126 replies to this topic

#1 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 08:17 PM

This topic will probably get a lot of replies from angry Dalton fans, but here goes:
He was not big enough(compare him to Connery and Moore and he seems like a midget)
He ran like a girl.
He was'nt suave.
He was'nt exactly a 'babe magnet'
He should have had The Living Daylights beaten out of him.
He was a wimp, but likes to pretend he was 'hard'
He tried too hard.
Ok, Dalton fans, hit me with it!

#2 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 08:34 PM

An interesting post Carver. I'm not angry, but I do understand some of your points.
Dalton wasn't exactly dynamite with the ladies and his humour wasn't that good either. Dalton was the "dark" and "deadly" 007 and I always see a bit of Fleming's Bond in him.

As for his height, he was 6 foot 2 inches and I don't think that's small(its just that Connery had a slim build in early films which made him look taller).

Dalton a wimp? I don't think so.

#3 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 08:41 PM

RITZ (26 May, 2002 09:34 p.m.):
Dalton a wimp? I don't think so.

Well, when you look at his arms in LTK when he is in bed, you'll see wgat I'm talking about. The man has no muscles! Ok, all my first ponts do seem a bit harsh, I do like Dalton, I just think that everyone is hyping him up like some god. He definately was'nt the best Bond, but I think he was the fourth best.

#4 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 08:55 PM

Connery wasn't exactly Arnold Schwartznegger, neither was Moore.

The fact that Dalton came after Moore didn't help much. They were totally different and some fans weren't ready for that. If TD did 2 more films, he would have gained more respect.

Like I said before, mention the words "James Bond" and Connery will always come to mind.

Its strange though....when I read Fleming's books I always see Connery and when I read Gardner I always see Brosnan.

#5 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 09:08 PM

I know people say Dalton was "Fleming's Bond" and what not, but regardless of that, I think he was second best, behind Brosnan. I think people only believe Connery was the best because he was the original, the first actor to be cast as Bond in a Bond movie - Dr No. People then base future Bonds on him and the way that he 'created' the role 40 years ago. If you ask me, people don't look into the different aspects of each Bond, they'll just say ... "Connery's the best" ... "Lazenby was the worse" and so on.

#6 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 09:18 PM

When it comes right down to it, NONE of the actors WAS Bond. . .they were performers giving their own interpretations of the Bond character. It seems as though when someone really likes how an actor played Bond the reaction is, "THAT's Bond;" and if you don't like the actor, the reaction is, "That guy's a phony." Personally, I find things to recommend in all five actors' performances; but I do feel that Sean Connery did the best job of creating a screen persona for Bond and Dalton was the best at bringing the literary character to life.

As for some of your complaints, Carver. . .well, the only Bonds who looked like they regularly hit the gym were Connery and Lazenby--the other three actors are all tall and slim. A wimp? No way--look at his fight scenes in TLD, where he head-butts one opponent and coldly sends another to his death by cutting the laces on his boot. As for not being a babe-magnet. . .I had a girlfriend who would have dumped me in a second for five minutes alone with Dalton.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 12:17 AM

Hardyboy (26 May, 2002 10:18 p.m.):
As for not being a babe-magnet. . .I had a girlfriend who would have dumped me in a second for five minutes alone with Dalton.

Nice girlfriend... :)

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 12:22 AM

Carver (26 May, 2002 09:17 p.m.):
He was not big enough(compare him to Connery and Moore and he seems like a midget)

Sorry to burst your bubble, Carver, but if Ritz is correct about Dalton being 6'2", then he's exactly Bond's height.

But I, too, always thought he seemed a bit short. Not bothersome where I couldn't watch him for a minute without thinking: God, is he ever short!, but sometimes I got that feeling. :)

He ran like a girl.

Huh? When did he run, except for the bit towards the Mujaheddin?
This is probably the funniest comment anyone's made about a Bond actor! :)

#9 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 09:47 AM

Old Timmy was OK LTK was built around his views on Bond character and he nailed it. The main trouble with Timmy was that he was too much of a thespian actor which is great if you play the villain but not as the lead.

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 11:46 PM

When people say Dalton was out of character in Licence to Kill, I always think of the oh-so-happy Felix Leiter at the end. :) Talk about bad acting.

