16 replies to this topic

#1 superracer0022

superracer0022

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:33 AM

I was just wondering which book we will be reading next. I know that my local book store has Dr. No and Goldfinger but if it is something else I will probably have to go to another store or order it online so I would like to know ahead of time if anybody knows.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:45 AM

Maybe we should wait until the end of the month when the brand new edition of LALD hits the store.

#3 superracer0022

superracer0022

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:56 AM

thats fine with me, i was just checking if it had been decided yet so i could pick it up ahead of time, but if it is not at my local book store i could always go to a borders when i get a chance so it is not biggie

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 05:59 PM

My first thought was to next read a Benson or Gardner novel and then come back to read Live and Let Die. We would procede with the odd books being the series books in order and the even books kind of random.

However, I’ve since decided it would be best just to leave it up to the club members. I think I know what most people would want to read next, but in a week or so I’ll put up a poll. In the mean time, post your suggestions here and we will add them to the poll.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix
My first thought was to next read a Benson or Gardner novel and then come back to read Live and Let Die. We would procede with the odd books being the series books in order and the even books kind of random.

However, I’ve since decided it would be best just to leave it up to the club members. I think I know what most people would want to read next, but in a week or so I’ll put up a poll. In the mean time, post your suggestions here and we will add them to the poll.

Yes, I like this idea. Let me think of my suggestions... I know HTTK is going to be in there.

#6 superracer0022

superracer0022

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 12:10 AM

i think i would like to read live and let die next, but i guess the poll will decide what we will actually read, and whatever we choose i will find eventually

#7 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 12:14 AM

Just trying to be random, I wouldn't mind DoubleShot. Just started reading it again anyway :)

#8 _JW_

_JW_

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 08:29 AM

A random suggestion from me is Moonraker. Those who haven't read the book can see just how much better it is than the film version.

#9 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 10:00 AM

Oh I don't mind any Fleming novel (except OHMSS as I've read that a couple of months ago) or Colonel Sun, not keen on Benson or Gardner as they aren't "proper Bond".

#10 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 07:31 PM

I think we should mix it up. Get the other authors in there so we can compare and contrast styles, Bonds, etc. And if you don't have the book already, it's great fun trying to get a hold of a copy!

#11 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 08:52 PM

I think we should read "Licence Renewed", then, like Johnson Galore said, we could compare and contrast the books.

#12 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 11:17 PM

Live and Let Die would be my choice. Its one of the three or four Bond books I haven't read yet. I just picked up a copy also. But if not, for a random choice, how about Brokenclaw?

#13 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 11:56 PM

Mixing them all up sounds like a good idea to me. Why dont we read each authors first book first? For example

CR (done) - CS - LR - ZMT?

Although we may want to save CS for a special occasion, being the only one produced by Robert Markham, and being pretty hard to find.

Then move on to the Authors second book.

LALD - FSS - TFOD

and then onto the third and so on...

#14 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 05:37 PM

I've no problem with LALD - I haven't read that yet, so if everyone else wants to read that - no problem.

I've only read a few of the Flemming's - so I'm not too sure - but would it be better for those who haven't read them, to do so in order so that the timeline flows? As in the events in the books - does Flemming recall moments from previous books?

#15 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Icephoenix
Mixing them all up sounds like a good idea to me. Why dont we read each authors first book first? For example

CR (done) - CS - LR - ZMT?

Then move on to the Authors second book.

LALD - FSS - TFOD

and then onto the third and so on...

I had the same thought Icephoenix...so it must be a good one;)

I'm behind this idea. I wouldn't mind reading Licence Renewed again....Although I am about halfway through LALD right now - on the train with Solitaire headed south....

CS is a bit of a wild card but could be slipped in down the road somewhere.

What does everyone think?

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 06:44 PM

Hey, now this is a very interesting idea. Yes, I like this. And I'm in the mood to read LR again.

#17 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the vote my friend;)

Let's get the ball rolling.