30 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:42 PM

If this indeed means that Charlie Higson is the author of record will he write the novelisations? And since past authors have made attempts to bring the Novelised Bond into the Literary world, would Higson do the same? Or will his Young Master Bond be too far removed from the films

#2 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:44 PM

Probably but not necessarily. After all John Gardner started writing 007 novels in 1981 but he didn't pen a novelisation until 1989.

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:50 PM

Eon/MGM might get someone unassociated with IFP; any old hack.

#4 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:50 PM

All we need now are four horsemen.

Wait...

Broccoli, Wilson, Puvis, Wade

:)

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:53 PM

Probably but not necessarily. After all John Gardner started writing 007 novels in 1981 but he didn't pen a novelisation until 1989.

The novelisations began when they no longer had a Fleming book with the same title to tie into. One would assume that Eon and MGM will want a book to help sell the film.

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:55 PM

Who says there'll be any more Bond films to write novelisations for?

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:38 PM

The novelisations began when they no longer had a Fleming book with the same title to tie into. One would assume that Eon and MGM will want a book to help sell the film.

Good point....I would have been interested to see a John Gardner penned A View To A Kill considering that EON stole -- sorry lifted - so many of his ideas for that movie :)

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:46 PM

Who says there'll be any more Bond films to write novelisations for?

INT. EON OFFICE
MICKY G (to BABS): Geez, IFP are going to stuff up OUR product if we don't do something about it!

BABS: Oh Well, Bond 21 here we come then.

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:50 PM

Information we received last week seems to suggest Bond 21 will be coming next year.

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:54 PM

Care to elaborate, Darren? :)

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:57 PM

Care to elaborate, Darren? :)

Not on the boards Brett.,...but if you are MSN in about 6 hours I might let something slip.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:56 PM

Puvis, Wade

Isn't that a sad thought.

Perhaps they'll have the author write completely oblivious to the 'young' James Bond if and when he writes the continuation novels. Doesn't make much sense, but I really don't see any other paths that make much more.

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:08 PM

Perhaps they will not have continuation novels? Its not like the Benson novels ever set the bestseller lists ablaze.

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:13 PM

I would very much miss not having continuation novels, not as if they did much worse or better than Benson's or Gardner's original novels.

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:45 PM

I've never read any of the novelizations so I wouldn't miss it.

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:47 PM

Then you're missing out DLibrasnow, as some of them are quite good and definitely need many readings if you're an avid fan, well worth checking them out, and always looked forward to when there is a new Bond film. I would sorely miss not having them.

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:55 PM

Then you're missing out DLibrasnow, as some of them are quite good and definitely need many readings if you're an avid fan, well worth checking them out, and always looked forward to when there is a new Bond film. I would sorely miss not having them.

I prefer to be surprised in the movie theater.

#18 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:57 PM

I heartily agree, that's why I buy the continuation novels when they come out and then see the movie first, then go and read the novel, so not to spoila anything. Benson and Gardner especially did some very good work on all of them.

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:01 PM

I heartily agree, that's why I buy the continuation novels when they come out and then see the movie first, then go and read the novel, so not to spoila anything. Benson and Gardner especially did some very good work on all of them.

Fair enough.....but I'm not a huge fan of Bensons anyway.

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:03 PM

Fair enough.....but I'm not a huge fan of Bensons anyway.

Then you might enjoy the Gardner's, as I recently read that some think Gardner could write a much more convincing and envoloping novel, when he was given the storyline and was left to give it the creativity he chose. Goldeneye is a very fine novel by him, and one that took me a while to track down, but is very well woth the effort.

#21 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:06 PM

I've read his LTK novelisation but my favorite 007 novelisations are the Chris Wood entries in the 1970s.

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:09 PM

What I can compare about the Wood and Gardner novelizations, is that they both add little changes and twists here and there, but both stay relatively close to the storyline, which makes them good reading.

#23 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 04:07 AM

Well wasn't the rumor that Pierce Brosnan was out and that MGM/UA wanted to appeal to younger audience? We just didn't realize that MGM/UA wanted to appeal to the nine and twelve year olds by wanting to cast a thirteen year old James Bond.

#24 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:36 AM

Some of the novelisations are brilliant. I hope they ask Benson back to pen the Bond21 novelisation rather than an unknown.

#25 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 04:17 AM

What I can compare about the Wood and Gardner novelizations, is that they both add little changes and twists here and there, but both stay relatively close to the storyline, which makes them good reading.

Christopher Wood's novelizations are terrific. I'd go so far as to rate his The Spy Who Loved Me novelization as the best non-Fleming Bond book ever.

#26 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:16 AM

I'm currently reading James Bond and Moonraker which is pretty good so far. I'm about 6 chapters in and I've liked what I've read so far.

#27 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:44 PM

The Die Another Day novel ruined everything up to the swordfight for me. :) The only decent parts of that whole movie!

We just didn't realize that MGM/UA wanted to appeal to the nine and twelve year olds by wanting to cast a thirteen year old James Bond

15, to be exact, and 16 when filming begins :)

#28 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:46 PM

Ooh John, you read the novelization first? :) Bad move.

#29 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:30 PM

Just everything up to the Blades sequence. :)

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:34 PM

Ah, it was hard for me to have that brand new novelization on my bookshelf for days, before the film came out, but I firmly believe in seeing the film first and then reading the book.