30 replies to this topic

#1 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:50 PM

No I am not joking. FRWL is always been considered as the most realistic, the Bond film close to Fleming etc. However in todays world FRWL just seems like ultimate fantasy. In our 'new' world and especially in the new film sector, surfing, going to outer space, big explotions are all very usual things. But stealing the lector from the Russians? This is what I call fantasy.

I just tried to look at FRWL from another point of view :)

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:53 PM

Fantastic? Yes. When I first joined CBn in 2003, I hated From Russia With Love. Now I enjoy it. The most fantastic Bond film? No.

#3 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:55 PM

Fantastic? Yes. When I first joined CBn in 2003, I hated From Russia With Love. Now I enjoy it. The most fantastic Bond film? No.

I mean stealing the Lector. Its more fantastic than surfing on ice, or going outerspace.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:52 AM

See, Righty. You can change your opinion on a film. You'll be an NSNA fan in no time. :)

I also wasn't a big FRWL fan years ago, but over the last decade or so this film's stock has risen higher and higher. It's one of those films the cliche "They don't make them like that anymore" applies to.

You can have your Jaws and Oddjob henchmen. I still count Red Grant as the most frightening villain in the series.

#5 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 02:59 AM

No I am not joking. FRWL is always been considered as the most realistic, the Bond film close to Fleming etc. However in todays world FRWL just seems like ultimate fantasy. In our 'new' world and especially in the new film sector, surfing, going to outer space, big explotions are all very usual things. But stealing the lector from the Russians? This is what I call fantasy.

I agree YOLT. This is the is most fantastic. Realism should be the benefactor in the series, but I guess fantasy elements are the edge in the series, quite sadly. Bond films could never be as good as From Russia with Love.

"It's the biggest, it's the best! It's Bond and beyond!"

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:02 AM

See, Righty. You can change your opinion on a film. You'll be an NSNA fan in no time. :)

That's right! Never forgot Chris's original comments on From Russia With Love and then bam! "I like From Russia With Love!!"

#7 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 04:00 AM

FRWL is terrific from beginning to end. A true classic.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 04:02 AM

Hmm, perhaps fantasy with the grounds of realism.

#9 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 10:29 AM

I just tried to look at FRWL from another point of view  :)

I agree YOLT. This is the is most fantastic. Realism should be the benefactor in the series, but I guess fantasy elements are the edge in the series, quite sadly. Bond films could never be as good as From Russia with Love.

"It's the biggest, it's the best! It's Bond and beyond!"

Yes, I totally agree.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:17 PM

I wouldn't say From Russia With Love should have a tagline like "It's the biggest, it's the best! It's Bond and beyond!" It's not like the fantasy of The Spy Who Loved Me.

#11 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 04:11 PM

I also wasn't a big FRWL fan years ago, but over the last decade or so this film's stock has risen higher and higher. It's one of those films the cliche "They don't make them like that anymore" applies to.

You can have your Jaws and Oddjob henchmen. I still count Red Grant as the most frightening villain in the series.

I WILL NEVER LIKE Never Say Never Again!

#12 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 04:19 PM

The best? Yes. fantastic? No.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 04:20 PM

It seems fantastic in todays world when there are all these other fantastic elements everywhere. But it does not back in 1963 when there was not the amount of fantasy, especially space themed events there are in movies currently?

#14 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 06:24 PM

I've always seen FRWL as more along the lines of "Alfred Hitchcock on steroids". The MacGuffin, the updated version of the crop dusting scene, the train stuff, etc.

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 06:53 PM

I've always seen FRWL as more along the lines of "Alfred Hitchcock on steroids". The MacGuffin, the updated version of the crop dusting scene, the train stuff, etc.

Always found that interesting. While it was one of the best scenes to take a note from, it doesn't even compare to the original in North by Northwest.

#16 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 06:56 PM

Oh absolutely but it's still a cool scene.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 06:57 PM

Oh absolutely but it's still a cool scene.

Agreed, not something you'd ever see in a Bond film today, but it's low key and it works.

#18 MillesGloriosus

MillesGloriosus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 01:36 PM

From Russia With Love is arguably the best Bond Movie. It's certainly the most realistic of the series.

