95 replies to this topic

#61 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:09 PM

no problem Athena..I should be able to take care of that for ya!!

#62 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:49 PM

You know, the more I hear from Jim, I seem to think that Pierce stole his girlfriend or something.  It's always so personal!

Nah, don't worry. Has developed over time into random petty abuse. But no less enjoyable for that.

Such an easy target, though.

You're badly needed in the DAD forums...please finnish the piece de resistance that is your A-Z thread!! :)

#63 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:05 PM

Wow! WOW! How I wish I was there!
What an experience for you, Athena!

Ya, [dark] :) it was really great. ThanX!!!

Ry: thank you sooo much, nobody does it better :)

On another note, I'm just so tired of the Pierce bashing, I mean like ok there are a number of people on here don't care for him at all... but that doesn't require bashing, does it? I mean he can always be ignored if he's that disliked.

#64 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:28 PM

I agree. It really takes something away from the site when there's just constant bashing of one guy. If you make your point clear the first time, time number six thousand is really needless.

#65 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:37 PM

I've really been feeling the weight of internet negativity lately (and downright viciousness). I know the "everyone is entitled to their opinion", but after a while you just want to leave a place so filled with negative opinions and people.

That being said, I'm surprised at how generally civil CBn is and has always been, even in this regard. :) And our long term members seem to be very good at sniffing out people who register JUST to bring negativity to the site. People who just complain don't last long in a room full of professionals (Bond fans, not complainers :)).

#66 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:40 PM

I had to stop going to a couple of PB forums I got to, because the folks knew I worked for CBn and they would bombard me with posts about how I could let this site attack Pierce so much.

We get on these kicks here, where we go after one actor or writer, or another. And then we get over it. The amazing thing is, even when we attack the writer or actor, we are still civil to each other, and that's cool in a weird way. :)

Anyway, hopefully, as a goal for ourselves, we can work on being civil not just to ourselves, but to the creative people behind the series. We can critique them, that's for sure, but we shouldn't attack them.

-- Xenobia

#67 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:38 PM

We get on these kicks here, where we go after one actor or writer, or another. And then we get over it. The amazing thing is, even when we attack the writer or actor, we are still civil to each other, and that's cool in a weird way. :)

Anyway, hopefully, as a goal for ourselves, we can work on being civil not just to ourselves, but to the creative people behind the series. We can critique them, that's for sure, but we shouldn't attack them.

-- Xenobia

Some people get their kicks here by bashing Pierce Brosnan and they DON'T get over it. I agree with Genrewriter's comment that this constant bashing of one guy (Brosnan) detracts from this site. It is not just needless and annoying, to some it is offensive.

It would be great if we could all be civil, not just to ourselves, but to all those involved in the Bond films. But I don't hold much hope of that happening, at least while a certain element in the membership at CBn remains.

#68 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:46 PM

As one of the "Brosnan bashers", let me first say that if I am indeed engaging in behaviour that is annoying other members, I am grateful that this has been brought to my attention and I shall try to keep myself in check. Posting here is a privilege, not a right, and I do not wish to abuse the privilege. Allow me to follow that by stating that much of my "bashing", as should be fairly obvious, is tongue-in-cheek. I really doubt that Brosnan gives two hoots about anything posted here, although I appreciate that that does not give me a licence to be obnoxious. Anyway, I'm taking all these points on board, folks. :)

ETA: if anyone feels I have written anything that is especially offensive, please let me know and I shall delete it; or staffers have my blessing to make any deletions they deem necessary.

#69 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:05 PM

Loomis, thank you for that. And since you shared your thought process on this... here's mine...

I mean I noticed the Pierce bashing before, but what just did it for me was the fact that I post this pic of him that's something exciting from the TCA screening and there's no "cool", "wow" comments... they're all "ugh, not him", "stupid mustache" comments. I mean ok, so maybe he's not up to par for some people but come on I'm sure you'd be just as excited if you got a pic of someone you admired. Like for example if BondFinesse met Denise Richards and he posted the pic he took of her and all he got was "she's fat", "ew" and not "wow, you got to be that close to her" etc... then I 'm sure it would get to him too. It's just that I began to think, why the hell am I sharing this with these people who don't appreciate it (which is why I took the pic off the boards). Now this isn't an issue about me (and it's not that I think he's reading these boards and I don't want him to see things like that), it's just that this happened to really bring my attention closer to the fact that there seems to be a lot of it going on and it's a potential turn off to coming here and sharing/interacting on the boards. That's all really.

#70 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:12 PM

I mean I noticed the Pierce bashing before, but what just did it for me was the fact that I post this pic of him that's something exciting from the TCA screening and there's no "cool", "wow" comments... they're all "ugh, not him", "stupid mustache" comments. I mean ok, so maybe he's not up to par for some people but come on I'm sure you'd be just as excited if you got a pic of someone you admired. Like for example if BondFinesse met Denise Richards and he posted the pic he took of her and all he got was "she's fat", "ew" and not "wow, you got to be that close to her" etc... then I 'm sure it would get to him too. It's just that I began to think, why the hell am I sharing this with these people who don't appreciate it (which is why I took the pic off the boards).

