offers something to Bond whom they wish to capture, and creates a defector to seduce and trick him, much like British intelligence dumped a body on a beach in France in WW2 laden with fake credentials and letters home to convince them that the misleading intelligence documents on his person were real. Romanova was the same concept, she seems genuine and brings a genuine lektor to lure Bond and MI6 into a trap.

Anyways, I still disagree. Espionage isn't walking around like Rambo in a tux. Now granted, someone launched an RPG at MI6's castle a few months ago. But I guess I missed that thing where a North Korean got gene therapy, posed as a British playboy and tried to blow up the South with his diamond powered laser satellite, was that on CNN recently? Yeah, that's not fantasy. :)

In my country in the 60s (Turkey) the Cold War was at its peak and entering the Soviet embassy and stealing their most important thing was just impossible. I have read so many articles about it. And I think it is fantasy. Fantasy is the thing which is to be made in hard conditions in my eyes.
Going to space is not a fantasy or surfing, I think. Because they are already done before.