#121 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Jriv71
No.  No inferiority issues there.  The Dr. truly hates us, and feels in no way inferior.  On the contrary, The Dr. knows that they're better than us, and doesn't mind telling us so.

'Cos if it you think it comes off any other way, you're crazy.

Oh yeah, how silly of me....let's all bow down before him.

#122 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:40 PM

I think a more fitting fate would be to simply put him away for the rest of his life. It wiould also be a nice bit of irony as he would spend the rest of his life in the hole, exactly where he thought he could be safe.

#123 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Sensualist
O dear.

So what's everyone's call on the type of movie Bond 21 will be?:)

Obviously Bonds mission will be to destroy the USA for its immoral leadership. :)

#124 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:47 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

Obviously Bonds mission will be to destroy the USA for its immoral leadership. :)

And have his box office sliced and diced by 37 percent? Never!:)

#125 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:49 PM

Well, he understood that at the time, it was better to fight against the Russians, even if it meant siding with the Afghan resistance.

(I know, I know, it's just a movie.)

#126 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:51 PM

O dear.

Thanks, Sens.

#127 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:53 PM

Well, he understood that at the time, it was better to fight against the Russians, even if it meant side with the Afghan resistance.

(I know, I know, it's just a movie.)

Haven't you heard? Osama was really a chap called Kamran Shah who helped James Bond scupper a diamonds-for-drugs-for-arms deal back in 1987.:)

#128 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:56 PM

You mean this was a put-up job?

#129 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:04 PM

You mean this was a put-up job?

:)

There I was at the airport last evening after spending the weekend skiing and pretending to be George Lazenby escaping from Piz Gloria and suddenly I realize i have to put up with THIS.

Didn't you know? ALL this geo-political stuff is just 'filler' to keep us from going batty because of the extra years' wait between Bonds.:)

#130 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:04 PM

I just want to hear you say it, that's all.  If you're not willing to say it, what's the point of your rant?

I think the point of this rant is to expose the apparent hypocrisy (and perceived arrogance)of our nation, in lieu of it's post-WWII political actions, dealing with despots, dictators and drug dealers in order to secure "our" way of life.

Quite frankly, every nation has it's misdeeds. One could call Austalia on the carpet for it's treatment of aboriginal peoples, Europe's plundering and destabilization of nations no-longer under their former colonial control, etc.

While personally, I'm surprised and happy over Saddam's capture. I know that won't make for a safe and secure Iraq nor will it make NYC or the rest of the USA and it's citizens totally safe from terrorism. The problem is we're too busy trying to personify terrorism and radical militant Islam as Saddam Husssein(a secular dictator) and Osama Bin Laden(chairman but more of a figurehead of Al Quaeda). Thinking that the capture and/or elimination of these two individuals will solve our problems is misleading. We're dealing with organizations that operate in a more complex manner that we've ever seen. Cutting of the head may prove fruitless if the tentacles are still operational.

In any event. A tyrant's been captured and now seems resigned to his fate. While one would want to take the high ground and imprison Saddam for life- I beleive he will be given back to his people to adminster punishment that they deem appropriate. Many of us on these boards may find that distasteful but I'm still pissed that Pol Pot managed to die in his sleep and Amin virtually escaped justice(via exile) until his death earlier this year.

A dictator's captured. A bombshell to wake up to on a Sunday morning.

#131 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:12 PM

O dear.

It'll be a film that appeals to the folks who saw the last one yet will still fall short of die-hard's expectations!

#132 Prav_007

Prav_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:22 PM

Sure its great to jump for joy since Saddam is finally gone....but to me and many others, Saddam is nothing but a petty thug, Osama is the challenge to find. And I am pretty surprised that Saddam did not put up a fight, shows how much of a coward he is to the Palestinians. He a terrible dictator, but one thing I did admire was I thought he was a fearless dictator and stood up to the west. Unfornately I was proven wrong.

