26 replies to this topic

#1 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:00 PM

"Cork actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers could be the one to take the James Bond baton from Pierce Brosnan after he did a screen test with the franchise's producers in London last week.

Johnny O'Keefe, better known as Jonathan Rhys Meyers, a proud Corkonian was actually born in Dublin.

After performances in Velvet Goldmine and Bend it like Beckham the young Irishman has come to prominence for his striking good looks aswell as his acting abilities.

According to reports, Meyers met with the James Bond organisation representative Linda Broccoli in London last week for an initial screen test.

Fellow Irishman Pierce Brosnan (50), is contracted to one more Bond but the producers are said to be anxious to have his successor lined up well in advance.

Other actors thought to be in the running include Gerard Butler, Clive Owen and Nick Moran.

Here at ShowBiz Ireland we feel that Colin Farrell would be a better choice to fill Pierce's shoes after a convincing performance as a CIA agent in The Recruit... "

(Source: ShowBiz Ireland)

#2 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:15 PM

Whew, I thought they said John Rhys-Davies. Sallah as Bond? O-kay.....

#3 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:37 PM

I attached a picture of Meyers with this message. Jonathan Rhys Meyers was born July 27, 1977 in Dublin, Ireland. First made his mark in 'Michael Collins' (1996) as Collins' assassin. Director Neil Jordan wrote about his meeting with the actor, "I have found someone to play Collin's killer. Jonathan Rees-Myers (sic), from County Cork apparently, who looks like a young Tom Cruise. Comes into the casting session with alarming certainty. Obviously gifted."

Rhys Meyers continued working constantly from that point and appeared in such films as, 'The Governess' (1998), 'B. Monkey' (1998), 'Titus' (1999), 'Ride with the Devil' (1999/I), 'Bend it Like Beckham' (2002) & 'The Lion of Winter' (2003), playing Philip II (a part made famous by Timothy Dalton in the 68 version). He has received critical acclaim for several performances, most notably as Brian Slade in 'Velvet Goldmine' (1998), where he performed his own vocals. His next film will be the Clive Owen starrer 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead' directed by Mike Hodges. Rhys Meyers resides in County Cork, Ireland.

#4 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:41 PM

That's not James Bond. If it is, they might as well get Britney Spears in the movie, like they did with Madonna in the last one.

#5 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:00 PM

Don't forget Timothy Dalton was approached when he was about Meyers age. The next James Bond will take over no sooner than 2007. Meyers will turn thirty that year. One year older than George Lazenby and the same age as Connery when he was cast. Meyers is only three years older than me, but he already looks like he's in his late twenties. Sure he looks to green at the moment, but I understand why Barbara invited him for an interview. She also invited Ioan Gruffudd when he was still too young to play Bond. They are looking for potential actors, not someone who can take over immediately.

That said, I don't think he'll become one of the top contenders. Meyers is 5'7 (according to IMDB). That's way too short to play Bond. Unless this figure is not accurate, I don't see how Meyers could end up with the part. But it's always interesting to find out who actually interviewed for the part. Meyers is an accomplished actor. That's always a plus. I've included another picture. Bear in mind that he'll age at least 4 years untill Brosnan steps down.

#6 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:18 PM

I hope they give Colin Farrell a chance at Bond. He is so good in The Recruit, Phone Booth and Minority Report. He was even the best thing in DareDevil (which was a terrible film).

He has the looks, is a great actor, really can play different types of people unlike some actors who can only play one type of character (monotonous in a way). And he even looks the part for Bond.

#7 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:31 PM

At 5'9 I think Colin is a little too short to play Bond. All the previous Bond actors have been around 6'2. Also he doesn't seem to have the class. He curses in every interview. And why would he even want to play Bond if directors like Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg and Oliver Stone are interested in working with him. He would sell himself short when he signs a three picture deal.

