This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Adrian Paul - yes or no?

325 replies to this topic

Poll: Adrian Paul as James Bond?

Adrian Paul as James Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:43 PM

And I hear he's fluent in french and Italian...

Now that's certainly something in his favour (as is the martial arts ability). We're forever hearing and reading that Bond can speak X, Y and Z fluently - be nice to see him actually speaking a foreign language fluently onscreen as opposed to just uttering stuff like "Good evening" and "My office reserved a car" and even then stumbling over the words (not a problem confined to the Brosnan era, I hasten to add).

I'll admit that Paul has his pros as well as his cons, but for the moment I remain unenthusiastic.

#92 Lady M

Lady M

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:56 PM

Nice to meet you all....I guess you could tell I'm new here by the amount of posts.

It's a very intriguing site and seems like some really nice people....

I agree with you that Adrian Paul is the better choice not only budget wise but talent wise.

Although currently he is not as well known as maybe Hugh Jackman. In many Europian countries he is quite well known. In fact he filmed "Endgame" partly in Romania he just finished making a movie in Russia called "Moscow Heat" that should be coming out I believe this fall. The man as you said prevously filmed most of his productions of "Highlander" in Canada, and in France, but also in Scotland as well.

He is a very versatile actor being fluent in three languages....French, Italian, and Spanish. Not to mention he has an extreme talent in the martial arts field, and a very appealing British accent.

And as someone else said he will be very appealing to the ladies, he was voted sexiest action star in 2001

Best Regards,

Lady M

#93 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:02 PM

Nice to meet you all....I guess you could tell I'm new here by the amount of posts.

It's a very intriguing site and seems like some really nice people....

I agree with you that Adrian Paul is the better choice not only budget wise but talent wise. 

Although currently he is not as well known as maybe Hugh Jackman.  In many  Europian countries he is quite well known.  In fact he filmed "Endgame" partly in Romania he just finished making a movie in Russia called "Moscow Heat" that should be coming out I believe this fall.  The man as you said prevously filmed most of his productions of "Highlander" in Canada, and in France, but also in Scotland as well. 

He is a very versatile actor being fluent in three languages....French, Italian, and Spanish.  Not to mention he has an extreme talent in the martial arts field, and a very appealing British accent.

And as someone else said he will be very appealing to the ladies, he was voted sexiest action star in 2001

Best Regards,

Lady M

welcome to CBn Lady M! :) :) hope you enjoy here , we're glad to have one more Bond girl on board! :) :)

Indeed Adrian Paul seems to be a versatile actor , with many talents as an actor..
He did a fine job with Highlander series, that was very popular in our country.
Posted Image

#94 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:03 PM

A big yes!!!

This man IMHO would make the best Bond since Connery

:) Posted Image

He has as the quote goes "All the right stuff"

He has a huge following in Europe not to mention if he didn't have enough following I don't believe he could have even touched the top in Parade Magazine!

Welcome to CBn, Lady M. :) Actually, I quite like this pic you put up: he looks as though he could pull off Bond's trademark arrogance quite well; yet I really do wonder whether a Bond with olive skin would be acceptable. I gather Paul's half-English, half-Italian, but then again the literary Bond's half-English, half-Swiss (or is it half-Scottish, half-French? Something like that, anyway). Put bluntly, I think Paul looks too ethnic, and not enough like the white-as-a-sheet limey the cinematic 007 has always been.

And Xen, I see a lot of parallels between Brosnan and Paul. Perhaps Paul really is "the one". :)

I must say, though, I'd find it.... amusing if he were cast. To think he could just slip in under our collective radar after three years of discussing mostly Jackman, Owen, Bale and Butler. Oops! :)

#95 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:07 PM

Always been in my top five, I wouldn't mind at all, very reminiscent of Connery.

#96 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:17 PM

Absolutely YES! YES! YES

IMO he looks like a young Sean Connery and for me he is far from all the others the best Bond since... haaa....a long time.

I absolutely agree with lady M.
My best choice since a few years!!

#97 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:18 PM

He reminds me very of Sean Connery , though I don't know If that's a good thing or not for him..?! :) :)

CLICK HERE to see picture

#98 Lady M

Lady M

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:27 PM

A big yes!!!

This man IMHO would make the best Bond since Connery

:) Posted Image

He has as the quote goes "All the right stuff"

He has a huge following in Europe not to mention if he didn't have enough following I don't believe he could have even touched the top in Parade Magazine!

Welcome to CBn, Lady M. :) Actually, I quite like this pic you put up: he looks as though he could pull off Bond's trademark arrogance quite well; yet I really do wonder whether a Bond with olive skin would be acceptable. I gather Paul's half-English, half-Italian, but then again the literary Bond's half-English, half-Swiss (or is it half-Scottish, half-French? Something like that, anyway). Put bluntly, I think Paul looks too ethnic, and not enough like the white-as-a-sheet limey the cinematic 007 has always been.

And Xen, I see a lot of parallels between Brosnan and Paul. Perhaps Paul really is "the one". :)

I must say, though, I'd find it.... amusing if he were cast. To think he could just slip in under our collective radar after three years of discussing mostly Jackman, Owen, Bale and Butler. Oops! :)

Loomis thanks for the "Welcome"

I agree to an extent he may be a little darker but look at Connery as Bond he was always well tanned and olive complected not to mention I think several others maybe not quite be quite as dark as Paul and Connery, but I don't think that should be a deterant if he fits all the other fundamental criteria which I think he more than does. All I ask is just don't give the man a shove because of the skin color....I think he could still pull off the part beautifully.