#133 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Robinson

While personally, I'm surprised and happy over Saddam's capture. I know that won't make for a safe and secure Iraq nor will it make NYC or the rest of the USA and it's citizens totally safe from terrorism. The problem is we're too busy trying to personify terrorism and radical militant Islam as Saddam Husssein(a secular dictator) and Osama Bin Laden(chairman but more of a figurehead of Al Quaeda). Thinking that the capture and/or elimination of these two individuals will solve our problems is misleading. We're dealing with organizations that operate in a more complex manner that we've ever seen. Cutting of the head may prove fruitless if the tentacles are still operational.

I would suggest that capturing Saddam might be more significant that capturing Bin Laden. Ccapturing Bin Laden is important, but only for a revenge factor. (Of which I'm a huge fan, by the way.) But Bin Laden would become a martyr, and his followers, who hate us anyway, might be inspired. But capturing Saddam means, that's it, he's not running the show anymore. The old ways in Iraq die with him, but terrorism lives on even if you capture Bin Laden. But it would be a huge help since he handles the funding. So I do hope he's next.

#134 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:32 PM

Originally posted by prav_007
He a terrible dictator, but one thing I did admire was I thought he was a fearless dictator and stood up to the west. Unfornately I was proven wrong.

Terrible is an adjective that usually describes most dictators. These "stand ups" to the west was all show for the Arab world. Post Gulf War, the non-compliance with UN inspectors and challenging the "no-fly" zone were simple measures but by no means effective. Sure, you lose a couple of planes and get the odd Tomahawk missle dropped in an Iraqi city but ultimately, Saddam was tolerated at that time because it was deemed too costly and too difficult to remove him from power.

Now all of those boasts, threats and declarations by Hussein when this conflict started were just wolf tickets being sold to the general Iraqi public. While they were ducking for cover and catching bad one's Saddam was truly in the rear with the gear(and a suitcase full of $$$).

Why he didn't flee the country is beyond me.

#135 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Robinson
Why he didn't flee the country is beyond me.

Perhaps he wanted to run home to mommy?:)

#136 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:09 PM

Bondian:

I appreciate what you are saying and yes, two wrongs do not make a right. However, in this case, I don't think the world will be a worst if Mr. Hussein gets a spray of his own medicine.

Dr. Crane also makes a good point that Hussein could try a proactive defense, and point out all the wrongs of the allies campaign, not as justification for his own actions, but rather to say we all stink and he should be tried by someone who isn't as guilty as he is.

Hitler could have been tried before an international tribunal for no one had done what he had done to such a scale. Hussein's crimes are different, and he would be harder to find such a tribunal, although I am sure it can be done.

Of course the real fun is what to do with him before and after his trials?

-- Xenobia

#137 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Xenobia

Of course the real fun is what to do with him before and after his trials?

-- Xenobia

Drive him insane by presenting him with the 20 James Bond DVDs with-out giving him access to a DVD player?:)

#138 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:20 PM

Drive him insane by presenting him with the 20 James Bond DVDs with-out giving him access to a DVD player?:)

Ooooh... how cruel.

#139 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:21 PM

I would have suggested making him watch Shepard Smith 24/7.

Now that is torture.

-- Xen

#140 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:30 PM

Originally posted by Xenobia
I would have suggested making him watch Shepard Smith 24/7.

Now that is torture.

-- Xen

Yea, but that way he'd merely smash the TV.

My way he'd be dying to see his favourite series of movies and go even more bonkers (to the point of having suicidal tendencies) 'cause he would'nt be able to watch James and Honey and Pussy and Plenty O'toole and Chew Me and XXX and Holly Goodhead and miss Onnatop...:)

#141 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:33 PM

make him watch the Jinx movie. Oh wait it's scrapped. Nevermind. :)

#142 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:38 PM

'cause he would'nt be able to watch ... Honey and Pussy and Plenty O'toole and Chew Me and XXX and Holly Goodhead and miss Onnatop...:)

Wait a minute! From what I hear, he's more a Wint and Kidd and May Day type.:)

#143 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:41 PM

Sorry people. I seem to have turned a rather serious thread into a joke.

Humble apologies.:)

#144 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:14 PM

Dear Jriv

There was a chap, who ended up getting nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to one another for a change, and he said something being very careful about casting the first stone.

