14 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 03:05 PM

Just wondered what our impression of Bond would be if Cubby had been able to get Roger Moore as 007 in the early 1960s instead of Sean Connery. We know from interviews with Cubby that Moore was considered before Connery but that Moore was unavailable due to his commitments with the Saint.
Would the public have accepted Connery's more gritty approach (if Connery had eventually taken over the role) and what would it mean for today's Bond?
Any comments?

#2 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 04:25 PM

I wonder if they would have kept roger from early 1960's - 1985?

I think they probaby would have gotten rid of him around Moonraker-ish 1979-1981-ish

#3 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 05:49 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow:
Would the public have accepted Connery's more gritty approach (if Connery had eventually taken over the role) and what would it mean for today's Bond?

Ah, but what if Moore played it entirely straight and gritty as Connery did and Connery, when he came around in the 70s and 80s - and if he came around - was the one that played Bond for laughs?

#4 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 05:56 PM

i just wonder what a view to a kill would have been like with connery?, connery fighting may day

#5 Dr.Carl Mortner

Dr.Carl Mortner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 07:26 PM

"i just wonder what a view to a kill would have been like with connery?, connery fighting may day"

I think the idea of Connery cooking quiche is even funnier;P.

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Carl Mortner
"i just wonder what a view to a kill would have been like with connery?, connery fighting may day"

I think the idea of Connery cooking quiche is even funnier;P.

LOL.....that's too funny Dr. Mortner

#7 Dr.Carl Mortner

Dr.Carl Mortner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 01:19 AM

"What are you sherrving Schtachee, Whishkaas?".;P

#8 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:04 AM

Sean did do 2 clear "Roger Style" Bond Films... DAF & NSNA

and I think DAF is aweful!! Sean was really bad in it.. BUT I think he 100% improved in NSNA!! Still not a great movie.. but Sean was a little better at the action/entertainment style..

Thats one thing I have never understood with "some" Sean fans.. when they sorta make fun of Roger's Era.. which makes NO sense.. because Sean started the "Roger style"... BEFORE Roger was even Bond with DAF?????

I really think "most" Sean fans think Sean made the first 3 Bond films.. and then they gloss over the slow move to the DAF?

OYMSS was probably the most serious/real Bond film.. the next one was 1000000% Camp.. done by Sean.

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:30 AM

I also think NSNA was a vast improvement over DAF.
NSNA has Sean looking a lot leaner and better. It also has one of the best 007 femme fatales with Barbara Carrera, wonderful villains with Klaus Maria Brandeur and Max Von Sydow (here's hoping one day they reinstate more of his scenes) and some of the best dialogue.
Not the best movie in the series but a definite improvement over DAF.

#10 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:48 AM

connery looked as if he took nsna, serious, he looked like he wanted to play the role, which was a great improvment over daf, cause there he looked like he would have rather been anywhere, but playing bond, and it showed in his lack luster performance, i even think sean was sleepwalking in some of those scenes

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:53 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
connery looked as if he took nsna, serious, he looked like he wanted to play the role, which was a great improvment over daf, cause there he looked like he would have rather been anywhere, but playing bond, and it showed in his lack luster performance, i even think sean was sleepwalking in some of those scenes

I can't agree.....I think Sean was far more INTO his role than DAF or YOLT. You want to see a movie where Bond seems bored with 007 check out YOLT.

#12 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 09:59 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

I can't agree.....I think Sean was far more INTO his role than DAF or YOLT. You want to see a movie where Bond seems bored with 007 check out YOLT.

see thats what iam saying, it looked like he was more alive in nsna, more refreshed, then in daf, because he looked like he was just going through the motion, and it looked like he was sleepwalking through daf, i hope brossie never sleepwalks through a bond film

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:04 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
see thats what iam saying, it looked like he was more alive in nsna, more refreshed, then in daf, because he looked like he was just going through the motion, and it looked like he was sleepwalking through daf, i hope brossie never sleepwalks through a bond film

Ooops, I must have misread your original quote, sorry about that...

I keep my comments on Brozzie to a minimum because I don't want to incur the wrath of MBE! :)

#14 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:58 AM

Let me ask all you guys/gals...

IF Roger did get the job for Dr No.

how many do you think he would have done.. ??

I think he could have gone from 1960-1981

BUT to be honest they probably would have gotten a different guy in the mid 1970's before moonraker.. I think roger looked as young as he always did up to moonraker.. he started to look alittle older in 1981.. just like Pierce looks now.. just a little older..

what do you think?

when would Roger have gotten the axe.. IF he started with Dr No?

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 11:15 AM

I think they would have kept Roger as long as he wanted the role. After all he would have been the publics only accepted James Bond and they would have been unsure about coming out with a different actor in the role.