366 replies to this topic

#1 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:24 PM

As a response to the infamous Moomoo, I wrote a post in another thread concerning the inside truth for the finalists to be the next James Bond. I was going to leave it at that, but I decided I might as well let everyone else in on it or at it--depending on your preference! I know there will be disbelievers and scoffers and I can't blame them(if I read a claim on the internet I would be skeptical even if it was the truth). You can believe it false, true or the more subtle minds may believe it a satire on Moomoos proclaimations of certainty. It is true. Make up your own minds. The truth is not out there, it is right here! The truth is easy to hide with it being surrounded by the dross that surrounds us all. Like Moomoo's rantings! Remember you heard it first here on June 1, 2004. Enough of my introduction, i'll repeat the post verbatim.

"Moomoo I have read your claims with interest for some time considering I have an inside source at MGM such as you claim you do. Until now I haven't had permission to divulge anything.

I could make a bigger deal with this and make a new thread, but i'll just throw this out and whoever sees it, sees it. Whoever does will get the facts beneath the rumors.

Your information and claims are partially true which leads me to believe you may have an inside source...maybe.

This will be the only information I am allowed to tell until the official announcement is given for the next James Bond. Moomoo it is true Hugh Jackman is under consideration to be Bond, but he is only one of five finalists. At an earlier time it looked like he had it close to being wrapped up, but for whatever reason now others are in the mix. So your information is dated and incomplete.

THE FIVE FINALISTS TO BE THE NEXT JAMES BOND are Hugh Jackman, Ioan Gruffudd, Adrian Paul, Colin Firth and Clive Owen. The ONLY CAVEAT is that there is at least a modest chance PIERCE BROSNAN may come back. One of these six men will be the next James Bond. That much is settled.

As Pierce has mentioned in the press, things have been in a flux and what direction the series is going towards has been in debate. Things are being sorted out by the players involved and a decision should be coming soon regardless of what Sony does.

With Pierce the issue is not age, but money and creative control. Since age is not the issue that is one of the reasons the finalists vary in age from the late 20's to the mid 40's. The key for them is to find the right Bond regardless of age. Now they have to decide who fits best, how contract talks may go and who can carry on the box office success.

So one of those six actors will be officially announced as the next James Bond--Jackman, Owen, Firth, Gruffudd, Paul and Brosnan."

Edited by Seannery, 01 June 2004 - 08:21 PM.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:39 PM

Interesting...

#3 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:41 PM

Some sources are reliable, some aren't. Some provide red herrings to hide the truth. How can we know which is which? All we can do is continue to speculate!

#4 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:45 PM

You're right, most people are skeptical of all the internet rumours. However I don't think that you are any different to those other people. Everybody claims to have an inside source and everybody has a different version of the events.

What is certain is that no-one other than Wilson, Broccoli and perhaps P&W know what is happening and I believe it should be left at that. Day after day there are countless threads and posts on who will be the next James Bond but none of them clear the picture or answer the question that has been set out in the title. You all want to be able answer the question but you cannot.

The only truth here is that none of you know what is happening behind the negotiation room door and I find it irksome that there is no 'ignore topic' option on the CBn forums. Claim that you have an inside source if it makes you feel any better but unless they're called Barbara or Michael I choose not to believe a word of it.

All the actors listed have remained tight-lipped or confused as to what their situation is regarding James Bond. Whether this is because they're under oath not to speak about their rumoured dealings or if they have genuinely not been asked to try for the part is anybodies guess and open to whatever interpretation the rumour-mills want to stick on it.

As I said before, claiming that the news comes from an inside source means nothing unless that source is the producers which is highly unlikey and so I say to everyone who is tempted to post 'inside gossip':

"Stop it. Go and read a book whilst we wait for Mike and Babs news."

#5 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:04 PM

Everybody seems to have an inside source at MGM... If all this is true, why don't you ask him when all this will be resolved? I'm getiing tired of waiting... I'm getting tired of rumors :)

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:25 PM

THE FIVE FINALISTS TO BE THE NEXT JAMES BOND are Hugh Jackman, Ioan Gruffudd, Adrian Paul, Colin Firth and Clive Owen. The ONLY CAVEAT is that there is at least a modest chance PIERCE BROSNAN may come back. One of these six men will be the next James Bond. That much is settled.

