38 replies to this topic

#1 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 May 2001 - 05:48 PM

With only 18 months before Bond 20 is supposed to be released, they have announced next to nothing about it.

No director, no co-stars, nothing.

If they are going to get a director the caliber of a John McTiernan (who I'm sure Pierce Brosnan would love to work with) they are going to have to sign him pretty quickly or else they will be relegated to a 2nd or 3rd tier director (Renny Harlin anyone?).

They are going to need to sign the actors pretty soon as well to make sure they can get who they want without any scheduling conflicts.

Maybe they're working on it, but if they can't get these contracts signed within the next 3 months or so they are going to lose out on some great talent.

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 01:59 PM

Interesting that two of you start talking of Noyce. That's not a clue btw. I just highlights that he'd be your preffered director (I think).

Anyhow, I don't know his schedule. I know he turned down the 5th Jack Ryan movie to do another film. I can't even think of the title off my head, it's not common. And I wasn't researching him for Bond 20 news, sorry. I was researching Ben Afflek.

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 07:14 AM

That'd be Fred Schepisi. Top director but not usually of action ( but then neither was Michael Apted). I think Roger Donaldson (who worked well with Brosnan in that volcano thing) is a New Zealander.
My money's on Phil Noyce.

#4 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 June 2001 - 05:06 AM

Puhleeeeeze....tell us who the director is!
Actually the choice of director may be the most significant ingredient in Bond 20 (other than Brosnan as 007).

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 July 2001 - 11:26 PM

Lost In Space was a bit of a misfire. It was just very well advertised hence it brought in the money.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 10:49 AM

I may have some major news on this soon. An insider has written to me. I'll work out what I can and can't print and get back to you guys. I have two names :)

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 23 May 2001 - 11:11 PM

F I G J A M

I've got you a nice little timeline. I've been Googling all over the place reading old press releases. Here's what I've found. We can easily compare this to Bond 20 release schedule.

One thing that has struck me is that EON sign people up but never announce it! They've announced most everyone about a month (even not at all sometimes) before filming!

Now the first two dates I think are wrong. That's what the site had them dated as but it's far too early, so I really think it's mean to be 1999 and not 1998!

So here's the timeline ©opyright me :)

January 8, 1998 Robert Carlyle confirmed as Renard
January 11, 1998 Denise Van Outen rumoured as Bond girl!
August 13, 1998 Revealed that Serena Scott-Thomas would play Dr. Warmflash, but not officially revealed
October 20, 1998 Vinne Jones considered for role of Renard
December 9, 1998 Denise Richards confirmed as Christmas Jones
December 11, 1998 Sophie Marceau confirmed as Elektra
Devember 17, 1998 The late Desmond Llwellyn cofirmed as Q
January 15, 1999 John Cleese confirmed as 'R'.
January 17, 1999 Claude-Oliver Rudolph revealed as Colonel Arkakievich, but not officially
February 1, 1999 Danish newspaper reveals Ulrich Thomsen would play Elektra's head of security
February 14, 1999 Revealed that Michael Apted would direct Bond 19, but not officially revealed
April 1, 1999 Maria Grazia Cuccinotta confirmed as the "Cigar Girl"
April 7, 1999 'The Big Breakfast' got their hands on footage which confirmed Goldie would appear in Bond 19

#8 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 29 May 2001 - 05:41 PM

I sure hope that the story about MGM pushing for the Rush Hour director are NOT true. That would be pathetic.

Here's hoping that Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli tell MGM what they can do with themselves (if that report has even a grain of truth to it).

Bond is NOT an urban hip-hop style action hero.

This is what happens when you don't line up a guy like John McTiernan early. I know they probably haven't considered him, but they should. Getting him would quiet the people at MGM. You can't argue with a director of that caliber - and he would get the style right for a Bond film.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.....

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 23 May 2001 - 11:13 PM

Just thought I'd mention this. I didn't cover the news of TWINE, but I did watch it closely. From memory EON just issues one huge press release at the end and lets all the news agencies do all the work!

#10 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 24 May 2001 - 06:07 AM

McTiernan may not be under consideration (although that is a BIG mistake), but if they want a top notch director, they need to sign him asap - those guys have their projects set up months, and sometimes YEARS in advance. If they wait, then we will not get an experienced first rate director. If they're going to do that then they should just hire John Glen.

Actors schedules are set up months in advance as well, so since filming should start in about 10 months or so they better figure out who they want and what they're willing to pay pretty quick.

As you say though, there is probably a lot more going on behind the scenes than most of us know. It's just kind of frustrating hoping for first rate actors and a top notch director and getting the second tier each time (even if the results are usually pretty darned good).

#11 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 May 2001 - 01:16 PM

If TWINE is anything to go by we may know the director's name by august, the 1st draft script maybe floating around the internet by october/november, and principal casting announced in december.

