This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Is M. Night Shyamalan's 'UNBREAKABLE' any good?

35 replies to this topic

#1 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 10:58 PM

I've recently got into the films of M. Night Shyamalan having watched the Sixth Sense and then deciding to buy Signs on a whim. He seems like a very talented writer/director (although the same can't be said for his cameo acting). I loved both the Sixth Sense and Signs and now I was wondering whether or not I should buy Unbreakable on DVD. From what I've read it seems like an interesting film but seems to be one of those love it or hate it types.

Has anyone here seen it?

#2 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:48 PM

I liked The Sixth Sense and Signs a lot, but I really didn't like Unbreakable. I've heard of some people liking it, so you might like it if you're a harcore M. Night Shyamalan fan or you might just like it anyway. For me, I thought it was too slow-moving, with a lackluster climax and ending.

#3 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 04:37 AM

Definetly rent it first. I loved the sixth sense, and really enjoyed signs until its ending (which ruined the movie for me), but unbreakable isnt really up to the same standard as these two movies. its just a bit dull, with nothing terrible interesting happening. see it definetly, just dont buy it first.

#4 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:20 AM

Well, I for one am not a huge M. Night Shyamalan fan. He has potential, but in my opinion he hasn't reached it yet, though he's done some high quality work.

Having said that, I LOVED Unbreakable. Probably his most interesting (and sadly overlooked) film so far. The best film I've seen Bruce Willis in. Another great performance by Samuel L. Jackson. Darkly poetic camerawork. Clever music. In one word: great.

I liked Sixth Sense, but thought The Others was a better try at the same theme. I disliked Signs, especially Mel Gibson's character. And that twist ending that, well, wasn't much of a twist..

So yeah, check out Unbreakable. I hope you'll enjoy it.

#5 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:25 AM

"Unbreakable" explores the world of comic books, which is one of M. Night's favorite hobbies.

I like it enough to get it on DVD...while it does have a "twist" at the end, by no means is it a jaw-dropper like "The Sixth Sense".

#6 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:07 PM

What homerjbond said. You should rent the DVD as the DVD'll give you a complete experience- something that was lacking from the theatrical release.

I think it was too subdued for many tastes when it was released. However, I'm glad I own the DVD. It gets to the essence of what makes a superhero.

The deleted scenes are rather disturbing and I can see why they were omitted from the theatrical release.

Give it a look-see.

#7 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:14 PM

It's a very very dark film where everyone seems to be whispering all the time. Very dark, very slow. Many scenes are filmed in one continuous shot, a la Kubrick.

#8 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:14 PM

Personally, I loved it, and I'm really not much of a Shyamalan fan...

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:21 PM

Unbreakable is by far Shyamalan’s best film. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson both give career topping performances. The camera work is magnificent and very reminiscent of the pure comic book art of great artists such as Alex Ross, Frank Miller, and others. I remember thinking just before the film started its final scenes that it was truly the equal of The Sixth Sense, but by the time the credits rolled Unbreakable had completely overshadowed The Sixth Sense in my mind. I watch this film over and over.

#10 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:29 PM

I personally loved the ending of Unbreakable. I love the scene also in the train station as well. I have the soundtrack, which is one of James Newton Howard's best.

#11 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:56 PM

Loved Unbreakable. Liked the Sixth Sense. Then, I couldn't wait for Signs. Now, I want to shoot myself for spending $17.00 (with my wife) going to see Signs. Made me like the Sixth Sense a little bit less, but made me appreciate Unbreakable a little bit more.

I thought Bruce Willis was great, Sam Jackson amazing as always. I share the unpopular opinion that Unbreakable was Shyamalan's best work. I always thought that Signs was borderline silly and the Sixth Sense had too many holes for repeated viewings. (Take a movie like The Usual Suspects...even though upon repeated viewings, you know the ending, there are very few clues that would ruin it, just a few hints that kinda make you laugh, knowing the outcome.)

But as for the original question, yes, BUY the DVD. Great extras, and one really cool deleted scene. (The weightlifting.) (And a few crappy ones where you'll say "that's why it was deleted.")

#12 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Jriv71

But as for the original question, yes, BUY the DVD.  Great extras, and one really cool deleted scene. (The weightlifting.)  (And a few crappy ones where you'll say "that's why it was deleted.")

I'm thinking about the deleted "amusement park ride" scene. Yikes!