I find it very hard to believe that Adrian Paul is under serious consideration. In years gone by, perhaps. But not now.

#7 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:29 PM

I knew I would get slammed in some quarters, but what I say is true. I would recommend to read my original post, it was written very carefully to explain what is going on. Again I can't blame those who scoff--all I can say remember what I wrote when the official announcement comes. Don't kill the messenger--though i'm a big boy, I can take the hits!

With regards to the timing of the official announcement unlike what Moomoo says the final decision has not been made yet. So it is a little up in the air now, but the thinking is it should be coming soon--depending on how quickly everything jells from a few weeks to maybe a few months at most. Then we will all know and then then all the annoyance, uncertainty and rumors will end!

#8 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:32 PM

Not taking this serious at all (no offense intended, Seannery).

The only "inside information" I'm going to take as the plain truth on this subject is the one we'll all get from a certain press conference that will be held hopefully in the near future and that has Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson on the podium... plus the man who'll be announced to play the role of James Bond in the 21st EON Bond movie.

But tired of the rumours? No way. This is a situation we don't have to often, and in fact we're at a point that we can say: we never had it like this before. And after the whole mystery has been solved on th above mentioned occasion, it will take along time until we have it again. I intend to enjoy the whole situation while it lasts (and it is highly enjoyable, if you're not to passionate, in one way or the other, about any of the actors involved). How would Mr. Axworthy put it? "Watch and learn, boys. Watch and learn."

#9 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:40 PM

Well Loomis as I mentioned in my post, age is not the big issue and that is why they have a range of candidates concerning age--they want the best fit. Paul and Firth are extremely close to the same age.

Stromberg thank you for the agreeable disagreement and I concur that for me the speculation and passion is a enoyable thing--so enjoy it while it lasts, it will soon be over!

#10 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:44 PM

...it will soon be over!

Can't wait 'til it's over :)

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:48 PM

Well Loomis as I mentioned in my post, age is not the big issue and that is why they have a range of candidates concerning age--they want the best fit.  Paul and Firth are extremely close to the same age.

Hmmm.... yes, but apart from the matter of his age (he's 45 right now), Paul has zero profile, zero bankability. However, I appreciate that Brosnan's profile and bankability weren't much to brag about pre-GOLDENEYE. Still, Brosnan did at least look the part for James Bond - I don't feel the same is true of Paul, although I'm aware that he's long had a large fan following as a potential 007. Now, I've not seen many photos of Paul, but I've just taken a look at his gallery on the IMDb. Check out the one at http://www.imdb.com/.../... Adrian (I) - I don't know whether it's a recent pic, or whether it's representative of how he usually looks, but to me he looks much more like a potential Franz Sanchez than a potential Bond. Too dark (both in terms of skin tone and in terms of disposition), too old-looking, not especially handsome or attractive.

On balance, I'd guess that Paul is not in the frame for Bond. The Powers That Be can do better. They can afford better. And I'm sure they'll look for better.

#12 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:03 PM

Yes Loomis we will have to agree to disagree on Paul, I think that depending on your perspective he is clearly Bond-like as the other finalists. We can agree the picture isn't his best, but to me not nearly as bad as you think--especially considering the unflatteringly harsh outdoor lighting and I would say a below average lighting director! Also you can't judge his facial expression from one photo where he's doing i'm the pissed off guy face! I've seen much better pictures and some of those of recent vintage. I can see all five finalists doing a good job.

Any way cheers Loomis and let us agree that whoever finally is picked will contribute to a great Bond 21!

Edited by Seannery, 01 June 2004 - 07:05 PM.

#13 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:04 PM

[quote name='Loomis' date='1 June 2004 - 18:48'] [quote name='Seannery' date='1 June 2004 - 18:40'] Well Loomis as I mentioned in my post, age is not the big issue and that is why they have a range of candidates concerning age--they want the best fit.

Edited by SeanValen00V, 01 June 2004 - 07:08 PM.

