#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:06 PM

Main page story HERE.

(If anyone objects to being quoted, PM me and I will swap it out for someone else. :))

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:19 PM

Very interesting story Zencat, and some good pro and con opinions from the members here!

It's hard to give a totally accurate feeling on all of this. I had finished all the Bond novels in early 2003, I really wanted another Benson novel and didn't get one. Yeah, this is great, more Bond novels, the novels are sometimes preferred over the films, but when it comes down to what is actually going to be in these new young James Bond novels, that's where the questions arise.

You need sex and violence for it to be James Bond. It always has been that way, and should stay that way. It's that simple, I think. People like to read about this man, who at different times, smoked 6o or 70 cigarettes a day, has casual sex with many women, kills brutally and without hesitance. That's Bond for you.

Will these new novels have those ingredients? I highly doubt it, or much lowered amounts of them at least. They're not going to have a teenager having sex throughout these books when they're aimed at the younger audience, nor will the violence level be quite so high I suspect.

Will this idea work? I certainly hope so, because I want to like these books, because they're the new and next supplement of Bond we're going to be getting for a little while, and it's no fun at all for them not to be enjoyable.

If I had the choice, I would easily revert back to the normal novels, but as this is what we are dealt with, I'm more than glad to try them. I will buy every single one, every publication, just like all the rest. That won't change for me. I only hope I'll enjoy them as much, or at least as close as the novels we all know of.

#3 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:27 PM

Great article, John.

Personally I'm with the majority. We don't need a young James Bond. Go and read Harry Potter everyone. :)

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:29 PM

My official stance is, while I would prefer more traditional continuation novels, I will give these books a chance. I'm very intrigued by the '30s setting.

#5 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:39 PM

Looking forward to the 80 yr old Bond sitting on the park bench telling some poor person who happens to sit next to him what happened to him at Eton back in the Depression years.

Flashback, commence!

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:45 PM

I think Bond fans should hold off on being too critical until they have read the novels.

#7 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:45 PM

I say... keep Harry Pothead and Cody Banks away from our beloved Bond

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:48 PM

I never liked the Harry Potter stuff until I saw the second movie and got totally drawn into it....

I just hope they set Bond in the proper historical context as set by Fleming (ie pre-WWII)

#9 Atticus17F

Atticus17F

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:54 PM

I won't buy them, for the same reason I won't buy a Britney Spears CD or take part in a game of tig. But I'd be interested to know if there are any 11-year-olds around who have an opinion on this. That's who the books are for, after all.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:15 PM

I have never bought a Britney Spears CD, but she sure is easy on the eyes...

I still say that IFP may have another writer produce adult Bond books!

#11 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:56 PM

My official stance is, while I would prefer more traditional continuation novels, I will give these books a chance. I'm very intrigued by the '30s setting.

This is how I feel too. I think these books could have great potential if they are done right, but from what it sounds like (aimed for ages 10-12) I don't have high hopes. We'll just have to see when they come out.

Also great article zencat, as always. :)

#12 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 07:09 PM

I have no problem with this really, but who is this guy?!

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 07:13 PM

I have no problem with this really, but who is this guy?!

Apparently a much bigger name in the UK than he is in the US. I'm told he has worked on comedy writing, producing, and directing. A show that has popped up when asked about him was The Fast Show.

#14 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 07:21 PM

I am hoping this does not lead to a decrease in the sex department. :)

What kind of adventure story can we get from this? :)

Will he be a member of the Royal Navy here? :)

Has IFP truly stolen my idea!? :)

Upon reading the various things, this looks baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:04 PM

I would think it would obviously lead to decreases in the sex and violence departments.

He'll be a teenager, what else they really haven't said much.

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:04 PM

Yeah....no sex and violence --- doesn't sound good!

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:06 PM

Exactly, you need them for a story, perhaps the levels of each will increase with each successive story.

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:08 PM

As Algy says to 007 in NSNA:

"Now your back on the job I hope we are going to get some gratuitous sex and violence"

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:09 PM

Except the only change is that Bond is before the 'job' now, but they can't be both politically correct and stick to Fleming's ideas, such that Bond lost his virginity at age 16, or can they?

#20 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:17 PM

Looking forward to the 80 yr old Bond sitting on the park bench telling some poor person who happens to sit next to him what happened to him at Eton back in the Depression years. 

Flashback, commence!

Kinda like Forrest Gump.

#21 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:06 PM

I really hope they have it set in the 1930s as Flemings Etonian Bond would be.

#22 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:15 PM

According to IFP that would be the case DLibrasnow. It relieved me to see this was indeed not really intended for us, but the younger reading crowd (Does that actually exist nowadays?)

They might as well put the "003 1/2" next to "JAMES BOND" on the book covers

#23 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:28 PM

That's great news Johnboy, and hearing that the chances of me picking up a copy of the book just jumped dramatically. I was really afraid they would have Bond as a 21st century teenager.

#24 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:05 PM

Good article Zen, it made for a nice summing up of the debate.

I like that i was quoted. It's gotta be good for one's ego. Shame you couldn't include JIMS complete alternative young Bond extract, it deserves to be shared with a larger audience, but that would have warranted a seperate page on its own.

Goodo.

Hawk

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:52 AM

Thanks Hawk. Glad you're okay with the fact that I quoted you. It was one of my favorites. :)

#26 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 02:05 AM

Great article, Zencat.

I completely agree with your "official stance" on this. I don't like the idea, but, depending on reviews, and how the rest of this plays out [how long will these novels be?], I'll give it a go.

My number one fear for these books is that each one will be about Bond investigating some sort of mysterious happening...

"...and I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for that meddling kid!"

#27 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 10:54 AM

A Bond without sex and violence???

Who says? There probably won't be much sex, no, but why does having a series starring a 13 year old preclude it from featuring violence? As I have said before, read 'His Dark Materials'. The 12 year old boy lead has many violent fights, loses two fingers during the course of these (wounds which refuse to heal for the majority of one of the books). One fight features one of the leads ripping the throat of another character out. This series is aimed at kids.
Higson's novel 'King of the Ants' features the lead being tied to a chair, having foam strapped around his head, and being beaten with a cricket bat. Violent enough for you?

#28 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 03:03 PM

I only help the violence at least in this novel is credible, and not something expected in a younger children's action piece. I think they might beable to at least handle this correctly, I hope at least.

#29 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:44 PM

Something to note, unless it has been elsewhere already,

Higson appeared on Mastermind over here a while back his specıalıst subject - James Bond.

#30 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:36 PM

I've been incommuncato (spelling?) for the last few days and was glad to get back online and read this article and my quote.

Thank you Zencat for quoting me and for some great articles: the Benson interview has been so good I've printed them ut and tucked them inside my James Bond Bedside Companion. I expect to go back to that interview over the years.

I think this young Bond book could be very interesting. Young BOnd breaking into a liquor cabinet and drinking too much voidka, getting drunk and sick and swearing that he'll never toch the stuff again. Bond's first smoke. His first (as we used to say) make out session.

We know the guy to have killed, seduced, smoked and drank his way around the world. It may be fun to see the firsts of thesse things.

I may be in the very small minority but what the hell, bring it on.