39 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 08:57 PM

1. Roger is able to escape from Russia in a submarine that doesn't appear to do more than 4 mph.

2. The aforementioned submarine has a beautiful pilot, who leaves the controls at the front of the sub, to help Bond out of his snow boots. Luckily 007 has had Q put a handy lever next to the bed at the back which is designed purely to throw her off balance.

3. Roger goes politically correct. The Minister of Defence refuses to believe that Zorin is guilty. "He's a leading French industrialist!". Roger refuses to wrap up the AVTAK case there and then by saying "That settles it then"

4. John Glen goes politically correct too. We have a French taxi driver who shouts " OH MA CARRRRR", a detective named after a vegetable who ends in the soup, and then M is able to bribe the French Police to get 007 released.

5. They were able to find 2 henchman older than Bond and Tibbett for the stables/lab punch-up.

6. Stuck with Stacey Sutton, Bond hopes the heavies will return, so he cunningly offers to guard her, and then falls asleep, not even noticing she's got up and made breakfast.

7. Zorin makes his escape from the mine in a rather large airship with his name in 60ft letters on one side, and "I Did It" on the other.

8. Bond can tie a knot in two seconds without burning his hands and it's still strong enough to hold the airship in place.

9. Christopher Walken

10. Stacey Sutton's lack of knowledge at last pays dividends when Bond gets her in the shower as she can't tell the soap from the pope.

#2 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 07:39 PM

Ok then AVTAK is better than Goldfinger.

#3 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 07:39 PM

#4 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 07:48 PM

Ha! You're for it now.

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 08:12 PM

Victor Zokas (16 Apr, 2002 09:57 p.m.):
2. The aforementioned submarine has a beautiful pilot, who leaves the controls at the front of the sub, to help Bond out of his snow boots. Luckily 007 has had Q put a handy lever next to the bed at the back which is designed purely to throw her off balance.

Whilst we're talking about the sub. The underside of it must be several feet under water, otherwise where does the bed extension pop up from. It's clearly 1 1/2 to 2ft tall, plus it's down beneath water level, plus there would have to be a system underneath to push it up. Also does anyone think that the interior looks a little too large?

#6 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 08:59 PM

[b]Tanger (17 Apr, 2002 09:12 p.m
Whilst we're talking about the sub. The underside of it must be several feet under water, otherwise where does the bed extension pop up from. It's clearly 1 1/2 to 2ft tall, plus it's down beneath water level, plus there would have to be a system underneath to push it up. Also does anyone think that the interior looks a little too large?

Yeah, it's a bit like the Tardis. All that underside would explain why it's so slow.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 09:55 PM

mrmoon (17 Apr, 2002 08:39 p.m.):
A View to a Kill is better than Goldfinger.

Amen to that!

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 April 2002 - 11:31 PM

Victor Zokas (18 Apr, 2002 09:59 p.m.):

[b]Tanger (17 Apr, 2002 09:12 p.m

Yeah, it's a bit like the Tardis. All that underside would explain why it's so slow.

Well, the sub was supposed to look like an iceberg and they float 9/10ths under water.

#9 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 04:19 AM

General Koskov (18 Apr, 2002 10:55 p.m.):

A View to a Kill is better than Goldfinger.

Amen to that!

At the risk of being flamed, I'll third that!

#10 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 03:58 PM

Well, I won't fourth that, as I think GF is better than AVTAK, but only just. AVTAK is in comfortable mid-table most of the time when I think about the Bond movies I prefer.

#11 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 05:13 PM

Victor Zokas (16 Apr, 2002 09:57 p.m.):
7. Zorin makes his escape from the mine in a rather large airship with his name in 60ft letters on one side, and "I Did It" on the other.

I've been laughing for the past five minutes about this one. Thanks for cheering up my morning. That's hilarious. He might as well have plastered "I DID IT!" across the blimp!

Oh, and shame on all of you for this AVTAK over "Goldfinger" nonsense. There's no contest.

#12 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 05:21 PM

Oh, and shame on all of you for this AVTAK over "Goldfinger" nonsense.  There's no contest.

So that's another vote for AVTAK then??

#13 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 08:48 PM

I'm extremely curious to hear some of the reasons these folk prefer AVTAK to Goldfinger. Please do tell, chums.

#14 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 09:04 PM

Victor Zokas (19 Apr, 2002 06:21 p.m.):

Oh, and shame on all of you for this AVTAK over "Goldfinger" nonsense.  There's no contest.

So that's another vote for AVTAK then??

It most certainly is not.

#15 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 07:14 AM

That's a very bold statement. If it's prefaced with "in my opinion...", then so be it, can't argue against that. If it is presented as fact, please back it up. Enchant us with reason, Otherwise it's as hollow as "it is a truth universally acknowledged that a young man in possession of a fortune must be in want of a wife", or "all good films have subtext".