#8 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:43 PM

Um, who's Linda Broccoli?
So obviously fake just look at the clues

#9 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 10:06 AM

Just because ShowBiz Ireland got Barbara's name wrong doesn't mean this report isn't true. But of course I'm not sure how reliable a source ShowBiz Ireland is. Meyers does fit EON's profiel. If he's in fact taller than 5'7 (preferably 6' or taller), I think Meyers could be one of the top contenders alongside Ioan Gruffudd (see attached picture). I have a feeling EON is already coaching young actors to replace Brosnan. But curious is the fact that Gruffudd also isn't taller than 6' (for the record, he's 5'11). Expect the next Bond to be in his early thirties when he is cast.

#10 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 11:47 AM

You got to be kidding . Jonanthan Rhys Meyers ! I am afraid that it will be Hugh Jackman .

#11 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 02:28 PM

Of course Jackman is the most likely candidate, but here's the thing; Jackman will headline 'Van Helsing', a movie with a budget on par with 'Die Another Day' (to date the most expensive Bond movie ever made); $160 million. If this movie becomes a big hit, chances are that Jackman will not have enough time or be too expensive for Bond.

And after testing actors like Gruffudd and Meyers, maybe EON is again looking for someone who can stick around for at least five films. Someone like Connery or Lazenby who is around thirty years of age. And with the exception of his height, I don't think Meyers is that bad a choice. He's a terrific actor and he has changed so much the last couple of years. With five to six years, I'm sure he'll look perfect for the part. But don't get me wrong, unless this height thing is not right, I doubt he'll be a top contender. But it's interesting nevertheless Barbara talked with him.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 04:56 PM

Oh, please... Another tabloid rumor. Hardly worth a post.

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 05:18 PM

Originally posted by zencat
Oh, please... Another tabloid rumor. Hardly worth a post.

Hurrah for some balanced judgement . I rather concertrate on if Bond 21 will be filmed in 2004 . Than on some unattactive second rate actor . That EON is using to as leveage against Brosnan's return .

#14 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 07:49 PM

How do you know this is just "another tabloid rumor"? Is 'ShowBiz Ireland' a tabloid? If this is the case, maybe you are right and this story doesn't contain any truth. But if you don't know for sure whether or not 'ShowBiz Ireland' is known for reporting nonsense, I don't see why this isn't interesting to post. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is very much like Timothy Dalton when he was offered Bond. Hell, they even played the same character in 'The Lion of Winter'. If Meyers turns out to be taller than imdb says he is, I think he's a very interesting choice. Critics compared his method of acting with Daniel Day Lewis. If Meyers talked to Barbara Broccoli, how can you not find this interesting?

And kev, I rather concentrate on my spelling :)

#15 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 07:58 PM

That's not James Bond. If it is, they might as well get Britney Spears in the movie, like they did with Madonna in the last one.

Agree with you all way, ChandlerBing. It looked like he escaped from one of Britney's videos. I don't know why this guy would even be screen testing seeing that Brosnan is doing the next one in three years, and perhaps even the one after that.

#16 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 08:18 PM

Originally posted by SirMiles83
I don't know why this guy would even be screen testing seeing that Brosnan is doing the next one in three years, and perhaps even the one after that.

Why? Because he's an amazing actor that's why. And by the time Brosnan steps down, he may have aged enough to play Bond. EON is known for approaching potential Bond actors years in advance. Timothy Dalton was tested 18 years before he got the part. Brosnan 13 years. And you know what? They didn't look the part then either. But EON did keep in contact with the actors so that by the time they needed a new actor, they would know EON wanted to use them.

#17 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 10:25 PM

That guy just looks weird. He seems to have stolen Denise Richard’s lips. I guess I’ll never understand the modern ‘pretty boy’.

#18 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix
That guy just looks weird. He seems to have stolen Denise Richard’s lips. I guess I’ll never understand the modern ‘pretty boy’.

In Brosnan Remington Steele day he was considered a "Pretty Boy" . In fact he made the cover of Newsweek on the subject in the early 80's . Personally i loved Denise Richards lips !