#13 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:33 PM

Thanks guys, I didn't think this topic would get such a response. I think I'll buy since I've found it cheap (2 disc set

#14 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:33 PM

Oh, ****, you're right, Robinson...TWO great deleted scenes. Maybe more, I just loved the weightlifting one.

#15 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 03:56 PM

Oh, good. I'm not the only one - I think Unbreakable is Shyamalan's best. I never really got into "The Sixth Sense" that much, and "Signs" started off really well, but I thought the ending was extremely hokey.

#16 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 05:13 PM

I don't know, I liked "Signs". Yes, the premise is silly, but I liked how the little things during the course of the movie (asthma, glasses of water, "swing away") coming together at the end.

Joaquin Phoenix provided some nice comic relief for an otherwise somber flick.

#17 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 12:22 PM

I think it was probably the "comic" relief that bugged me, more than the other stuff. Oh, yeah, and it looked to me as if Joaquin had never in his life picked up a bat before that moment.

#18 booyeah_

booyeah_

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 02:52 AM

I may be in the minority here, but Unbreakable is Shyamalan's best movie! Great script, acting and I liked the surprise ending. I have Unbreakable, Signs and even the Sixth Sense on DVD.

#19 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 10:32 AM

I really like Unbreakable....it's the best of the three...Sixth Sense is ok, but a bit overrated and I despise Signs...all that talent with a camera and yet he comes out with this ****, plus the twist endings are just becoming lame, Sixth Sense had a great one, Unbreakable's was good, but not unbelievable and Signs was just stupid....my opinion of course..

#20 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 11:58 AM

I didn't even think it was much of a twist. I rolled my eyes at both the water thing and the "swing away" nonsense. Although, he did a nice job of building tension throughout the film. That made the ending really disappointing.

#21 taxman2001

taxman2001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:53 PM

I feel that MNS's work has grown considerably over his last 3 films and each one improves on the last.

I guessed the twist ending to The Sixth Sense within the first 5 minutes of the movie but on repeated viewings the film becomes much more poignent and more about the characters than the plot.

*************** HERE BE SPOILERS - HIGHLIGHT TO REVEAL ***************

Unbreakable dared to be different from all the other Superhero movies out there in that it showed the realisation of the superhero that Brice Willis's character and his interation with those around him than the usual wham, bang, thank you ma'am scenarios that other Hollywood movies provide us with.

And Signs basically scared the **** out of me. An intelluctual alien invasion movie. Just thinking about the Brazillian video, the pantry door and the reflection in the tv will make me sleep with the bedroom light on tonight ...

#22 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:26 PM

Just watched UNBREAKABLE - it is by far one of the best films I have ever seen and I totally did not see that twist ending coming. I think more could have been done to tie the story in with the title though bu overall I give it 9/10.

#23 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:36 PM

Does anyone know if Shyamalan has plans to film any more to this story?
I read somewhere that Unbreakable was the first in an intended trilogy about the character of David Dunn. Does anyone know if he intends to do this as his next project or does he have something else in mind?

#24 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:49 PM

I heard somewhere that Shyamalan said the lukewarm reception (from fans and critics) for "Unbreakable" has discouraged him from doing a sequel (or trilogy). He might be persuaded though because now he's aware of a little "cult" following for that film.

His next project is supposedly going to be a romantic comedy...

#25 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 03:45 PM

Originally posted by homerjbond
His next project is supposedly going to be a romantic comedy...

..with a twist ending? That will be interesting.

#26 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 03:47 PM

Lol Sam!

#27 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 03:51 PM

Let's see...a ad exec runs into a waitress, hate each other, get to know each other, fall in love with each other and then...

...the ad exec is actually dead and the waitress realized her powers and becomes a super hero, while regaining her faith in God.

Have I covered all the bases?

#28 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 10:48 PM

I liked The Sixth Sense a LOT. I also liked Signs a good deal. I liked Unbreakable when I first saw it, but a lot of the magic has worn off. I think it was clever and cool, and myself being a comic book fan, it came across pretty darn neat. I'd say buy it. It's worth it.

#29 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 05:02 AM

Sixth Sense and Signs are better than Unbreakable.

#30 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 05:04 AM

M. Night Shyamalan always makes a cameo appearance in his movies. His idol, Alfred Hitchcock, who did the same in his own movies, was M Night's inspiration. :)