7 replies to this topic

#1 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 05:43 AM

I recently saw in my local bookstore 'Martinis Girls And Guns', by Martin Sterling. I was all set to buy it till i saw its rather expensive price. Has anybody here read it, and is it worth buying? How much new information is in it, or is it full of information bond fans already know and can easily be found on the net? I'd apreciated hearing from anybody who has read it.

#2 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 06:17 AM

I thought it was an excellent book. It provides equal weight to the books as well as the films. The opinions are well expressed and refreshingly honest. Someones finally had the balls to admit what a truly terrible film
NSNA was. Well worth buying don't let the terrible cover put you off.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 07:11 AM

I too thought it was a brilliant book. I'd buy it alone for the material supplied by Sir John Morgan, Fleming's step-son. I've got a review in the Literary 007 section if you want to take a look at it.

#4 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 10:04 AM

I got this for Christmas but I've not read it yet. Had a quick glimpse or two and it look pretty good.

#5 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 06:41 PM

I also own it...but with life as it is, I haven't been able to dive into it. That being said, with this new information from Fleming's stepson, I will make a point of diving in.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 07:27 PM

I think I did a quick review of it in another thread. It's very good. No real new info, but a good all-in-one-place summation of the whole Bond story from Fleming to DAD. I'd say it's a must. But the best book for new information is "For Your Eyes Only: Behind the Scenes of the Bond Films" by David Giammarco. Weird layout, but lots of gems in this book.

#7 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 08:05 PM

Originally posted by zencat
I think I did a quick review of it in another thread. It's very good. No real new info, but a good all-in-one-place summation of the whole Bond story from Fleming to DAD. I'd say it's a must. But the best book for new information is "For Your Eyes Only: Behind the Scenes of the Bond Films" by David Giammarco. Weird layout, but lots of gems in this book.

That's one I've considered buying several times but just haven't done it yet. I may just do so now, once I recoup some more money after recent eBay binges and paying the taxman.

#8 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 10:42 AM

thanks for the advice, i think i will go pick it up