9 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 11:42 PM

I remember laughing when Bond (disguised as Sir Hilary) told that girl to call him "Hilly" in On Her Majesy's Secret Service. If you arn't already laughing at a man named Sir Hilary, you have to chuckle when he tells her to call him "Hilly". Did any of you find this tiny part of the funny? Not lol funny, but funny because the nickname "Hilly" sounds so stupid.

#2 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 11:45 PM

Well, yeah I did. Actually I found Lazenby as a Bond stupid :)

OHMSS was a great story and if delivered by any other Bond it would have been one of the best.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 12 May 2003 - 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Righty007
Did any of you find this tiny part of the funny? Not lol funny, but funny because the nickname "Hilly" sounds so stupid.

It was funny (chuckle), but it was also a way for Bond in disguise to come across as even less harmless than was already thought. It was just to reinforce the illusion.

The real Sir Hillary, of course, would have been mortified to learn that his good name was being abused in that way.

#4 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 03:48 AM

i do have to say i found it funny even though i dont really like that movie, of all bonds i watch that one the least of all...maybe 1 time every 3 years

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 12:34 AM

I just watched 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' recently. It was okay.

#6 Irma Bunt

Irma Bunt

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 12:49 PM

You guys are all missing something. This film is clearly the finest in the series. Mr Lazenby was brilliant. Read the book and then watch the film again. It's believable Bond at its best.

#7 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 03:15 PM

Lazenby was one of the best Bond ever. The movie is the best of the best. The Hilly thing is just hysterical. It's all taken from the book, calling him Sir Hillary, and Bond biting people's heads off.

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 02:21 AM

You know, I was watching it the other day, and Bond makes a mistake, sort of: he says bezants are 'gold balls'. Of course, in Thomas Bond's coat of arms they happen to be gold, but the correct blazon (heraldic description) for 'gold balls' is 'bezants or'. 'Bezants' merely mean balls--which would have been an almost-as-funny response.

#9 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 04:52 AM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Lazenby was one of the best Bond ever.  The movie is the best of the best.  The Hilly thing is just hysterical.  It's all taken from the book, calling him Sir Hillary, and Bond biting people's heads off.

with moore or connery it would of been the best, george was all wrong for it

#10 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 01:08 PM

Moore wouldn't have been as good, because this movie had a lot of good, realistic fistfights, and I don't think Roger was all that good doing those. He had his moments, but Connery and Lazenby really were the best at those scenes. Moore did too much kickboxing and stepping aside to let his stunt double in too frequently. Look at the fight at the pyramids in Spy Who Loved Me. Martin Grace actually does most of that fight. I wish they'd let Pierce do more punching instead of the mowing down with machine guns.