#19 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:58 PM

from russia with love is a bond that i never ever get tired of, it has all the great things about it that make it truly a james bond film

and i know a lot of young folk dont like it because of its slow pace, lack of exsplosions, shoot em up and all the things we have today but righty has shown that some of the young are coming around and taking to this film and i am glad of that

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:27 PM

and i know a lot of young folk dont like it because of its slow pace, lack of exsplosions, shoot em up and all the things we have today but righty has shown that some of the young are coming around and taking to this film and i am glad of that

Steven Jay Rubin in his Bond Encyclopedia points out that From Russia With Love is probably one film that today's younger audience wouldn't appreciate. That is most likely true for some occasional fans, but for many of the young Bond fans on here, like myself, it seems to be a favorite.

#21 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:08 PM

I've loved it since I first saw it when I was about ten or eleven.

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:33 PM

I didn't quite get it when I saw it years ago on TV, and I kept looking in the credits for the villain whose name I thought was SPECTRE.

#23 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:18 AM

I always liked the question mark next to Blofeld's name in the closing credits.

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:05 PM

I always liked the question mark next to Blofeld's name in the closing credits.

Exactly. I kept looking at that and wondering who or what was Blofeld. Didn't find out until the first time I saw You Only Live Twice. :)

#25 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:15 PM

I've always seen FRWL as more along the lines of "Alfred Hitchcock on steroids".  The MacGuffin, the updated version of the crop dusting scene, the train stuff, etc.

Always found that interesting. While it was one of the best scenes to take a note from, it doesn't even compare to the original in North by Northwest.

Never understood everyone's fascination with NbyNW ... I've watched it six or seven times over the last couple decades, and except for the superb score, it just doesn't ever really work for me. The crop dusting scene never seems cut right, with the plane crashing into the tanker just seeming like something from another movie.

I don't think Hitchcock could hold a candle to Orson Welles (I don't even think PSYCHO would exist w/o Welles' TOUCH OF EVIL to inspire Hitchcock), but I grant there are some terrific Hitchcock flicks out there (NOTORIOUS, SHADOW OF A DOUBT, REBECCA, and as I recall, SECRET AGENT and LADY VANISHES) ... even so, I'd take FRWL over NORTH anyday.

#26 Alex Zamudio

Alex Zamudio

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:40 PM

FRWL is my favourite 007 film, I find it superior to Goldfinger is every respect; with an interesting script, inspirated casting, beautiful cinematography, top notch direction, exciting action, exotic locales, Connery at his best and a really beautiful Bond girl.
It is a realistic film, but still it has the larger than life SPECTRE organization and its crew, I consider this film not only a 007 success, but also an amazing movie, regardless if you

#27 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:59 PM

I think YOLT's been brainwashed by the Soviets...(stealing from Russia is fantasy! We will win the Cold War! :) )

Seriously though, FRWL doesn't take place in our 'new' world. Intelligence isn't called what it is because of explosions and moonraker lasers. The plot of FRWL is hardly fantastic. SPECTRE offers something to Bond whom they wish to capture, and creates a defector to seduce and trick him, much like British intelligence dumped a body on a beach in France in WW2 laden with fake credentials and letters home to convince them that the misleading intelligence documents on his person were real. Romanova was the same concept, she seems genuine and brings a genuine lektor to lure Bond and MI6 into a trap.

Anyways, I still disagree. Espionage isn't walking around like Rambo in a tux. Now granted, someone launched an RPG at MI6's castle a few months ago. But I guess I missed that thing where a North Korean got gene therapy, posed as a British playboy and tried to blow up the South with his diamond powered laser satellite, was that on CNN recently? Yeah, that's not fantasy. :)

#28 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:44 PM

[quote name='trevanian' date='9 August 2004 - 15:15'] [quote name='Qwerty' date='6 August 2004 - 18:53'] [quote name='Genrewriter' date='6 August 2004 - 14:24'] I've always seen FRWL as more along the lines of "Alfred Hitchcock on steroids".

#29 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:22 AM

I like From Russia With Love but not as much as the other ones I have on my list in my sig. FRWL is down to earth Bond with great spy work and that is perfect. But it can get little boring sometimes.

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:23 AM

But I guess I missed that thing where a North Korean got gene therapy, posed as a British playboy and tried to blow up the South with his diamond powered laser satellite, was that on CNN recently? Yeah, that's not fantasy. :)

It's fantasy, but it lacks the style that Bond films with fantasy had before. The Spy Who Loved Me for example. Die Another Day needed more focus on the plot.