This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What do you consider Roger's Serious Bond films??

28 replies to this topic

#1 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 07:58 AM

Ok.. I think in Roger's movies he has elements of "Bond Comedy"..but most of the feel is Serious..

I'd say:

TSWLM
FYEO
Octopussy
AVTAK

What are your rules which make a Roger Bond.. Serious or Entertainment/Lighter

I guess Moonraker we would all say is the most Comedy Driven..

Do you go from there?

What makes it Serious.. Bonds actions towards other charcters?? yes they might have a Onliner..but what Bond does in that movie?? Or Possibly the Villians plan?

hmmm?? What would you say:cool::):)

#2 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:50 PM

I have to say after watching it.. FYEO is his best serious Bond! No gadgets really and nice well paced serious 007 movie

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:59 PM

I agree,.....all in all FYEO is a great movie. I didn't like it when I first saw it (I was 9 and expecting more of MR). But it has grown on me.

#4 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 12:34 AM

Definitly FYEO is his most serious. Roger is really good at this too. It's great that Roger can play comedy so well but I also think he is very underrated as a dramatic actor. I would also say Octopussy, TSWLM and parts of TMWTGG.

#5 Dr.Carl Mortner

Dr.Carl Mortner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 03:03 AM

AVTAK had the potential to be a serious Bond film: it had a great, Cold War-related plot, a Bond that (for a few minutes anyway) was out for revenge) and an actual psychotic villain rather than just a rich guy with delusions of grandeur. I think it may have succeeded if not for May Day, who really served no purpose in the movie at all aside from a chance for Grace Jones to portray some fantastically poor acting (on a related note: how come we never got the promised showdown between Bond and May Day - THAT'S WHAT SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE FOR!!!).

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 03:13 AM

Yep, all the posters screamed "Has James Bond finally met his match" and we went into the movie theater expecting to see Bond and May Day battle it out.

I personally think Zorin is the best villain of the EON series.

#7 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 05:35 PM

I think that second half of AVTAK was very intense and serious!! Zorin was nuts!! When he shot all the miners and flooded them.. thats about as sick serious & intense as a 007 Movie has ever gotten:mad::)

very nice change to mix it up..I like that :)

#8 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 06:46 PM

i would say...for your eyes only, roger was not playing it that one, he was all serious

#9 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 06:53 PM

FYEO and TMWTGG. Roger slapped a woman in TMWTGG-pretty serious!

#10 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 04:21 PM

TMWTGG, where he is Fleming's Bond come to life.

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 02:40 PM

I think Zorin is so much fun in AVTAK. He is clearly very psychotic and Walken was obviously having a great time with the role....I think scenes like the firetruck chase took it away from being serious.

#12 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:58 PM

the fire truck stuff when i first saw it at 18 in 85, did not bother me, but now at 36 the fire truck scenes really tick me off.....why is that?

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 09:26 PM

You grew up...the fire truck scene really belongs in a more silly Bond movie like MR (has shades of the gondola sequence).

#14 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 09:39 PM

Roger Moore serious. I could never take Roger Moore serious as Bond, the man was a joke from beginning to end.

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 09:51 PM

Originally posted by MarkA
Roger Moore serious. I could never take Roger Moore serious as Bond, the man was a joke from beginning to end.

Yeah he was really joking when he threatened to break Andrea's arm, swiped his hand away to send Sandor to his death, upset at the Tracy question from Anya and kicking Locque of the cliff....

#16 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 09:53 PM

next to Timothy.. Roger is the most serious..

Sean is a block of wood.. thats NOT serious, thats just being able to show maybe 2 emotions.

George didn't get a change

Pierce is a fruit! Not even James Bond, he is the first groupie to play the character.. he is a "sean" groupie.

I'd say Timothy is the most serious Bond!!!! Roger showed every emotion perfectly.. he is clearly the most well rounded actor to play the roll..

Most guys can do only 2 emotions if we are lucky:rolleyes:

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 09:56 PM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
next to Timothy.. Roger is the most serious..

