30 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 02:49 PM

It's not my favorite James Bond movie, or favorite Roger Moore James Bond movie, but FYEO has grown on me over the years so here is a list of some of the reasons I like this entry in the EON series.

1) Carole Bouquet. This actress along with the singer/actress Vanessa Paradis are proof that French women are incredible.
2) Back to basics. After going into space, as Patrick MacNee says in the documentary, the producers decided to bring him back down to Earth.
3) Incredicle ski action. Willy Bogner proved again that he can put together a pretty incredible action sequence. Watch the FYEO scene and the TWINE parahawks scene and you will realize that Brosnans action sequences are lame in comparison.
4) Kristatos. No world domination here, just a great mercenary with the fate of the world at his finger tips...We aren't just dealing with two measly nuclear missiles as in TSWLM, but every nuclear missile in the British submarine fleet.
5) Columbo. The false villain for a bit and then one of Bonds most amiable friends.
6) The Cold War. The Cold War was in full swing at the time and Bonds place in the world was clear.
7) The appearance of Blofeld in an under rated precredits sequence.
8) Did I mention Carole Bouquet?! :)
9) Some impressive rock climbing by Rick Sylvestor.
10) "You left this with Ferrara I believe"...The scene when Rog kicked Kristatos off the cliff shocked my mother (a Connery supporter) when she saw it for the first time. It reminiscent of the way Roger kills Sandor in TSWLM.
11) The car chase with the Citroen. A car designed for French peasants was the star of a car chase through the Greek olive groves (it was supposed to be Spain, but it was filmed in Greece).
12) The poster --- you know the one I mean :)
13) Visiting Tracys grave, some nice continuation in the series, and a touching portrayal by Moore.
14) Sheena Eastons title song, one of my favorites.
15) The keel-hauling sequence.Tense and suspenseful.
16) Oh, and Carole Bouquet.

#2 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 03:14 PM

I really like FYEO. Here are 10 reason why:

1) Moore savagely kicking Michael Gothard's car off the cliff

2) The excellent music score.

3) Two Bond birds I'd really like to shag.

4) The ski chase.

5) The motorbiker flipping through the florist's window.

6) The underwater scene.

7) The use of the keel-hauling sequence from Fleming's LALD.

8) The burglar protected Lotus.

9) The 2CV

10) Sean Connery isn't in it.

#3 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 03:48 PM

I agree Dlibrasnow, it's a great Bond film. My favorite Roger Moore by far and the first Bond I saw in a theater. Melina is my favorite Bond girl. French Women like Claudine Aunger and Carol Bouquet rule the earth! Carol Bouquet forged my taste in women. A European/latin women in a white suit with black hair is priceless...
FYEO is a classic.

That ski chase was great. TWINE's ski scene was so dissapointing for me. I remember seeing the trailor and thinking "cool, Bond on skis again! Finally!" What a dud. And Roger Moore (the actor in real life)can ski circles around Pierce.

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot
I agree Dlibrasnow, it's a great Bond film. My favorite Roger Moore by far and the first Bond I saw in a theater. Melina is my favorite Bond girl. French Women like Claudine Aunger and Carol Bouquet rule the earth! Carol Bouquet forged my taste in women. A European/latin women in a white suit with black hair is priceless...
FYEO is a classic.

That ski chase was great. TWINE's ski scene was so dissapointing for me. I remember seeing the trailor and thinking "cool, Bond on skis again! Finally!" What a dud. And Roger Moore (the actor in real life)can ski circles around Pierce.

Sophie Marceau apparently made fun of Pierce because he couldn't ski. Roger of course has a home in Switzerland and he does know how to ski.
I had the same sense of anticipation when I saw the trailer for TWINE. What a dissapointment, a dud.

I forgot about Claudine Auger, but yes just more proof along with Carole Bouquet and Vanessa Paradis that French women rule the world.

#5 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 07:22 PM

I actually LOVE it!! It has a great serious side.. John Glen did a amazing first time directing a 007 film :)

I put it #2 on my list :)

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 09:43 PM

I didn't like it when I first saw it because it was too serious (I was 9 and "Moonraker" was still fresh in my mind). Now though I really like it precisely because it's a grittier back-to-basics 007 movie.

#7 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:21 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

Now though I really like it precisely because it's a grittier back-to-basics 007 movie.  

Hmmm.... I find it rather dull and plodding. It's not awful, but I don't think it has all that much of a kick to it. Apart from the truly superb ski chase, there's nothing terribly involving or memorable; besides which, the film now seems very dated in many respects.

I appreciate Moore's attempt to ring some changes in his portrayal of Bond (which said, I consider his classic silly-fun-for-all-the-family unflappable superhero routine much more entertaining), as well as the filmmakers' good intentions in trying to make "a grittier back-to-basics 007 movie", but I don't feel that FOR YOUR EYES ONLY has the fizz of other Moore outings, all of which I prefer, with the possible exception of OCTOPUSSY.

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Loomis

Hmmm.... I find it rather dull and plodding. It's not awful, but I don't think it has all that much of a kick to it. Apart from the truly superb ski chase, there's nothing terribly involving or memorable; besides which, the film now seems very dated in many respects.  

I appreciate Moore's attempt to ring some changes in his portrayal of Bond (which said, I consider his classic silly-fun-for-all-the-family unflappable superhero routine much more entertaining), as well as the filmmakers' good intentions in trying to make "a grittier back-to-basics 007 movie", but I don't feel that FOR YOUR EYES ONLY has the fizz of other Moore outings, all of which I prefer, with the possible exception of OCTOPUSSY.

Even compared to the rather weak TMWTGG or MR?

#9 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 01:36 AM

I liked seeing Tracy's grave and I also liked seeing how Bond put an end to Blofeld.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:42 AM

I know the precredits sequence to FYEO was much maligned at the time of the movies release, but I liked it...I heard the Tracy grave scene was initially written because they were thinking a new actor might be taking on the role (and it provided some continuity) but it is great to see these references...I believe the next time would be in LTK.

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 08:19 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

Even compared to the rather weak TMWTGG or MR?  

Both are superior to FOR YOUR EYES ONLY as far as I'm concerned. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN is one of my favourite Bond films. It's fantastic escapist entertainment, IMO, and I think it's a shame that so many critics and fans dismiss it. I've written about it at length before on this site, so I won't defend it in too much detail on this thread. It's almost a series entry that those discovering Bond are "taught" to dislike, and the same goes for MOONRAKER, which I also enjoy enormously.

Both TMWTGG and MR are silly fun, which is always enough for me if done well. In addition, they boast a number of "classic Bond" elements: a delight in exotic locations, a superb John Barry score, excellent cinematography, thrilling action scenes.... I've never taken the view that TMWTGG and MR are Fleming-free zones, either. For me, both films are much more "sexy" than FYEO.

#12 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 08:46 AM

I saw this in the theater and I was around 10 years old.. and I didn't find it dull at all..

I think it is a serious bond.. which is nice to mix them up! Why must everyone try to rip off goldfinger?

I think the music is amazing! Bill Conti makes amazing action music!! Instead of always throwing the "bond theme" in a action scene.. Bill made action music!

I think the Ski Scene is the best in any bond movie!! I think the Ski Stunt at the end with the bomsled/skier/motorcycle all on one track is the best stunt ever! (on the same intense level with Buster Keaton and the silent film stars!Those guys were nuts :) )

I love the harder edge to it all.. I love how it is intense.. when bond is being sniped by a sniper in the woods.. and then again when he has to go on the ski jump..

I love that the movie goes everywhere! from snowy places to tropical places

#13 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 10:12 AM

>>Bill Conti makes amazing action music!! Instead of always throwing the "bond theme" in a action scene.. Bill made action music!<<

Agreed! I must be the only Bond fan who can't stand the James Bond theme.

#14 Dr.Carl Mortner

Dr.Carl Mortner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 07:31 PM

I had seen three Bond movies before I saw FYEO in its entirety (Moonraker, Thunderball and Octopussy) and hated every one of them. Just found them too silly. Yet, I HAD to watch every Bond movie that came on TV for some reason.

And then I saw FYEO. All the problems that bothered me with the other three (nonsensical or hard-to-follow plots, a Bond who was too busy getting laid to really make good secret agent-type decisions) were absent. From FYEO, I was able to go on and develop respect - and eventually love - for those aforementioned three movies.

At some point - and especially in a series as occasionally silly as Bond - you need a film to bring back some credibility. And, after DAD, one of those is needed again - badly. However, I also fear another TWINE...

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Carl Mortner
And, after DAD, one of those is needed again - badly. However, I also fear another TWINE...

I share your fear.

#16 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 07:18 AM

I feel .. The Producers are NOT going to rock the boat! They are not going to show any range in the Pierce Bonds!

These are Cubby's Kids.. They are making money hand over fist on every Pierce bond? (yeah I know, it doesn't make any sense?)

..Because they have a "Blueprint" and they are sticking to it.. Pierce is always UNDER the radar..as Bond! They must get known actress(s) to play Bond Girls?? (this is to hide Pierce is aweful)

When Cubby took over.. we clearly see he wanted to take chances.. when Moonraker was the biggest Bond ever.. HE DIDN'T "Milk It" he went in a 180 Degree DIFFERENT direction!

There is NO pattern to Cubby's Kids running the Bond Series.. they get odd directors..who haven't work their way up in the "Bond Family"?? They seem to love to play "Remember When" with all of pierce's movies ..They just mix a little Sean & a little Roger ? :) "Ok in this one..lets mix Dr No with AVTAK.. or maybe YOLT with Octopussy ":rolleyes: They also have aweful SLOW BORING Scripts...

