This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Since TLD and OCTOPUSSY are in one book are they very short and are they good?

10 replies to this topic

#1 DieAnotherDay57

DieAnotherDay57

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:52 AM

i DONT KNOW THATS WHY IM ASKING

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 02:39 AM

The answers are: yes, and yes.

Not incredibly short, though. Expect a very elaborate version of Octopussy's story about her father from the film OP. TLD is basically the sniper incident from the beginning of the film of the same name.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 02:48 AM

“The Living Daylights” is my favourite Bond short story. It is a great story. “Octopussy” is also a great story, but it is not a story for literary Bond novices. They will be disappointed. “The Property of a Lady” is a good story also included in the newer UK and most all US versions of Octopussy and The Living Daylights. The very newest Penguin prints of the book also include “007 in New York”.

#4 Dr.Carl Mortner

Dr.Carl Mortner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 05:34 AM

Actually, "Octopussy" was the first Fleming I ever read. Although very little of it has to do with Bond, I think it gave me a bit of a primer for Fleming's style and prepared me for the culture shock of going from the films to the books.

"The Living Daylights" is a great short story. Actually, I think Fleming was a far better short story writer than a novelist - this and most of the stories from For Your Eyes Only are much more action-packed and captivating than many of the full-length novels.

#5 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 08:13 AM

Octopussy and TLD is a good read. Comes with the property of a lady as * mentioned. Good read. But I feel Fleming's best short story work is found in For your eyes only. All cracking reads. Much better than O & TLD

#6 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:04 PM

Like size, length isn't everything (apparently!) :)
Despite their brevity, these two short stories are excellent. TLD is for me an almost perfect James Bond story. You learn more about his character, attitude to work, women and life in these few tense pages. The film of TLD managed to capture the spirit of the short story and remains very faithful in a filmic sort of way. Whilst TLD is not the best way to be introduced to the literary 007, it shouldn't be dismissed entirely.

#7 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:18 PM

Yes, The Living Daylights is a brilliant short story.

#8 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 06:25 PM

The living daylist is my favourite Fleming short story.
I like octopussy very much too. You can read it again and see a lot of links between Fleming and Dexter smythe.( Heart attack, tired of life, killed by his creation...)

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 08:37 PM

Agreed about “Octopussy”, Cesari. In fact, a while back I wrote a short article called To Whom It May Concern: Octopussy. The article is not for those who have not read the story, but it discusses my thoughts on the true meaning of the story.

#10 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 09:03 PM

I've just read your article Mister Asterix and I find it good.
I don't know as you say who James Bond is in that short story excepted James Bond. Or maybe a symbolic image of doom.
But may be the octopus could be a symbol of James Bond. A character he likes but is too intrusive in Fleming's private life. He tried to kill Bond twice or three times but couldn't make up his mind to do it. And having to write one novel a year it is James Bond who killed him.

#11 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 11:36 PM

>>And having to write one novel a year it is James Bond who killed him.<<

Well, that and the booze and fags :)