This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

A Bond Director.

14 replies to this topic

Poll: A Bond Director.

A Bond Director.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 03:30 AM

Just out of curiosity, out of these four directors and just these four, who would you choose? Even if you dont particulary like any of the candiates, surely you would have to prefer one over the others. I know there are other polls like this around, but it's for research.

Cheers.

#2 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 03:59 AM

Since most folks consider Andy Osnard, Pierce Brosnan's character in "Tailor of Panama" his best Bond performance, (even though it ain't Bond), I will give my vote to John McTiernan.

-- Xenobia

#3 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:18 AM

I voted for Amiel, his clean and sharp directing in Entrapment really came off great on the screen.

#4 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:41 AM

McTiernan didn't direct Tailor of Panama, that was John Boorman, I gave my vote to Amiel, after The Core, I think he's a capable studio controlled director who won't get uppity...

#5 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:15 AM

Martin Campbell
Jon Amiel
John McTiernan
Lee Tamahori

#6 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:36 AM

Martin Campbell . He knows what he is dealing with when it comes to EON 's system. Plus he might have some new ideas about the character .

#7 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 12:57 PM

Jon Amiel because he's the only realistic candidate of the four. Campbell expressed no desire to direct a new Bond film. Also his schedule seems to be fully booked. Tamahori made some negative comments about EON's workmethod and he clashed with Brosnan on the set. Also, after the $400 million succes of 'Die Another Day' he may not be interested to work for EON's standard fee. And let's not forget that EON has not hired a secondtime Bond director for twenty years. As for McTiernan, well, he's American and in it's 40 year history EON has never hired an American to direct. Also McTiernan seems to have lost his touch with duds like 'The 13th Warrior' and 'Rollerball'.

Amiel however is the perfect choice to direct a Bond film. 'Entrapment' is one of the most Bondian Non-Bond films ever made. 'The Man Who Knew Too Little' is (imho) the best Bond spoof ever made. 'The Singing Detective' is the best British show ever made and Amiel was responsible for all three. His new film 'The Core' proves he knows how to handle big budgets, actors, special effects and action set pieces. Unlike McTiernan, he's on top of his game and his resume is a lot more interesting than Campbell's and Tamahori's. If EON knows what is right for Bond, they'll hire Amiel.

#8 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 01:41 PM

CrashDrive just what is EON standard fee for directors ? With over $$25 million box-office EON might think twice about hiring Tamahori.

#9 Deacon_Frost

Deacon_Frost

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:08 PM

Quinton Tarantino should direct.

#10 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:53 PM

Tarentino needs to go back to the video store. He's got no talent.

#11 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 05:13 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive
Amiel however is the perfect choice to direct a Bond film. 'Entrapment' is one of the most Bondian Non-Bond films ever made. 'The Man Who Knew Too Little' is (imho) the best Bond spoof ever made. 'The Singing Detective' is the best British show ever made and Amiel was responsible for all three. His new film 'The Core' proves he knows how to handle big budgets, actors, special effects and action set pieces. Unlike McTiernan, he's on top of his game and his resume is a lot more interesting than Campbell's and Tamahori's. If EON knows what is right for Bond, they'll hire Amiel.

I can see Amiel doing a Bond now. Irregardless of how much The Core has grossed, he would be a good choice.

Ultimately, it still boils down to what the story and script'll be and just what segment of the viewing population MGM's angling for.

#12 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Deacon_Frost

No Jesus never !

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Robinson

........ down to what the story and script'll be and just what segment of the viewing population MGM's angling for.

It will be the same viewing population that made Die Another Day the top grossing Bond film of all time . Certainly not traditional Bond fans .

#14 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 04:30 AM

Originally posted by Deacon_Frost

Thanks for your Input Deacon, but I asked which of these four do you think should direct a Bond film.

Cheers.

#15 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 10:36 AM

Icephoenix, the one who wins this poll won't be the director most suitable. Fans generally go for directors they know (McTiernan) or directors who already directed a Bond film (Campbell or Tamahori). Jon Amiel is definately the most suitable (and realistic) choice, but he won't win, because most people don't know who he is. But most fans didn't know who Campbell, Spottiswoode, Apted and Tamahori were before EON hired them, so nothing much has changed.

I have to wonder though, why these four directors and not more realistic choices like Stephen Hopkins, Roger Donaldson, Michael Caton-Jones and Stuart Baird?