That as Robinson very cleverly pointed out - was the point.

And as, he also rightly pointed out, Australia has many faults - unfortunately we also lock up innocent people and have activly engaged in attempted genocide in our history and I am saddened by our part in an escapade which has gone far in destroying the hard one foundations of the UN and completely plunged international relations into a rather disturbing new era.

Sorry I am digressing on intellectual matters - lets get back to the mindless jingoism and the hatred.

Hate America? I have known your lovely Mr Bush Snr for twenty years now.

I will tell you a story...

One of my best friends is an American (he used to work for Clinton).

Recently an ex white house intern was injured in a car accident and he fell into a coma. My friend, being on the ground in Australia, did everything he could for the family and for the boy.

He would ring me up exhausted from spending all day at the hospital or looking after the family (both doctors from Duke). And all this boy's friends from around the world and the white house rallied around him and the family. Clinton and Hillary sent photos to the intensive care unit and when he unfortunately died two weeks later they came to the funeral and aranged for the wake to be held at Ted Danson's house in Martha's vinyard.

My friend ended up going to America with the body and when he came back he was emotionally and physically exhausted.

My friend is a very sweet californian jew boy and one of the nicest people I know.

So you see there are two sides to every coin - and not everything is black and white - especially the rather delecate balance that is international politics. You would be somewhat unwise not to realise that it is made up of many different shades of gray?

Hmmm that reminds me if I hate America so much I better change my signature....

Can any of you patriots tell me what amazingly famous American case the quote 'this is a constitution we are expounding' comes from? And you get bonus points it you can explain why it was so important that it changed constitutional interpretation.

#145 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:26 PM

With all this talk about being for and against revenge, pro/anti US and trying to determine what's "right" and "wrong" to do with Saddam or Osama, when/if he's caught, I was wondering if anyone here subscribes to "Moral Relativism"?

#146 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Felix_Leiter
I was wondering if anyone here subscribes to "Moral Relativism"?

Yep. It's commonly known as having a catalogue of the James Bond movies.:)

You know, where the 'nice' killer uses every means possible to kill the really 'bad' killers. The "least of all evils", etc....:)

#147 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:37 PM

Very clever Sensualist, but you forgot: Then allows himself a moment of angst at the senselessness/horror of it all, but manfully shrugs it off and shags some bird.

#148 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:40 PM

Dear N.C.

Let me re-phrase. Your entire rant was anti-American. Period. I don't care that you know someone who knows the Clintons. Big deal. I don't like the Clintons politically, but I'm sure that personally they're very nice people. The fact remains that just because your friend, whom you admire deeply, is an American, does not make your comments not anti-American.

Which as I said is perfectly acceptable, so long as you admit it. Or realize it.

I know there's plenty of hipocrisy in our legal and justice systems (the ACLU would make sure that Saddam has three squares and cable if he were brought here) but to spend the amount of time you must've spent with two tremendously long (and very well crafted, I might add) laundry lists of our nation's faults, without mentioning your own (and I surely will not cast the first stone in your direction on that score,) indicates alot more than just a ton of free time on your hands.

I'm just saying, right or wrong, as you were in some cases, one 'jew-boy' friend of Ted Danson does not convince me that you're not anti-American. You don't have to. What the Hell do you care what I think, I'm mindless according to you, and I voted for Bush...I'm just telling you what your posts sounded like.

We know our faults, thank you very much. It's like telling a fat guy he's fat.

#149 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Dr Niles Crane
Very clever Sensualist, but you forgot: Then ....manfully shrugs it off and shags some bird.

I'd never forget THAT part, Niles old chum.:)

#150 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:51 PM

Have a clue.  Those pictures were broadcast to quell the notion that we lied about the sons being killed.  I'm sure people like you would have been ready to pounce had we not shown the pictures.  Trying to make the U.S. government seem as bad as, say, Iraq's government, is a bit offensive, but go right ahead, if that's all you can come up with.

Reading through all your posts in this thread Jriv71, you amuse me so.