6 replies to this topic

#1 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 12:37 PM

This is probably my favourite Gardner novel I know it is very similar to No Deals, Mr Bond but I still really enjoy it.

What are your thoughts on this book?

#2 Tehuti 004

Tehuti 004

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:08 PM

I found it an interesting read to say the least.

The plot was constanly changing and the characters were cofusing, each having about 3 names each and each used after the other, so that was quite confusing.

It began slowely and only picked up slightly near the end, this was mainly due to the unneeded detail on every aspect of everything.

But it was an OK novel. :)

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 09:57 PM

I like it better than No Deals Mr. Bond, but it's not really one of my favorite Gardner novels.

#4 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 10:41 PM

I have to say I prefer No Deals Mr. Bond. I found this book to be nothing more than a rehash of NDMB, which is one of my favourite Gardner novels, it had the same basic plot, same type of characters, etc. And did anyone care when Easy dies?

#5 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 05:04 PM

I just re-read it, and I liked it. I liked the similarities to NDMB, and Bond was really clever in this one. Some of Gardner's other ones, he's getting bailed out all the time by other people, but not here. I love the way he killed Weisen, who is my favorite Gardner villain. He would have been a really fun ally of Bond's, if written that way. He should have been introduced earlier in the book, he needed more "screen time."

A couple of things, though. Is this where Gardner starts showing his age? I was really annoyed by yet another Sean Connery reference, and that whole business where Bond says he was once compared to Hoagy Carmichael.
The two times Bond's love interests make him wear a condom, didn't really bother me, it's P.C. and all that, but it just seemed juvenile the way it was brought up.
And this exchange in Chapter 6, when Bond is telling Easy to fake surprise and start screaming, or whatever...
Easy:"I can scream very loudly when aroused."
Bond:"I'll have to remember that."

Nice. I can picture Roger Moore, especially, in that scene. End it.

But, no. It continues...
Easy:"Oh, I won't scream at you. Maybe I will but in the nicest kind of way, if you follow me."
Bond:"Really?"

Are you serious??? What am I, Four??? I didn't know where she was going with that??? I was waiting for Eric Idle to show up...

Eric:"Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know what I mean? Your wife, she's a goer?..."

Anyway, other than that, really, really good book, but as I continue re-reading them all in sequence, I'm just fearful that Gardner is starting to show his age and I'll be reading the ramblings of an old man.

#6 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:28 PM

I like it, it's not too bad considering there are more twists in the book than a pretzel factory. It has a good villain and enough action to keep the mind occupied, unlike Scorpius which seems to meander from time to time.

#7 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:33 PM

I put Death is Forever down, its on my attempt to read again gardner list which includes...Win,Lose or die and Brokenclaw...