#19 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 11:21 PM

Brosnan didn't screen test for Bond until 1986 and he was offered the part after that screen test, then and there. They didn't audition him 8 years in advance hoping he'd age into the role later by '94. Dalton was offered the role in '69, again they planned to give him the role then not 17 years later. At both times there was NO Bond of record. Connery and Moore had both "retired" from the series, there was open casting. There IS a Bond of record now and to be frank he'd have every right to be seriously pissed off if they were auditioning guys to replace him after they've told everyone the job is his as long as he wants it and he's already agreed to do the next Bond.

Frankly the story is a lot of hooey. If they can't get Barbara Broccoli's name right they don't deserve to be taken seriously as reporters. If they can't fact check that then they obviously can't be bothered to fact check period. It's like so many Bond stories, completely bogus bull bleep.

Oh and in '86 and '69 Brosnan and Dalton still both looked like men, this guy looks like a boy. That and like Mr * says he has Denise Richards lips, only more of them.

#20 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra
There IS a Bond of record now and to be frank he'd have every right to be seriously pissed off if they were auditioning guys to replace him after they've told everyone the job is his as long as he wants it and he's already agreed to do thenext Bond....

I loved your post MBE . I leep saying that Bond is in serious trouble if these loser like Dominic West , This dude and several other get the nod . Cubby Broccoli must be spining in his grave .

#21 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra
Brosnan didn't screen test for Bond until 1986 and he was offered the part after that screen test, then and there.

According to klast.net, Brosnan was one several actors who auditioned for the part back in 81 (14 years prior to 'GoldenEye') to give Roger Moore a scare during contract renegotiations (or perhaps in a genuine attempt to replace him). So back then there indeed was a Bond of record. I don't see how this case is different.

Fact is that EON has already auditioned several actors since Brosnan took over. These actors include Jonathan Cake, Ioan Gruffudd, Paul McGann and now Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Thusfar I haven't heard Brosnan complaining. Of course not, because he knows EON has to find someone suitable to take over after he steps down. And since Gruffudd and Meyers are obviously too young to replace Brosnan now, I doubt Pierce would feel threatened by them.

And Meyers just doesn't not seem to me the kind of actor who winds up in a bogus story. He's too unknown for that. Only moviebuffs know who he is. I agree that he doesn't look like he could play Bond in the near future, but you might be surprised how he will look eight years from now.

And kev, please don't join a discussion where the only "interesting" comment you can write is "these loser like Dominic West" (hell, it's not even spelled correctly). Fact is that Cubby himself auditioned actors like James Brolin and considered Adam West, so I doubt he would mind. Remember that Meyers has not received an offer to play Bond (as I've stated before, I doubt he will become a top contender because of his height), but I'm glad EON is looking at quality actors (something you obviously don't know anything about). Can't wait to find out who will be the next actor EON will test for the part.

#22 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 05:43 PM

Hello CrashDrive good to here from you . Brosnan is actually in the drive seat . Since his Bond films have gross closed to 1.5 billind dollars . With Die Another Die breaking all types of records . With the DVD sale all ready starting . I understand EON has a history of giving different actor screen test . Just in case , yet EON has more to lose if Brosnan now walks away . It would be hard for a new Bond to take over now . The situation is similar to when Connery left in 1969 .

#23 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 07:22 PM

Fact is that EON has already auditioned several actors since Brosnan took over. These actors include Jonathan Cake, Ioan Gruffudd, Paul McGann and now Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

Sorry, the fact is that those aren't fact's just rumors, unconfirmed by EON and often inititiated by agents who want to get some free publcity for their clients by assocating them with Bond. It's not any different than all the stories about all the women supposedly being pursued to be Bond girls, Ash being the latest example of that. Heck, EON should start charging people for leeching press off their hot commodity.

And really just look at the source for this latest Rhyes-Meyer's info... Showbiz Ireland... he's Irish... ergo they're more interested in stories of him being the next Bond, even flimsy ones they don't bother to fact check. Just as many of the Welsh papers always bring up that Ioan Gryffuth is the hot contender for the new Bond, and Scottish ones lean toward Dougray Scott or Ewan McGregor. Coincidence, I think not, just merely home country boosterism. As for the "veracity" of ShowBiz Ireland they also said the Irish Samantha Mumba and Jean wahtsherface from Lord Of the Dance were on their way to being Bond girls in DAD. Yeah, that happenned.

