This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

For Special Services - The Best of Gardner ?

29 replies to this topic

#1 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 01:56 PM

Just begun re-reading "For Special Services" . I enjoy Gardner's SPECTRE Trilogy . Yet i loved Gardner effective use of irony in For Special Services" . Does any one else like the novel.

#2 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 01:58 PM

It's nice to see Bond in Texas. Don't mess with Texas...sorry, I had to type that, the devil made me do it! Seriously, it's a good book. Takes Bond into a place you'd not expect, but does it in a way you really enjoy. Didn't like the last 1/3 much.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 04:59 PM

I really love FSS. Gardner's first 3 books are all excellent.

#4 DieAnotherDay57

DieAnotherDay57

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 05:04 PM

I dont no about this book but as you describe it it looks good.

#5 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 05:55 PM

Again I say, that this book SCREAMS to be made into a film. At the risk of having my MI6 pub licence revoked I have to say that I miss SPECTRE.

You always knew where you stood. They we're the bad guys and wanted their piece of the pie or the world. Clear and simple.

You could always count on Blofeld to give his "master plan spill-the-beans" speech and show you where the self destruct button was.

FSS is great - the teaser, the hotel room fight in NYC, the elevator in DC, Cedar, Saab vs. Cobra race, and the new take on SPECTRE. Damn good read and potential for a great film.

*Bryce begins researching Kevin McClory's whereabouts and plans a late night visit*

#6 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 08:02 PM

FSS was great, and probably my favorite Gardner novel. I especially liked the ending, but I won't spoil it for you kevrichardson, if you haven't got there yet.

#7 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 08:05 PM

I just purchased this book at a used book store. It sounds good, I can't wait to start reading it.

#8 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Righty007
I just purchased this book at a used book store. It sounds good, I can't wait to start reading it.

enjoy it a great Gardner Bond continuation novel . Would make a great Bond Film.

#9 Kernal Son

Kernal Son

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 03:04 AM

It's my favorite Gardner book. Lots of fun.

#10 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:52 PM

Funny, I actually just started re-reading Gardner. (I bought and read them all in around 1990, then each new one, every year after, but don't remember anything about them, so I figured it was time.) As we speak, I have about 40 pages left to read on my ride home. (I don't drive to work, that would be dangerous.) Anyway, I love the story itself but, man, I don't know, the only thing I do remember from 13 years ago is the identity of "Blofeld" and it kinda bothers me. Not nearly as much as Leiter's daughter bothers me, though. I keep waiting for James Bond, Jr. (I can't believe I just said that) to show up. I also wasn't crazy about re-introducing SPECTRE because it reminds me of Kevin McClory, but I'm nitpicking. But the story itself is great otherwise.

While I'm here, I should mention that I also just finished Licence Renewed. It took me a while to get over the fact that I wasn't reading Fleming and to just shut up and enjoy it, but then it happened. I got totally enthralled and found myself muttering, "Bond is Back." (Geek.) But, now I'm hooked again, and I have a dozen or so to go. I'll probably keep coming back here for feedback, as I continue. (Warning, I read slow.)

#11 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 02:05 PM

Just re-read License Renewed after read Casion Royale first . I was struck by the different writing styles also . This lead me to fine a copy of "For Special Services" . The return of Blofeld angle was okay in my opinion . It would amke a interesting films . Due to all the loses ends of the Blofeld/ Bond relationship . Once i finish i will move on to the final 2 novels in Gardner SPECTRE trilogy .

#12 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 12:48 AM

FSS is a good read, but my main gripe is the introduction of Cedar Leiter and Nena Blofeld. a) There has never been any mention prior to the book of Leiter being married or having children. Whilst it's not impossible that Felix has got children, it does make me feel of Bond as a bit of an old geezer in this book; :) Ernst Stavro Blofeld was said to be asexual, so how has he produced a daughter?
But apart from that, FSS is a thoroughly enjoyable read.

#13 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 04:57 AM

Good point about Blofeld's sex life.

FSS isn't my favourite Gerdner (that would be LR's position), but it's certainly good. Reminds me of DAF a bit, what with the travelling the US by car (and the funny thugs).

What happens with Bond and Cedar in the end? I seem to remember being relived that they stayed out of bed, but I'm having doubts. If the did, it would explain why Felix dissapears for the next ten years!

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 03:38 PM

Yes, Bond doesn't bed Cerdar (even though she wants it and she wants it bad). In fact, I think Gardner makes of point of saying that in Bond's mind it will forever be platonic. The first hint of Gardner's "You take the bed, I'll sleep by the door" Bond?

