26 replies to this topic

#1 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:38 AM

I just watched Moonraker on DVD tonight.. and I have to say I LOVED IT! I was allot better then I remembered..

the villian was great.. and I never caught he was trying to Play "God" at the end.. he wanted to start his own new race.. and he be the "leader" more or less God..

The Sets were amazing!! Just the whole feel was huge! the Look and you can tell they spent allot of money!!

is it true if you adjust the figures for Moonraker it would ahve made $500 million in 2003??

I have to say I really enjoyed this film.. and loved the FX! They did a great job..

#2 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:22 AM

the only thing that i kinda did not like was the fake snake that was to kill bond, no matter what they did, it still looked fake

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 02:42 PM

Excellent, 4 Ur Eyez Only! I think Moonraker deserves a second look. I think it's a much better Bond movie than most people assume. I

#4 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 03:16 PM

I too dig Moonraker....it's very underrated...

#5 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:41 PM

A poor James Bond film like Moonraker is better than some overhyped films like XXX . It is a good film , plus it has John Barry 's music .

#6 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:56 PM

yeah I actually like it as much as LALD ..about tied now:)

and some more exciting news for me.. I talked to my brother and he said we saw it in the movie theater!!

I was very young.. but watching it last night I do remember a few scenes where there was crowd reaction? it was weird but it started to come back to me..

he said we saw it.. I must have been 8 years old :)

I remember: jaws going through the metal detector, bond shooting down the last bomb at the end & a few other little things..

that was the first time I saw it in widescreen and it triggered memories.. then I asked my brother and he saidhe thinks we went too

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 11:38 AM

The first two-thirds of "Moonraker" is excellent. However the whole Jaws in love thing spoils the movie for me.

#8 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 12:28 AM

Moonraker is a fun Bond adventure. I love the scene where Bond shoots one of Drax's thugs in a tree to which Drax's says "You missed." and Bond's reply "Did I?" :) Also the scene where Corrine Dufour is killed by Drax's dogs is pretty eerie. John Barry's score and Shirley Bassey's title song are excellent. My only problem with the film is that it is a little too gadget heavy but it is still fun to watch.

#9 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 12:33 AM

I love Moonraker!

#10 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 12:38 AM

i do to righty

#11 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 04:32 AM

I think what makes this one great is.. THE SETS!!! Usually a bond has maybe 3 good/amazing sets...

but in moonraker they must have had 8 :)

#12 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 05:16 AM

Oh, I love it. My second favourite Moore film, after A View to a Kill.

If you take it for what it is - a fun film, it's really close to being perfect, IMO. I find it incredibly likable, though obviously I'm wrong there since Moonraker is so poorly regarded.

#13 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 06:29 AM

yes it does have a epic feel!! they go everywhere.. they have huge sets almost in every scene.. the money is for sure on the screen!

not my favorite roger bond.. but I have a new respect for it!!

roger is clearly the best bond.. he has sooooo many different styles to his movies. everything anyone would want.. and they are all solid movies! all the stories flow perfectly,no rush,no bad editing,no dragging moments in 6/7 of his movies ( I personally feel AVTAK is off.. very good begining & ending..middle is sloppy a little loose)

but the place burned down WE all have to give the bond crew a break on that one!

but Roger's other 6 are amazing,perfect,exciting,action/serious/fun movies!

Thats why I go to the theater to be entertained :) doesn't everyone?? not to sit their and be bored by a slow moving boring average repeated story (like other bond actor's era)

Roger's for sure that the summer blockbuster feel! which George & Steven clearly copied with their hits of the mid 70s-early 80's

:)

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:26 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
Thats why I go to the theater to be entertained :) doesn't everyone?? not to sit their and be bored by a slow moving boring average repeated story (like other bond actor's era)

Roger's for sure that the summer blockbuster feel! which George & Steven clearly copied  with their hits of the mid 70s-early 80's

Thank you for saying what I have been thinking

#15 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 09:48 PM

I like to say it's the best of the worst. Because it's a good film, and the only flaw was that the book was not used (and the laser effects).

#16 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 05:41 AM

yes.. I agree to many lasers! But I do feel that their models were better then ILM and star wars: a new hope'e models ...

they did a great job with fx!!

the guys in space suits and laser guns was too much.. and cheezy:eek:

BUt the rest looked pretty good! Lets NOT forget wat star wars looked like before the 1997 special edition upgrade :)

#17 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 06:05 AM

ALL IN ALL MOONRAKER IS JUST FUN, we need another fun bond film like this

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 10:57 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
we need another fun bond film like this

Not likely to happen...
I started a thread in the PB forum asking for a "fun" Bond movie and was shot down.

It seems a lot of the PB fans want their 007 movies to be long, tedious, boring, with unconvincing action set pieces and pompous (like TWINE) :)

#19 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 08:32 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

Not likely to happen...
I started a thread in the PB forum asking for a "fun" Bond movie and was shot down.  

It seems a lot of the PB fans want their 007 movies to be long, tedious, boring, with unconvincing action set pieces and pompous (like TWINE) :)

LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL

I BILLION TIMES AGREE!!!!:)

Hey I dont mind Sean's "slow" story driven 007 Movies.. but Pierce's fake versions of those.. but done with a crappy nothing plot.. and Pierce trying to mimic Sean like some groupie.. and NOT an actor who brings something new to the role/character..is just plain boring.

Just try to watch Goldeneye..STRAIGHT Through!! zzzzzZZzzZzZzZzZzZzzZzZzZ.. wow is that boring!

Howard Stern was talking about Goldeneye when it first came out.. and he said he doesn't even consider Pierce as James Bond.. he said he was a total BORE.. and Howard said he had watch Goldeneye in 7-15 minute spirts.. because it was soooo damn boring & slow! I 100% Agree

The Kids of Cubby SUCK! They have no clue.. the directors suck now.. Pierce is a fruit/bore! ..and brings nothing to the role.. The whole crew just looks bored.. the models suck now.. well the way they shoot them look fake.

Also dont EVER put CGI in a James Bond Bond!! Halle Berry cliff driving looked sooooooooooooooo FAKE!

LTK was the last James Bond..if you ask me! We had Cubby.. John Glen ..the old professional crew.. Timothy Dalton.. and script that touched on OYMSS of Bond's growth past his wifes death! Plus Tim brought something different and new.. playing Bond from the Books!!

~ I can figure out if you LIKE Sean.. then watch a Sean Bond Film?? WHY would you want to see a guy "pretend" badly to be Sean.. NOT Bond? But "sean connery" playing James Bond???

Very odd 007 Era?:eek::):)

Wake me Up when they get a New Actor!! zZzZzzZzzZzZzzZzZz

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 04:49 PM

I started a thread in the "Die Another Day" forum asking people what they think will be the reaction/views of "Die Another Day" in 20 or 30 years time. The prevailing opinion seems to be that it will be viewed as a very minor film somewhat like YOLT is viewed today..

#21 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:32 PM

You know what I dont even really blame Pierce for "his era".. because with lets say Timothy Dalton doing Goldeneye- the present.. the movies really wouldn't be that much better...

the scripts..the directors..the producing without cubby.. is all off

so Pierce isn't the whole problem.. There is soooo many problems before he even shows up on the set.

This new era RUIN the 3rd movie being great

TWINE sucked!

I think the only thing I like with this era is the Main Title Sequence Graphics...

The songs suck.. be the visionals are cool.

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 06:14 PM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
You know what I dont even really blame Pierce for "his era".. because with lets say Timothy Dalton doing Goldeneye- the present.. the movies really wouldn't be that much better...

the scripts..the directors..the producing without cubby.. is all off

so Pierce isn't the whole problem.. There is soooo many problems before he even shows up on the set.

This new era RUIN the 3rd movie being great

TWINE sucked!

I think the only thing I like with this era is the Main Title Sequence Graphics...

The songs suck.. be the visionals are cool.

We think a lot alike 4 Ur Eyez Only....

One of the pieces or advice that Cubby gave his heirs was "don't let them mess it up!" He probably didn't forsee that it would be his kids who would screw up the franchise.
I was getting upset with Pierce for awhile there.

Then I watched "Goldeneye" again (the last movie made while Cubby was still with us) and I remembered how (in 1995) I thought it was a great movie and Pierce made a wonderful 007. He was challenged and fresh and in great form. The script was crackling and witty with wonderfully delicious characters and set pieces. It really was a fabulous movie and if Pierce had only made that one to this day I would probably count him as my favorite Bond actor.

Since then the scripts have been dire and TWINE really did suck the big one. The only thing I liked about it was the boat chase and some of the Mi6 behind the scenes stuff at the Scottish castle. The rest of the movie was a travesty.

#23 Dr.Carl Mortner

Dr.Carl Mortner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 06:18 PM

"Since then the scripts have been dire and TWINE really did suck the big one. The only thing I liked about it was the boat chase and some of the Mi6 behind the scenes stuff at the Scottish castle. The rest of the movie was a travesty."

A-MEN! To quote Comic Book Guy, "Worst . . . episode . . . EVER!!!".

#24 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 06:37 PM

"Pierce is a fruit/bore!"

LOL and he looks like an aging male model too!

I liked Moonraker. It was a very campy film but it was fun. I prefer the more serious tone but I think Roger was the right Bond for the '70s. The score was great, The song was great and Drax was a great vilian.It's scenes in RIO save the film for me. FYEO is my favorite Roger film.

Wake me up when we get a new actor as well! Cheers!

#25 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot

Wake me up when we get a new actor as well! Cheers!

I don't think Pierce is the problem with the newer movies .... Look at "Goldeneye" - it's a great James Bond movie!

#26 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 06:45 PM

The songs in the Brosnan era are horrible. I have a CD with all songs up to Licence to kill and I have no desire to update it. I hate all four songs. I don't hate any of the previous 16 songs.

Moonraker is a great song. Why haven't they done a romantic song in such a long time? They all have that same tone of Bond sass but no sap. I miss a good sappy bond song like FYEO and Moonraker. I wish they'd hire Sade and add some class again.

#27 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 06:54 PM

I disagree.I thought Goldeneye was mediocre; I saw it a few times because I was dying for a Bond film after 6 years but it doesn't hold up well at all .I don't blame PB for the modern era films' faults because he's not writing or directing but a new actor can usher in a change and that's why i'd like to see PB retire. He's lookin' old too.