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:06 PM

Not taking this serious at all (no offense intended, Seannery).

The only "inside information" I'm going to take as the plain truth on this subject is the one we'll all get from a certain press conference that will be held hopefully in the near future and that has Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson on the podium... plus the man who'll be announced to play the role of James Bond in the 21st EON Bond movie.

Yes indeed Stromberg, that will cap it off for me. This is an interesting thread, but I believe you can take it's credibility just as much as the others. Do these names seem to be mentioning up the most often? Yes, certainly.

I'm guessing that one of the names mentioned will be chosen by Broccoli, Wilson, and the rest, but nothing can convince me of it until it happens.

#15 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:11 PM

Of those 5 actors , I would go with Clive Owen or Adrian Paul.

:)

#16 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:18 PM

Adrian Paul?! A joke surely?? :)

Edited by Martin Mystery, 01 June 2004 - 07:19 PM.

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:23 PM

The thing about Paul is, I remember reading about how he'd make a good James Bond before Timothy Dalton landed the role for THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS. He seems like yesterday's man to me, and then some. It appears as unlikely that Paul is under consideration now as it does that, say, Lewis Collins is under consideration now.

Then again, Dalton was apparently first tipped as a potential Bond in 1969 or thereabouts, and, as we all know, Brosnan was a Bond-in-waiting for almost a decade. So there may be a grain of truth in the suggestion that Paul has been looked at again recently (looked at and very, very swiftly dismissed, perhaps). But I still do not believe that he's a frontrunner, or indeed that he's any kind of serious candidate any more.

#18 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:24 PM

Well they are the candidates and are all being taken seriously--though I assume they all along with their supporters have those who hate them !

p.s. Loomis it was Goldeneye where Paul came close to Bond not Living Daylights. He came into notice after Highlander I think in '92, '93.

Edited by Seannery, 01 June 2004 - 07:32 PM.

#19 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:25 PM

If age isn't an issue, they should get Dalton back. Or Connery.

(I'd have ended the above with the :) symbol, only I'm not kidding. :) )

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:37 PM

p.s. Loomis it was Goldeneye where Paul came close to Bond not Living Daylights. He came into notice after Highlander I think in '92, '93.

I'm pretty sure his name was bandied about as a potential Bond long before GOLDENEYE, though. I may be wrong in asserting that he was a fan favourite before TLD, but I'm nonetheless sure that he was widely seen as a future 007 from the late 1980s onwards.

Still, even if Paul was in the frame for Bond as recently as a decade ago, I doubt that he's in the frame now. Mind you, I may be wrong. Don't think I am, but I may be. :)

#21 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:57 PM

If Paul is in this race it would have to be only on the strength of his pre-GoldenEye audition. Perhaps, Babs and Mickey G really loved his audition back then, but went with Pierce for whatever reason (He was better, he was more bankable, other reasons, all of the above). But if Paul did have a great audition then I can see his name being on the list now. At this point though, that

#22 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:05 PM

Remember you heard it first here on June 2, 2004.

The June 2 part was a tip-off for me considering it's June 1 for a lot of us still. I think I'll wait until one of those Time Magazine spreads where Lazenby and the other 1968 Bond contenders were freatured before I buy this. Or should I say agree to disagree.

And why in the world would anyone think Colin Firth would be a good Bond?

#23 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:19 PM

no joke . I think he's a capable actor to become James Bond...but surelly he will not be chosen , because Eon will chose a pretty baby face to appeall to more audiences.

#24 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:20 PM

Yes Turn, I blew the date! Sorry about that. Let me amend my sentence then--you heard it first on June 1, 2004!! :)

One last thing I forgot to mention Loomis from a good source was that Paul with a handful of candidates were shortly considered for Bond pre-World Is Not Enough when there was a small time period when negotiations with Pierce was going badly. Hugh Jackman was also on that short list and I think Colin Firth too, but with him I may be mistaken about.

#25 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:24 PM

Turn you will be glad to know I corrected my original post and it now has the right date on it! :)

#26 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:28 PM

If Adrian Paul wasn't so old, and had a real chance as Bond, he would be my favorite. I've seen some of his Highlander tv show on Spike! He seemed a lot like Sean Connery from what I saw.