Appreciated. If you look back through this thread, you'll realise that I saw the error of my ways and tried to make things right with a subsequent post. And I admit that some of my comments were pretty immature and, really, out of order (bashing a celeb anonymously in cyberspace? How cool... not). But please believe me on two points:

1. I never intended to annoy other members;

2. I never wanted to put a damper on your evening at the TCA screening.

All of which said, it is a grey area as to just how far we should feel free to go. I mean, if it's okay to write (for instance) "Purvis and Wade suck", why should it not be okay to write (for instance) "Brosnan is a wanker"? Okay, I appreciate that the frequency of one's attacks makes a difference, but I do think many of us are guilty of posting things that, if we really thought long and hard about them, we'd see are not particularly suitable or worthwhile. For instance, one member who is a big Brosnan fan and who has expressed annoyance at the attacks on Brosnan is responsible for a not inconsiderable amount of "Dalton-bashing". And then there's the Benson-bashing, the P&W-mangling, the Tamahori-thwacking.... there's a lot of it about. And should there not be? I mean: let a hundred flowers bloom, and all that. Sometimes the liveliest threads and most interesting discussions have emerged from vicious attacks on Bond personnel.

Still, I know where Brosnan fans are coming from on this one, and I'm sorry for any offence I have caused.

#71 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:28 PM

There is a huge difference in saying...

ex1: "Brosnan sucks"
and/or
ex2: "I think Brosnan sucks"

ex1: "Brosnan Sucks" can be taken as a direct attack at anyone who happens like Brosnan. In an indirect way it's saying "Brosnan sucks, you're an idiot for liking him."

Where as ex2: "I think Brosnan sucks." shows that it's your opinion and it indirectly acknowledges that there are others that think quite differently.

I don't approve of the bashing of anyone on these boards. But here's a thought... ex1 is Bashing... ex2 is just stating an opinion. I'm guilty too of not thinking about my wording. But just to throw this out here Bashing can be taken personally by those who like he one being bashed.

Thank you, Loomis. Just to let you know I wasn't directly speekin to or about you :) But thank you very much for chatting with me about this.

#72 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:39 PM

This is not to Loomis, but to the general "X sucks" posters.

And I don't even mind the occasional "Brosnan sucks." It's like the Ain't It Cool talkbackers. Sometimes these one liners are a hoot. But it's when the same person posts "Brosnan (or Dalton, or Benson, or P&W) sucks" in ever single thread on the subject that it all starts to be a massive turn off. Use judgment for crying out loud. Save it for a thread that seeks an opinion on that topic and let the fans be fans in their own space. Unless, of course, you get a kick out of being the odd-man-out or a loudmouth in a room in which case I could just care less about your opinion because then it's not an opinion but a disruption.

#73 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:43 PM

[quote name='Athena007' date='17 March 2004 - 21:38'] I was looking up at him; he

#74 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:44 PM

This is not to Loomis, but to the general "X sucks" posters.

Well, cheers, zen, but, actually, I think it should be partly for me, and I am taking it on board. :)

#75 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:55 PM

[quote name='Double-Oh-Zero' date='18 March 2004 - 15:43'] [quote name='Athena007' date='17 March 2004 - 21:38'] I was looking up at him; he

#76 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 08:08 AM

Also I think on-top of that I was looking up to him like a child would a parent

Fascinating, psychologically. The use of subcsonscious metaphor (or is it similie? I never do care to remember).

This is a James Bond site, not a Pierce Brosnan site. For myself, I am more interested in the character than those who play it.

Why must those of us who do not value his tenure as James Bond and believe it to be of greater detriment than it is a benefit to the character of James Bond, not be able to express such views? If as a result of such views being expressed on a James Bond site some members find themselves barred from "Pierce Brosnan sites", that says more about the supervisors of such sites and their rather narrow perceptions of what CBn is for, than it does about any individual member here.

Those who advocate one to broaden one's mind in re: Mr Brosnan fail to appreciate that if one's mind stretched broader, there is an equal chance of disliking him more as well as respecting him more. With the exhortation to "open one's mind", what the exhorter invariably means is "see things my way [stamps feet childishly]."

I fail to be so overwhelmed by the rancid concept of celebrity that "getting close" to a person whose performances I pay to watch would result in "wow, you got to be that close to [it]". They're just people, you know. Having bought their performance via my cinema ticket and/or DVD purchase, am I not entitled to express a lack of value for money?

why the hell am I sharing this with these people who don't appreciate it (which is why I took the pic off the boards). Now this isn't an issue about me (and it's not that I think he's reading these boards and I don't want him to see things like that), it's just that this happened to really bring my attention closer to the fact that there seems to be a lot of it going on and it's a potential turn off to coming here and sharing/interacting on the boards.

