24 replies to this topic

#1 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 05:48 PM

I love a good laugh as much as anyone, but I'm looking to be surprised here. So here goes...how would many of you rate the much-maligned A View to a Kill? C'mon, be honest, I know some of you out there thought it was good.

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 05:57 PM

Liked:
Parachute jump from Eifel Tower
Rock salt shotgun scene
Stacy’s miner coveralls
The horseracing subplot
Scarpine

I won’t say anything else except that A View to a Kill is my twenty-first favourite Bond film.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 06:34 PM

I like it quite a bit. Sure Rog is old, but at least he doesn't wear a pink shirt and wince when he drinks (of course, he never drinks Siamese Vodka).

By the way, aren't dirigibles meant to be silent, therefore it is perfectly reasonable for a blonde to not realise there is one behind her, even if James Bond is yelling and pointing at it.

#4 DieAnotherDay57

DieAnotherDay57

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 06:52 PM

Belive it or not i thaught it was good . The music by Duran Duran was good the skiing scene was good with the little submarine that looked like an iceberg . Also the Eifel Tower parachute was good and theres way more that I liked about the movie but im not gona list everything.

#5 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 06:58 PM

5/10

The Moore/McNee stuff is quite good, genuinely amusing in parts. The Eifel Tower jump is impressive, as is the action in the mine. The fight on the bridge is brilliant, very memorable, realistic and tense. Christopher Walken is a great villain.

The horse racing stuff is (in my opinion) pretty dull, a lot of stuff in the first half of the film happens purely for the sake of it, as if they're just trying to pass the time (everything that happens before they get to the mine could really have been done in half the time). The chase with the fire engine and police cars is interesting, but silly (what was Roger Moore Bond's obsession with destroying police cars?).

AVTAK might be the first Bond film I saw, and I used to love it, but when I watched it recently it seemed to have aged more than a lot of the older Bond films. So that's why I've given it 5/10 ... it's half way there (a bit like DAD).

... And I didn't even mentioned the ridiculous California Girls pre-title sequence.

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 01:36 AM

I give it a 9.5/10. I was just watching it today and I think it's a great movie. The title song, AVTAK, is one of the best Bond songs next to Goldfinger and LALD.

#7 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 04:44 AM

i give it a ten, its my fav. bond film, and a super great bond movie. some like to make fun of it but thats ok cause if they dont know a great bond film thats there problem

#8 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:43 AM

i give it a 6 and a half, its very enjoyable to watch. there may be a few things wrong with it, but overall its still a great bond film

#9 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 03:20 PM

It was one of my favorites--Roger was good as always and Zorin was a good sadistic, genetically-engineered villain--Golden Gate Bridge scene one of the greatest action scenes ever--not the best bond, but definitely underrated

#10 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 03:27 PM

If anything this film is underrated. I remember the first time I saw it and absolutely loved it. Although with repeated viewings it did lose some of it's credibility with me. Namely:

57 year old Roger Moore
Scenes where stuntmen are clearly visible
John Barry's grandad version of the Bond theme
Stacey Sutton (arrgggh!)
Dodgy models in pre-title and blimp
Title sequence - Re-used shots from TSWLM

And too many other things that I can't be bothered to list. It seems like a rush job to me and as you probably know there were budget cuts. These are quite evident in the way the film has been made, far away from the sense of perfection theat FYEO and OP convey.

Although if you don't watch it for a while and then go back to it - it's great!

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 04:14 PM

It's one of my favorite of the James Bond series. I started a big long thread awhile back entitled "I think I am AVTAK's only fan" and I was really surprised that a large number of CBners also really like the movie.

#12 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:28 PM

7 ish.

Good film, but Roger was past it, so was Moneypenny, Stacy is pretty daft and Mayday is irritating.

Give me some Jenny Flex anyway though :)

#13 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:46 PM

I'd give it 5/10.