#11 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 01:28 AM

General Koskov (31 May, 2002 12:46 a.m.):
When people say Dalton was out of character in Licence to Kill, I always think of the oh-so-happy Felix Leiter at the end. :) Talk about bad acting.

Well, I don't think the problem is David Hedison's acting so much as Mike Wilson's writing. I mean, Felix's wife has been murdered (and it's implied Felix watched her being raped), his leg has been bitten off by a shark, he's still in the hospital suffering from trauma and in pain. . .and he's laughing and talking about fishing? How quick was his recovery time?

#12 Mouse

Mouse

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 08:04 AM

Well, near the beginning of the film we are told that he REALLY REALLY likes fishing. His honeymoon wasn't going to spoil his chances of fishing, neither will the death of his wife or the losing of a limb. As long as there is a good canal, ol' Felix will be as happy as a pig in [cuss].

#13 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 09:45 PM

Rolex (edited):
The main trouble with Timmy was that he was too much of a thespian actor which is great if you play the villain but not as the lead.

Not too be picky, but the word thespian literally means dramatic actor.

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 11:58 AM

RITZ (26 May, 2002 09:55 p.m.):(edited)
Connery wasn't exactly Arnold Schwartznegger...

No, he wasn't. Schwartznegger was Mr. Universe; Connery was only Mr. Scotland 1953.

#15 Mouse

Mouse

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 11:35 AM

Ran like a girl?

You can't even type. The apostrophe goes as follows : wasn't.

Not was'nt.

Come on there.

#16 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 11:45 AM

Mouse (28 May, 2002 12:35 p.m.):(edited)

Not was'nt.

Come on there.

Nobody grades on punctuation or typing skills here. Let's not make this personal, please.

#17 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 08:14 PM

Mister Asterix (28 May, 2002 12:45 p.m.):

Mouse (28 May, 2002 12:35 p.m.):(edited)

Not was'nt.

Come on there.

Nobody grades on punctuation or typing skills here. Let's not make this personal, please.

Thank you Mr*. But to Mouse, I was in a hurry, as I do type fast and don't even look at the screen. Anyways, there are a lot of punctuation mistakes I have seen on these forums, including yours.

#18 david0007

david0007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 02:16 PM

General Koskov (27 May, 2002 01:22 a.m.):

But I, too, always thought he seemed a bit short. Not bothersome where I couldn't watch him for a minute without thinking: God, is he ever short!, but sometimes I got that feeling. :)

Don't mean to offend, but that's because he has short limbs, so you are under the impression that he is shorter. I also think he is short until I realise he is actually 6'2''.

#19 Mouse

Mouse

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 02:24 PM

I truly and deeply apologise to Carver. I do tend to lash out when my favourite Bond actor is criticised, particularly on the grounds that he runs like a girl.

I do not want to remain in your contempt as you have great power and may use one of your goons to kill me for a news story.

Again, apologies.

#20 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 08:02 PM

Mouse (29 May, 2002 03:24 p.m.):
I truly and deeply apologise to Carver. I do tend to lash out when my favourite Bond actor is criticised, particularly on the grounds that he runs like a girl.

I do not want to remain in your contempt as you have great power and may use one of your goons to kill me for a news story.

Again, apologies.

Apology accepted Mouse, you nearly had Stamper knocking on your door! Ok, the whole 'running like a girl' thing was just a joke. Watching TLD now, his elbows do just stick out a bit, but otherwise, he's fine :-)

#21 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 02:00 AM

Elbows? :) Heh heh. I wouldn't go as far to say any Bond actor is 'NOT Bond' (unless I'm tring to point out that they only played him), but Dalton doesn't fit Fleming's description of Bond (except the height, which I mentioned).

#22 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 03:33 AM

A lot of the criticisms you level at Dalton, Carver, I've actually heard aimed at Brosnan from various sources.

I read somewhere that during the GoldenEye tussle with Xenia in the steamroom that a lot of people thought he looked to frail, so he did some kind of workout before TND to compensate for it. In fact, I think it was the late critic Gene Siskel who talked about Brosnan being too slight. And somebody else said he ran funny.