Some folks don't like him, be it on a personal basis or as a result of his performances. Is there a danger of mistaking fascination with his celebrity for fascination with his actual personality? Pierce Brosnan the celebrity commodity or Pierce Brosnan the person? He is not above the character, which is what this website is about. You would get a different reaction were you to post it on a "Pierce Brosnan" site. You would get a different reaction were you to post it on a Labrador fanciers site, or a site for people who lick paper. Celebrate the world's diverse opinion; don't seek to stamp down. That way leads revolution and greater mistrust than if all, of any view, think their view of something will be equally valued - and that cuts both ways.

"You're entitled to any opinion as long as it is mine" is not an attractive place to be.

#77 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:40 PM

Also I think on-top of that I was looking up to him like a child would a parent

Fascinating, psychologically. The use of subcsonscious metaphor (or is it similie? I never do care to remember).

Actually... that wasn't said subconsciously. I meant that. :)
(long story, something I won't get into on the boards)

"You're entitled to any opinion as long as it is mine" is not an attractive place to be.

THAT is certainly NOT what I was saying. Re-read everything I said in my above posts... I believe I explaned quite well (ZenCat did too). Loomis & Double-Oh-Zero understood what I was saying (I gather from what they wrote back). If you care at all re-read. If not, you certainly don't have to re-read.

I am a Bond fan AND a Pierce admirer... and in part of the Bond world my "fandom" crosses over.

#78 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:41 PM

I think the main problem is when it gets excessive. :)

#79 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:16 PM

I think the main problem is when it gets excessive. :)

Yes, and when fellow members make their irritation plain. CBn ain't the real world, but it is like the real world insofar as we must occasionally compromise and watch our Ps and Qs. No one's trying to stifle debate. Anyway.... where was I? Oh, yes: "Today's posts". :)

*Loomis makes a sharp exit.* :)

#80 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:49 PM

Hmmm...

I'm beginning to think my girlfriend is falling for another man...

You know what?

Pierce sucks! :)

:) :)

It was actually a real treat to stand back and watch little Athena inch her way closer and closer to him. I couldn't believe I was seeing the two of them in the same eyeful. And it was all chaos around him, people shoving things toward him to sign...and Athena was just standing there absolutely still, starring up at him, waiting for her moment.

Her moment, btw, brought the house down. The crowd laughed and then applauded when Pierce gave her his Clark Gable face. I think they were also applauding Athena

#81 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:19 PM

Hmmm...

You know what?

Pierce sucks! :)

*falls out of chair laughing*

#82 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:41 PM

THAT is certainly NOT what I was saying. Re-read everything I said in my above posts... I believe I explaned quite well (ZenCat did too). Loomis & Double-Oh-Zero understood what I was saying (I gather from what they wrote back). If you care at all re-read. If not, you certainly don't have to re-read.

Oh, keep the toys in the perambulator; do accept that you can be disagreed with, and people might think you wrong.

If you care to re-read mine, there's no suggestion that you certainly said that, either.

So, actually, we agree. Hurrah!

#83 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:47 PM

Oh, keep the toys in the perambulator; do accept that you can be disagreed with, and people might think you wrong.

To quote something I said earlyer in this thread: "I'm just so tired of the Pierce bashing, I mean like ok there are a number of people on here don't care for him at all... but that doesn't require bashing?" So I've already done what you stated above. (not meaning to sound rude)

Also debate and arguments about Brosnan are not part of the bashing I speak of. It's when things get petty (insulting) that I feel there's a problem. And this goes for talking about anyone, not just Brosnan.

#84 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:55 PM

Depends how one defines the term "bashing", really. Might one be less tolerant of [comment a] if directed against PB than if [comment a], the same words or of similar nature, were to be directed against someone else. One [wo]man's bashing is another [wo]man's gentle shove. I appreciate that this is not straightforward. All I ask is that no-one should be labelled a "basher" if that term remains undefined and wielded by the hands of the less than objective.

This is no personal attack. And I don't see any solution. So, not very helpful there, then. Par for the course, frankly.

#85 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:56 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='19 March 2004 - 08:49'] Hmmm...
You know what?
Pierce sucks!

#86 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 06:41 PM

Oh the "bouncer" guy was a jerk. He was saying things like "If you take a picture, I'll take your camera!" etc.

He was a wanker.

When I heard him say that, I sized him up.

He was big, but favoring his left knee. Sports injury possibly.

I was ready take him and toss your camera to you Athena. I had your back. :)

"You know what they say about zombies...Strong as Hell, but lousy equalibrium."

#87 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:38 PM

Well, thankfully violence wasn't necessary... even though you had my back, if he would have touched me or my camera (ZenCat would have jumped in too, I

#88 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:40 PM

You know, I really like seeing Americans using the word "wanker". :) Has it caught on over there? :)

#89 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:42 PM

Glad to amuze you :)

Wanker?... hum, well although the "action" is all over the place :) ...no, the usage of the word is almost nonexistent.

#90 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:44 PM

no, the usage of the word is almost nonexistent.

Right, that's what I thought. I always imagined I could say to someone in Jerkwater, Tennessee: "So-and-so's a wanker", and he'd reply: "Gee, that's swell." :)