Still, I really like FSS. I love the fact that the villain has recreated Tara (the house from Gone With The Wind) out in the middle of the Texas desert with a full car racetrack set up for fun and games. Now that's just strange enough to be in Bond story! I miss outrageous lairs like this. I love lairs that grow out of the villain's twisted mind.

#15 sausagebrigade

sausagebrigade

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 11:59 AM

Can I be the spoilsport? I really disliked FSS, much like most of the Gardner books I've read. A lot of it reminded me of bits from LR, and I felt the revelation at the end lacked power. Also, I hate Gardner's use of dialogue. Sorry guys...

#16 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 06:03 PM

Finished it Friday. Bond's definitely geezer-ish with everybody's kids around. Overall, I think, not as good as Licence Renewed, which had a more exciting conclusion. I think he (Gardner) should also be a bit more complex than poisoned ice cream and one-boobed ladies, but from what I remember, things got better with Icebreaker, which I'll begin tomorrow.

#17 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:50 AM

Originally posted by scaramanga
Ernst Stavro Blofeld was said to be asexual, so how has he produced a daughter?

I was under the impression that Blofeld was married to Irma Bunt in "You Only Live Twice" the novel . So how could he be asexual ?

#18 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:05 PM

Maybe he had some of his sperm cryogenetically frozen for a later time? Ala Scott Not quite Evil Evil?

#19 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:11 PM

Seriously i thought that the whole issue of Blofeld having a daughter worked rather well . Nena Blofeld having a blood lust for Bond was a nice touch . The reconsitituted SPECTRE was better than Gardner later attempts . Still the first 6 novel are among his best work .

#20 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:29 PM

I thought FSS was Gardner's weakest SPECTRE novel.

The whole part of Bond hooking up at the end with Leiter's daughter turned my stomach a bit.

I find Role of Honor and Nobody Lives Forever far superior.

#21 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:33 PM

Originally posted by B007GLE

The whole part of Bond hooking up at the end with Leiter's daughter turned my stomach a bit.  

I guess that you never saw any of the later Roger Moore Bond films ! Remember Moore and Tanya Roberts at the end of "A View To A Kill" . The same principle . Elderly gentleman , younger women .

#22 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 01:29 PM

We're not sayin' we like that either.

#23 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 11:03 PM

I just started reading FSS the other night. I have read John Gardner's NLF and NDMB and I didn't really like them. But, I love FSS and I think its one of the best Bond continuation novels I've read so far.

#24 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 02:18 PM

I quite like this book.
I love Bismaquer lair in Texas, the villain Walther Luxor is great, and the plot is interesting. The car race is very good too.
But the story with ice-creal is dull and Markus Bismaker falling in love with Bond and trying to save him is really stupid!

#25 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 02:25 PM

I liked the end with Cedar Leiter, because I didn't see it as Bond "hooking up" with her, but that Bond treated her as his daughter, something he has never experienced...hence Felix saying, "the gift of a daughter"- I took that as he was giving Bond a daughter.

#26 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Cesari
[B
I love Bismaquer lair in Texas, the villain Walther Luxor is great, and the plot is interesting. The car race is very good too.
But the story with ice-creal is dull and Markus Bismaker falling in love with Bond and trying to save him is really stupid! [/B]

A lot of the book reminds me of On Her Majesty Secret Service . Especially the Chemical Agent used to brainwish people . The Ice Creme aspect is a little weird . The homosexuality of Markus Bismaquer is similar to the Scarmanga problem in The Man With Golden Gun .

#27 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 01:37 AM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
A lot of the book reminds me of On Her Majesty Secret Service .  Especially the Chemical Agent used to brainwish people .  The Ice Creme aspect is a little weird . The homosexuality of Markus Bismaquer is similar to the Scarmanga problem in The Man With Golden Gun .

Is Scaramanga a homosexual in The Man With The Golden Gun?

#28 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:58 PM

Is Scaramanga a homosexual in The Man With The Golden Gun?

Like Markus Bismasquer in For Special Services he was "in love" with Bond . It was a element that was "toned-down" in the novel . remember Man With The Golden Gun was Fleming last novel . And was un finished due to Fleming 's death . So serveral others including Kingleys Amis of "Colonel Sun" fame. Worked on the book .

#29 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 01:18 AM

I finished FSS the other night. It was the best Gardner book I have ever read and one of the best Bond books I have read.

#30 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 11:29 AM

I finished FSS the other night. It was the best Gardner book I have ever read and one of the best Bond books I have read.

Pleased that you enjoyed the Novel . I felt that it is one of Gardner's best Bond novels . Also it was a great way to re-establish SPECTRE as a foe for Bond .