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:29 PM

no joke . I think he's a capable actor to become James Bond...but surelly he will not be chosen , because Eon will chose a pretty baby face to appeall to more audiences.

I've been looking over Paul, he doesn't look like "James Bond" to me.

#28 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:36 PM

Eon will chose a pretty baby face to appeall to more audiences.

Oh, you mean Jackman? :)

#29 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:38 PM

JB007 age is no big deal, Firth and Paul in their mid 40's look youthful for their age like Roger Moore who did well until at least 55. They can go 3,4 even stretching 5 films even with 3 years between films and if switch to two years occasionally even more. But with 3 year breaks still works fine. They just want the best fit for Bond whoever it is and regardless of age they believe that will offer them the best chance for continual success.

#30 Willie Garvin

Willie Garvin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:06 PM

Having played the dashing international adventurer Remington Steele,Pierce Brosnan had a measure of fame popularity and a pre-establshed image when he became James Bond.A similar case was equally true for Sir Roger Moore who years before,was also an internationally recognized star from his successful and long running Saint tv series.Both Simon Templar and Remington Steele were very much alike in looks attitude and behavior.And they often wore tuxedos.It might have been a gamble to sign Brosnan, but he was frequently compared to Roger and Cary Grant.And he was a leading man with a large female following.About as big a risk as signing Moore.Even during the infamous 6 year gap Brosnan remained well-known and before then seemed to be indirectly campaigning for the Bond role even while Dalton played the part.There were many sympathetic magazine and newspaper interviews which all touched at some point on Brosnan's once being signed as Bond only to have to return to finish the Steele series instead.Most of these wrongly suggested that Dalton was little more than a pretender to the throne. Brosnan was a known quantity when he signed on for GoldenEye.And well known in the USA.

By contrast,I can't recall Paul appearing in many films or tv shows in the USA.There was Highlander and later Tracker.Both of these were shown at odd hours-1am or 3am.Not a familiar name to the general public.He sure looked right for the part(to me) but he may have also been considered too old by the time GoldenEye was announced.He tested for Eon.Like Brosnan he too,has a huge female following.

As noted,Christian Bale is currently unavailable.Check out the film Equillibirium to see how well suited he seems to be 007(or Batman for that matter).Maybe he'll be available 10 years from now,when he'll be in his early/mid 40s-like Brosnan was in GoldenEye.After all,Harrison Ford starred in 3 film series-Star Wars,Indiana Jones and the Jack Ryan pictures- so having been Batman shouldn't preclude Bale being 007--eventually.

In all honesty while I've been impressed with Clive Owen in Croupier and Gosford Park,I don't see James Bond when I look at him.He's good villain material,however.I'm just not as familiar with him as many Britons are.Who knows?He might be great but I don't think so--at least right now.And he's not a leading man.Eon has favored leading men so far.Owen isn't a leading man.

Gruffud could be a good 007 but he's what?28?If Eon wants a young Bond then he's their man.Handsome but ruggedly so, with an excellent speaking voice.On the short side perhaps but no more than most actors.And an established tv star via the Horatio Hornblower series-very popular in the US.Large female fanbase.But he could easily wait 10 years if need be.

Hugh Jackman seems to have all or at least most of the things the man who plays 007 requires.Talent,good looks,good build,plenty of charisma.A Connery type.He's also enough of a famous star actor to make a relatively smooth transition from Brosnan to 007.The other gentlemen can't make that claim right now.I think Eon and MGM are considering that.Overall,Jackman's the strongest candidate,and as already noted elsewhere,at 35,he's young enough to do at least 4 films without aging radically.I'm not at all sure Owen could do that even if the films were made at 2 year intervals.And if it means anything,Brosnan's endorsed Jackman.

Much as I'd like to see a talented unknown with all the proper qualities be the next James Bond,I'd be very surprised if Eon and MGM don't select Jackman.If not now then after Bond 21 when Brosnan steps down.

Edited by Willie Garvin, 02 June 2004 - 04:20 AM.