Take Care,

LM

#99 Jmart007

Jmart007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:31 PM

If this was the only choice EON had in order to keep the series going because all of the others have said no, then I say Yes. However since I don't think this will happen, I say NO. Also, how old is he? Somewhere I heard he was 45, is that true? I thought they were trying to go younger than that. :)

Edited by Jmart007, 28 June 2004 - 10:33 PM.

#100 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:34 PM

He knows well the Vodka Martini's ! :) ah ah ah
But I think he fits perfectly the role!

Posted Image

#101 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:38 PM

I agree to an extent he may be a little darker but look at Connery as Bond he was always well tanned and olive complected not to mention I think several others maybe not quite be quite as dark as Paul and Connery, but I don't think that should be a deterant if he fits all the other fundamental criteria which I think he more than does.  All I ask is just don't give the man a shove because of the skin color....I think he could still pull off the part beautifully.

To be honest, Paul's skin tone is probably the number one thing I have against him.

Nothing to do with racism. I mean, I'm a British subject myself, born and raised in the UK, but my own skin tone is pretty much identical to Paul's, thanks to various, uh, international adventures my ancestors had. And because I don't look like your typical "white Brit" (I've been taken for everything from French to Turkish in my own country), I wouldn't consider myself a suitable Bond candidate (if I were an actor, that is). For me, Paul doesn't appear to fit the image of 007 from an ethnic point of view, in pretty much the same way as, say, Colin Salmon doesn't.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, though. I've never thought Connery particularly dark, although I guess Lazenby has a similar olive complexion to Paul's. And Brosnan seems to have a nice tan (all that Malibu sunshine, no doubt). But Paul's Mediterranean face just isn't Bondian, as far as I'm concerned.

#102 Lady M

Lady M

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:41 PM

If this was the only choice EON had in order to keep the series going because all of the others have said no, then I say Yes. However since I don't think this will happen, I say NO. Also, how old is he? Somewhere I heard he was 45, is that true? I thought they were trying to go younger than that. :)

Jmart007.....

I could totally understand your concerns if the man looked 45 or acted the age but neither fit this man, in fact he was out playing Soccer yesterday in a celebrity match-up not that I advocate that, but hey if the man is fit enough to still play soccer and look good at in those shorts.....LOL :)

#103 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:42 PM

A BIG boisterous "NO!" from me!

#104 Lady M

Lady M

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:49 PM

Sorry Loomis didn't mean to even insenuate you were racist never crossed my mind.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that it yours. Maybe as you see the actor more you might change your mind who knows, maybe not.

It would be a dull and boring world if everyone felt the same right? :)

LM

#105 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:50 PM

Sorry Loomis didn't mean to even insenuate you were racist never crossed my mind.

Don't worry, I never even thought you were implying that - but I did want to make the point in case anyone thought I was being a "Little Englander". :)

#106 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:50 PM

It would be a dull and boring world if everyone felt the same right? :)

LM

yes the discussions make the things alive! :)

#107 Lady M

Lady M

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:01 PM

It's been fun talking to everyone, and so nice to meet you again. Thank you for the warm welcome. I must get back to real life....everyone take care and see you all later.....

(((((hugs)))))

LM

#108 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:59 PM

I have to agree on the ethnicity remarks. I also think he's too much of a "B-Movie" or TV actor. Highlander is right up there with Silk Stalkings, Renegade, and the afforementioned Bruce Campbell's multiple series.

#109 Lady M

Lady M

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:21 AM

Hello Glor009....

Nice to meet you, just wondering if you could explain something to me really fast since this is my first day on the board are the commanders the moderators or how does the ranking work?

Lady M

#110 Pal

Pal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:21 AM

I have a picture of both Paul and Connery beside eachother. Compare their looks to see how much the really do look alike. At one point, I thought he was Connery's son just based on his looks.

#111 Pal

Pal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:32 AM

I'm sorry, my attachment didn't work. I'll try again. Nope, didnt work.

#112 Lady M

Lady M

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:37 AM

Pal....here is a young Sean Connery Mr. Universe pic.....he is the one in the middle he does look a lot like Adrian Paul

Posted Image

#113 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:42 AM

AP being half Italian [his mother] should be no problem. After all, Fleming's 007 had a Swiss mother. AP is very British, and he considers himself to be "British".

I hope he gets the job.

4A

#114 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:47 AM

A huge and resounding YES!

BTW, the Higlander series was filmed in Vancouver and Paris. There is a European version of the series, and a U.S. version which had some of the nudity truncated. I of course prefer the European version.

4A

#115 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:52 AM

Yes, no...how about WHO!?

#116 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:54 AM

Yes

Tall, looks the park, English, born in London, highly fluent in Italian and something else, loads of sword fighting, combat fighting which would make him great in fights, and very English and realistic, he would do a good job.

#117 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:01 AM

Pal....here is a young Sean Connery Mr. Universe pic.....he is the one in the middle he does look a lot like Adrian Paul

Posted Image

Looks like me when I was twelve.

#118 Lady M

Lady M

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:07 AM

LOL.... you were quite some twelve year old Mattbowyer

#119 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:39 AM

No.

Bit unfair if they're booting Brosnan because of his age to hire a guy who's only six years younger than him. There are better candidates around.

#120 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:39 AM

No. I challenge all his supporters to rent Highlander:Endgame. It's awful and so is the star. Adrian Paul isn't even a primetime TV star let alone movie star. He is too old now. The next Bond should be 35-40, not 46.

NIET!!!!!! :)