66 replies to this topic

#1 Panavision

Panavision

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:54 PM

Anyone ever seen the rare 2:35min Moonraker teaser trailer?

A teaser trailer that Maurice Binder created for Moonraker. It pretends to be an ordinary advert where you have to guess the product. It starts off with a slow motion clip of Corinne Clery running through the woods, and the voiceover (by Patrick Allen) says "Shampoo, for that lovely outdoor girl look? Just could be..." Then it cuts to Hugo Drax's dogs pouncing on her, and the voiceover says "Dog food?!" Then it goes on to suggest it's a watch advert, and an airline advert, before revealing it's the new Bond film, and launching into a proper trailer.

Hoping to get a copy of it from a source...soon.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:57 PM

I don't think I have. Very interesting, what source are you talking about?

#3 Panavision

Panavision

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 08:10 PM

Here are some screen grabs:

Posted Image

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 08:16 PM

That is indeed very interesting!

#5 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 08:54 PM

I wonder why that wasn't on the DVD. In fact, for a movie that got the hype that MR did, the DVD is pretty sparse with no TV or radio spots, just the one trailer aside from the commentaries, documentary and the photo gallery.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:02 PM

I was just thinking that Turn, having watched Moonraker today. It's one of my favorites, yet there is VERY little on the DVD. :)

One hopes that problem is rectified with the release of the 2005 DVD's.

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:11 PM

I'd be very interested in seeing this.

I find it dissappointing that the DVDs aren't definitive and don't include everything such as all the trailers.

#8 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:28 PM

Having worked on the DVDs I can tell you that there are various reasons why stuff wasn't included.

Trailers, TV Spots, and the like were never kept by the studios - once a film was done they tossed stuff like that out.

And MGM/UA aren't the only ones who are guilty of such offenses.

I supplied some of the material on the OHMSS DVD from my 16mm collection, and I know another fan did as well - they have to go to the collector community to get such goodies.

I just read an article in the USA Today about Gilligan's Island DVDs - there is a bit in there about the Dick Van Dyke show producer who went on eBay to find 16mm material that will appear on the DVDs - it is so lame but that is what they have to do since the studios didn't keep the stuff.

http://www.usatoday....6-tv-dvds_x.htm

So, yes I agree with you that it sucks that Moonraker doesn't have a shuttle load of trailers and tv spots - but I am tired of people assuming that these things are just sitting on a shelf at the studio and no one bothered to put them on the DVD.

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:37 PM

Anyone ever seen the rare 2:35min Moonraker teaser trailer?

A teaser trailer that Maurice Binder created for Moonraker. It pretends to be an ordinary advert where you have to guess the product. It starts off with a slow motion clip of Corinne Clery running through the woods, and the voiceover (by Patrick Allen) says "Shampoo, for that lovely outdoor girl look? Just could be..." Then it cuts to Hugo Drax's dogs pouncing on her, and the voiceover says "Dog food?!" Then it goes on to suggest it's a watch advert, and an airline advert, before revealing it's the new Bond film, and launching into a proper trailer.

Yes, I remember this trailer. It was on a British VHS tape I bought, oh, 20 years or so ago (it passed out of my possession long ago and I can't remember the title or the distributor) that contained all the Bond trailers up to maybe FOR YOUR EYES ONLY or OCTOPUSSY. A very stylish piece of work, it's always stuck in my memory - I seem to recall "Sometimes they'll promise you the moon" being among the narrator's mysterious, attention-grabbing lines near the beginning.

#10 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 10:05 PM

This looks fun. Reminds me of the (also not on the DVD) LTK TV spot about not having a licence to do such and such, but he does have a LTK.

It's a shame doublenaught, that they throw this stuff away, but you can understand it. If they kept every little trinket so the drooling fan would be appeased they would have no room anymore.
Also, it makes collecting stuff like this much, much more fun.

However, you have to wonder how much really IS lost and how much is just well hidden. Bruce Lee's "Game OF Death" origional footage was thought lost for almost 3 decades and then turned up in some far corner of a storage bunker.

Probably no hope for a TV spot, but those missing master tapes for the OSTs...

#11 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 01:52 AM

Here are some screen grabs:

Posted Image

quite interesting... :)

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:15 AM

VERY cool. I don't think I've ever seen this trailer.

In defense of the DVD, I think the documentary on it is tops. Love all the behind the scenes footage and the story of the boat that got stuck on the lip of the falls. I'm amazed that this was REAL. They really sent a boat over the falls.

#13 The Silver Beast

The Silver Beast

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:53 AM

When people talk about Moonraker, rarely do they mention this dog attack scene. For a movie that gets ribbed for being too silly, this dog attack scene is one of the most violent and intense "sacrificial lamb" scenes in the whole of Bond history (it's also one of the most stylish). Moonraker is filled with some really great Bond moments. I love it! In fact, it's my favorite Bond movie (the week :)).

Edited by The Silver Beast, 19 February 2004 - 02:53 AM.

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:54 AM

It's a great scene Silver Beast, I know a lot of members here on CBn have praised it, myself included. :)

#15 The Silver Beast

The Silver Beast

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:59 AM

It's a great scene Silver Beast, I know a lot of members here on CBn have praised it, myself included. :)

Thanks Qwerty.

I'm glad to finally find a place where I can express my Moonraker love without getting the old, you know, "Moonraker was just a reaction to Star Wars" blah, blah, blah. I even like Dolly! :)

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 03:02 AM

Silver Beast, it's my 2nd fav Bond film! :) :)

#17 Panavision

Panavision

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 11:11 AM

I have the audio track of the trailer now :) I'll post tonight.

#18 spectre37

spectre37

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 11:40 AM

The trailer in question plus about 75 others including double bill trailers etc are on a fan made trailer complination that i bought about 10 years ago at a film fair in Basildon Essex.A second tape contained about the same number of secret agent/spy trailers.

#19 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:41 PM

I really like that trailer too and remember it vividly at the cinema - it was just so different to all the others. I remember speaking to Maurice Binder about it as I used to own it myself on VHS when it was used on a tape of all the trailers up to MR. It turned out to be a pirate copy and I believe Maurice got it withdrawn. This is strange as I understood all trailers were not subject to the usual studio copyrights etc - which is why you do see so many compilation tapes. Things may have changed but this sort of backs up why studios don't keep them - they don't own them and never needed to use them again. If only someone had the foresight back then to see that old material could be used on Special Edition DVD's and the like. The trailer making aspect of Maurice Binder's career is not as widely known as it should be. Perhaps I should update my site to include some stuff on this side his talent too! There are many trailers he did that are absent from the DVD's - an alternate OHMSS one that appeared on the VHS edition is quite different from what we get on the DVD.

#20 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:43 PM

So, Moonraker is considered a James Bond film....ok.....

#21 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:54 PM

I haven't seen this trailer either, but I sure would like to.... Is anyone feel like putting it up on the net someplace????

#22 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:42 PM

I used to own it myself on VHS when it was used on a tape of all the trailers up to MR. It turned out to be a pirate copy and I believe Maurice got it withdrawn.

I think that's the same VHS tape I used to own, RG - come to think of it, it only went as far as MOONRAKER, not FOR YOUR EYES ONLY/OCTOPUSSY.

#23 Panavision

Panavision

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:48 PM

This is the audio:

Rare Moonraker teaser audio only

Might get the visuals soonish.

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:53 PM

Very, very cool Panavision! :)

#25 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:56 PM

Great! Can't await to watch that thing.

#26 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:15 PM

VERY cool. I don't think I've ever seen this trailer.

In defense of the DVD, I think the documentary on it is tops. Love all the behind the scenes footage and the story of the boat that got stuck on the lip of the falls. I'm amazed that this was REAL. They really sent a boat over the falls.

Don't know whether you read Cinefex, the superb SFX landscape magazine, but there was an article devoted to Bond where Richardson recounted that episode of his life.

It's a good read if you can pick it up.

#27 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:20 PM

Having worked on the DVDs I can tell you that there are various reasons why stuff wasn't included.

Trailers, TV Spots, and the like were never kept by the studios - once a film was done they tossed stuff like that out.

And MGM/UA aren't the only ones who are guilty of such offenses.

I supplied some of the material on the OHMSS DVD from my 16mm collection, and I know another fan did as well - they have to go to the collector community to get such goodies.

I just read an article in the USA Today about Gilligan's Island DVDs - there is a bit in there about the Dick Van Dyke show producer who went on eBay to find 16mm material that will appear on the DVDs - it is so lame but that is what they have to do since the studios didn't keep the stuff.

http://www.usatoday....6-tv-dvds_x.htm

So, yes I agree with you that it sucks that Moonraker doesn't have a shuttle load of trailers and tv spots - but I am tired of people assuming that these things are just sitting on a shelf at the studio and no one bothered to put them on the DVD.

Thanks for enlightening us on the specifics. I just found it curious that a lot of the older films such as OHMSS and such had TV spots and MR didn't, especially since it is newer. I assumed much of this came from EON's archives rather than the studio.

I did see the thing about the television shows, which makes sense considering a lot of people back then probably didn't think anybody would be watching these shows 40 years later. Not as bad as what the BBC did to their archives, though.

#28 J J

J J

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 09:26 AM

Maybe for the bonusmaterials for the next DVD reissues, they should have a look at eBay: that's where I bought a 35mm copy of this MOONRAKER trailer some two years ago... cost me $15,00 :)

#29 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:49 PM

I remember some one saying for the very, very first DVD release for Moonraker (the THX approved one) that this trailer was on that DVD. So if you can track that one down, it could be worth it.

#30 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:00 PM

I shall keep a look out for it.