It's not my least favourite Bond movie (that "honour" goes to LTK) but its close to it.

I like the first European half. It's great fun, very entertaining and it was very sad to see Mr McNee leave the movie. Once it moved over to the USA it quickly losted my interest.

#14 bonddur

bonddur

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:49 PM

AVTAK was one of the coolest Bond movie - and I still love this film title. It's a pure Bond movie complete with suspense and action and of course the Bond girls.

IT's also one of the coldest Bond movies. Look at Zorin, he is a complete nut, he drowns, shoots and then electricutes all those miners.

And Roger Moore is great - so what if he is 57 - I love the way he sneaks into Zorin's lair. Wonderful dialogue.

As well, you can't tell me Moore is not the cold, heartless Bond we know him to be. When MayDay kills Aubergine, Moore doesn't want to question her - he just plain wants to shoot her for killing his source of information.

ANd the scene in Sutton's house, you see Moore use the shotgun at point blank range to kill Zorin's henchman. You say his face when he finds out that Stacy put rocksalt in the gun and not real bullets?

I love Roger Moore - and I am glad he stayed around to do AVTAK.

ALso the best theme song is for this movie, great lyrics - just look at my signature.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 06:10 PM

Okay, here's a treat for all you AVTAK fans. A one-of-a-kind concept drawing for a never used AVTAK poster (taken with my nifty new digital camera). It's too bad because I think this would have been a nice 1-sheet. Imagine it fleshed out in color. Enjoy! :)

#16 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:12 PM

3/10

I'm sorry, but few things click for me with this film.

#17 TB65

TB65

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:39 PM

I thought it was a very good Bond film. It's one of the best of the Roger Moore era. I think Roger Moore was the best bond for action and bond girls...and this movie delivered!

#18 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:54 PM

For me, 5 1/2 out of 10.

Liked:

Eiffel Tower sequence
Cristopher Walken as Zorin
Patrick MacNee
Scenes in Zorin's stables and the horse race
Finale on Golden Gate Bridge

Disliked:

Everything else.

Sorry, but just screams 80's from the moment the titles begin. Also, May Day was good, but just freakish in some parts. I won't even get into Roger's state in the film.

#19 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 11:34 PM

Since people are not going to be able to look past Moore's age, they are not going to see that his performance in AVTAK is one of his best. Much more serious than what he did in Octopussy. There is nothing cheesy, silly or obnoxious about the way Moore plays his final Bond role. Someone at Superman Cinema wrote today that they thought the battle on the Golden Gate Bridge was the only time they felt Moore was really in danger and it looked like he may lose the fight.

#20 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 11:48 PM

To elaborate on Rog- put simply, his spirit and acting were there, but his bones weren't.

#21 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:52 PM

I loved AVTAK, but it ranks under OP, FYEO, TSWLM, and LALD. But thats not to say I don't like it, it just shows how much I like Moore's films.

#22 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 08:22 PM

Well this is tough . I have a soft spot for James Bond period . I will watch any film regardless of how much editing or how weak the plot . The things that A View To A Kill has in it's favor are .

1. John Barry's score
2. The stunt work is superb
3. Grace Jones as a Baddie turned good
4. Patrick Mcgee
5. Christopher Walken is not that bad as a Bond Villian
6. Tanya Roberts performance grow on one over the years
7 Poor old Roger Moore was not that bad compared to Vin Diesal in XXX !

Rating - 6.9

Weak Bond films beats anyone poor attempts to join the action-adventure club.

#23 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 09:36 AM

What a view...

to a kill...

yes, it reminds me of death!

I say - who hsn't looked at a sunset and immediately thought homocidal thoughts. I know I regularly get up in the morning, look at the beautiful sun coming up over the brilliant blue waves of the Pacific Ocean and think about murdering lots and lots of people for no apparent reason - perhaps shooting them, or drowning them or squishing them in big chompie machines. Come on guys - own up to your homocidal thoughts...

as to the Bond chick - Tracey

May a thousand rotting animals be stuffed into your colon. Oh dear Lord - did that woman have the acting ability of a decomposing chipmunk or what?

