49 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 03:30 AM

This news will soon go live on our main page so don't forget to read the full article in the Bond 20 News section: http://www.commander...net/?cat=bond20

Casting director Debbie McWilliams has revealed this little trinket of info on Bond 20 locations: "I gather we're going to some far-flung places this time."

Interesting isn't it? So where are some far flung places? Bond usually travels somewhere nice and exotic or mysterious. Plus I'd gather it's somewhere he hasn't been before :)

There are some interesting places that being Australia I could think of and I could definetley see Bond there. Anyone got any ideas of their own?

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 June 2001 - 08:39 AM

That's a bloomin interesting connecting White Persian. I wonder if it will be used as a form of dedication to him. Perhaps not. They may not even include a Q Funeral or anything like that.

But you've got to admit that that castle is a damn good location for a Bond film.

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 04 June 2001 - 08:35 AM

Since Desmond Llewelyn was Welsh, I wonder if Cardiff locations might tie in with a funeral scene for "Q".

#4 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 May 2001 - 11:16 AM

Blue Eyes (02 May, 2001 02:02 p.m.):
You musn't use them too much Nexus otherwise you wouldn't give them away so easily!! lol ;p

Who says I use them too much...I wish I did !!. All this talk about balls might make me want to see THUNDERBALL on video again.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 01:15 PM

007_Fanatic (15 May, 2001 07:12 p.m.):
Tonga or Fiji

We did go to Thailand/Vietnam for TND. Perhaps they're too similair? I guess it's just the way they film it and what they choose to concentrate on.

#6 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 11:36 AM

007_Fanatic (15 May, 2001 07:12 p.m.):
....Jamaica sounds good but the series has been there on many occasions through the years. Australia sounds OK, but funny enough nobody in here has mentioned the South Pacific and the islands surrounding Tonga or Fiji. It's warm there, great location for underwater sequences - and the villain's hideaway could be based on one of the islands in the South Pacific - far away from human population, that's just the thing most villain's want.

Yes I would love to see a desert island location....there's plenty of those around Australia.

#7 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 11:33 AM

Blue Eyes (12 May, 2001 11:37 p.m.):
Just a thought. If McClory's rival James Bond series goes ahead it will have Blofeld having an extensive underground layer in Australia. I wonder if EON would try and beat him to the country by placing Bond 20 there?

I thought McClory lost his battle to make a rival series. He can still remake THUNDERBALL but is the world ready for another remake ?. Perhaps McClory should have a look at my TB sequel scenario TEARS IN THE EYE OF EVIL ?.....there's a knock at my door....oh my....it's McClory !!!.

#8 ENJ

ENJ

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 09:14 AM

Hey dude,

When you say far flung places, it makes me think of Moonraker. Wouldn;'t it be terrible if the did another James Bond in space!!! Sorry guys, but I thought Moonraker was terrible!!!!

I hope they film in Oz. They haven't had any 007 movies related to Australia have they????

What places are you thinking about Daniel???

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 10:17 AM

Funny you should mention space. I Was thinking of that. I was also thinking of Antartica. It seems pretty much "out there"...

In Australia I was thinking of somewhere like the Great Barrier Reef. Beautiful location - though acquiring rights to film may be hard. But there are other more obscure places around the place that would be fantastic to film. For instance take the Dandenong Ranges (not far from my house). Beautiful dense bush location and it has a variety of natures. For instance a little closer to Upwey it's rugged busy but go into Healsville (20 minute drive) and it's almost a rain forest. It really is a Bond location. In fact Star Wars Director George Lucas personally visited the site when he was scouting for outside locations for Episode II.

Any other thoughts anyone?

#10 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 May 2001 - 12:31 PM

White Persian (28 May, 2001 08:38 a.m.):
There have been Australian location rumours for the last ten years - especially in the lead up to the Olympics. One extra thing in its favour might be that Brosnan has family here (in Sydney).
Wouldn't it be nice if the "Dikko" Henderson character could make an appearence - the Fleming version, not the Charles Gray character with the same surname. It'd be a nice role for Rod Taylor or Jack Thompson (or even George Lazenby?).

I would love to see the "Dikko" Henderson character from the YOLT novel. His full name is Richard (after author Richard Hughes) Lovelace Henderson: what a name !. George Lazenby could fit the bill...and what about Paul Hogan ?.

#11 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 08:44 PM

Australia - nice idea chaps. But so soon after M:I-2?

I think EON will be looking for somewhere original, afterall they don't want to be accused of ripping off the Bond-pretender!

All this talk of the title being "Beyond The Ice" (which it won't be) does spring a few ideas into mind though...

Where Bond hasn't been before: Alaska, Canada, Greenland, North/South pole...?

#12 Jacky

Jacky

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2001 - 11:52 AM

Hello Blue Eyes!
Right, as I live in Cardiff - and I can see the Castle from my front window perhaps I should put my two cents in.