As for the auditions (not screen tests which are much more elaborate) in '81, at that time Roger was then balking about returning, was not signed to a contract, and it was also a game Cubby played with him all the time to try and get his price down. Just as they did before FYEO. But even so those auditions were for the actor to be the Bond in the upcoming picture, not to have some people on file so they could be Bond 5 -15 years later. Just because Brosnan became Bond years later doesn't mean that's what they intended at the time, ditto with Dalton, they were considered for a present role not a future one.

All these other rumors have EON auditioning guys for some unknown future time after Brosnan retires. Brosnan has already publically agreed to do Bond 21 and there are more than a few hints he may be interested in Bond 22. The situation is just not comparable to Moore's in the early 80's when they thought they might need a new Bond immeadiatley, not 5-7 years down the line.

So the only reason I could see for the auditions would be game playing to get Brosnan's price down, but as Kevin said Brosnan is pretty much in the driver's seat (within reason) when it comes to negotiations for Bond 21 and it's not as if he doesn't know it, EON doesn't know it and MGM doesn't know it. So any game playing via auditioning other actors to tweak him would pretty much be superfluous.

#24 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 09:44 PM

Well MBE, perhaps you are right. Of course EON did not confirm that Gruffudd, Cake and McGann tested. EON hardly ever comes clean about which actors were tested in the past (with the possible exceptions of Sean Bean, Sam Neill, John Gavin & James Brolin). Are you saying that the report that twelve actors auditioned in 94 (Owen, Northam, Grant, Paul, Bean, Frankel, Parker, Fiennes, Wise, Isaacs, Wells, Purefoy) is nothing more than a rumor, just because EON did not confirm most of these actors?

You could be right that 'ShowBiz Ireland' isn't a very reliable source since the actor they mention in their article also happens to be Irish. No discussion there. The way I see it, maybe 'ShowBiz Ireland' is the only magazine that reports this news because other magazines don't seem to care. Take this board for example. I'm probably the only one who finds this article interesting, whereas an article about an Indian actress (I have never heard off) spawns no less than four different threads in the "Bond 21" section of this forum. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't see how 'ShowBiz Ireland's trackrecord is any worse than a great majority of the internet magazines around the world who have posted many ridiculous articles about the next Bond film (check the CBN newsarchives to see what I mean). Who knows? Maybe 'SI' have better sources (people who know or represent Meyers), since they are located in Ireland. Of course I will take this report with a grain of salt, but I won't dismiss it untill I hear from Meyers there is no truth to it whatsoever.

That said, make no mistake, I don't think Meyers is a suitable choice. He's definately not one of my choices. If the report turns out to be true, the only reason why I could fantom why Broccoli even talked to him is because she may find him to be an interesting candidate for in the future, since he's obviously not ready to don the tux just yet (just like Gruffudd). I always thought it was really conspicious how three out of five Bond actors were all approached by EON years in advance. I guess I just put 1 and 2 together. :)

#25 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 04:42 AM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix

You're right, Mr. A. Not exactly the most masculine fellow, is he. For me, I hope they go for either Clive Owen, Gerard Butler, or Ralph Fiennes.

Please, no Jonathan Rhys-Meyers. No offense to any rabid supporters out there, ahem...

#26 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 04:00 AM

Surprise surprise.... not

GQ Daily News:
http://www.gq-magazi...9811&SummaryId=

NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN
24 April 2003

Pierce Brosnan has signed up to do one more Bond film but insiders believe it may be the last one for the 50-year-old star. As the debate continues as to who will succeed him, enter Jonathan Rhys-Meyers. The star of Bend It Like Beckham reportedly met with James Bond representatives for a screen test. His agent denied these claims on Tuesday, dismissing them as

#27 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 08:07 PM

I stand corrected :)