78 replies to this topic

#1 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:03 AM

Recently I have been gripped by fan fiction. Mainly thanks to Jim's excellent Just Another Kill, I've downloaded all the pieces from this site. The quality is astounding. Every single pieces reads as though it was written by Fleming himself and in that excellent PDF format with cover art and all, it really takes the Fan Fiction experience to the next level.

Anyway, what I was really wondering was what we can expect in the upcoming year. Do Mr. Asterix, Clinkeroo, Xen or Jim have any other projects lined up? Is zencat going to have another bash at a treatment? Are any other members currently working on fan fiction that they hope to have released by next year?

What can we expect?

#2 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:42 AM

All my "projects" (007 and other) are all "art" related. I may release some on the CBn boards.

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 02:21 AM

My sequal is taking longer than I thought it would, mostly because I just can't get excited about the plot. Hopefully, one will hit me in the head sooner or later, and I will be able to get going again.

Have you read my fanfic Tanger?

-- Xen

#4 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 08:35 AM

Yes, Tanger, I will be publishing my fanfic in 2004. I can't tell you when yet, it may be Christmas 2004 - but definitely 2004. I'm hoping for a Spring/Summer release.

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:17 PM

I've read the first Chapter Xen. It's a very original idea to have a James Bond novel without Bond as the main character but his female opposite instead. I definitely intend to read the main pieces that have been released properly through the site (Mightier Than the Sword, Heaven Isn't Too Far Away, From Death's Door, Just Another Kill) and any others in the forums that take my fancy.

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:54 PM

Hopefully I can get back to my fanfic again and get some serious work done on it.

#7 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:01 PM

I'm tinkering with "A Shot in the Dark" - a short-story set 18 months before GoldenEye that explains how Bond gave Zukovsky his limp (and took his car and girl). I'm working in several nice little references and in-jokes for the fans, but I've still got the last third of the story to write.

I know other people are also working on Zukovsky stories, though, so we'll have to say that each takes place in a different reality or something. :)

I hope to have it finished within the next couple of months, time permitting.

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:13 PM

Sounds interesting Double-O Six my fanfic deals with a James Bond in the Royal Navy before he entered the British secret service.

Of course this is one Naval officer who will become involved in saving the world from destruction. :)

#9 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:14 PM

I've been working on a feature length Bond novel that uses some elements on the concepts of Kingsley Amis as featured on 007forever. And some winks at the great Bond novel that never was, Per Fine Ounce.

It will be strict work though; I don't want to mess it up. The goal is to keep it as literary Bond as possible. Not to mention I won't release it until it is absolutely as perfect as it can be, which mean many re-writes and hopefully, one of our senior Bonds enthusiast will be an editor.

I can't and won't tell you any more about it, but I can say it starts off with Bond on a navy vessel chasing after gold smugglers in the Atlantic Ocean.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:14 PM

Alright, I'll finally talk. I have actually written three previous Bond fanfics, but have never put them on CBn and I've rarely spoken about them. Yes, I can be shy.

Perhaps, sometimes in 2004, I'll put them up. I actually have to load them up to my new computer.

Here's what I've done so far:

-Beyond The Limits
-Octopussy (An Original Adaption)
-Echo Of The Emeralds

One that I am working on right now, is an unused Fleming title that I could really do some good work on: My Enemy's Enemy

That's all for now. :)

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Icephoenix

I can't and won't tell you any more about it, but I can say it starts off with Bond on a navy vessel chasing after gold smugglers in the Atlantic Ocean.

Sounds a little more Dirk Pitt than James Bond, but I'd be interested in reading it. :)

How does one go about placing fanfic on CBN? Do we simply post them in a forum?

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:53 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

How does one go about placing fanfic on CBN? Do we simply post them in a forum?

DLibrasnow, I'm pretty sure that you can start your own thread for your fanfic in the 'Fan Fiction' section where only the original author (which in this case, you) would be able to reply and keep working on the novel. Then in the 'Fan Fiction discussion' section, you can start threads to see what people think of it and such.

I hope this helps. :)

#13 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Tanger
I've read the first Chapter Xen. It's a very original idea to have a James Bond novel without Bond as the main character but his female opposite instead.

Ooh.. then you'll like my fic...

I HOPE...

:)

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Qwerty....in this case I will post the chapters of my fanfic that I have already completed. It would be interesting to see what comments people will have.

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:00 PM

Sure. :) I'd be very interested to read it!

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:20 PM

It deals with secrets and Bond searching for the truth to a mystery that has haunted him since childhood. I had Xenobia read the prelude and she had some very helpful suggestions.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:22 PM

Sounds good! Have a title yet, or do you not want to release the title yet?

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:27 PM

I was thinking about "Dead men tell no secrets" or "Whispers from the Past" but the title is something I am still working on.

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:29 PM

Ah. Yes, when I did my first few fanfics, I couldn't believe how hard it was to come up with titles.

I really like 'Whispers From The Past'. Very interesting! :)

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:35 PM

It really is challenging because you want something mysterious, original and provocative. The easiest way out is to have a villain with an unusual name but in my fanfic you are not supposed to really know who the main villain is until the final few chapeters.

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:47 PM

Yes. I actually think ti would be harder for me to come up with a good villain's name that would be good enough to be the title of my fanfic, if it's not perfect, then I probably wouldn't use it. The villains are key ingredients in my fanfics, and I try to make them as realistic as possible.

I've somewhat kept one of my villains anonymous in my one fanfic: Echo Of The Emeralds.

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 05:21 PM

The villains do take a lot of work but they are a lot of fun to write.....I try to go over the top with the minor villains but make the main villain realistic.

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 05:44 PM

Yes, I try to go over the top with many characters! What can I say, I get a new character, and I just get eccentric, although I haven't pulled out the big guns yet, so to speak, I'm saving the real treat for a later fanfic which will take a long time to write, I imagine.

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 05:53 PM

It's a Bond novel -- you can get away with going over the top! :)

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 05:54 PM

Yes, and in that one coming up...I plan to go loose!

Bond- Excitement, action, adventure and intrigue at it's finest!

#26 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 06:05 PM

I find action the most difficult to write so I am trying to put the emphasis on the actual intrigue and (although Bond is a Royal Navy officer in my fanfic) spying. I want Bond to actual act more like a spy than he does when he is actually employed later as a spy.

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 06:08 PM

Ah. That's interesting, and I also find actionquite toiling sometimes, because it's very difficult to come up with new great action scenes.

On my third fanfic: Echo Of The Emeralds, it was comprised of three short stories of mine, and I never realized how hard it would be to write the action for them. Let's just say it was a difficult experience, and I'll still with regular fanfaics for a while. :)

#28 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Qwerty
Ah. That's interesting, and I also find actionquite toiling sometimes, because it's very difficult to come up with new great action scenes.  

On my third fanfic: Echo Of The Emeralds, it was comprised of three short stories of mine, and I never realized how hard it would be to write the action for them. Let's just say it was a difficult experience, and I'll still with regular fanfaics for a while. :)

If I have a strength I would say it is probably writing dialogue and putting together some rich detailed passages. All the action scenes in my fanfoc are very small scale although I have been toying with an idea of Bond being introduced in battle.

#29 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 06:53 PM

Yes, I like doing the introductions of characters and the plots. It's the endings that I do constant rewrites of over and over again. The conclusiopn in my mind, should really sum up the book and nothing less than the best you can do should be accepted.

#30 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 07:28 PM

I am a particular fan of throwing a real twist in at the end of the book. Something that makes people sit up and take notice. I like to pull the rug out from under the reader at times.