18 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:25 PM

Saw the trailer for "League of Extraordinary Gentleman".....It seemed they are really trying to play down the notion that it is an ensemble piece and focus on Connery's portrayal of Allan Quatermain.

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 08:39 PM

Very true.

They have also completely dropped the LXG abbreviation, thankfully. That was the stupidest short title ever. The proper abbreviation for a film from the time frame would have been TLOEG. Under no circumstances should they have used the dred ‘X’ for Extraordinary.

#3 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 02:03 PM

I think that LXG trailor looks like @#$%^&*!:eek:
A total hollywood cookie cutter commercial fastfood tie-in CGI fest starring Sean doing his usual sleep walking routine.
I used to worship Sean Connery but he has done so many lousy films in the last 12 years (ditto Harrison Ford) and his one trick poney style of acting has grown so tired for me I'm begining to hate him! Entrapment? Anyone else embarrassed for him when they saw that? He's ready for Piney Acres....:)

"But of coursh you are"!:)

#4 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 02:18 PM

Well, he had good quote in "Entrapment":

"Never trust a naked woman."

#5 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 02:21 PM

The whole "rule #1" dialogue has been done before...Pierce would have been better for Entrapment-he was old enough to be a veteran thief but not a grandfather!

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot
I think that LXG trailor looks like @#$%^&*!:eek:  
A total hollywood cookie cutter commercial fastfood tie-in CGI fest starring Sean doing his usual sleep walking routine.

What are you talking about? How can it be a Hollywood cookie cutter when it is based on a novel - which apparently it follows quite closely!

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 09:40 PM

Sorry, it looks stupid to me. Too many special effects-I'm tired of special effects as a crutch for story telling I guess. I shouldn't knock it before seeing it but the trailor doesn't make me interested at all.

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 11:11 PM

I am interested in seeing how far they depart from the novel on which it is based. I hope they keep it faithful.

#9 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 11:19 PM

Out of all the films that are being released this summer, this one looks decent. I like a good action-oriented guilty pleasure every now and then, if that's what it turns out to be. And on the note of the LXG abbreviation, I think they only used that because TLOEG is a little confusing for teasers and posters, and for a big action film, the abbreviation of LEG is just laughable.:)

#10 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 06:12 PM

saw it this weekend. was pleasently surprised by it given the rumoured probs during production.

its enjoyable enough inspite of heavy doses of cgi, but then it is meant to be escapist fantasy (i think)

u can see precisely why connery made a great bond. when he throws a punch, u feel like he'll clobber u into next week. as for the one-liners...well, he still delivers them with great aplomb.

btw, the boss in the movie is 'M'....got a lot of chuckles out of that from the older members of the audience. M, later it is revealed, does stand for something other than the 007 M.....

#11 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot
I used to worship Sean Connery  

"But of coursh you are"!:)

oh my...

may God have mercy on our eternal souls for such misplaced and pathetic ideas

#12 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 08:54 PM

Originally posted by ray t

oh my...

may God have mercy on our eternal souls for such misplaced and pathetic ideas

Connery, in my all to humble opinion is probably the only septugenarian actor who could pull off another Bond film even without his toupee.

Indeed worship him.

#13 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 05:07 PM

Originally posted by ray t
saw it this weekend. was pleasently surprised by it given the rumoured probs during production.

its enjoyable enough inspite of heavy doses of cgi, but then it is meant to be escapist fantasy (i think)

I saw the film last week. I agree it wasn't as bad as I thought it would. My friend says it remains relatively true to the graphic novel. It does however, have it's faults. I mean really, the Nautilus was the size of the Titanic & nevermind how it manuevered around the canals of Venice!

What's up wTom Sawyer & what was his motivation for joining the league?

#14 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 05:09 PM

I thought this new film was a remake of the first version?

#15 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Von Hammerstein

Connery, in my all to humble opinion is probably the only septugenarian actor who could pull off another Bond film even without his toupee.

Indeed worship him.

no mortal is worthy of worship, especially a chap who'll be "meeting his maker" when his time comes

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Robinson

I saw the film last week. I agree it wasn't as bad as I thought it would. My friend says it remains relatively true to the graphic novel. It does however, have it's faults. I mean really, the Nautilus was the size of the Titanic & nevermind how it manuevered around the canals of Venice!

What's up wTom Sawyer & what was his motivation for joining the league?

The addition of Tom Sawyer was purely to make the movie more marketable in the United States.

#17 booyeah_

booyeah_

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 12:52 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

The addition of Tom Sawyer was purely to make the movie more marketable in the United States.

I agree. Sherlock Holmes or Campion Bond would have been better than Sawyer but I still loved LXG.

#18 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:49 AM

Yes, the studio felt Americans wouldn't get the film unless there was an American in it.....now are they insulting my intelligence as an American or is it that the execs don't get it?
And really have you ever decided to not see a movie because someone from your country wasn't in it? I mean Sean Connery is pretty successful and he's not American...

#19 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:41 PM

not many big guns are american apart from the black actors (denzel, will smith, sam jackson):

jackman, russel crowe, gibson, heath ledger, guy pearce (all aussie)arnie, hugh grant, ewan mcgregor, jude law, colin farrel now...only bruce willis and tom cruise...stalone and travolta are passe'...what else....jim carrey and mathew perry are canadian..