Sean is a block of wood.. thats NOT serious, thats just being able to show maybe 2 emotions.

George didn't get a change

Pierce is a fruit! Not even James Bond, he is the first groupie to play the character.. he is a "sean" groupie.

I'd say Timothy is the most serious Bond!!!! Roger showed every emotion perfectly.. he is clearly the most well rounded actor to play the roll..

Most guys can do only 2 emotions if we are lucky:rolleyes:

I agree with your assessment completely 4 Ur Eyez Only...Sean's fans wish their guy could play Bond as well as Roger.

#18 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 12:10 PM

Sean is a lot more subtle in his approach than Roger Moore. Hence the sense of repressed anger when Kerim is killed in From Russia With Love.
Outside of Bond, Roger could never have played in films such as The Hill, The Offence, Robin and Marion and many others. He simply is not in the same class as illustrated by his carreer coming to a grinding halt after Bond

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 01:11 PM

Originally posted by MarkA
Sean is a lot more subtle in his approach than Roger Moore. Hence the sense of repressed anger when Kerim is killed in From Russia With Love.
Outside of Bond, Roger could never have played in films such as The Hill, The Offence, Robin and Marion and many others. He simply is not in the same class as illustrated by his carreer coming to a grinding halt after Bond

Mark, what are you referring to by his career coming to a "grinding halt". If you had taken the time to read about Roger Moore and listened to interviews with the fellow, he came to the realization (about the same time as he left Bond) that there were more important things in life than acting. That was when he started to devote his attention to worthy causes (such as becoming an Ambassador for Unicef). Roger Moore is a lot more interested in doing charity work than padding out his acting resume.
(Source: "Inside Live and Let Die")

#20 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:21 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

I agree with your assessment completely 4 Ur Eyez Only...Sean's fans wish their guy could play Bond as well as Roger.

sean connery is the type of actor I would say 95% of the time .. he plays himself.. sorta like clint eastwood.

some actors are lucky enough to just be themselves in every roll.. and most people don't mind

#21 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 08:54 PM

I thought Octopussy was probably Roger's 'serious' film. There is a relaxation and almost a melencholy feel to his performance in this one.

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Kingdom Come
I thought Octopussy was probably Roger's 'serious' film. There is a relaxation and almost a melencholy feel to his performance in this one.

Personally, there was too much comic strip in OP for me to consider it a serious movie. The Tarzan yell and telling the tiger to sit stuff like that. I would probably say IMHO it is Rogers least serious 007 film.

#23 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 10:03 PM

IMHO?

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 10:25 PM

In My Honest Opinion

#25 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:00 PM

Well I may have boobed in some of the above words - what I really meant was Roger himself.

#26 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 11:53 AM

Yes I agree like all superstars Sean does tend to play himself, hence the films I mentioned like the Hill and the Offence where he really did act. But I strongly believe Roger's strength is light comedy hence I'm sorry but I just can't believe in him when he acts 'serious' as Bond. And also The Roger Moore comedy moments in Bond films I find very juvenile.

#27 97SiR

97SiR

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 03:05 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
I have to say after watching it.. FYEO is his best serious Bond! No gadgets really and nice well paced serious 007 movie

I'd have to say that all in all FYEO is Moore's most serious Bond and also his best Bond. I'd even go as far as sayng that FYEO is the best movie of the series. :)

#28 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:45 AM

John Glen wanted to make roger serious as all hell in his first directing job...

the scene where roger kicks the car off the cliff.. they & roger wanted the pin to be that extra weight.. in which the car falls over.. a typical "007 joke"

but John wanted a hardcore edge! and after Roger saw the finally movie he agree!

John had a bunch of hardcore moments...

FYEO:kicking the car
AVTAK: zorkin shooting the miners at the end
LTK: felix getting eaten by a shark

john glen ruled :)

#29 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 01:11 PM

Although John Glen brought a lot to the series I don't think he was so much responsible for the great Roger Moore movies of the 1980s. He did after all give us two of the worst movies in the series with TLD and LTK.