12 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 12:39 AM

It's typical, I finally relent in the belief that it will never make it to video and buy the VHS tape and what happens. Universal Studios announce the release of "Ffolkes" (known as "North Sea HIjack" in the UK) for DVD on August 12.
This is by far IMO the best Roger Moore movie ever made and my number one favorite action movie.
For those who haven't seen it the movie stars Roger, James Mason, Anthony Perkins and David (Felix Leiter) Hedison. Based on a novel, Roger leads a commando unit against a group of terrorists who have planted booby trapped bombs on three oil rigs in the North Sea,
What makes this even more interesting is that Roger plays against type, he shows no interest in women and is amazed to discover that one of the people on the hijacked Norwegian vessel who actually shows some balls is actually a woman.
It was made in 1979 and released before Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister, but the producers must have sensed the political climate because the Prime Minister in the movie is played by a Thatcher look-a-like (I believe it's the same actress who later played Thatcher in FYEO).
Anyway, it's a great movie, and nice to see it's entrance onto DVD.

#2 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 01:31 AM

Has anyone seen Force 10 From Navarone with Barbara Bach, Edward Fox, Richard Kiel and Robert Shaw? It has Harrison Ford too, but much of the cast is from Bond.

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 01:55 AM

Originally posted by BondNumber7
Has anyone seen Force 10 From Navarone with Barbara Bach, Edward Fox, Richard Kiel and Robert Shaw? It has Harrison Ford too, but much of the cast is from Bond.

Yes a great movie,.....I have that on DVD also.

#4 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 02:21 AM

Aww, man! That rocks! I LOVE "Ffolkes"! A great movie. And Roger playing highly against type, but doing a superb job. Great adventure. And the ending: "Esther, Ruth and Jennifer."

#5 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 04:16 AM

wow this is cool!! I never saw this movie... and now to be honest I feel you go guys ALL turn me on to a new Roger Moore Movie!! well new for me :)

I am looking forward to seeing this...

I'll tell you what I think :)

thanks for the info :)

#6 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 04:19 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
It's typical, I finally relent in the belief that it will never make it to video and buy the VHS tape and what happens. Universal Studios announce the release of "Ffolkes" (known as "North Sea HIjack" in the UK) for DVD on August 12.
This is by far IMO the best Roger Moore movie ever made and my number one favorite action movie.
For those who haven't seen it the movie stars Roger, James Mason, Anthony Perkins and David (Felix Leiter) Hedison. Based on a novel, Roger leads a commando unit against a group of terrorists who have planted booby trapped bombs on three oil rigs in the North Sea,
What makes this even more interesting is that Roger plays against type, he shows no interest in women and is amazed to discover that one of the people on the hijacked Norwegian vessel who actually shows some balls is actually a woman.
It was made in 1979 and released before Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister, but the producers must have sensed the political climate because the Prime Minister in the movie is played by a Thatcher look-a-like (I believe it's the same actress who later played Thatcher in FYEO).
Anyway, it's a great movie, and nice to see it's entrance onto DVD.

hey IF your going to buy the DVD.. why don't you give me your vhs copy?? :)

#7 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 04:30 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

I can arrange that - PM me.

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 11:46 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

I already promised the VHS copy to another CBner...

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Wade
Aww, man! That rocks! I LOVE "Ffolkes"! A great movie. And Roger playing highly against type, but doing a superb job. Great adventure. And the ending: "Esther, Ruth and Jennifer."

Yeah I love the movie...for the DVD press release announcement check out www.dvdfile.com and www.thedigitalbits.com who are both reporting the August release.

#10 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Bryce (003)

I can arrange that - PM me.

thanks!

we have some cool dudes on this board!!

:cool:

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 05:50 PM

The DVD is now listed for preordering at:

www.dvdplanet.com

The direct link to the product listing for "Ffolkes" is:

http://www.dvdplanet...3080&format=DVD

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 06:11 PM

There is no artwork presently available for the upcoming DVD, but here is the cover artwork of the British VHS release.

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 11:01 AM

I am glad to see so many CBNers are also fans of "Ffolkes". I was always surprised the movie was not more beloved by fans.