24 replies to this topic

#1 DieAnotherDay57

DieAnotherDay57

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 06:54 PM

I thaught it was an ok bond movie. The only real problem with it was seeing 007 in Las Vegas. I thaught that that location was a bad choice but its stile a preety good 007 flick.

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 06:58 PM

I give it a 8/10.

#3 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 06:59 PM

I give it a 7/10. Bond was there before Danny Ocean, depending on how you want to look at it.

#4 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 07:22 PM

5/10

#5 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 10:12 PM

Loved it as a kid/preteen . Still enjoy it since it has a great title song . Connery was a sleepwalker !

#6 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 11:17 PM

Diamonds Are Forever has always been a favourite of mine, i love the novel and the film, the film is so 'kitsch' it's brilliant. It's a little gem, with a great title and 'the' best theme song of the series. I could go into more detail but it's late lol - ill dig up an old thread which i seem to remember pitted Diamonds Are Forever against You Only Live Twice and struck up some great arguments for both.

#7 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 05:48 AM

well to me the title song is very good (another of my fav. bond songs) but i just dont like to see bond fat old and out of shape, sean should have put in some time in the gym before he did this film.

i have to give it a 5

#8 Fraternal

Fraternal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:03 AM

I give it a 7 out of 10, it is an above average film, always has been a joy to watch. Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd are just perfect, and how can you not like the name 'Plenty O'Toole'.

#9 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 01:10 PM

Negative infinity out of 10. I hate this film with every fiber of my being.

Bad locations, lame stunts, boring women (a friend pointed out that Jill St John was the first "trashy" Bond girl - a disturbing trend), a fat and bored Connery in incredibly lame outfits, Blofeld - Bond's arch enemy and the man who killed Tracy - is treated as a cartoon in drag.

Entertainment Weekly called this "The first Roger Moore film" - once again showing how Roger gets the blame for the 70s Bond mistakes and low points - when in fact it was this film that heralded them all and set the style and tone.

Thank goodness Connery came back for NSNA.

#10 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 05:04 PM

8/10. One of the best Bond movies and certainly one of the most entertaining.

#11 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 07:17 PM

It is comic in some ways, but also it is very silly in so many ways, ı cant rate it but its Connerys worst.

#12 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 09:45 PM

Ah yes, Mr Moon, my 'Which is better: YOLT or DAF?' thread. I'm still undecided, but they both rate about a 4 out of 10.

#13 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 03:04 PM

Originally posted by doublenoughtspy
Negative infinity out of 10.  I hate this film with every fiber of my being...

I was gonna try and say something clever, but I don't have to now. "NEGATIVE INFINITY OUT OF TEN!" I can't top that.

I hated Fat Connery, I hated grey Connery, but I could've dealt with all of that, including Pink-shirt Connery, if they'd actually put him on a vendetta against the man who killed George's wife. (I mean, his wife--his wife.) The sloppy-fat-grey thing actually works for a man who is despondent about the loss of his wife, but now has a chance for revenge.

Instead, that piss-poor, B.S. script amplified Connery mailing it in. They could have kept in a few more elements of the novel, throw in Blofeld, since they screwed up the whole order of the books, and dropped the slapstick sh**. Die-hard Connery fans rip Roger Moore (sometimes) but Moore never, ever did anything remotely this bad, or comical. I mean, contrast it with Tracy's death (sticking to the novel) which preceded it, and you can see why there's such divisiveness with this movie. You either love it or hate it. Let's just say, I hope it's not in the next box set.

#14 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:07 PM

5/10

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:13 PM

Oh, this one is always moving in my rating of it. It's very exciting, however, the plot and certain characters cannot make up for it all of the time. Overall, either a 7 or 8 out of 10.

#16 Gumbold's_Safe

Gumbold's_Safe

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 10:18 PM

I always enjoyed the kitsch value of DAF, plus Wint/Kidd and the screenplay is quite witty and literate. Plus, Barry's score is one of my top 3 favorite Bond scores ever.

#17 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 06:48 AM

7/10 only because the first hour is quite good, the next half hour is so-so but the film is done in by the last 30 minutes which almost always put me to sleep.

#18 Oddfeld

Oddfeld

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 08:35 AM

1/10.

And that was for the elevator fight.

#19 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 07:12 PM

Diamonds Are Forever has a warm spot in my heart probably because it was the first Bond film I ever saw in the theatres. But aside from that it was pure 007, from the manhunt in the precredits, especially Bond's banter "There's something I'd like you to get off your chest." before strangling the girl with her bikini top. Blofeld "Making mudpies 007?", Bond's ingenious moustrap device that clamps the SPECTRE guard's fingers when he tries to get Bond's gun. Then of course there's Kidd and Wint, no incredible strength, no steel rimmed bowler, no shiny metal teeth or hook hand, just pure sophiticated menace sprinkled with a dash of kink(for the times). Charles Gray was the archtypical Bond villian with a space based weapon and the right mixutre of civility and savagery.
And lets not forget Jill St John and:
"Hi I'm Plenty"
"But of course you are."
One of Connery's finest Bond lines.

Fun for the whole family.

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 07:16 PM

I think Diamonds Are Forever is the weakest Connery entry in the series. He simply looked terrible (and actually a lot better 12 years later in Never Say Never Again) and it was all very bland and slow.
Connery really seemed very bored with the part. On the plus side though I do love the title song.

I give it 5/10.

#21 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Von Hammerstein
Diamonds Are Forever has a warm spot in my heart probably because it was the first Bond film I ever saw in the theatres. But aside from that it was pure 007, from the manhunt in the precredits, especially Bond's banter "There's something I'd like you to get off your chest." before strangling the girl with her bikini top. Blofeld "Making mudpies 007?", Bond's ingenious moustrap device that clamps the SPECTRE guard's fingers when he tries to get Bond's gun. Then of course there's Kidd and Wint, no incredible strength, no steel rimmed bowler, no shiny metal teeth or hook hand, just pure sophiticated menace sprinkled with a dash of kink(for the times). Charles Gray was the archtypical Bond villian with a space based weapon and the right mixutre of civility and savagery.
And lets not forget Jill St John and:
"Hi I'm Plenty"
"But of course you are."
One of Connery's finest Bond lines.

Fun for the whole family.

Same here, itwas my first new Bond film in the theater. I saw some of the earlier ones on rereleases, but this was the first brand new one for me on its first run.

So many impressions were made from that film, I still think the script is one of the wittiest in the series and I can't help but count it as one of my favorites, although to look at it in a lot of ways would be to recognize it's a mess. But I don't wanna.

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 09:11 PM

Excellent song! Anything Bond associated with Shirley Bassey can be considered magnificent. I also really like the main-title sequence. VERY dark, with light green shadows pacing through and the occasional dimaond and cat, it's pretty good.

#23 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 02:03 AM

I give it about a 2/10. I watch it the least. Can never really get into it. The only part of the movie I like is the elevater flight.

#24 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 03:59 AM

(No longer giving ratings)/10

Pure entertainment, impossible to tire of. Bright, glamourous showpiece of a film. Bambi, Thumper, Wint, Kidd, Shady Tree, Wilard Whyte; the films players are a fasinating collection of colourful oddballs, and the dialouge snaps, crackles, and pops as if it were my breakfast ceral. Where else would you see an elevator fight, gangsters, a fortune in diamonds, a pink tie, a mud bath and a moon buggy all in the same film?

#25 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 04:44 AM

6/10

I miss Laz already. :)