9 replies to this topic

#1 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:58 AM

I always love to read fan fiction, so let's see if I can improvise an outline to your liking. Here we go.

Title: 'Crash Dive'

James Bond: Dominic West ('The Wire')

Bond girls-

Gala Brand: Saffron Burrows ('Enigma')
Barbara Rome: Maggie Gyllenhaal ('Secretary')

Allies-

Luitenant-colonel Rattray: Rufus ('Amelie')
Philip Brand 001: Dougray Scott ('Enigma')
M: Judi Dench ('Die Another Day')
Robinson: Colin Salmon ('Die Another Day')
Tanner: Bill Kitchen ('The World is Not Enough')

Villain-

Samuel Hammerstein: Ciar

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 02:38 AM

Originally posted by crashdrive
Barbara Rome: Maggie Gyllenhaal ('Secretary')

Now you're talkin'!

#3 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 02:55 AM

Sounds very interesting. I'll be looking foward to this project and I wish you the best of luck writing it, cause I know how hard it can be to write sometimes.

#4 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 02:36 PM

Why bother making Gala the wife of a Double-O ? Why not make her the Double-O ? It would be an interesting twist as it were. And you can still give Gala and Bond the previous relationship as it seems that you might be.

Other than that it sounds great !

And who'd be singing the title song ?

One more thing: shouldn't it be CRASHDIVE ?

#5 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 04:40 PM

I always wanted to see Bond work together with another double-0, like in the opening sequence of 'GoldenEye'. I also was intrigued by the idea of Bond flirting with the wife of someone who might save Bonds life someday. But it's very important that Gala serves a purpose in the story. She'll be the middle(wo)man between MI6 and Hammerstein.

I'd love Rufus Wainwright, Wasis Drop, Eskobar, Heather Nova, Ocean Color Scene, U2 or Badly Drawn Boy to write and perform a Bond title song.

As for the title, 'Crashdrive' comes from the Fleming short story 'From a View to a Kill'. It's a codename used by Secret Service, which means "bad news, the worst kind". It has a nice ring to it like 'Thunderball', it's 100 % Fleming and, like every good Bond title, it has a double meaning (bear in mind Bond's experience with cars). And I'm sure it's Crashdrive. That's what my copy says anyway.

#6 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 09:47 AM

But if Gala is the middle 'man' between Hammerstein and MI6 then doesn't that kinda make the Barbara role a little redundant ?

#7 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 10:12 AM

Actually, the term Fleming writes in “From a View to a Kill” is "Crash dive". Two words, and not "drive". I'm actually surprised I haven't noticed it in your nickname before. You sure your copy says otherwise? My copy definitely says "Crash dive". Seems to sound more correct to me as a phrase anyway.

#8 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 11:04 AM

That's really odd. My copy says 'crash drive', but I also think 'crash dive' sounds more logical. Perhaps they translated it wrong. Eventhough my copy is an Dutch translation, they didn't translate 'crash drive'. Well, in that case, I think Crash Dive would be a better title, but unfortunately it has already been used.

As for the character of Barbara Rome, she's a minor character. She's the only woman Bond ends up sleeping with, really just to spike Hammerstein (and because he''s not getting any from Gala Brand :)). I thought it was clich

#9 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 06:12 PM

Here's my 'manipulation' of the plot. Hope some of the ideas make a little sense:

Title: CrashDive

James Bond: Pierce Brosnan

Bond girls:

Sabrina Savage: Sarah Michelle Gellar
Barbara Rome: Maggie Gyllenhaal

Allies-

Phillip Savage: Colin Farrell

M: Judi Dench
Robinson: Colin Salmon
Tanner: Bill Kitchen

Villain-

Samuel Hammerstein: Sean Connery

Director: Lee Tamahori
Director of photography: John Mathieson
Composer: Craig Armstrong

Themetune: Will Young

Plot:

After a failed assassination on M, Bond gets the blame and loses his 00 status. In order to get it back, he teams-up with 001 ( Phillip Savage ) to find out who wanted M dead and why.

Their relationship becomes difficult when Bond meets 001's wife ( and his former lover ... ): Sabrina.

After an operation where 001 is killed, Bond ( who is 'pardoned' by MI6 )and Sabrina have to put their differences aside when they discover that a wealthy businessman ( and the employer of Sabrina Savage ) by the name of Samuel Risico was behind both the assassination and the murder of 001.

Risico is planning to wipe out London with an earthquake generator in a fiendish plan for revenge on MI6.

Tagline: New Bond. New Adventure. Same Number.

Quote:

James Bond (while being intimate with Hammerstein's mistress Barbara Rome): "When in Rome"

AND

Risico: "Building houses is my business Mr. Bond. Killing is merely a side effect."

Bond: "Unlucky for you killing is my business."

AND

Risico: "I got out when I could, 007 ..."

Bond: "You were kicked out."

Risico: "You say potato. I say poh-tah-to"

#10 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 07:10 PM

Well, if Sarah Michelle Gellar plays a Bond girl, it will the first time I'll refuse to watch a Bond film. She should stick to television. Bond girls should have class, not be late for it.

And I don't think it would be smart to change the names from Brand to Savage. Especially since it sounds too much like the villains name of 'Johnny English'. What's wrong with Brand?

I doubt Colin would agree to play a Bond villain. He's too much of a name to do that. Also, he's a little short to play a secret agent Bond would assist. Not to mention young. And I never ever want to see Sean Connery as a Bond villain. It would only confuse audiences and mess with the series continuity.

I really don't want to see Tamahori return. His input wasn't anything to write home about. If we had to pick an ex Bond director, my choice would be Martin Campbell, but Michael Caton-Jones would be a perfect future Bond choice.

Will Young? I doubt he could write his own themesong. I'd prefer real musicians who write and perform their own songs and who have the tendency to stick around for a few years.

As for the plot, didn't we already one of Bonds former lovers in 'Tomorrow Never Dies'? I like the idea of a Bond girl who never sleeps with Bond eventhough she is attracted by him. Hence Gala Brand. And why always kill the other double-0? It would be interesting to see Bond saving the day with the help of a fellow agent.

As for changing the villains name into Risico; ehmm nah. It sounds too hokey. I love the name Hammerstein. He was one of the badguys in the Fleming shortstory 'For Your Eyes Only'. I also think the bad guys evil plan sounds cliche. Didn't we already have London as the target in 'GoldenEye'? And I believe the motive was also revenge on MI:6. And I'm sorry but the "poh-tah-to" dialogue sounds awfull.