When exotic and unusual places were suggested as to the location of Bond 20, Wales certainly never came to mind!

Okay, we've got the Castle, but the most interesting thing to me in the report was the fact that Barbara Broccolli isgoing to see Robbie Williams in concert.

He's playing at the Millenium Stadium and that seems more likely to me to be the location. It's the most advanced stadium in the world; it's got everything, climate control, retractible roof, the whole works.

Perhaps they might set some sequence in there? Perhaps a stunt in the middle of a game?
Whatever.

Coincidentally I'm a journo, so I'm going to go do some digging. I'll report back in as soon as I get something.

By the way, Desmond Llewellyn was Welsh; he came from Newport, just down the road.

I had the pleasure of chatting to him three days before he sadly died.
He was doing a signing session in the local Waterstones and I was covering it. A real gentleman.

Be seeing you.

#13 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 09:33 PM

Actually, EON denied that the title would be "Beyond the Ice".

Dave

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 12:08 AM

Now Philip. Thanks for your post and for your lovely comment. I'm glad you think it's an ace site, we're trying to improve. I hardest job is trying to get people to visit!! :)

Anyways... If Pierce Brosnan wanted to he could demand Ireland be used in a filming location as a part of his contract. That doesn't mean MGM/EON would come to the party but then of course he could quit, whcih means they would. But that's not to say he'd be willing to go so far.

What I'm nto sure of is filming costs in Ireland, taxation wise. I doubt they'd change studios and filming internal/studio scenes from Pinewood. It's just a bit of history they have to keep with, unless they are forced out as they have been before. Do you know if there's any differences in taxes between England and Ireland?

As for Pierce. Unless he gets offered a bloody fantastic role, he'll stick with Bond for a while yet. :)

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 10:52 PM

I dont' think Australia would be too soon after MI2 (that Bond rip off). Simply because Australia is a damn big place. MI2 was centered in Sydney. All we have to do is get Bond to avoid Sydney and a few other cities and go to some exotic location.

#16 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 April 2001 - 04:22 PM

Blue Eyes (23 Apr, 2001 11:52 p.m.):
I dont' think Australia would be too soon after MI2 (that Bond rip off). Simply because Australia is a damn big place. MI2 was centered in Sydney. All we have to do is get Bond to avoid Sydney and a few other cities and go to some exotic location.

Why would they have to avoid Sydney? As far as I can remember, MI-2 didn't show the opera house, and that building in itself has possibilities.

Dave

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 24 April 2001 - 11:58 PM

If you've ever been to Sydney you'd recognise a lot of the buildings and the scenery and the harbour.

#18 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 04:30 AM

How about Africa? That's been hinted at before.

Personally, I'd just like to see him get out of the cold. Think of it- he was in Russia in GoldenEye & TND (teaser), and the Caucasus Mts. in TWINE. No snow in this one, please. Some place tropical would be nice- Mexico, Puerto Rico, some place like that.

Dave

#19 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 10:39 AM

Blue Eyes (26 Apr, 2001 09:57 a.m.):
Hi guys. I've posted an article in the Australian Forums that you may all want to read.

http://forums.comman...TID=11&SID=2917
But it shows that producers have considered Australia, and they consider quite a few things over and over before they use it so who knows!! :)

Keep plugging for Australia Blue Eyes. Surely they will come down here someday ? (although they should maintain their base in Britain. MOONRAKER & LTK both suffered as a result of filming in foreign studios). 007 has been to outer space but not OZ. It's an INJUSTICE !!!!!.

#20 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 12:47 PM

IF AUSTRALIA TURNS UP IN BOND 20, here are some lines of dialogue EON could use:

DR MOLLY WARMFLASH (to 007)
Lucky man...I've always wanted to go Down Under

MONEYPENNY (in reference to Molly's dalliances with 007)
Yes...we all know that.

#21 ENJ

ENJ

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 12:10 AM

That was a nice long read!! lol That's scraped 20 minutes off my double session of Info Tech........

I like the idea of Bond going to London.
But has Bond been to Australia before?? How cool would it be???? I doubt they'll film near Geelong (hole) but I can always wish!!!

We have a stadium like Millenium Stadium in Melbourne. Even though I haven't been there, it's got the retractable roof and everything.

Daniel, didn't the roof get stuck one time??

#22 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 12:11 AM

007_Fanatic (06 Jun, 2001 12:21 a.m.):
Yes, I have been to Cardiff, and it's a very nice place. Cardiff Castle is Ok, but it's right in the middle of the city. Anyway, there is a small town in South Wales called Tenby. Now, that would be a good location for Bond 20, because just of the beach there is a very small island - and on top of it is an old building. (To me it looks like Alcatraz) But a good spot for a villain's hideaway. There is another island on the other side of the town, and there is an old monastery on it. And another thing, when its really hot in the summer, the place is like paradise.... palm trees, blue sea, a long stretch beach.If only Barbara Broccoli knew about it. It's definitely worth a look.