I think saying that Dalton is being built as a god is nowhere near what the worship of Brosnan is on this site. Where I see a few people who go out of their way occasionally to slam Dalton, I don't see anybody really going out of their way to slam Brosnan.

I like both Brosnan and Dalton. Dalton was such a great change back in '87 that it was hard not to be impressed. On the other hand, Brosnan has helped save the series and put his own stamp on the character and I can't wait to see what he comes up with for DAD. But I give the edge to Dalton since he is the closest thing to Fleming's Bond in my opinion.

#23 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 05:08 AM

Speaking of Bond actors' sites, Tim's site has bits of The Living Daylights's screenplay, and the screen treatment of Licence to Kill. I with they had the whole screenplay, though. :)

#24 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 04:32 PM

He ran like a girl.
He was'nt suave.
He was'nt exactly a 'babe magnet'
He was a wimp, but likes to pretend he was 'hard'
He tried too hard.

What?
He was 6 feet 2. Not big enough? Ian Fleming's Bond was EXACTLY that height.
He did not run like a girl. You haven't provided any examples, you haven't got any proof. He headbutted the guy in the truck in the teaser of TLD and gave the Russian prison guards the hiding of their lifes. The only time he ran away was when Whittaker emptied a few hundred rounds at him near the end, when Bond had no shots left. What would you do? - let him but 80 bullets in your heart?
He was as suave as anyone I've ever seen - the way he coolly saunters into the theatre, late, at the start, the way he insists on steel tipped bullets, the way he changes the champagne from Harrods for Bollinger, EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM, was suave!
He was extremely attractive to women - he is virtually a sex symbol in England! Most women go weak at the knees at his dark good looks. (My mum for example!)

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

He was not a wimp. Anyone who could have singlehandedly taken out two armed guards, or chased a jeep, jumped on and fought the driver who had a gun without being killed, or anyone who could wreak havoc on a boat, dive overboard, fight and beat frogmen and end up atop a seaplane and fight the pilot to the death CANNOTbe a wimp!!

He tried too hard

No Carver, it's called ACTING

#25 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 08:41 PM

.Oh god, here we go:rolleyes:. Exaple: watch TLD pre-titles sequence and when he is running after the jeep, before he comes to the gate and shoves the guard outta his way, watch him run, he runs like a girl. He definately wasn't suave, compare him to our Roger, Connery or Pierce, and he relies upon the ''darkness'' of his Bond more than the 'English gentleman' and suaveness. Having the **** beaten outta him by Sanchez was NOT the same Bond swimming the guantlet in TB, beating the two guys by the pyramids in TSWLM, and killing Red Grant in FRWL. Hell, he was on top of the truck, he should have been kicking Sanchez in the head all the time! Ok, he was tall, but he didn't seem it. Wacth TLD, when he and Kara are in the safehouse thing with Kamran Shah, Kara seems to be the same height as him! Maybe it was just the girls he was with, they were just too tall:p You can't exactly call him a babe magnet, ask most women which Bond they like best, and he's nearer last then first! Most like Connery and Pierce, and the occasional ones like Moore and Lazenby (women hate Moore for some reason!). And that's my points for the debate, thank you;)

#26 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 09:04 PM

When he shoves the guard out of the way the guard goes flying! As for suaveness, he makes the others look like toddlers! His whole mannoe was cool and debonair to a tee - Moore was an oaf in comparison! The reason most women say the others is because he was only in two films, and most women may not have seen either of them but are sure to have seen a connery or Moore one because they did the most. As for getting beaten up by Sanchez, don't be ridiculous! He gave Sanchez a good beating - anyway, it's not Dalton's fault if the fights are choreographed so that the other guy does get some punches in. Your definition of running like a girl is my definiton of running like a man: with purpose and speed. Daton kicked the other Bonds' butts in every department.

#27 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 09:12 PM

:rolleyes:just quit argueing with me on 3 whole thread and private messages, these are supposed to be happy forums ya know:p

#28 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 09:22 PM

I only sent 1 private message! Apologies, no offence meant. I still disagree though.

#29 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 09:26 PM

Yup, but you don't have to take it that far BP! Let's just forget the whole arguement on these threads. LOL, look at how much our respective post totals have gone up in the last half hour!:)

#30 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 09:28 PM

Yes, quite considerably. Alright, argument forgotten