But for some reason they are hitting a homerun..everytime out???? But all of Pierce's Bond Movies.. are like toilet paper... after you done using it.. you don't save it.. you throw it away

..But Cubby's Kids see the bottomline.. They can careless that the Bond Movies NOW are genric Action/Spy Movies.. which they don't try anything new.. and don't want to show range to the Bond Character or just take a chance !???? (

They just see the bottomline which is money.. and they are making a ton of it!:) BUT I bet in 10 -15 years NO one will be renting or talking about the Pierce Era

Where's the Range?? It is just the same stupid movie??

damn, Timothy only did 2 and he showed a range in his..

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 11:46 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

They just see the bottomline which is money.. and they are making a ton of it!:) BUT I bet in 10 -15 years NO one will be renting or talking about the Pierce Era

Where's the Range?? It is just the same stupid movie??  

damn, Timothy only did 2 and he showed a range in his..

I think the only people in 10 to 15 years who will be talking about the Pierce era will be those who have Pierce as their "first Bond" or have some puppy crush on Pierce (who will be close to 70 at the time).
I think the majority of Bond fans will remember Pierce's movies as somewhat underwhelming and unremarkable. I don't think Pierce (despite his best efforts) has managed to make himself stand out in the way that Roger Moore, Sean Connery (and to a lesser extent) Timothy Dalton.

#18 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 12:06 PM

one thing i did like about fyeo....bibi dahl

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 02:36 PM

OOhhh yes, always liked the Bibi Dahl character. It was great to see Lynn Holly Johnson on the "Inside For Your Eyes Only" DVD documentary.

#20 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 02:47 PM

Looks like we got some people on here who hate Brosnan....oh, well, I dislike Dalton, so it evens out...I think most of the Dalton fans suffer from a massive inferiority complex, knowing Pierce's movies are so popular and successful with the public. Dalton was unable to do either of those things. Oh, well!

BTW, on topic, I love For Your Eyes Only....probably Roger's best Bond. I hope Pierce's Bond #5 will be similar to Roger's Bond #5, and not so much Sean's Bond #5.

#21 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 02:59 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Looks like we got some people on here who hate Brosnan...

I don't think anyone on here hates Brosnan. Some of us have been dissapointed with his movies (although GE was pretty fabulous) and his lackluster underwhelming performance as 007 but I don't see "hate" anywhere.

#22 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 04:30 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Looks like we got some people on here who hate Brosnan....oh, well, I dislike Dalton, so it evens out...I think most of the Dalton fans suffer from a massive inferiority complex, knowing Pierce's movies are so popular and successful with the public.  Dalton was unable to do either of those things.  Oh, well!

BTW, on topic, I love For Your Eyes Only....probably Roger's best Bond.  I hope Pierce's Bond #5 will be similar to Roger's Bond #5, and not so much Sean's Bond #5.

Well Cubby's Kids/Pierce ruined the 3rd movie being the best/great

#23 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 06:00 PM

i just wish to my soul that pierce would stop trying to be connery when he plays bond, damn it pierce, be yourself

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 02:18 AM

He needs some new scriptwriters...

#25 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 09:52 AM

I agree.. Pierce isn't writting this ****.. he actually said in a few interviews he wanted them to do more of a stretch to the character ie: OYMSS... but they don't listen..

I mean come on.. a few of his 007 flick.. end the say way more or less.. IN THE WATER??

I would be FIRST in line if they Hired John Glen to do Pierce's Next 007 Movie .. or anyone of his Bond Movies!!

John knows the "blueprint" to making the most entertaining/different Bond Films :)

#26 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 12:05 PM

I agree.. Pierce isn't writting this ****.. he actually said in a few interviews he wanted them to do more of a stretch to the character ie: OYMSS... but they don't listen..

I mean come on.. a few of his 007 flick.. end the say way more or less.. IN THE WATER??

I would be FIRST in line if they Hired John Glen to do Pierce's Next 007 Movie .. or anyone of his Bond Movies!!

John knows the "blueprint" to making the most entertaining/different Bond Films :)

Making James Bond movies is big business now. Broccoli's kids (bless 'em) don't have the old movie making charm their Dad did.

#27 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 08:33 PM

All this talk about FYEO.. I went to my local public library.. at there for can rent movies for free..

well I Got FYEO!!!:)

and the GREAT thing is at the Library.. they had 8 COPIES of it!!

8!!!

:)

* I went and looked at other bonds and they didn't have more then 3..

So that tells you how popular this movie is:)

#28 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:15 PM

I think just looking at the cross section of support for FYEO on these boards shows how loved this movie is....With a few vocal exceptions even non Roger fans place it in the top half of their lists.

Its definately in my Top Five..

#29 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 12:00 AM

The begining is pretty hardcore.. for a PG Movie :)

#30 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:08 AM

All this talk about FYEO.. I went to my local public library.. at there for can rent movies for free..

well I Got FYEO!!!:)

and the GREAT thing is at the Library.. they had 8 COPIES of it!!

8!!!

:)

* I went and looked at other bonds and they didn't have more then 3..

So that tells you how popular this movie is:)

or it could be argued thats how unpopular it is. heaps and heaps of copies that nobodys using, while all the others are all hired.
i wouldnt have that opinion though, i love FYEO :)