15 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Carl Mortner

Dr.Carl Mortner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 03:01 AM

I have a really strange Connery pet peeve that has bugged me ever since I've been a Bond fan. The Walther PPK is just too small a gun for Connery's huge hands. I mean, it looked great in the hands of Roger Moore and even Timothy Dalton, but with Connery it's like you're seeing this big huge guy with this tiny, tiny gun. Has this ever bothered anyone else?

#2 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 03:27 AM

i have never given it a thought to tell u the truth

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 04:05 PM

I have noticed this too, although I can't say it bothers me. Just shows the guy was well suited to play Bond.

#4 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 06:55 PM

its to bad that sean did not have the gun brosnan useses- the p99, he could have handled that gun, but alas it had not been made yet

#5 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 06:01 PM

You know what they say about big hands.....

he wears big gloves.

#6 DieAnotherDay57

DieAnotherDay57

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 01:33 PM

He is a big guy and does have a small gun but that dosent bother me .

#7 Fawn

Fawn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 05:52 PM

His hands aren't so much big as they are chubby, IMO. True, the gun looked small, but then again, that way you know he's not compensating for something. :)

#8 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 07:09 PM

its to bad the p99 was not around then , he could have used it to devastating effect, that gun was made for a connery bond

#9 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 02:01 AM

My friend has a Glock.775 MM(?) pistol very much like Bond's Walther. That gun is tiny. the gun is smaller than most toy guns I had as a child.I think it's meant to be gun that is concealable which is appropriate for spies, no?

#10 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 02:08 AM

I hate the Walther P99! It embodies all the qualities of the new Bond action films that I hate! (See thread - Survival of the fittest) It is a deplorable weapon! Big, bulky, how the hell does it get concealed under his tuxedo? It has no finesse what-so-ever.

If he wanted a gun with more bullets in it then he should have gone for the Browning 1912 9mm which has a 13 shot capacity and it is slim enough to go under his tuxedo with little complaint from his tailor. Plus, it is a nice weapon.

Damn whoever made Bond change from his trusty PPK!

#11 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 06:47 PM

its just that the walther ppk has seen its time come and go, and in this age you need the p-99, i hated to see it go to but i understand the reason

#12 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 09:58 PM

No you don't! The Walther P99 is big, bulky and noisy. James Bond is a spy remember? He sneaks round people, favouring misdirection over confrontation so why does he need to be tooled up like he is? He needs something smaller and less obtrusive than that thing he has just now.

Bring back the PPK!

#13 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 12:29 AM

I like the Walther P99 for Brosnan or even Dalton but Moore and Connery the PPK was them...

#14 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Brix_Bond_007
No you don't! The Walther P99 is big, bulky and noisy. James Bond is a spy remember? He sneaks round people, favouring misdirection over confrontation so why does he need to be tooled up like he is? He needs something smaller and less obtrusive than that thing he has just now.

Bring back the PPK!

the ppk does not have enough bullets in it, and for this day and time bond needs a more reliable gun, the p-99 provides that

#15 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Brix_Bond_007

Bring back the PPK!

Yeah, and the same complaint's can be leveled at the Roger Moore era. Roger's Bond was not much of a spy either, Sean's Bond either. I dont see why these complaints are just now surfacing when the series has been playing fast and lose with the concept of Bond for decades.

#16 Dr.Carl Mortner

Dr.Carl Mortner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 03:06 AM

Well, it seems to me that in the high-testosterone, gun-as-phallic-symbol action movie climate of today, the PPK probably comes up short. Despite my Connery peeve, I miss it; well, as much as you can miss a gun in a movie;P. It WAS the character's gun for over 30 years and it certainly became identified with him.