This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The Next Book Club Book: Choosing Book Number 2

20 replies to this topic

Poll: The Next Book Club Book: Choosing Book Number 2

The Next Book Club Book: Choosing Book Number 2

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 02:42 AM

It

#2 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 05:25 AM

I voted for Licence Renewed. As I posted in another thread, I think it would be interesting to compare and contrast the two author's first books. That's just my two cents.

#3 Fraternal

Fraternal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 11:15 AM

I voted for Live And Let Die, not because it is the one in the series, but because it is a bloody great book to read, one of the best.

#4 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 04:17 PM

My vote is in for Licence Renewed. Should be fun.

#5 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 01:14 PM

I voted for LALD... I 've read every Fleming Bond novel except FYEO and LALD. And from what I hear LALD is really good.

#6 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 07:45 AM

Just re-started FYEO, can this be included?

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:51 AM

I voted for High Time To Kill because May 29 will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first successful climb of Mt. Everest by Sir Edmond Hillary.

Simillar locations, and mountain climbing will soon be a topical subject. In fact, it already is on the National Geographic Channel.

#8 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 10:36 AM

Blofelds Cat - Did you see that documentary "The Dark Side of Everest" about the Everest nightmare of May 1996 when more people died in one day then ever before. Fascinating and horrifying. Also quite interesting having read "High Time to Kill" and about altitude sickness etc. To be honest the book doesn't even come close to the reality of the danger of being above 8000 metres.

Perhaps this warrants a new thread

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:05 PM

Originally posted by flares
Blofelds Cat - Did you see that documentary "The Dark Side of Everest" about the Everest nightmare of May 1996 when more people died in one day then ever before.  Fascinating and horrifying. Also quite interesting having read "High Time to Kill" and about altitude sickness etc.  To be honest the book doesn't even come close to the reality of the danger of being above 8000 metres.

No flares, I didn't get a chance to see it, but in situations like those fiction just can't compare to the real thing, and I assume that the real thing is an experience while the like of High Time To Kill is an enjoyment.

#10 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 03:23 PM

Oh without a doubt BC, and I think AHTTK touches upon the realities of those altitudes quite nicely, especially medical conditions such as HACE and HAPE.

Rather than as a criticism of the book, which I thoroughly enjoyed, my comment was meant more to emphasize the enormity of the subject and the tragedy of May 10th 1996.

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:19 AM

Originally posted by flares
Oh without a doubt BC, and I think AHTTK touches upon the realities of those altitudes quite nicely, especially medical conditions such as HACE and HAPE.  

Rather than as a criticism of the book, which I thoroughly enjoyed, my comment was meant more to emphasize the enormity of the subject and the tragedy of May 10th 1996.

I fully understood the meaning behind your comments, flares. :)

Actually, I saw an ad on the NG channel last night for the first time about the very docco you alluded to, so as a result of your comments I just may have to catch it. Thanks for the heads up, mate.

All this is why I think High Time To Kill would make for a great next Blades Library Book Club discussion due to the interest being generated on mountain climbing.

But, as a mod I'm not trying to influence the general consensus of opinion in this matter, though.
:)

#12 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:42 AM

Since many of us are reading Fleming for the first time I think it would be nice to folllow Fleming's progress with Bond, at least until he fully fleshes out the character.

My vote is Live and Let Die.

-- Xenobia

#13 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:12 AM

My vote is with LALD - for the same reasons are Barbara.

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 11:18 AM

Looks like Live And Let Die has pulled out a healthy lead, but there is still plenty of time to vote.

#15 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 04:56 AM

I should clarify that my suggestion of makingHigh Time To Kill was only that, a suggestion (even though I voted for it).

I too feel that Live and Let Die is the obvious choice for the next Book Club diagnosis.

#16 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:33 AM

I can Live with LALD;)

We'll see how the poll plays out, but it would be an obvious follow up to my CR article.

We now know who this guy (spy?) is, how does he come across next?

*Bryce grabs copy of Live & Let Die (again) and begins reading and taking notes*

#17 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 03:25 PM

we should go with LALD next...is the new Penguin release out yet?

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 04:02 PM

Not yet. I hear June 1.

#19 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Xenobia
Since many of us are reading Fleming for the first time I think it would be nice to folllow Fleming's progress with Bond, at least until he fully fleshes out the character.
My vote is Live and Let Die.
-- Xenobia

Excellent point Xenobia ! Many here are not aware of the differance between cinematic Bond and Literary Bond .

#20 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 06:51 PM

Well, Live and Let Die will be the next book - we'll shortly start coverage on the book; where to get it etc...

#21 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 07:53 PM

Live And Let Die please! I feel ready to return to Bond and I'd feel better if I read them in order... as Xen said it'd be nice to get to know the character before we deviate into other authors or later books like Moonraker or TMWTGG.

That's my two cents or tuppence as we say in Blighty.