This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

If Connery had come back one last time...

12 replies to this topic

#1 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 05:24 PM

If Sean Connery had come back with a new James Bond movie in the mid to late 90s, would you have supported it by going to see it? Say, for example, in this movie, Bond is called from retirement to battle SPECTRE again. Something along those lines...would you have gone for it?

#2 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 05:40 PM

If I had done around the time that he did 'The Rock', yes. I would have gone to see it.

From 'Entrapment' on, he looks a little too rickety for action parts, IMO.

Stu

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 05:46 PM

Well, yes. It’s James Bond. I’d go see a new George Lazenby Bond film if one were to come out today.

The next question should be would the general public have supported it?

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 12:36 AM

I think the answer to this question for a lot of Bond fans would rest on wether it was an EON movie, or a Kevin McClory movie.
Personally I loved, absolutely adore "Never Say Never Again" so my answer would be yes!
Of course Connery never will appear in an EON movie ever again, all that bad blood between the Broccoli clan and Connery has led Sir Sean to turn down every request to appear at Bond events in recent memory. Does anyone know what the outcome was from that court case when Connery sued EON??!!

#5 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:10 AM

That greedy **** probably got more money from the lawsuit. Had Connery put on the harness one more time, I would've watched it.

<< edited by moderator >>

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 11:43 AM

Originally posted by TheSaint
That greedy **** probably got more money from the lawsuit.

That's a little uncalled for....

#7 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 12:42 PM

TheSaint doesn't like Connery...Ok, that's fine. To quote Connery himself, "Well, we all can't be geniuses, can we?"

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 May 2003 - 12:53 PM

Originally posted by TheSaint
That greedy **** probably got more money from the lawsuit. Had Connery put on the harness one more time, I would've watched it.

<< edited by moderator >>

There's no call for that sort of language, TheSaint. Please be mindful of the fact that these forums are open for everyone to see, including children.

I'm sure you were just a little over exuberant this time in your dislike of Sean.

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 01:01 PM

I think it's safe to assume that whoever assumes the mantle of Bond be it a new actor or a returning actor, we will go to see/support it.

The only thing I had zero interest in and have yet to see any example of is the Bond Junior thing that came out in cartoon form a few years ago.

What in the name of all things sweet was that all about??

#10 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 02:05 AM

I wasn't alerted to the responses to my post in this thread, which is why this reply is late. I'm surprised at the responses to my comment. First off, I love Connery's Bond. Roger is my favorite but, I think Connery is great. Second off, I find it a little hard to believe that children would read these posts. Even if they did, since my remark was edited, how would they know what I said? Finally, whether you like it or not, Connery is a greedy pig! If he wasn't, he wouldn't have sued EON.

As for James Bond,Jr., EON okayed that in order to a)keep Bond's name out there during the lean years b)groom the next generation of Bond fans.

#11 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 04:10 AM

i could not have supported sean in the 80's or the 90's as bond, not after daf....no way

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:22 AM

Bondfinesse 007 -
NSNA was far better than DAF

#13 97SiR

97SiR

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Stuart
If I had done around the time that he did 'The Rock', yes.  I would have gone to see it.

Me too! I think Connery still looked great in The Rock so I don't see why he wouldn't be good enough to play Bond. If he would have returned now to play DAD ... well, that is another story. :)