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 May 2001 - 11:16 PM

It's a possibility. However, I'm guessing it's a newsagency that have absolutely nothing better to print rather than crap they've made up.

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 24 May 2001 - 07:05 AM

Well it's my belief that if they haven't signed someone up already they aren't that far off!

#14 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 24 May 2001 - 05:26 PM

Are we going to be happy with the directorial choice?

Will we be happy with the cast (particularly the villain)?

I didn't particularly like the cast in TWINE. (Sophie Marceau was good, but Robert Carlyle seemed out of place in a Bond film, and don't get me started on Denise Richards....)

I really hope that we see a really good director - if they aren't going to get a top notch director, I'm serious about them hiring John Glen for one more Bond film. Don't just go with some guy who had one good movie.

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 May 2001 - 02:11 AM

I think we'd be happy with the director. They're not Oscar winners but they aren't nobodies either.

#16 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 May 2001 - 09:58 PM

That's right Nexus. Boy I can't wait for the script :)

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 23 May 2001 - 10:45 PM

You've got some excellent points there B5Erik. Here's what I can tell you without getting myself into trouble okay :) Some of this news is yet to be printed!!

There is no director involved. They are actually trying to secure one of a few directors, all with excellent past CV's. To the best of my knowledge McTiernan is not one of these people.

They are also looking for co-stars. Some of your regulars (Dame Judi etc...) have already signed up. But few have been confirmed officially even though they've signed on the dotted line. As for major stars such as the Bond girl they are definetly looking!

For less major roles they've got a good 6 months.

I'll try and find out when they signed someone like Denise Richards for TWINE and work out a time line!

#18 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 May 2001 - 11:11 AM

I'm sure he has been considered.

#19 007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2001 - 07:10 PM

What do we have?.....I found a picture.......It's a bit crap though!

#20 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 10:09 AM

White Persian (11 Jun, 2001 08:14 a.m.):
That'd be Fred Schepisi. Top director but not usually of action ( but then neither was Michael Apted). I think Roger Donaldson (who worked well with Brosnan in that volcano thing) is a New Zealander.
My money's on Phil Noyce.

Noyce would be an interesting choice...does he have the time to direct Bond 20 ?.

#21 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 04:49 AM

Yes after some research I will have some major news. And boy is one of the suggestions quite a good director. Has done two major films that did really well at the box office. :)

#22 WhitePersian

WhitePersian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 July 2001 - 10:16 PM

Huh?

#23 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 10:10 PM

Here's a clue: Find out the surname to Nexus' "Fred" and I'll tell you if it's one of the three :)

Oh and there's a new rumour (I'll post the news soon) out there. But my sources indicate it's not 100% true.

#24 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 July 2001 - 05:43 AM

huh is right. I'm guessing though 007 is referring to the MGM picture that came out not so long ago.

#25 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 30 May 2001 - 12:16 PM

B5Erik (29 May, 2001 06:41 p.m.):
I sure hope that the story about MGM pushing for the Rush Hour director are NOT true. That would be pathetic.

...Bond is NOT an urban hip-hop style action hero.

Don't worry guys, this rumour is probably crap invented by morons in hollywood who hate 007 films and will say anything to try and saboutage EON.

#26 WhitePersian

WhitePersian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 July 2001 - 06:05 AM

Aah!

By the way, any news you can release yet about shortlisted directors. This Australian guy has me intrigued.

#27 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 July 2001 - 06:13 AM

Well there are movings and happenings with the director. A spy report e-mailed to me (though unconfirmed) stated that the director has already signed on the dotted line.

The Australian director is a popular and good one. But unfortunately I can't reveal any names just yet, sorry.

As far as I know we're expecting an announcement in August!

#28 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 June 2001 - 10:38 PM

So no one is going to beg to ask me who the director will be?

#29 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 06:47 AM

Daniel - any insight as to why Eon hasn't used McTiernan?

I've read that they want control over the direction and that many directors don't want to work under those conditions. If that's true, they could rest assured that McTiernan would get the style right and treat Bond with respect. He's one guy they could afford to give total directorial control to and not have to worry about whether or not it would fit in with the traditional Bond style.

Can you imagine the hype surrounding a Bond movie directed by John McTiernan? He's the guy who directed Die Hard, The Hunt For Red October, Predator, The Thomas Crown Affair, and several other great movies. Attaching him to the movie would be good for another 25-50 million dollars in ticket sales worldwide beyond what the film would do otherwise.

#30 Golden_Guy_007

Golden_Guy_007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 05:19 PM

John McTiernan seems like the perfect choice for a Bond movie. (I don't know why in previous years, they haven't even used actual directors, just EON people - Roger Spottiswoode, case in point)