This island sounds interesting. Perhaps Broccoli does know of it and is going to travel there from Cardiff. She'd probably stay in Cardiff cause (I'm guessing) it would have better hotels etc...

But I can still really imagine this castle in the final scenes with Bond perhaps chasing someone from the city to the castle. And just because it is in the middle of the city doesn't mean they have to acknowledge such a fact?!?

#23 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 05:00 AM

Some beautiful tropical island would be great!! :)

I'm sure there are other places of course. We haven't really seen Bond is the desert - bar The Spy Who Loved Me Of Course. It could be an interesting thing.

#24 Tanner

Tanner

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 08:07 AM

I may be wrong, but weren't there rumours that an early draft of one of Brosnan's films was set partially in Australia??? If so, why was that dropped then?

Personally, I'd like to see Brosnan in Jamaica - would be a nice symetry with Connery and Moore.

#25 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 May 2001 - 10:42 AM

Blue Eyes (30 Apr, 2001 03:57 a.m.):
I can't imagine it going to America - the reason is something to do with the strikes in America though I can't say too much right now. So it would seem that Australia, New Zealand and perhaps a few other Eurpoean countries (though none are really as huge on filming right now as NZ and Oz are) would be viable alternatives.

007 in OZ !!. Well...I would gladly give up my other testicle to see it. Soon I may not have the 'balls' to do anything !!.

#26 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 08:51 AM

Tanner (25 Apr, 2001 09:07 a.m.):
I may be wrong, but weren't there rumours that an early draft of one of Brosnan's films was set partially in Australia??? If so, why was that dropped then?

Personally, I'd like to see Brosnan in Jamaica - would be a nice symetry with Connery and Moore.

Dead right Tanner! During the press rounds (promotional tours) for Tomorrow Never Dies Brosnan revealed that he was interested in filming Bond in Australia and that producers were considering it. I don't think that it ever ended up in a draft however.

And true, it woudl be great to see Brosnan's Bond go to Jamaica. It's very much a heritage place for Bond. So it would be something good to see. Also seeing it's the 20th film it would be interesting to see him go back there.

#27 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 11:30 AM

I've been away for a few days and already we have some ACTION !.

Debbie McWilliam's words are too vague to read much into it at this stage. Personally I would like to see a return to a desert island which hasn't happened in a long time. There's plenty of those around Australia, plus 007 travelling to Oz as well would be great.

One thing I've noticed about the Brosnan Films is that they don't focus on their locations too much as in previous eras. Too much seems to be done in the studio these days. So if they come out to Oz, lets hope they take full advantage of it.

#28 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 11:54 AM

If they come to Oz I imagine they might use Fox Studios for a few sequences. It all depends I guess. The Australian Dollar is really week at the moment so to shoot a movie here would save them big bucks, however, this would take them away from Pinewood. Now, I can't see that because one of my insiders at Pinewood has confirmed time and time again to me that rumours around Pinewood is the pre-production is only a few months off.

Now that doesn't surprise me. They do a lot of out door shooting on location and in studio shooting at Pinewood. Take TWINE. The Bankers office (his name escapes me) was shot at Pinewood with a Blue Screen background for the window yet the outside shots (including the window jump) were all shot in Biblao.

So if they do send Bond to Australia (with the advantage of saving some money) they'll film fully external. And if that happens, I'll do my best to be there camera on hand :) And if I can't make it personally I'm sure I'll find someone in Australia who could.

#29 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 27 May 2001 - 03:35 PM

Why do you always speak of such tropical destinations? I think, Debbie McWilliams said, that she hadn't read the script yet, so how wants she know that they're lookinf for tropical places?

I think Bond should stay in Europe. I come from Germany and I think Bond should be filmed here. Yes, I know, TND was set in Hamburg, but the Germany-scenes were rare. Also "Octopussy" was located here, but the scenes didn't take place so long in Berlin.

My home town isn't very big, but it's famous, because it is the oldest town in Germany (some say my home town is older than Rome) and we have a lot of Roman sights here, where 007 could be filmed. But it's just an idea!

Another idea is Portugal. I've been there a lot of times and I think it's very exciting there, e.g. in Lisbon or Porto. So what do you think?

Regards,
Tim [[email protected]]

#30 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 11:49 AM

[quote]Blue Eyes (29 Apr, 2001 12:27 a.m.):
That aside, LTK and MR were both dogged by foreign studios but it recent rumours that have come across my desk are true a foreign studio may have to be used. So let's see what happens.[/quote
Oh my god, that's not good news. If they have to use a foreign studio let's hope it's not in the Americas because it would influence the film in a negative way (like LTK). Australia may be the closest thing to Britain there is and it may enable the producers to keep the film as British in flavour as possible. I'm starting to worry a bit now.