"James, James... don't leave me James" - Leave her James - leave her to burn and suffer horribly!!!!!! Evil laugh.

Mayday

I love the bit when she comes back and finds Roger Dodger in her bed - and he says something Rogerish and they proceed to 'do the horizontal tango' - EWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

and I reackon you could have balanced a tray on her crew cut...

Tippit

Well old Patrick just rocks, but then any man who can strangle someone with an umbrella while holding a champagne glass rocks in my books.

Roger

Wish he had been a bit more frugal with the mission brown Grecian 2000.

- and Roger... snowboarding? Please that is almost as ludicrous as Pierce surfing a tsunami on an old car bonnet.

What a cool movie - I mean where else, but in eighties movie land could you have a guy called Mr Egg Plant getting killed by a poisoned butterfly while having lunch at the Eiffel Tower...

and as to the next Bond movie - I say let the production values slip, spring the script on Pierce at the last moment, watch the corny one liners fly and everyone think homocidal thoughts. Whooo Hooo!

#24 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 11:55 AM

Originally posted by General Koskov
By the way, aren't dirigibles meant to be silent, therefore it is perfectly reasonable for a blonde to not realise there is one behind her, even if James Bond is yelling and pointing at it.

For the record, Zorin did not have a dirigible, he had a blimp. Dirigibles, unlike blimps, have a skeleton so they keep their shape even when not filled with gas.

But you are pretty much correct, blimps are very quiet, though they do generally have engine noise. It would be simple enough to either have quiet engines or just shut the engines off. So it is certainly more reasonable that Zorin’s blimp went unheard than it was for Arnold’s Harrier to go unheard in True Lies.

#25 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 05:33 PM

actually this movies has grown on me allot!! My problem with it is.. I had a bad movie going experence seeing it!

I saw For your eyes only & Octopussy in the movie theater! and they were both major times in my life! they were just amazing movie going experences..(mostly Octopussy, maybe because I was a little older and could understand it all better.. I was 12-13 years old..) for your eyes only was really the first adult movie/blended for kids too .. but had adult in it enjoying it as much as the teens & kids.. BUT I was like 10 maybe?

so when I saw Octopussy 7 times in the theater!!! EVERYTIME the crowd would react in the correct spots.. but it was more of an adult movie.. so I LOVED it because it was something I understood.. and adults liked!

but for A View to a Kill.. I was chasing that feeling!! again.. I saw 2 Bond Movies and most think are the best or in the top 7 of everyones list.. but when I went a week after it came out, I couldn't get anyone to go with me.. my age.. no one older.. so I went alone! well in a 700 seat theater.. there was ME & maybe 6 other people.. so that turned me off right off the bat..

BUT now that I watch it.. and knowing all the fires and problems making it. I think it has aged very very well!!!! :)

* The PreTitle sequence is just average

* France, The Horse Race, The horse Auction/Zorin/ Bond undercover, Zornin & Bond racing on horses IS ALL GREAT!!!!!!! also the very end with the Mine, The Golden Gate Bridge IS ALL GREAT!!!!!

**the Problem is the middle! they needed to snip some of it down..this is really the ONLY John Glen Movie which doesn't flow perfectly! The Middle is just off..

But saying that there is allot to like! I give it out of 10

6 / 10

* I guess being spoiled by all the other Roger Moore Movies & John Glenn always being perfect!! (plus comparing it to the... for you eyes only & octopussy which were right before that one.. ) it is a little off story wise..

I guess when you compare it to ALL of Pierce's in which ALL his stories are off .. too long.. and or don't make sense/boring..

A View to a Kill is pretty good and Better then all of his. ( Tomorrow never dies is probably his best one.. and tied with A view to a kill)