45 replies to this topic

#31 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:43 PM

I've been incommuncato (spelling?) for the last few days and was glad to get back online and read this article and my quote.

Thank you Zencat for quoting me and for some great articles: the Benson interview has been so good I've printed them ut and tucked them inside my James Bond Bedside Companion. I expect to go back to that interview over the years.

Well thank you for the very nice compliment (and the very quotable quote), B007GLE.

#32 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:53 PM

I'll only buy the books if they have a nice cover. Rather like the John Gardner books in that respect then.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:06 AM

I'll only buy the books if they have a nice cover. Rather like the John Gardner books in that respect then.

Think it'll look anything like this?

Attached Files

• Attached File  JBJr.jpg   132.67KB   35 downloads

#34 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:09 AM

I think they're going to stay away as far as possible from past James Bond Junior references, as to maybe point out that this is something new and different.

That's what I think at least. :)

#35 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:10 PM

After I calmed down on this whole thing, I've come to the conclusion that your official stance is really the best way to take it. And if nothing else, it brings us at least some new stuff to collect (adult editions! greed, greed :) )

A good indicator to see if the concept works may be the international market. But I doubt that any foreign publisher will jump on it imediately. They'll all wait how the books sell on the English-speaking matket, and then decide. Unless, of course, the book(s) show to be absolutely fantastic, a sure hit, even for the most narrow-minded accountant. But we'll have to wait and see, too early for that.

Another thing with this idea is, and I'm sure you've all experienced this:
I've got many friends who are not really Bond fans, but always interested in geting some news and to learn what's going on. And of course, I have been asked: "So, tell me, apart from all those rumours, is there any solid and confirmed news on Bond?"
Um... How to explain it to the kids? Just a few explanatory words on the development of the literary Bond and that there will be a new series of books. And then (somewhere out of leftfield, after a short rethorical break): "It's going to be set in the 30's, James Bond will be 13 years old." Bang! I've never seen so many of my friends looking like they had just been hit with a frying pan on the forehead. Typical answer is a classic quote: "You must be joking." The further reactions are just the same as in this forum...

So, what have you all experienced when talking about this to non-Bond Fans? What does the general unbiased public think about it?

#36 spectre37

spectre37

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:04 PM

Just to get a different opinion on the subject,I just asked my 13 year old son what he thinks about the idea of a 13 year old Bond having adventures. He said he would certinaly read the first book hoping it would be a cross between Harry Potter and Alex Ryder. He had no objection to Bond going on missions using gadgets etc.
Although this goes against the feelings of most of us,clearly these books have an appeal to younger readers,I can only hope that given time they will move on and read Flemings books.

#37 Civilian_007 Samurai_*

Civilian_007 Samurai_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:18 PM

At what age should the Fleming books be read - many of them do contain references to sex and violence (and occasionally both at the same time)?

Should these new books be promoting to children a literary character which is aimed at the adult market? James Bond, as Fleming wrote him, is not a children's character. I know the films, at least in the UK, are now 12a - which means that those over 12 can see it un-accompanied, but the under 12s can still see it with an adult. But the films are tamed down versions of the books. I know that some kids might enjoy the films and then go and buy a Fleming books - but I think that this is much more likely to happen if they enjoy Higson books.

In the 21st century, should children be contemplating such 'contradictionary' concepts as a hero that smoke, whilst smoking is a bad thing, and a hero that is racist, sexist, homophobic, etc - whilst discrimination is a bad thing. Many of us may think 'well it was good enough for me as a kid'. But this is the nature of progress, that which we accepted is no longer acceptable - because we hope to live in a world that is changing for the better - without discrimination (and smoking). Most especially in children.

I'm not saying that reading books has a negative effect on anybody, or that books should have an age limit, or even that children can't accept the notion of fiction and characters that are not 'black-and-white, 'good-and-bad'. I just wonder whether IFP have even considered any of this.

#38 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:22 PM

I was reading Fleming in the 4th grade back in 1986. If my teachers had any inkling what was really in them, I would have been sent to a school shrink and given ritalin, I am sure.

#39 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:50 PM

I read my first Fleming book when I was 12. The only damage in my mind was that I read all of them after that and I became a hard fan.
When you are 12 you can read stories about a hero who smoke who have sex, who is homophobic and so...
I am 43 now. I don't smoke, I'm not homophobic I'm not violent, I have sex but only with my wife and I'm still a hard fan.

#40 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:53 PM

And I'm nor sexist nor sadist, nor racist. I have finished all the Fleming books when I was 15. And I looked for Colonel Sun then...
So...

#41 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 01:16 PM

Since I have started reading the Bonds....

I drive cars way too fast

I have been known to imbibe a vodka martini, or two.

I once carried a gun in the car, and wore a shoulder holster

I used to smoke, but quit, due to it being a filthy habit.

I have sex quite often...with my girlfriend.

However, I have never killed anyone before. So, that must be something...

#42 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 03:30 PM

Hey gang, looks like this article got picked up and quoted -- along with Loomis! See this thread.

#43 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:15 PM

I have no issue with this concept as a product

Commercially speaking:

Young Indiana Jones worked, although he wasn't a boy.

Young Sherlock Holmes worked.

Spy Kids worked.

Alex Rider worked.

It seems they want to cash in on Potter by creating a new mega popular teen hero, using the Bond brand name. That may or may not work, but it puts a big dent in the already dented credibility of James Bond movies. If they wanted to rachet up the movies to be as commercially successful as Mission Impossible, that isn't the way to do it.

It cheapens the Bond brand name and makes it seem less cool. Frankly, I think they are making a HUGE mistake, even though I suspect these books will be best sellers and may come second in sales to only Harry Potter on the children's lists.

#44 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:19 PM

In relation to how some fans are reacting to the announcement of Daniel Craig as James Bond, I thought it might be interesting to revive this thread and see how we all reacted to the announcement of the Young Bond series.

A mistake! A disaster! Sure fire bomb! Yadda, yadda. We were dead wrong.

SilverFin will probably be the most successful James Bond continuation novel of them all (if it isn't already). Maybe the best position here would have been just to "wait for the book."

Sometimes those in charge actually know what they are doing. Sometimes. :)

#45 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:31 PM

Oh, thank you, John :)

Reading my above comment from over a year ago...

I'll get me coat... :)

#46 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:33 PM

Hey, I know how you feel. I wrote the article. And now I'm a Young Bond super fan. :)