#16 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 09:14 AM

Jim - just wondering if you would still say that's a bold statement if mrmoon had said Goldfinger is better than AVTAK? That would still be opinion too. My point is that almost every article on this site discussing the movies is going to be opinion, or at least contain large elements of opinion.

I personally prefer GF, but have less trouble with mrmoon's statement than most might as I quite like AVTAK. I was just looking elsewhere, and I'm the only person there to have a good word to say about AVTAK. It seems to be rock bottom for most.

I know I stated this thread, but it was a tongue in cheek ribbing I was giving AVTAK. It is still entertaining in spite of it's many faults.....in my opinion.

#17 DaleC76

DaleC76

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 12:47 PM

I liked AVTAK. It was fun, like the rest of the Moore Bond movies.

Although I too could have done without Stacey's screeching........

#18 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 04:17 PM

Victor Zokas (20 Apr, 2002 10:14 a.m.):
Jim - just wondering if you would still say that's a bold statement if mrmoon had said Goldfinger is better than AVTAK? That would still be opinion too. My point is that almost every article on this site discussing the movies is going to be opinion, or at least contain large elements of opinion.

Exactly. It was clearly an opinion. There are no books or criteria to state whether AVTAK is better than GF or vice versa.

#19 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 04:26 PM

Well, let's clear up my opinion: if Goldfinger didn't have the silly 'Gassing the Gangsters' moment, I would have loved it, but that combined with vintage-1930s special effects just ruined the experience! ^_^

#20 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 07:04 PM

http://www.007foreve...ppreciation.htm

#21 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 08:56 PM

mrmoon: very entertaining article sir! Thank you for pointing it out.

A "need-to-read" for all AVTAK lovers/haters. ENJOY!

#22 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 09:11 PM

I must point out it was actually Gen.Koskov who pointed it out to me.

#23 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 09:18 PM

mrmoon (20 Apr, 2002 05:17 p.m.):

Victor Zokas (20 Apr, 2002 10:14 a.m.):

Exactly. It was clearly an opinion. There are no books or criteria to state whether AVTAK is better than GF or vice versa.

Not really my point; I'd just be interested to read your reasons behind your opinion, which may be persuasive.

Unless it is some sort of instinct.

#24 DaleC76

DaleC76

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 03:20 PM

General Koskov (20 Apr, 2002 05:26 p.m.):
Well, let's clear up my opinion: if Goldfinger didn't have the silly 'Gassing the Gangsters' moment, I would have loved it, but that combined with vintage-1930s special effects just ruined the experience! ^_^

Not to mention some of the lines those gangsters had:

"Hey, turn on those lights!"
"What's that map doing up there?"

#25 AstonMartinDB5

AstonMartinDB5

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 03:54 PM

We Should Love AVTAK simply because Dolph Lundgren makes an appearance in the film...no joke! If you don't believe me ask my Uncle!
Or just check out the scene between Zorin and Gogol at the racetrack...hmmm you may just recognise one of Gogol's heavies as a Russian boxer from Rocky IV.

#26 ronson

ronson

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 03:56 PM

mrmoon (16 Apr, 2002 10:33 p.m.):
Am I the only person on the forums who likes AVTAK? I could tell you one film its better than but I would be slaughtered and banished from the world of Bond forever.

AVTAK is ok - but go on, tell us your lesser film, please......sorry I've now read the other post, we've all gotta have an opinion I suppose!!!!

#27 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 08:08 AM

mrmoon and General Koskov - thanks for pointing out those AVTAK articles on 007 Forever. Most entertaining.

I wouldn't agree with all the points raised there, but I find AVTAK still has many entertaining aspects and moves along at pace. It was good to see someone had taken time out to study Roger's "effortless" performance.

At least here at CBN there are some people who like (or at least don't hate) AVTAK. I'd always thought MWTGG and MR were bottom of people's lists, but recently from what I've seen it's nearly always AVTAK elsewhere.

As an example I often see people say one of the reasons they dislike it is because Roger looks too old this time. Yet with the facelift and having lost some weight, he looks younger and fitter in AVTAK than in FYEO and OP to me. But nobody much seems to criticise his appearance in those movies.

I know I've been knocking AVTAK, but I just find it has a few aspects that lend themselves to a spot of light banter. It's somewhere in the middle of my list of bonds.

It just seems that putting AVTAK at rock bottom seems to be becoming another of those sacred, untouchable Bond facts, like the first 4 Bonds are the classics. I for one am not bothered by this, and am more than happy to say I don't really rate TB that highly.

#28 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 07:09 PM

Well I could but then I would have to kill you.

#29 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 07:28 PM

I'm already dead.

#30 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans