A Chance to meet Raymond Benson

10 replies to this topic

#1 Bondboy71789

Bondboy71789

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 07:50 PM

Today (4/30) I got a once in a lifetime chance to meet Raymond Benson. He was at the local highschool doing a presentation on the history of bond and himself. I was able to get his autograph on his novelization Die Another Day. And I went early to talk to him. I was curious if any other people have met famous bond related people. Or if there is any questions you have, that he answered. Ill be more than willing to answer.

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:14 PM

You Chicagoites have got it made when it comes to meeting Mr. Benson. Someday I’ll make the five hour journey from St. Louis to shake the man’s hand, but It’ll wait until I can find another excuse to make the journey. Perhaps a Cards/Cubs game or maybe Hawks/Blues could coincide with one of Raymond’s book signings.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 09:13 PM

Did Raymond say anything about the future of the Bond books?

#4 Bondboy71789

Bondboy71789

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 09:25 PM

He said he will no longer be writing any more bond books, but that he will be writing his own types of novels. He loved it, but he dosent feel the need for him to continue.

#5 Blofeld's Barber

Blofeld's Barber

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 12:39 AM

Since I live in SE Wisconsin, I've met him several times at book signings and presentations. I also took a Bond class that he taught last year - very cool! Last summer, we met Richard Kiel and this Saturday we're seeing Maud Adams, Tanya Roberts and Caroline Munro. It's also my birthday on Saturday and I can't think of a better present!

#6 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:28 PM

I met Raymond Benson two years ago. It was during his researches for one of is books. I spend 10 days with him as a driver, translator and guide.
It was made of great moments of bond-talking, laughing, drinking and eating.
Now he is one of my best friends and all Raymond's work about Bond in my private oo7 collection from JBBC to last novels, but articles too are signed by him.
Last autumn I spent two days with Maud Adams during a convention. i was her bodyguard for one week-end a I had the great honour to conduct a public interview during two hours.
Great moment too.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:49 PM

Wow, that's great Cesari! I guess that was when he was researching Never Dream of Dying. Very cool.

#8 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 08:02 PM

I had met Raymond Benson on 2 occasions, 1 at the Creation James Bond convention in LA in 1994 and in 1997, he made an appearance in Jersey City, NJ, promoting his new book.

I have been fortunate to meet quite a few Bond celebs at varied events over the years.

#9 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 09:08 PM

Yes Zencat,
You are right. It was when Raymond was researching for NDOD.

#10 YellowDetective

YellowDetective

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:06 AM

I've not met Mr. Benson, but couldn't find a more suitable thread to post this (feel free to move if deemed necessary.)

I recently discovered that Mr. Benson was born in my hometown of Midland, TX, and graduated from Permian High in Odessa.

What is even cooler, though, is I was talking to a colleague of mine who is a professional photographer. Anyway, we were talking about cars (a subject very near and dear to the both of us, which led to a discussion of Bond cars.) So I very matter of factly mentioned that I had found out one of the Bond Authors was from West Texas. Well, it turns out my friend not only attended high school with Benson, but he told me some very interesting stories about him: his work on stage, some of the books he liked to read, etc. I got the feeling from talking to this photographer that even as a teenager, Raymond Benson knew he would one day be writing Bond Novels.

#11 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:03 AM

Well, like all of us here, Benson is a big Bond fan. Interesting though..

Oh.. and like Mr. 'Past' Asterix, I only live 3 hours away from Benson and I've never really bothered to go to one of his signings. I'd like to, but I don't really keep up when he's doing them. Perhaps when he releases his next book. For reasons outside my control, I also missed out on Higson a couple years ago. Shoulda, woulda if I coulda. :cooltongue: